Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2996 2997 [2998] 2999 3000 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4219772 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44955 on: May 03, 2021, 06:01:36 pm »

If we're talking healthcare for what is basically an arbitrary group of people, why not just healthcare for all at that point?

COMMUNIST

Never mind that every other developed nation on earth has some form of state paid healthcare, they’re all communist.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44956 on: May 03, 2021, 06:23:19 pm »

If we're talking healthcare for what is basically an arbitrary group of people, why not just healthcare for all at that point?
That'd be better, sure. It's not an arbitrary group, though. If we're going to call folks essential and warrant it okay to throw them onto the front lines of a pandemic, they probably deserve something better than (less than) minimum wage for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44957 on: May 03, 2021, 06:53:15 pm »

No, I mean the GI bill that lead to broad middle-class prosperity for white families after WWII, by subsidizing college and mortgages. Not healthcare and not the VA.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44958 on: May 03, 2021, 06:56:29 pm »

That'd be better, sure. It's not an arbitrary group, though. If we're going to call folks essential and warrant it okay to throw them onto the front lines of a pandemic, they probably deserve something better than (less than) minimum wage for it.

They probably deserved better before there was a plague, but here we are.  Everyone deserves better from the self-proclaimed richest, most powerful country in the world, but here we are.

Its exactly like veterans.  We like to point at veterans and call them heroes but don't want to talk about ugly shit like shell shock or worse.  Yet we insist on waving the "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" slacktivism flag, because americans love the concept of a strong military and swinging the big stick but don't want to pay the human price.

'Essential Workers' was the exact same propaganda.  We get to call them big heroes and be proud of them.  Do heroes get paid?  No.  Do heroes get taken care of?  No.  We call them essential because we don't want to use the real, ugly term: expendable.

Anyways here's a 1,200$ stimulus check that fell off the back of an army budget truck, give it to your favorite rich guy.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44959 on: May 04, 2021, 02:57:27 am »

You'll be glad to hear the MSM's fact checking divisions (or at least WaPo's) are closing up now that Biden's president, then- not enough malarkey to sift through, or it's no longer worth clicks to make stuff up.

They're ending their presidential fact-checking database (because it's too much work, despite Biden only having "regular politician" levels of lying and not speaking as much,) but they've claimed they're still going to fact check him. (When they feel like it, I suppose.)
They fact checked Trump so much because he lied so much.

Like he lied an astronomical and pathological amount. He lied so much for so little reason that even as a politician his lying was actively hurting him and that it was clearly obvious that he was lying all the time instead of just being wrong. Like nearly everything else about Trump it was clearly 100% newsworthy.

On the flip side Biden is just kinda boring?
Like Trump was record-breaking for an American president in lies (and so many other things), while Biden is (at worst) a boring regular politician. And "Biden says some wrong stuff/lies, but not really a big amount compared to a regular politician" isn't really all that newsworthy.

The reason Biden is receiving less coverage from the fact-checkers then Trump is the same as the reason he's receiving less coverage from pretty much all the media. No, not because there's some liberal conspiracy, but because he isn't very exciting and is a lot more normal then Trump ever was.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44960 on: May 04, 2021, 04:25:06 am »

I think they should do a GI bill for people who had to work low-paying "essential" jobs during the pandemic. Your janitors, your grocery store stockers, etc.

I think this would be good. I worked through a period where unemployment paid more than I was taking home, while I lived with my old man, for a company hiring me through a temp service without hiring me in for 10 months. Then they, I assumed, got some quite nice tax cuts and visibly bought an air filter system that will continue to be be useful in the business during non-pandemic times (a wise choice, thoughtful towards a pandemic worker as welll). Finally my coworkers and I were getting the same stimulus checks as everyone else, but the first one took a really long time to get to me to the point I thought something had happened to it as a few seasons went by without it arriving (the next two both came very quickly).

So yeah it would be nice to get something extra out of it rather than Aristolean self satisfaction. I have a really great picture that explains why I did that, but apparently photobucket is maybe butts now so I don't really know a good spot I can post a simple picture without having to make an account. Any suggestions for a good image host? I used to have a photobucket I used for this crap but noscript suggests it probably has a metric butt ton of ads on it now and it pains me to reinstall operating system every month or have a slow af computer doing god knows hwhat. (the issue is I don't know which script to enable on photobucket as they've wily camoflauged the necessary script with a non identifying name among the mostly non identifying named ad scripts)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 04:40:39 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44961 on: May 04, 2021, 04:54:29 am »

(I think I currently use imgur as my go-to image-hoster now that tinypic has evaporated as an option. Noting that there's a slightly non-obvious click-chain to get to the "what I can [img-tag]" stage, I have no idea what side-deals I'm supposedly agreeing to and for all I know I'd have a much better time of it if I just went ahead and created an account rather than probably get tracked just as much/splurge my creative works just as widely while "anonymously" posting. So it'd be Caveat Uploador, naturally...)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44962 on: May 04, 2021, 05:00:28 am »

It's more laziness, I did black out some stuff and ran it through a meta cleaner and had someone else take the picture but really that's just common sense by now I think.

But yeah mostly it was because I just wanted to post 1 single picture and making an account seems unnecssary for that, especially when you add in the time to wiggle through noscript usage.

I'll see if I can make it through imgur though

Thanks Starver
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:49:16 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44963 on: May 04, 2021, 01:37:36 pm »

Postimages seems fine, although they've recently started capping image sizes to make money.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44964 on: May 09, 2021, 04:36:26 pm »

Go Liz Cheney, go Liz Cheney!!

I think the three things I like most about her are, she understands the need for a strong outward-facing military while understanding the dangers of inward-facing military, she relies on the meaning of her words and not on the emotional tone of her words, and she sticks to her political positions better than most (not that I agree with them all).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44965 on: May 09, 2021, 05:49:25 pm »

Too bad her own party wants to lynch her over not being real republican enough.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44966 on: May 09, 2021, 06:04:57 pm »

Too bad her own party wants to lynch her over not being real republican enough.
Sounds like an endorsement to me!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44967 on: May 09, 2021, 06:13:57 pm »

For a party that rails so hard against cancel culture, they indulge in it very well.

Edit for auto-corrupt.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:52:47 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44969 on: May 10, 2021, 12:51:59 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:32:29 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 2996 2997 [2998] 2999 3000 ... 3566