Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2994 2995 [2996] 2997 2998 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4219761 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44925 on: April 28, 2021, 09:46:18 am »

For a long time Guinness beer used fish bladder in the filtering process, actually - it was only a few years back that they finally phased it out and made it a proper vegan beer. (I swear it changed the taste.)

As to meat rationing and the like, there are proponents of limiting meat consumption as an emissions reducer but it's not a widespread thing here (in part because American culture stamps it out pretty quick). The outrage was teed up by a thinktank study that I haven't read, but there is some accuracy to its potential efficacy. And, of course, not all meat is equal when it comes to emissions profiles.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44926 on: April 28, 2021, 12:31:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:29:58 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44927 on: April 28, 2021, 12:39:09 pm »

a fart in the wind
Don't do that. Greenhouse gasses...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44928 on: April 28, 2021, 12:40:33 pm »

Placing the onus of climate change on individuals is laughable. If the cause is not championed by government, who in turn force reform onto industries and businesses and try to encourage other countries to do the same, all the well-intentioned environmentalists of the world will just have to keep watching the world burn.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44929 on: April 28, 2021, 12:45:57 pm »

Yeah, as far as I know none of the folks working on it have put forth a method that's both reasonable and politically tenable. Usually it comes down to actual limitations (e.g. rationing), or just making various policies that raise the price to the point where only the rich can eat lots of meat. Obviously neither would be terribly popular.

(That said, it's not an issue I've looked into too much - so I'll defer to others who may have done more research.)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #44930 on: April 28, 2021, 12:53:02 pm »

what's wrong about grilled brussels sprouts
Nothing more wrong than any other form of brussel sprouts.

HTH, HAND.

hand-to-hand hand? Did you want me to hand you some brussels sprouts? Brussels sprouts? Brussel sprouts? Cabbage-fetus-things?

Demand-sided solutions would probably work about as well as telling everyone to put recyclables in the recycling bin, which to our track record, most of it ends up not-recycled mostly in ways outside of our individual control and does nothing to stop the proliferation of single-use plastics. Or like how water conservation concerns start at the home but do little to speak for the water use problems in agriculture where high-thirst plants are grown in places with inadequate rainfall.

Willful neglect in the individual is misguided. Willful neglect institutionalized is where a profit margin is found.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44931 on: April 28, 2021, 05:23:15 pm »

hand-to-hand hand?

I think that's supposed to be "Hope That Helps, Have A Nice Day". My brain just does not like translating "HTH" into "Hope That Helps", and would much rather read "Hater The Haters" or somesuch

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44932 on: April 28, 2021, 06:18:47 pm »

(As I already explained in a PM, I'm from an old-school time when the 'Net was purer and overwhelmingly[1] troll-free, and it generally meant just the good thing, and not even in a psych-out manner. Unless you wanted to believe it was shorthand for "Honour To Hastur, His Ascendence Nears Daily". ;) )

[1] Well, at least relatively...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #44933 on: April 28, 2021, 09:56:45 pm »

Presidential address happened, and the Republican rebuttal.

Regarding the latter, there was more god-noise and partisanship than I like to hear...but I gotta give him credit for his comments about racism. There are too many liberal extremists who are more interested in exploiting the situation for attention and profit rather than finding a solution; and when they do propose solutions, too often those solutions are more racially biased than the problem itself.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44934 on: April 28, 2021, 10:52:25 pm »

Didn't see this mentioned here:
The White House says that the intelligence community does not have conclusive evidence that Russian intelligence operatives encouraged the Taliban to attack American troops in Afghanistan.

The assessment, revealed Thursday as the U.S. announced a host of new sanctions on the Russian government, undermines one of the sharpest attacks Joe Biden and other Democrats leveled against former President Donald Trump during the 2020 White House race. Biden repeatedly attacked Trump on the campaign trail for not standing up to Russian President Vladimir Putin despite his administration being aware of intelligence suggesting Russian agents were offering bounties to the Taliban.

But on Thursday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said that after a review of those classified reports, the intelligence community determined it had only “low to moderate confidence” in their authenticity. She said that was due in part to the ways in which the intelligence was obtained, including from interrogations of Afghan detainees.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44935 on: April 28, 2021, 11:11:41 pm »

It’s not that interesting. If the intelligence during the election suggested the Taliban were attacking US forces for Russian bounties, then something should have been done about it. Trump said he wasn’t briefed on it and proceeded to apparently ignore it, preferring to tweet about Hunter Biden.

Not surprising given Trump preferred to take Putin’s word that Russia didn’t interfere in the 2016 election over that of the US intelligence community.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44936 on: April 28, 2021, 11:40:59 pm »

Still no one will tell me what a American Soldier fetches in rubles or whatever.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44937 on: April 29, 2021, 02:10:05 am »

So Rudy Giuliani has had his home and office searched and phones and computers siezed as part of an investigation as to whether he had corrupt dealings with Ukrainian officials.  The investigation was first stalled by Trump loyalists and then later by bureaucratic caution about electoral interference.  It will be interesting to see where this leads.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44938 on: April 29, 2021, 03:11:38 pm »

SCOTUS votes 6-3 against the government in a significant immigrant rights case.

Simple version: There's a provision for deporting even long-term resident immigrants if certain conditions are met. When this is invoked, the immigrant in question must be given written notice, containing a very specific set of information. Among other things, this is to allow the immigrant an opportunity to contest the case. The government position was that this requirement was met as long as all of the required bits of information got there, even if it were piecemeal. SCOTUS ruled that the statute requires "a notice", and the definite article means that all mandated information must be delivered in a single mailing.

This excerpt probably sums it up the best.

At one level, today’s dispute may seem semantic, focused on a single word, a small one at that. But words are how the law constrains power. In this case, the law’s terms ensure that, when the federal government seeks a procedural advantage against an individual, it will at least supply him with a single and reasonably comprehensive statement of the nature of the proceedings against him. If men must turn square corners when they deal with the government, it cannot be too much to expect the government to turn square corners when it deals with them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44939 on: April 29, 2021, 03:42:37 pm »

*information arrives ran through a shredder*
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2994 2995 [2996] 2997 2998 ... 3566