Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2863 2864 [2865] 2866 2867 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245658 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42960 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:25 pm »

Lindsey Graham just sold his soul to a different buyer.

Of the Senators who objected, almost all are newer than average. Cruz is the longest-serving one there at 2012; two are from this year, two from 2018, one from 2016. The house is like 120 though, which reflects how the house is more populist (and gerrymandered) overall.

Joint session meeting.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42961 on: January 06, 2021, 11:53:57 pm »

I see four fatalities reported. The shot woman (named and IDed as an ex-USAF Trump supporter, hailing from San Diego, who was definitely part of the invasion) and three further "medical incidents" without any further information so far revealed as to their roles or involvement.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42962 on: January 07, 2021, 01:57:34 am »

Edit: Motherfucker, you take your OPINION home! Your OPINIONs are not equal in the face of facts!

Facts don't care about your feelings, Luke!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42963 on: January 07, 2021, 06:15:49 am »

Weird day to wake up to news that terrorists are storming the seat of US government. Can you guys save your civil war until after coronavirus pls?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42964 on: January 07, 2021, 06:21:12 am »

But we are bored and we want it now!!!!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #42965 on: January 07, 2021, 08:19:06 am »

Weird day to wake up to news that terrorists are storming the seat of US government. Can you guys save your civil war until after coronavirus pls?
Too late, it’s already in early access
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42966 on: January 07, 2021, 08:25:31 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:21:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42967 on: January 07, 2021, 09:40:39 am »

Considering a good chunk of the DNC is dropping varying levels of support for BLM and similar organizations now that the election season is over, if this more concentrated storming of the capitol building that only damaged a few windows and stole some drives does something while the large city-wide instances of rioting (93% of the protests were peaceful, but there's still 7% violent) that damaged a lot of buildings did nothing...

When factoring in support scale, things are probably going to get very interesting soon.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:43:01 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42968 on: January 07, 2021, 10:23:10 am »

It'd be nice to see the percentage of recent Stop The Steal events that were peaceful. A minority wholly invested in invading and physically disrupting[2] seats of government, both local and national, should be compared wisely against fringes[1] of a more groundswell protest causing damage.

Normally, I'd expect the former to be taken more seriously than the latter (whether or not I'd agree with that). Shooting an elected official in the foot tends to be dealt with more severely than shooting your own, or a relative's, foot.

(So... Bets on POTUS #46 being Pence? As I said a while ago, in different context, I'm not sure he'd prefer to go for that, but maybe this forces matters, either by an impssibly-quick re-Impeachment[3] and ⅔rds confirmation or just via one or other of the measures in the 25th. Republicans can't remove Trump (as many now no doubt want to do, including Pence) without at least offering Pence first refusal.)

[1] A fair few times proven to be triggered by agents provocateur. One of the claims I saw regarding the Capitol was that a person seen there had been seen in photos in BLM violence, therefore BLM was false-flagging this latest event. Execept that has long since self-identified as on the Trump side and so, if anything, this actually cements his prior presence in BLM context as provocative/trouble-making.

[2] Let's call it vandalism and looting, at the very least. Not sure they got as far as arson, and we don't precisely know what weaponry (from firearms down to improvised missiles) were used/threatened to gain access.

[3] "We're breaking records bigly, folks! No other President has ever been impeached twice..."

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42969 on: January 07, 2021, 10:58:36 am »

Considering a good chunk of the DNC is dropping varying levels of support for BLM and similar organizations now that the election season is over, if this more concentrated storming of the capitol building that only damaged a few windows and stole some drives does something while the large city-wide instances of rioting (93% of the protests were peaceful, but there's still 7% violent) that damaged a lot of buildings did nothing...

When factoring in support scale, things are probably going to get very interesting soon.

I'm personally not going to defend any prior violence, but this was different, something akin to a very inept coup attempt - aiming to subvert a democratic vote via violence. That they didn't really have a plan on how to do that aside from breaking in, vandalizing some things, and milling about (though based on images it seemed some were intent on taking hostages / doing executions) doesn't detract from the literal assault on one of the three branches of government.

Alternatively, looking at it from a more cynical perspective, elected members of the government (mostly!) weren't really directly affected by the protests and riots in the summer while this riot forced them to evacuate and shelter. I can guess which one left more of an impression on many of them.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #42970 on: January 07, 2021, 11:47:32 am »

Trump is pretty much iced out of all social media for the time being.
Only matter of time before he uses the presidential alert system to shitpost
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42971 on: January 07, 2021, 11:53:47 am »

Trump revoked Pence's chief of staff's White House access because Pence wanted to depose Trump because he wanted an orderly transition to Biden.

This is tier-2 hearsay but I trust my friend. Discuss.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42972 on: January 07, 2021, 12:10:52 pm »

Alternatively, looking at it from a more cynical perspective, elected members of the government (mostly!) weren't really directly affected by the protests and riots in the summer while this riot forced them to evacuate and shelter. I can guess which one left more of an impression on many of them.

That's pretty much what I was going with mixed with a bit of thought as to how the more extreme elements that made up this and kicked the  7% violent BLM protests into being that might take it.  Sorta a "Oh it's just platitudes and 'we'll investigate' if we are destroying the stuff of people you are supposed to represent that will be dropped in a few months time, but you'll do something if we go after you?" thought coming to their minds.

Which will have some...interesting results to say the least.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42973 on: January 07, 2021, 12:16:52 pm »

That's pretty much what I was going with mixed with a bit of thought as to how the more extreme elements that made up this and kicked the  7% violent BLM protests into being that might take it.  Sorta a "Oh it's just platitudes and 'we'll investigate' if we are destroying the stuff of people you are supposed to represent that will be dropped in a few months time, but you'll do something if we go after you?" thought coming to their minds.

Which will have some...interesting results to say the least.

This will be at least partially true for non-politicians too, though - seeing congress smashed is different from seeing a corner store smashed.

(Also, general public polling wasn't terribly favorable to BLM to begin with for various reasons, so quite a few people are probably already in the 'I don't like either' camp.)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42974 on: January 07, 2021, 12:32:22 pm »

(Also, general public polling wasn't terribly favorable to BLM to begin with for various reasons, so quite a few people are probably already in the 'I don't like either' camp.)

Actually, if I recall right I saw a history that BLM was polling somewhere around +6-8 at the start of 2020 (slow but steady increase since around 2012?), up to about +10-11% before George Floyd, said death spiking it to around +18-20%, then those 7% riots started and it dropped back to +6-8% by sometime August/September.  Think it had still been trending lower, but I lost the bookmark in the move from my last computer.
Pages: 1 ... 2863 2864 [2865] 2866 2867 ... 3569