Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2703 2704 [2705] 2706 2707 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226969 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40560 on: October 20, 2020, 09:53:46 pm »

I mean, that's fair.

Kinda' surreal beyond that, but they got other sports teams so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40561 on: October 20, 2020, 09:55:42 pm »

I still think the US military needs to be completely disbanded, but if I say this even on reddit or anywhere else I get hated on. But the US military is the biggest supply of domestic weapons that lead to attacks on the public, and its soon to be 2021, we don't need a military. The military is also huge on pro-republican propaganda, and the biggest source of nationalism in the US.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40562 on: October 20, 2020, 10:10:19 pm »

Not only is there, but AOC wants the US Army channel removed pretty badly. Since, you know, propagandizing teenagers for war.
Have you heard of "America's Army"? :P
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40563 on: October 20, 2020, 10:15:19 pm »

Also worth mentioning that the US Army twitch and discord became famous quite quickly for absurdly aggressive insta-banning of anyone who mentions anything critical of the USA or its military.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40564 on: October 20, 2020, 10:44:25 pm »

Yeah, it used to be a great jobs program for the glut of farm boys with no other prospects, but that part has kinda fallen by the wayside.
Seriously, my grandfather and seven of his brothers all wound up with civilian careers for the rest of their lives pretty much based on the job they were given in the military. Because the military used to have tens of thousands of cooks, stenographers, drivers, mechanics, supply clerks, etc. The tooth-to-tail ratio was pretty impressively high, and it meant that most guys coming out of the service weren't trigger-happy killboys. That all started changing in 1971 when the armed forces went all-volunteer and rapidly escalated after 1985.

Personally, I'm a believer in reinstating the draft, downsizing the overall force, and getting rid of most support service contracts. Only retain contracting for weapons/equipment development and manufacture. No more Sodexo chow halls or CDW maintenance corps. And then you wind up with hundreds of thousands of young men and women who can afford to get out after 8-12 years because they have a skilled trade and no debt.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40565 on: October 20, 2020, 10:57:58 pm »

That would be a fun suggestion if I didn't just know that with my luck it would end up terribly hurting me personally.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40566 on: October 20, 2020, 11:02:46 pm »

Personally I am more in favor of the public works programs of the 40s.  We got nice infrastructure *AND* rebuilt the economy, at the same time.  People did not have to deal with our armed forces and their bullshit power-mongering and psych-conditioning BS.

These days though, our government has a big hard-on for just ejaculating money all over private businesses, who just pocket the money and don't really provide deliverables, either for employment (since they use the money for stock buybacks and other chicanery), or for improved infrastructure (since rebuying stock does not really produce anything concrete.)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40567 on: October 20, 2020, 11:11:14 pm »

e: fucking hell it's not just a twitch channel they actually have a sixteen member official esports team
something something "get the army out of the nation-building esports business"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40568 on: October 20, 2020, 11:40:29 pm »

Really, the best joke is I only noticed because someone highlighted that AOC's among us stream was netting something like eight thousand times the viewership as the army's league of legends play :P

I think it's less get them out (though that, too), and more if they're going to be in it they should at least get good at it, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40569 on: October 20, 2020, 11:44:29 pm »

"The game's mechanics aren't realistic at all!!  I'm an expert marksman in seal team six, and I can tell you straight up that the game's sniper mechanics are horseshit!"

"get gud bruh."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40570 on: October 21, 2020, 12:03:33 am »

That's what happens when the whole team goes ADC and contracts the Support to fucking Halliburton.

Couple of bedtime tidbits:

*Noted hurricane deflector Pat Robertson says God has told him Trump will definitely win the election, and then the Earth will be hit by an asteroid which will "maybe" bring about the end of the world. I like how even the Almighty is hedging His bets there.

"Felt cute, gonna hit the Earth with an asteroid, might end the world later idk"

*37 million Americans have now voted early. Texas is up to 4.7 million, over 50% of their entire 2016 turnout. I'm beginning to wonder if Abbott's stunt with restricting ballot drop-off boxes backfired by pissing people off. Texas doesn't release partisan data of early voters, so it's tough to tell who the partisan breakout of those 4.7 million favors.

*Looking ahead to the 2022 Senate races, the Republicans will once again face an uphill climb, as they will have to defend 23 seats (and the McSally or Loeffler/Collins seats, if those folks win) while Democrats will have to defend only 10 (plus Kelly/Warnock if they win). If the Dems make a solid inroad in this cycle, say 52-48 or 53-47, then a good 2022 could potentially get them close to a supermajority. Bear in mind though that midterms typically go in favor of the opposition party.

Which brings up a fascinating possibility not many folks are talking about -- Trump somehow wins, but Democrats take control of the Senate. Enter Impeachment 2: Electoral Boogaloo.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40571 on: October 21, 2020, 12:07:57 am »

There actually is a 0.41% chance that an asteroid will enter the earth's atmosphere the day before election day, but it would be too small to do any harm.

Source: https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/solar-system/amp33753168/election-day-asteroid-truth/

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40572 on: October 21, 2020, 12:09:01 am »

Maybe it's a random antimatter asteroid.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40573 on: October 21, 2020, 12:47:39 am »

I can't remember if it was this thread (or even this forum, though probably was) but last time the subject of asteroids came up I checked some details and found (as it is still) that a vast majority listed as passing close (within Lunar distance, or estimated as likely to be doing/have done so when not (yet) confirmed) were not discovered until after they passed by. That includes the very largest and the very closest ones.

And still the only one with more than a week's advanced notice is probably not even natural. Which easily allows for there still to be an October Surprise from the Space Party.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40574 on: October 21, 2020, 12:50:31 am »

Also worth mentioning that the US Army twitch and discord became famous quite quickly for absurdly aggressive insta-banning of anyone who mentions anything critical of the USA or its military.
At least I can tell the Army to "stick to sports".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 2703 2704 [2705] 2706 2707 ... 3566