Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2702 2703 [2704] 2705 2706 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227063 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40545 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:32 pm »

How long until I see a Trump tweet asserting that this is some radical conspiracy by the left to silence him?  Place your bets ladies and gentlemen--
Negative however-many hours, because he already said that last week as an excuse to dodge further debates.  Since he's riding covid on a boat of fantastically expensive stem cell-based treatments, steroids, and who-knows-what stimulants.

Of course that was before Biden agreed to a solo town hall, which Trump had to try to one-up.  I haven't seen Biden's yet and I don't particularly care (I was satisfied by Harris's debate performance), but Trump's town hall was *chef's kiss*.

Edit: For those who don't have a link
(NSFW commentary sorry)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:26:12 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40546 on: October 19, 2020, 09:36:48 pm »

You don't have to worry about [filibuster nuking].

I can't really bring citations to this for various reasons, but there actually is a pretty good likelihood of it (at least, that's the current direction the congressional wing of the party is going).

In short: if Dems get a trifecta, they'll be under a huge amount of pressure for post-Trump change/reforms, and the only way they'll be able to do that is if they nuke the filibuster and go ham. With moderate Dems they'll still need to be somewhat careful to reach majority votes, but for the bigger democracy issues that'll be less of a barrier than, say, major climate legislation.

In turn, the activity will likely face ire from the expected court composition, which will in turn create a crisis similar to the 1930s where the court will have to choose either to adapt or face the wrath of the other two branches combined. (At least, if they haven't already changed the S.Ct. by this point.)

Now, if Biden wins but Republicans keep the Senate, then things may well stay in MSH's aforementioned stasis.

For what it's worth, I used to be pro-filibuster and am now thoroughly ambivalent, in part for the reasons MSH describes. I used to fear the volatility that a lack of filibuster could lead to, but if Trump marks the future of the executive branch (in terms of the latest stretching of executive power, at a minimum) then that volatility is here regardless.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40547 on: October 20, 2020, 04:55:37 am »

Because repeating myself is rude, and quoting myself is less so... ;)

Texas is a large state, so it doubtless could be split.

Alaska has the claim of being the largest state, though, usurping Texas's prior boast and relegating them to second place. I suppose Texans could always petition to split Alaska into two halves - making Texas now the third largest state.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40548 on: October 20, 2020, 09:11:36 am »

Alaska has the claim of being the largest state, though, usurping Texas's prior boast and relegating them to second place. I suppose Texans could always petition to split Alaska into two halves - making Texas now the third largest state.

So that means Texas could then claim being the state with the most of itself, finally breaking that long standing three way tie between North Carolina-South Carolina, Virginia-West Virginia, and North Dakota-South Dakota.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40549 on: October 20, 2020, 10:49:43 am »

So that means Texas could then claim being the state with the most of itself, finally breaking that long standing three way tie between North Carolina-South Carolina, Virginia-West Virginia, and North Dakota-South Dakota.
Personally, I feel like the Carolinas are more like the relationship between New York and New Jersey. We just push our worst shit over the border.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #40550 on: October 20, 2020, 12:04:27 pm »

Don’t forget Kansas-Arkansas.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40551 on: October 20, 2020, 12:24:30 pm »

Is that even a thing? I think of Kansas-Nebraska as being the dyad, locked in an eternal struggle as to who can be the flattest, most boring and have the most grains.

So, Nate Silver tweeted out a bit recently about RCP, and tackling some of the same complaints I had. His diagnosis is largely the same as mine: weird time windows for what gets included and no weighting for accuracy or house bias. It feels good to be validated (even if indirectly) by The Warlock.

Also saw a subsidiary thread from someone else that looked at the Dem lead vs. remaining undecided+3rd party in battleground states, which is a great idea. Going to do that analysis myself once I have some time.
Early glance shows that it's hugely different from 2016. At this stage there were still, on average, 15% undecided and third party votes up for grab in 2016. This time around it's averaging 5%.
Trump only needed to get about 30-50% of those undecideds to win in the swing states in 2016. He got around 60-65% in MI, WI and PA.
On average, he needs over 100% of the undecideds at this point.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #40552 on: October 20, 2020, 12:58:09 pm »

Re: state-pairs: Very much a joke, though confusingly the Arkansas wiki page claims ”Kansas” shares etymologic roots with the former while the Kansas page claims it instead comes from the Kaw(Kanza) people.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40553 on: October 20, 2020, 01:07:33 pm »

I live in said patch of boring flat and culture-less dirt.

The name does in fact come from the Kanza indian people.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40554 on: October 20, 2020, 01:40:31 pm »

You have my sympathies, Flatlander. I was born in the slightly bumpy part of Flatlandia known as Iowa. Or occasionally as East Nebraska.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40555 on: October 20, 2020, 01:53:33 pm »

Re: state-pairs: Very much a joke, though confusingly the Arkansas wiki page claims ”Kansas” shares etymologic roots with the former while the Kansas page claims it instead comes from the Kaw(Kanza) people.

One does not disclude the other?
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40556 on: October 20, 2020, 02:16:26 pm »

You have my sympathies, Flatlander. I was born in the slightly bumpy part of Flatlandia known as Iowa. Or occasionally as East Nebraska.

Familiarity breeds contempt, as the saying goes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40557 on: October 20, 2020, 02:19:02 pm »

Well, since we are discussing flatland--

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/party-switcher-kansas-senate-democrats-430272

Barbra Bollier is the quintessential "Moderate republican" who decided "Those people are whackadoo", and switched parties.  She is hoping to court other such moderate conservatives away from the GOP party line.

Politics wise, she seems more democrat than GOP though. 

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40558 on: October 20, 2020, 09:49:20 pm »

Just found out AOC (and Ilhan, and maybe others) are streaming or just streamed or something Among Us for a while. Apparently got up or over 3-400k viewers? May still be climbing? I don't even know anymore. I've now seen among us streaming described as the fireside chat of the pogchamp era.

... also apparently there's a US army esports twitch channel?

e: fucking hell it's not just a twitch channel they actually have a sixteen member official esports team
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:51:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40559 on: October 20, 2020, 09:51:29 pm »

Not only is there, but AOC wants the US Army channel removed pretty badly. Since, you know, propagandizing teenagers for war.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2702 2703 [2704] 2705 2706 ... 3566