Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2695 2696 [2697] 2698 2699 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228030 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40440 on: October 14, 2020, 06:10:38 pm »

I like the detailed summary. Thanks RedKing.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40441 on: October 14, 2020, 06:20:01 pm »

That was really clear and detailed. I also enjoyed the editorialising.

Thanks RedKing. I'm going to go pretend I understand US politics now.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40442 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:38 pm »

[3]In a sign of just how few fucks Democrats give about winning Wyoming, they nominated an Israeli-American Jewish ecologist woman to run in a state heavily dominated by ranching and mining. Honestly, I think they may be trying to see if they can get down to single-digit voting results.

An election you can't win is an excellent way to build up your bench, giving some seasoning to a candidate that might be viable for something important several years down the line.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40443 on: October 14, 2020, 06:38:11 pm »

[3]In a sign of just how few fucks Democrats give about winning Wyoming, they nominated an Israeli-American Jewish ecologist woman to run in a state heavily dominated by ranching and mining. Honestly, I think they may be trying to see if they can get down to single-digit voting results.

An election you can't win is an excellent way to build up your bench, giving some seasoning to a candidate that might be viable for something important several years down the line.
On the contrary, the conventional wisdom is that a candidate who loses a race is essentially marked forever as a Loser, and Americans Hate Losers. It seems more likely that they're just throwing her to the wolves as an expendable.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40444 on: October 14, 2020, 06:58:31 pm »

Oh wow look at this trailer I found in a parking lot and I just happen to have my camera on how fortunate wow look at all this paper trash in this trailer parked behind a paper processing plant this is impossible how could this paper be here I'm just looking at it on camera now oh hey look at this I'm picking it up now oh and I'm flipping it over hmm what could it be OOOOO ITS MAIL IN BALLOTS AND THEY ARE ALL PEOPLE VOTING FOR TRUMP OOOOO like and subscribe.

I'm not linking the video, Google the Pennsylvania ballot trailer or something you'll find the news story. Most of the comments call for literally murdering all of the democrats.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40445 on: October 14, 2020, 08:28:02 pm »

In this particular instance, I think this is the most likely source:

Those are mail in ballot APPLICATIONS.  They are there to help you file for a mail in ballot.  Since they were never sent out---

Bureaucrat #1 decides that "Because Corona virus is a thing, and we want Donny to win, we need to get mail-in-voting going for Donnie-- Let's ramp up a fancy looking mail in ballot form, and send them out."

(Proceeds down that path, and even has several thousand units printed up and ready to ship)

Bureaucrat #2 (who works more closely with Donnie and the GOP), asserts-- WAIT-- We are making mail-in-ballots into a political bruhaha totally on purpose! We DONT WANT people doing mail in ballots, because we know Donnie is gonna lose HORRIBLY from all the people actually concerned about the corona virus- We have made it a political posturing point that the virus is not a big deal, that you should go to the polling stations, and vote in person to show your metal as an american, and to remove any doubt about your vote. (We will also have various white nationalist groups parked out front to keep those riffraff out, so there's that too.)  Don't you DARE send out those vote by mail registration cards!!

Bureaucrat #1 promptly orders all those ballot registration fliers get shredded.

Somebody finds the evidence.

"BLAME THE DEMOCRATS!" asserts Bureaucrat #3.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40446 on: October 14, 2020, 09:01:26 pm »

I was reading an article, I think it might have been a WaPo thing, but not sure.

They were claiming it wasn't actually ballots, but just generic Pro-Trump mailers. And on top of that, the video they were describing was actually taken outside of a printing facility and the mailers were simply printing waste that were never meant to be mailed anyway.

I didn't go into any in depth research, but the little bit I did see didn't look anything like a ballot. It's POSSIBLE they were applications, but it's very suspect that they'd allow anything resembling an official voting document to go out with Trump's face on it. (And yes, the paper had Trump's photograph on it.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40447 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:43 pm »

Alaska
You know, that's not a bad strategy, funding independents in red states. Pity the Democrats are too egotistical to actually adopt such a strategy, much as they are too egotistical to tone down the toxicity that helps make those states hate them so much.
Arizona (special election)
"It's the closest thing to Hell that exists, but it's our Hell!"
Colorado
I've always been kind of impressed by how well Colorado contains their conservatives - you can tell by how the right-wing districts in Colorado are really crazy.
Iowa
I don't know that there's any way to distance one's self from Trump at this point. I guess you could potentially trick the arbitrary portion of the electorate, assuming you're also willing to spend the next four years hiding from the Trump Patrols should he win.
Kansas
Never would have guessed that Brownback's governorship was going to kick off Bleeding Kansas II, but here we are. I think you could really get a permanent blueshift in Kansas in this moment in history if you played your cards right. So the DNC will fuck it up, I'm sure.
Maine
Don't forget the Ranked-Choice Voting! Oh boy, oh boy are the 3rd party voters excited, probably, I don't know. I seem to recall the ranked choice ballot being some insane "draw a line between the candidates you want" thing at one point, but it looks like a normal and sane ballot now so I guess that was taken care of.

inb4 every ranked choice election in Maine is invalidated by the Barret Court because the Constitution doesn't say you can do it, and so the RNC gets to appoint all seats and ECs.
Michigan
It's no Florida, but it's getting there.
Minnesota
Fucking wow, there have been a few incel politicians but this Lewis guy is probably the most successful one I've seen in the US (our friends in the hell of Ukland are not so lucky).
Montana
Again, a state that could be stolen from the GOP if the Dems gave enough of a shit to try, though not as easily as Kansas or even Georgia could be.
nOrTh CaRoLiNa
no, re҉al̵l͘y,͘ I̸'̨m͡ ̵f͡in҉e

͠p͜er̕fe͡c͢ţl͜y

fi̶ne͘

Rating: I bet Erica Smith's nudes wouldn't have gotten sent to Tillis' office.
South Carolina
Fuckin' G.
Texas
The dream of the Blue Rose lives on.

Georgia (normal election)
The Solid South ain't quite so solid these days, but Georgia flipping would probably indicate the end, if only because the Dems might actually try to stop the suppression of black voters.
Georgia (special election)
Obama can end the Democratic primaries in a weekend but he can't get a bunch of two-bit state reps and dog catchers in line? He's been doing ads for Warnock, so he clearly cares. It seems like the Dems still worship Obama all the more for nostalgia. God, you don't even have to threaten them! Offer them DC sinctures! Or at least fucking RICO their campaigns if they won't take the deal! Ugh.
Which means that depending on how things shake out elsewhere, control of the US Senate may not be decided until two months after Election Day, and a mere 15 days before Inauguration Day.
I'd be angry about this too, but everything will probably be done and salted by January anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40448 on: October 14, 2020, 10:20:15 pm »

Indeed, democraps would stop losing elections if they just won elections for once.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40449 on: October 14, 2020, 10:24:15 pm »

I'm not sure how many people are going to trust the results regardless. Because at this point, trust in government agencies is pretty much nil.
The Census isn't a thing you "have trust in", rather it simply directly impacts apportionment of representatives and federal funding. It also guides local decisions on things like "how many people live here, would a bus stop be a good idea or no?" and things of that nature but it's decidely secondary to the whole "aha so noooooow you guys have less say in congress so go rot in a ditch for the next decade alright? Cool? Good talk."

In regards to the Senate forecasts though, that's much appreciated, since if there's anything these rather depressing ACB hearings are telling me (to quote the George Lopez show: "George, this is sad crazy, I was hoping for funny crazy"), it's that the senate is the most important obstruction in US politics. And that the only joy I could possibly gain after becoming unemployed is having Lindsey Graham join me. (I'd settle for Mitch McConnell being kicked off his perch.)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #40450 on: October 14, 2020, 11:15:27 pm »

+1 on the RedKing appreciation, thanks for the effort.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40451 on: October 14, 2020, 11:21:14 pm »

+1 on the RedKing appreciation, thanks for the effort.

Agreed - just read through this at work. Well put together.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40452 on: October 14, 2020, 11:34:59 pm »

RE: Kansas

the Youtube Ads vor Bollier and Marshall have been brutal.

Bollier is trying to court republicans by showing fat, clearly unhealthy, and generally unpleasant republican farmers/State senators saying they support her.
(Example 1)
(Example 2)

Earlier in the cycle, she was focusing more on "Corona virus is real, and I openly acknowledge this, as opposed to some other politicians" as her message. (I vastly liked this more than the pandering.)
(Example)

Marshall on the other hand, has been hard at work with PAC style attack ads trying to liken Bollier with Pelosi, (and acting like Pelosi is the fucking devil).  They old tried-and-true canard about "THEY WANT TO TAKE YOUR GUNS!!!" has also been trotted out, as well as "Very low information content" FUD farming about healthcare issues trying to make it seem like Bollier is a gambler in terms of public health, and of course "ABORTION! HORRIBLE!!"

Considering that the best that Marshall has is "OH NOES!! She's a PROGRESSIVE!!", He can go fuck an electrical outlet with his tiny micropenis. That's all the more charge to his campaign I am willing to offer.  Politicians that push out 100% attack ads are scum. End of discussion.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40453 on: October 15, 2020, 03:58:02 am »

GOP:

If mail in voting actually has a good track record because it is being handled properly, then we need to engineer a situation to demonstrate how it is NOT reliable, by purposefully not doing things right, even when we get caught doing it.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/carolineodonovan/california-republican-unauthorized-ballot-boxes

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40454 on: October 15, 2020, 06:26:06 am »

WTH are "smog testing shops" (at which some officially unofficial 'official' drop-off boxes were installed)?

I mean, I understand "smog testing", but the closest thing to a 'shop' for that I know of is basically a (half-length) shipping container set down on some grass near a busy road/junction with wether-vane/anemometer poking out the top and probably a few tubes to suck in air for NOx/PM10 sampling. (Probably doesn't need a whole half-length shippping container to hold the equipment to do this, it's just a handy "permanent" temporary structure that can be easily delivered in-situ but not so easily hauled away/broken into by ne'er-do-wells.)

The 'shop' element makes me think of people bringing their own bottles of air to be tested. Mind you, if it's Cali then it wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've heard of...
Pages: 1 ... 2695 2696 [2697] 2698 2699 ... 3567