Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2694 2695 [2696] 2697 2698 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227844 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40425 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:35 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40426 on: October 14, 2020, 02:46:32 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40427 on: October 14, 2020, 04:04:23 am »

Bullshit parallel with Morgan's Network soft.

I mean, if you are gonna spout hyperbole like that. :)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40429 on: October 14, 2020, 10:29:24 am »

The Supreme Court sided with the Administration and overruled a lower court's order that the Census continue while court proceedings play out; this effectively renders future procedures moot as the Census will start laying off staff. The Census will now end on the 15th.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40430 on: October 14, 2020, 12:21:39 pm »

The Supreme Court sided with the Administration and overruled a lower court's order that the Census continue while court proceedings play out; this effectively renders future procedures moot as the Census will start laying off staff. The Census will now end on the 15th.
Likely not that big a deal. Per the Census Bureau, they're at 99.9% response rate in almost every state, the exceptions being Louisiana (98.3%) and Mississippi (99.4%). I would think these are impacted by trying to find households that aren't even there anymore, thanks to any of the six major storms that have hit the Gulf Coast this year. Also poverty (which ironically-not-ironically, is exacerbated by not having a full census count).

Ok, so let's talk about the Senate. As we've seen over the last 12 years, the Senate can be both roadblock and firewall, obstructing a President if hostile and shielding a President if friendly. It is not an overstatement to say that Republicans' slim majority in the Senate since 2014 is literally the only reason Donald J. Trump is still in office. The current breakdown of the Senate is 53-47 (technically, 53-45-2, with Bernie Sanders [I-VT] and Angus King [I-ME] caucusing with the Democrats). In case of a tie, the President of the Senate (a role filled by the sitting Vice-President) casts a tiebreaker vote. Therefore, the Democrats need 50 to control the Senate if Biden wins, 51 if he does not. Additionally, while Democrats can occasionally hope for a Mitt Romney or a Susan Collins to break with their party (ha ha fat chance), they also have to worry about "yellow dog" Dems like Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Doug Jones (D-AL) siding with Republicans.

There are 35 Senate seats up for election this cycle, the usual 33 plus two special elections in Georgia and Arizona, to fill the seats left vacant by the retirement of Johnny Isaakson and the death of John McCain, respectively. While those seats have been filled by provisional appointment, those appointments are only valid until the next election. A bit unusual -- Georgia has both of its Senate seats up for election this cycle due to the special election, and it's going to be a doozy. More on that below.

Of the 35 up for grabs, 23 are currently Republican and 12 Democrat. Three Republican incumbents are retiring, as is one Democrat incumbent. Typically, a retiring incumbent presents a good opportunity to flip a seat, but the retiring Republicans are in Wyoming, Tennessee and Kansas -- states where you could pretty much prop up a random dead body and put a Republican sticker on it, and it would win the election. Which means the starting point for our math is the seats NOT up for election, which is 30 R-35 D.

Because of the vagaries of which seats are up for re-election (reminder for those playing at home -- Senate seats are six-year terms, with 1/3 of the Senate up for re-election every two years), there are certain years which are favorable for each party. 2018 was a rough cycle for Democrats, as they were defending 26 of the 35 seats up for bids. This cycle, concurrent with what looks to be a pretty good surge of Democrat votes at the national level, could be payback in a big way.

So let's look at the "safe" seats. Senate races are often more competitive than Presidential elections at the state level, where even diehard blue states like Massachusetts will elect Republican Senators from time to time, and Southern states still elect conservative Democrats on occasion. That said, New England tends to be very safe for the Democrats and the Mountain West (with the exception of Colorado) very safe for Republicans. I'm going to up the threshold compared to the Presidential analysis, anything at or above a 10-point differential is "safe" for the purposes of this discussion. (Part of the reason is that a lot of the interesting bits are in that 7-10 point spread right now.)

Safe seats for the Democrats (with current polling average, if any):
Delaware (Chris Coons) -- D+30
Illiinois (Dick Durbin) -- n/a
Massachusetts (Ed Markey) -- n/a
New Hampshire (Jeanne Shaheen) -- D+15.2
New Jersey (Corey Booker) -- D+24
New Mexico (Ben Ray Lujan, replacing the retiring Tom Udall) -- D+10
Oregon (Jeff Merkley) -- n/a
Rhode Island (Jack Reed) -- n/a
Virginia (Mark Warner) -- D17

Safe seats for the Republicans (with current polling average, if any):
Alabama (Tommy Tuberville)[1] -- R+12, FLIP
Arkansas (Tom Cotton) - n/a
Idaho (Jim Risch) -- n/a
Kentucky (Mitch McConnell)[2] -- R+12
Louisiana (Bill Cassidy) -- n/a
Mississippi (Cindy Hyde-Smith) -- R+10
Nebraska (Ben Sasse) -- n/a
Oklahoma (Jim Inhofe) -- R+24
South Dakota (Mike Rounds) -- n/a
Tennessee (Bill Hagerty, replacing the retiring Lamar Alexander) -- n/a
West Virginia (Shelley Moore Capito) -- n/a
Wyoming (Cynthia Lummis, replacing the retiring Mike Enzi)[3] -- n/a

[1] Just to remind everyone, incumbent Democrat Doug Jones *barely* beat out a religious nutcase with an alleged history of sexual advances towards underage women. This time around, he's facing the former coach of Auburn University's football team in a state where college football is nearly a religion itself. Honestly, Jones was fucked the moment Roy Moore lost the GOP primary.

[2]As much as Democrats were hoping that the whole SCOTUS nomination thing would somehow be able to translate national seething rage at Mitch McConnell into an upset victory (Amy McGrath's campaign did get a shitload of money right after RBG's death), the polls show this one slipping well out of reach.

[3]In a sign of just how few fucks Democrats give about winning Wyoming, they nominated an Israeli-American Jewish ecologist woman to run in a state heavily dominated by ranching and mining. Honestly, I think they may be trying to see if they can get down to single-digit voting results.

Adding the safe states to the tally, we're at 44 D, 42 R and a net gain of 1 for Republicans. The Republicans had twice as much territory to defend, but a lot of it is in deep red states.
Which leaves 15 states remaining, which I'll tackle individually in the next post.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:54:47 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40431 on: October 14, 2020, 12:43:39 pm »

How is Sanders independant if he's ran as a democrat president twice?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40432 on: October 14, 2020, 12:53:13 pm »

Because he runs as a senator as an independent, not as a democrat, presumably

edit: also he hasn't acutally run as democrat a single time. He ran for running as democrat twice, but they dischose him both times ;)
Love, scriver~

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40433 on: October 14, 2020, 12:57:21 pm »

How is Sanders independant if he's ran as a democrat president twice?

It's complicated, but essentially goes back to his years as Mayor of Burlington, Vermont, where he ran against the Democratic Mayor candidate and won.

He continued winning in several other races against both Democrats and Republicans until Democrats just finally said "This guy is with us almost all the time anyway." And decided to stop supporting candidates against him. Several years pass, he's Senator of Vermont. Still independent. Still "allied" with the Democratic party (to the point where Democrats endorse and campaign with him.) But the local Vermont knowledge and history that let's him sit in that weird position of "Democrat in all but name" doesn't fly for a presidential run, so he temporarily becomes a Democrat to run for president the last two times. And switches back when that doesn't pan out.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40434 on: October 14, 2020, 01:00:22 pm »

Likely not that big a deal. Per the Census Bureau, they're at 99.9% response rate in almost every state, the exceptions being Louisiana (98.3%) and Mississippi (99.4%). I would think these are impacted by trying to find households that aren't even there anymore, thanks to any of the six major storms that have hit the Gulf Coast this year. Also poverty (which ironically-not-ironically, is exacerbated by not having a full census count).
Big deal for me cause I work there!

And it matters because a lot of our work now is (desperately needed) quality assurance, wherein we verify enumerators have actually done their damn job, as the main method of quality assurance is through reinterviews. But i mean that doesnt matter that much right? Who needs an accurate census anyway.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40435 on: October 14, 2020, 01:34:55 pm »

Big deal for me cause I work there!

And it matters because a lot of our work now is (desperately needed) quality assurance, wherein we verify enumerators have actually done their damn job, as the main method of quality assurance is through reinterviews. But i mean that doesnt matter that much right? Who needs an accurate census anyway.
I'm not sure how many people are going to trust the results regardless. Because at this point, trust in government agencies is pretty much nil.

Y'all....I just did the write-up on the Georgia Senate special election, and I need a damn drink now. I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I did researching and writing it because Holy. Shitballs.
(I'm waiting till I have all the states done to post them.)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40436 on: October 14, 2020, 01:48:57 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPltMpWIwo

In which Nancy Pelosi calls Wolf Blitzer a GOP apologist. Interesting times. :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40437 on: October 14, 2020, 02:16:39 pm »

Who needs an accurate census anyway.
110% of the population.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40438 on: October 14, 2020, 03:48:27 pm »

Ok, this will be a two-part post because it's LONG.
Here are the remaining 15 states in alphabetical order (sans Georgia, which gets its own post for reasons):

Alaska -- Incumbent Dan Sullivan is running against Al Gross, an orthopedic surgeon, commercial fisherman and son of a former state Attorney General. (Don't ask me how he combines orthopedic surgery with commercial fishing.) As with the Presidential race, Alaska is shockingly competitive this year. While it's true that Alaska's other Senator, Lisa Murkowski, is something of an occasional rank-breaker with the national GOP, Sullivan very much is not. So if the national election is a referendum on Trump, it stands to reason that the coattail effect may be dragging Sullivan down. Sullivan has also recently come under fire for receiving donations from lobbyists connected with the proposed Pebble Mine project, which is unpopular with a majority of Alaskans.

Gross is also running as an independent, with the support of the Democratic Party, similar to Sanders and King. That fact may be boosting his chances with independent-minded Alaskans and dampen any charges that he'd be a "lapdog" for Chuck Schumer and Joe Biden.

Currently the polling average is R+3, but that does not include polls in just the last couple of days that show the race narrowing to R+1. There has also been an influx of outside money on both sides as Dems smell blood in the water, and Republicans frantically try to save their hold on the Senate.

Rating: Toss-up

Arizona (special election) -- in 2018, Republican Martha McSally lost to Democrat Kyrsten Sinema in the race to fill the seat of retiring Sen. Jeff Flake. Just a few months later, John McCain died and McSally was nominated by Arizona's governor to fill his seat. She is running against former astronaut Mark Kelly, who also happens to be the husband of former Rep. Gabby Giffords, who was shot and badly wounded in 2011 in a mass shooting incident in Tuscon. (Sidenote: I was still working with the BATF at that time and was involved in the Federal response to the incident. That's one of several days burned into my memory.) Giffords was/is popular in urban Arizona, and Mark Kelly has a fair bit of his own popularity and goodwill as an astronaut and former Navy fighter pilot (which cancels out one of McSally's big campaign planks, her own fighter pilot experience). I'll resist the urge to make any dogfighting references, because polls show Kelly up by 8 points at this stage, meaning McSally is augering in pretty hard. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Rating: Likely Democrat, FLIP

Colorado -- Incumbent Cory Gardner is a moderate Republican in a Colorado that is undergoing a serious Doppler shift towards blue, and won his first term in 2014 by running as "no labels" bipartisan moderate. However, on the big items (The Wall, impeachment, SCOTUS nomination, etc.) he's been pretty much in lockstep with Trump, and that's taken the luster out of his claims to be a maverick.

On the Democratic side, former Governor John Hickenlooper (who presided over Colorado's legalization of recreational marijuana) is running to replace him. Hickenlooper is also relatively moderate, though he has taken actions that place him squarely in the Democratic field such as legalizing marijuana, introducing universal background checks for firearms, and expanding Medicaid. Like Arizona, the Trump negative coattail effect in a blue state like Colorado is killing Gardner. Despite a stretch in the summer where Hickenlooper stumbled, current poll averages have Hickenlooper up by 9.

Rating: Likely Democrat, FLIP

Iowa – Incumbent Joni Ernst is in a fight for her career, in a swing state where COVID-19 is currently “out of control” by most accounts. Hospitalizations and new case rates are at their highest levels since the beginning of the pandemic, and deaths at the highest rate since May. Ernst is trying to distance herself from Trump a bit, but in doing so risks alienating the Trump base that helped elect her. Polls currently have her challenger, Democrat Theresa Greenfield, leading by 4.8 percent. Yet again, we see the Trump negative coattail effect at work here.

Rating: Lean Democrat, FLIP

Kansas – Retiring longtime Republican Senator Pat Roberts’ seat is being contested between Republican Rep. Roger Marshall and Democratic State Senator Barbara Bollier. Marshall won a bruising primary fight against Trump’s pick, Kris Kobach. You may know Kobach as the vote-disenfranchising Kansas Sec. of State and as the head of Trump’s voter fraud commission that failed to find any voter fraud in the 2016 election. Kobach had also run and lost for Governor of Kansas in 2018, leading to Marshall’s charges in the primary that he was “a failed candidate who can’t win”, while Kobach shot back that Marshall was a moderate do-nothing, and businessman Bob Hamilton (the 3rd place runner-up) alleged that Marshall had used the state party apparatus to pressure two other challengers (who were also part of the Kansas state legislature) to drop out to improve his odds. Adding to the fire was that Kobach won almost exclusively in the eastern, urban counties in Kansas leading to suspicions that Democrats and left-leaning Independents had crossed party lines to vote in the primary, hoping to get Kobach as the nominee because he was seen as much more extreme and easier to beat. Amidst all the GOP infighting, Barbara Bollier has snuck within 2-3 points of Marshall, with a couple of recent polls actually showing her ahead.

Maine – Once a favorite of Democrats, Susan Collins’ penchant for opposing her party on important items has dwindled during the Trump era (in the Bush years, Collins and her colleague Olympia Snowe were much more ardent about their opposition to the White House). Her vote to confirm Justice Brett Kavanaugh was seen by many as the last straw, and indeed a few candidates formally announced they were running to contest her seat the morning after that vote. More entered the race after Collins voted to acquit Trump after his impeachment. Democrat Sara Gideon, State Speaker of the House won the primary and has enjoyed significant outside funding and a lead in the polls since May 2020. Gideon is currently polling around 3.7% ahead, as the race has narrowed in the last two weeks, with a still sizable 10-11% undecided.

Michigan – Incumbent Democratic Sen. Gary Peters is in a relatively tight race against businessman and Iraq War vet John James. James, an African-American Republican, also ran unsuccessfully against Debbie Stabenow in 2018. A second loss here likely ends his political career, at least at the national level. James was hurt in 2018 by leaked audio of him criticizing Trump, while declining to do so publicly. He has also declined to take a stand on a range of issues, from the SCOTUS nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to whether military bases named for Confederate generals should be rename. Peters is currently up by 5, though that is brought down largely by a recent poll this week fro the New York Times that showed Peters with just a one-point lead and nearly 15% of voters undecided or third-party. While it may not wind up having an effect on the result, it should be noted that Michigan tends to field a number of write-in candidates from third parties, including the Natural Law Party, the Working Class Party, and the U.S. Taxpayers’ Party.

Rating: Lean Democrat

Minnesota – Incumbent Democrat Sen. Tina Smith is running against Republican Rep. Jason Lewis. Lewis is a former radio talk show host, with all the sort of “opinions” you’d expect from a right-wing talk show host, which he now qualifies as “taken out of context”. In a year where Minnesota is nearly ten points ahead for Biden, the negative coattail effect is substantial. Lewis will carry the backwoods parts of Minnesota but likely get trounced in the Minneapolis-St.Paul area. Current polling has Smith up by 8.3 percent, but there are still a whopping 16% undecided in the most recent poll. Lewis is struggling to crack 40% in most polls.

Rating: Likely Democrat

Montana – Montana has a history of playing against type, electing Democratic governors since 2004 and two Democratic Senators (Max Baucus and Jon Tester) even as it voted solidly for Republican Presidential candidates over that same timeframe. Incumbent Republican Steve Daines won Baucus’ open seat in 2014, but now faces a stiff challenge from the sitting Governor, Steve Bullock. Bullock is one of the most popular governors in the country, as was his predecessor, Democrat Brian Schweitzer. Daines currently leads by 3.3 percent in polling, though one recent poll showed the race a dead heat.

Rating: Lean Republican

North Carolina – My home state, this one went from being a contest between two relatively boring mensches to a total shitshow in the span of less than 12 hours. Incumbent Thom Tillis, a former State Speaker of the House had spent six years being sort of a poor man’s Lindsey Graham – occasionally making vaguely disagreeable noises about something Trump said or did, and then quickly falling back in line if Trump gave him so much as a cross look. Prior to Trump, he mostly made a laughingstock of himself by saying things like Starbucks employees shouldn’t be forced to wash their hands.

Given that NC is very much a swing state this cycle, with a moderately popular Democratic governor and a Trump base that never hewed that closely to Tillis in the first place, Tillis was seen as highly vulnerable. Tillis shrugged off a few Trumpist primary challengers, while the Dem primary came down to former state senator Cal Cunningham and current state senator Erica  Smith. Cunningham had the backing of endorsement of the state Democratic machinery and won a relatively close but civil primary.

The negative coattail effect seemed to be slowly dragging Tillis down, and the two were neck and neck all summer, and then a bombshell: Tillis had tested positive for COVID-19, presumably having contracted it from his attendance at the now-infamous Amy Coney Barrett nomination event, which he attended as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Within—I shit you not—less than 12 hours of Tillis’s COVID announcement, Cunningham issued a statement admitting to an affair with a California-based political strategist, after text messages between the two had been leaked to a right-wing blog. It has since come out that the two got freaky in his NC home, that her husband is suing him, and that the Army Reserve is opening an investigation since he is still an active Reservist and adultery is a violation of the UCMJ. (<insert pause here for MetalSlimeHunt to throw things at the screen and scream in rage>)

Despite all that, Cunningham’s lead in the polls (leading by 4.3) does not appear to have taken a hit (though he’s fallen about a point in the last 2 days, but Tillis hasn’t gained any). So if anything, it’s possible people are just back on their heels and trying to reassess if they can hold their nose and pull the blue lever to get rid of Tillis, or go third-party or whatever.

Rating: Lean Democrat, FLIP but with a big caveat that further developments could push this into toss-up territory.

South Carolina – Aforementioned whipping boy Lindsey Graham is in the fight of his political career against Jaime Harrison, the former head of the SC Democratic Party and associate chairman of the DNC. The mere thought of a black Democrat running and winning in South Carolina would have been laughable in most year. But as we are all painfully aware, this is not most years. THIS IS 2020, BABY!
While Harrison started the race more than 20 points down to Graham, he has continued to creep closer and closer all spring and summer, buoyed by an absolute torrent of outside money. Graham gave Harrison terrific ammo when he refused to oppose a SCOTUS nomination after the death of Justice Ginsburg, despite having gone on the record in 2016 as saying he would oppose any nomination of a Republican President in 2020 as well, and telling critics to “hold the tape”. Well, they did. And believe me, it’s been getting played nonstop in the Palmetto State ever since.

Problem is, that doesn’t cost him votes among the Republican base. If anything they see as a sign that he’s a genuine Trump loyalist, unburdened by pesky trifles like “sticking to his word” or “being uncomfortable with hypocrisy”. After all this time, he’s finally one of them.
For the remainder of South Carolinians (and Democrats across the nation), it’s invigorated them with righteous fury to get Graham voted out. Polls have been in a dead heat since August and Graham, by his own admission, is running on fumes even as millions continue to pour into Harrison’s warchest.

Texas – Feels almost anticlimactic to finish with this one, but then I’m moving Georgia to the end anyways, so it’s all good. Longtime Senator John Cornyn is in a surprisingly close one against MJ Hegar, a decorated former Air Force Major and Afghanistan veteran who nearly won a Congressional race in 2018 and had the endorsements of everyone from Barack Obama to Lin-Manuel Miranda for her campaign ad, discussing getting shot down in Afghanistan and having shrapnel wounds. That kind of military pedigree carries a lot of weight in a state like Texas, and Cornyn – a historically popular Senator – is not even breaking 50% in most polls. He is still leading by around 7.6% however, with a lot of undecided voters still on the sidelines.

Rating: Likely Republican

Remember, we were at 44 D, 42 R, +1 net for GOP to start with. Now we're at 50 D, 44 R, (+3 Democratic net), with four toss-ups still out there.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40439 on: October 14, 2020, 04:00:33 pm »

Now, this one is a peach (pun intended). Because of the timing of Sen. Isaakson's retirement, BOTH Georgia senate seats are up for grabs this year. And because Georgia is one of the closest swing states in the country, they're literally both up for grabs.

Georgia (normal election) – Incumbent David Perdue is running for a second term against Democrat Jon Ossoff. If that name sounds familiar, it’s because Ossoff narrowly lost a 2017 special election for a Congressional seat that was the only national race that year. Seen as an early harbinger of the 2018 election cycle, both sides poured an absolutely ridiculous amount of money into the race, which Ossoff ended up losing by less than 10,000 votes, after dominating the first round, a so-called “jungle primary” in which all candidates from all parties are on the ballot and then the top two vote-getters have a second round of voting if no one exceeds 50%. Ossoff had 48.1% in the first round, which featured eleven Republicans, five Democrats, and two independents. The next closest candidate, Republican Karen Handel, had 19.8%. In the second round, all of the Republican support coalesced behind Handel and she won 51.7% to 48.2%. (Should also be noted that Handel then lost re-election to a Democrat in 2018, making this the most expensive 18-month Congressional tenure in history.)

Georgia has been seeing a steady blue shift over the last 4-6 years, with a number of exceedingly close statewide races, counterbalanced by voting shenanigans from the state’s Republican Governor, Brian Kemp. Current polling average has Perdue up by 2.8, which is well within MOE for most polls. That said, the existence of voter suppression efforts in Georgia tend to make me pessimistic about GA races for this cycle.
Rating: Lean Republican

Georgia (special election) – Ok, go grab a drink before you start this one because it’s going to be complicated. As mentioned in the previous entry, Georgia likes their special elections messy. This one is also a jungle primary with five Republicans, eight Democrats, five independents, a Libertarian and a Green in the race. (There might also be a midget with a goat, I lost track.)
You would expect tremendous pressure on both sides for their weaker candidates to withdraw and consolidate all their votes to have a better chance to win outright and avoid a runoff. And you’d be correct, there has been a lot of that. And yet, here we are. Let’s start with the Republicans. And to do that, we need a bit of a history lesson.

In August 2019, then-Senator Johnny Isaakson announced he was resigning due to poor health. While it is then the Governor’s job to select and appoint a replacement, Gov. Brian Kemp went about it in a somewhat unusual fashion – he posted a job opening. A website was set up to allow any and all Georgians to apply for the job, which thousands of them did. From lobbyists to pundits to members of his own staff to hog farmers. A lot of people thought it was political theater, an attempt to seem like a man of the people before picking some party insider like Rep. Doug Collins, an ally of President Trump and Trump’s anointed desired pick for the seat.

Which is why people lost their shit when three months later, he announced the pick of Kelly Loeffler, the CEO of an investment firm and part-owner of the Atlanta WNBA team, and a complete unknown in Georgia politics. Actually, they had begun losing their shit for a month or more before that, as it became clearer that he was not going to pick Collins and was leaning towards Loeffler. The right-wing punditocracy and the GOP establishment both excoriated her as an unqualified newbie, not a “real” conservative, etc. Some even hinted at shadier motives for picking a young, attractive blonde woman (who admittedly, rose to senior VP in her previous investment firm after marrying its’ CEO). But Kemp stuck to his guns, even at the risk of pissing off Trump.

Flash forward eight months. Loeffler became the Trumpiest Trumper to ever Trump a Trump, Tweeting out about BLM and Antifa and “the China virus” and generally being as vocal a cheerleader as she could be. Trump and the GOP establishment now considered her a favorite and supported her re-election bid.

But who should come into the picture but Doug Collins, the jilted former golden boy who had been replaced. Collins announced his candidacy, which because of the jungle primary format, meant that it was splitting the vote and giving the Democrats a key opportunity to pick off a Senate seat in a purple state. McConnell tried talking Collins out of his run and announced that the NRCC would not provide any funding or support for Collins (despite having backed Collins less than a year earlier), which Collins turned around and used to argue that he was the “true” conservative, hated by swamp dwellers like McConnell. The remaining Republicans have little to no support and are polling single digits or lower, but Loeffler is at around 25%, while Collins is around 21%. Interestingly enough, when polled head-to-head against Warnock, the likely Democratic challenger in the second round, Collins tends to win while Loeffler loses.

On the Democratic side, the opportunity was too good to pass up. So good, in fact, that too many couldn’t pass it up, which negates the value of the opportunity. It’s like a bunch of people rushing to the throne room, causing them to all get stuck in the doorway flailing. The leading candidate is Rev. Raphael Warnock, an Atlanta-area preacher and activist. Most of the remaining candidates are single digit or less, with exceptions of Matt Lieberman (son of former Senator and Democrat-turned-Independent Joe Lieberman) and Ed Tarver (a former State Senator and US District Attorney). Warnock is polling around 40%, Lieberman around 8%, and Tarver around 3-4%.

You can see the insanity in this – in both cases, if either party could winnow down their field to one main candidate, they’d likely win. But neither side can convince the holdouts. On the GOP side, it makes sense – both are polling pretty close to each other. Collins thinks if he can be one of the top 2, he has a good shot to beat Warnock in the runoff, and likely feels like it should have been his seat anyways. Loeffler, for her part, is the incumbent and likely thinks *she* can beat Warnock, and feels like Collins is just a thirsty bitch who can’t get over getting dumped.

But on the Democratic side, when one candidate is so far out ahead, I just can’t fathom the egomania it takes to hang on in the race, knowing it’s hurting your party’s chances. Lieberman, to be fair, was actually outpolling Warnock back in the spring and was very close through July. But now his support is cratering as the state party apparatus lines up behind Warnock. Tarver has never cracked 5% in polling the whole time, so again, not sure why he’s still in it when the margins are this close.

Now for the EXTRA fun part – if no one blinks, you’re likely looking at a scenario where Warnock gets around 40-45% of the vote, and the second place goes to one of the Republicans with around 25%. Which means a second election to decide the actual winner of the seat, which won’t take place until January 5, 2021. Which means that depending on how things shake out elsewhere, control of the US Senate may not be decided until two months after Election Day, and a mere 15 days before Inauguration Day. Which could also mean that the amount of money and national focus on the runoff race could make the 2017 House special election in Georgia (which cost an estimated $50 million) look like a high school class president race by comparison.

Rating:

Pages: 1 ... 2694 2695 [2696] 2697 2698 ... 3567