Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2697 2698 [2699] 2700 2701 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228056 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40470 on: October 15, 2020, 07:42:53 pm »

Moderate-Conservative Democrat: We want to close background check loopholes.
Republicans: THEY WANT TO KICK DOWN YOUR DOORS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND TAKE ALL YOUR GUNS AWAY!!!!

I know some folks that are 1-issue on guns.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40471 on: October 16, 2020, 07:08:57 am »

Speaking of random right-wing WTFery, Trump retweeted a QAnon conspiracy that Osama bin Laden is actually alive, that Seal Team 6 killed a body double, and that Obama and Biden then had the "real" Seal Team 6 executed to cover up the truth. Obviously, the real Seal Team 6 (or their clones or Life Model Decoys or whatever the fuck Qtards think they are) aren't exactly pleased about it.

The best part is that at least one of them is a hard core Trump supporter. It's all a bit "leopards ate my face."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40472 on: October 16, 2020, 09:18:43 am »

Donald Trump just shared a parody news article from The Babylon Bee on Twitter. The "news" article was about how Jack Dorsey completely shut down Twitter to prevent a negative story about Biden from spreading.

As an aside, according to the story, Dorsey used a special sledgehammer set behind glass you're meant to break in case of negative news about Democrats, then you can smash the servers with the hammer. However, the people at twitter pioved too spindly-armed to lift the sledgehammer so they programmed a robot to do it, but the robot accidentally got Woke and started attacking all the cis white male employees instead.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/donald-trump-shares-satirical-babylon-bee-story-as-though-it-is-real-news/news-story/c4c8d54d0e3da3ef7e527edde1b72577
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:20:53 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40473 on: October 16, 2020, 09:22:10 am »

I suppose that when you've publicly rejected truth for so long, it becomes hard to tell the difference.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40474 on: October 16, 2020, 09:36:35 am »

I doubt he read the article. Any of it. You see the paraphrase I did of the article's contents? That's not condensed down, it's basically the whole article. This is literally the entire article:

In a last-ditch effort to stop negative stories about Joe Biden and his family from spreading, Twitter shut down its entire social network Thursday.

After seeing account after account tweet out one particularly bad story, CEO Jack Dorsey realized he had to take action. Dorsey smashed a glass box in his office reading "Break In Case Of Bad Publicity For Democrats." Inside the case was a sledgehammer for smashing Twitter's servers.

"Red alert -- shut the servers down! Shut them all down!"

Dorsey ran downstairs and started smashing as many computers as he could, but he did need to ask for some help, as the hammer was pretty heavy. None of the programmers could lift the hammer, either. Eventually, they managed to program a robot to pick up the sledgehammer and smash the servers.

After hearing the Twitter employees talk about critical theory, the robot got woke and began attacking all the cis white males.

So, yeah, it's headline scraping only here. This is not like an Onion parody article, it's far more barebones than that. You get to the thing about the special Democrat Hammer for self-destructing Twitter by the third sentence in.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:40:15 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40475 on: October 16, 2020, 09:42:18 am »

That reads like a "Text to Transformer" AI generated story.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40476 on: October 16, 2020, 10:04:18 am »

That reads like a "Text to Transformer" AI generated story.
I see you're familiar with Babylon Bee. It's like The Onion, if the Onion was written by Charlie Kirk. Satire with all the subtlety of a clown with a bicycle horn.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #40477 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:01 am »

Is it bad that I read Reelya’s summary of the article and thought it was a real thing that a conservative media commentator might write until I scrolled up and was very happy to see it was only Donald Trump failing to understand satire?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40478 on: October 16, 2020, 05:09:52 pm »

Voted in NC's 2nd day of early voting today. We had around 330,000 vote yesterday and likely close to that today. Luckily, I found a resource that's tracking mail-in and early voting among the states, and I'm working on an analysis of that now, since that could factor heavily into the "when will we know" calculus. Some states are on track to have the majority of their votes cast before Election Day, which could dramatically reduce the time and uncertainty.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40479 on: October 16, 2020, 05:38:07 pm »

Black lives matter.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40480 on: October 16, 2020, 07:34:32 pm »

Can’t wait for literally nothing to be done about this.
That is complete garbage and any psychiatrist who would make such a diagnosis based on television should be, and very likely will be, delicensed.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40481 on: October 16, 2020, 08:31:41 pm »

Can’t wait for literally nothing to be done about this.
That is complete garbage and any psychiatrist who would make such a diagnosis based on television should be, and very likely will be, delicensed.

The examples listed in that article are pretty obvious. I do agree it's irresponsible for them to be saying that, but they're also not saying anything that's not clearly obvious even to an untrained eye. And none of them are really damning other than maybe cognitive disorder, which you'd have a hard time arguing Biden isn't showing signs of either. The others listed are almost resume requirements for politicians and businessmen.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40482 on: October 16, 2020, 09:09:38 pm »

The examples listed in that article are pretty obvious. I do agree it's irresponsible for them to be saying that, but they're also not saying anything that's not clearly obvious even to an untrained eye. And none of them are really damning other than maybe cognitive disorder, which you'd have a hard time arguing Biden isn't showing signs of either. The others listed are almost resume requirements for politicians and businessmen.
Actually, to give one example, the conventional description of "narcissism" is not particularly consistent with the psychological definition; what's obvious to the untrained eye may have nothing to do with a psychiatric diagnosis. I would in fact tend to say that Trump does not show the obvious signs of psychiatric narcissism; it's apparent that he thinks he's the best, but grandiosity is not the same thing as narcissism. Certainly, without evaluating him based on the actual symptom lists, it's not something that can be said. He's also very obviously not sociopathic, and seems in fact a little insecure, which is virtually incompatible. Most politicians are not sociopaths; most sociopaths would never dream of wanting to be a politician OR a television personality, which are both games for people who like to be around other people.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40483 on: October 16, 2020, 09:17:12 pm »

Also hardly new information. Psychologists have been sounding the warning bell on Trump's issues for at least 2-3 years now. His people already know he's crazy. They like him *because* he's crazy. These are the same people that made Honey Boo Boo a star, because they enjoy watching a trainwreck for entertainment.

Anywho, I've crunched the early voting numbers and they're impressive.
Data is sourced from Prof. Michael McDonald at the University of Florida, who in turn is sourcing it from open news sources and state boards of elections wherever possible. In some cases the numbers are actually trailing behind actuals, and 9 states (including NY) have no data available as yet. So these numbers are actually an understatement.

Total registered voters in the US (this is very much a moving estimate, especially as people can continue to register at early voting sites): 152,666,000

Number of ballots already cast: 22,289,366 (14.6%). I know for a fact this number is higher, as NC logged an additional 350-400k in-person votes today that aren't tallied yet in McDonald's numbers.

Total votes cast in the 2016 general election totalled 136,669,276, so we're already at 16% and remember we have no data for NY or 8 other states.

At least a whopping 77 milion mail-in ballots have been requested so far, and 17.5 million have been received (22.7%).

An additional 4.76 million people (actually over 5 million due to the missing NC numbers) have voted in-person absentee ballots, including 2.18 million just from Texas alone.

Mail-in ballots have been roughly 2-to-1 coming from registered Democrats as opposed to registered Republicans, a big change from the normal pattern in which mail-in ballots are typically coming from elderly heavily-Republican voters who might be mobility-challenged.

This may set up an interesting reverse dynamic on Election night, where instead of a simple blue shift as the larger urban precincts report in later, you may have a V-shift, where a number of states start off with a sizeable Democratic lead due to early voting, then a red shift as rural precincts report in shortly after polls close, followed by a blue shift as the urban precincts report in later. Don't be surprised if this gets spun as "See, we were starting to win so the Democrats had to make up fake ballots late in the night to steal the election!"

Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan all deserve a closer look, as none will start tallying mail-in ballots until Election Day and all are potentially crucial battleground states.

-PA has so far received 683,136 mail-in ballots, an increase of almost 10x from 2016 (and we still have 2.5 weeks left).
-WI has received 821,300 mail-in ballots, an increase of about 6x from 2016.
-MI has received a stunning 1.4 million mail-in ballots so far, and no one is allowed to even take them out of the envelope to prepare them for tabulation until 10 hours before polls open on Election Day. They're also, by law, allowed to count any mail-in ballots arriving up through Nov. 17th, as long as postmarked by Election Day, the latest such deadline in the country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40484 on: October 16, 2020, 09:28:44 pm »

The two main problems with diagnose-via-TV are:
1) The pre-selection of observable behaviours (in direct observation, guarded and unguarded episodes will be witnessed if the observing is done properly, rather than relying upon "snapshots" as chosen as remarkable examples amongst many other periods filmed but left upon the (possibly virtual) cutting-room floor.

2) The active 'playing to the camera' (up-play or down-play) with no ability to challenge the subject or assess the possible transitions into and out of the acting.

Maybe it evens itself out when footage from both pro- and anti- media outlets are set against each other, and crowd-pleasing of both 'home' crowds and more general viewership are represented alongside more candid shots. But it won't be the same as a willing (or even reluctant) session or set of sessions doing whatever the current equivalent of laying on the couch is.

That said, there's something wrong. A different wrong than most politicians (even the ones I think are self-serving, smarmy, misguided, deluded, etc). To my utterly untrained-in-psychology/psychiatry eyes. I don't think it's imposdible to professionally deduce something. Even if it's a consciously exuded something.

(You'd have to worry about someone 'playing' at being overly self-absorbed, perhaps more than the person who just plainly is, for example.)

PS. Can I echo the appreciation to RedKing. I've not yet had good readon to respond directly, but as the second of two "new replies posted" while I was typing, I'll rectify that omission while I'm already in the post-editor for this other thing. Skimmed the latest, just now, will properly read once this is posted.
Pages: 1 ... 2697 2698 [2699] 2700 2701 ... 3567