Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2696 2697 [2698] 2699 2700 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227604 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40455 on: October 15, 2020, 06:30:32 am »

Ah, quick-ish check says it's a vehicle emissions thing. They check to make sure cars et al aren't violating emissions standards for the area in question. Some offer on the spot repairs, as well, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40456 on: October 15, 2020, 06:46:18 am »

That was my other thought, but then (over here) those are done at ordinary vehicle-servicing premises. At least any that does the MOT (Ministry Of Transport semiregular compulsary roadworthiness check and certification) and it'd be as much sense calling them a Smog-Checking Shop as it would be to call them a Tyre-Validation Boutique or Rust-Quantifying Emporium.

Still, CA/US requirements for passable automobiles are entirely (including literally) foreign to me, so I remain unsurprised if there's somehow a niche for just this one (or overwhelmingly predominant) focus of a business, enough to make it nominative (perhaps ironically, if the concept of irony has established itself to that degree).

(( Me <- https://xkcd.com/1053/ ))

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40457 on: October 15, 2020, 07:54:50 am »

Glad so many folks found value in the Senate analysis. Bottom line is that I see a 50-50 split Senate as the likely floor for Democrats this cycle, with a 55-45 Dem majority as the likely ceiling.

Hopefully by end of week I'll find time to do the "when will we have a winner?" analysis. Also *might* do a House analysis, but not a huge value there -- short answer is, the Democrats will retain control of the House, the only question is by how much. There is a depressingly high number of House races that are not competitive whatsoever.

EDIT: Early voting opens today in NC, and people were lined up an hour before polls opened. Durham County reporting 90+ minute waits at a number of locations. I'm gonna go check mine a bit later this morning.

DOUBLE-EDIT: Daaamn. Looks like about 1/4-mile long line as of 10am. Mind you, this is for a town of 6,000 people plus maybe another 3000 from the surrounding countryside (the southern half of the county has multiple locations in Chapel Hill to go to). I'm hearing two-hour wait for our polling station.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:44:28 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40458 on: October 15, 2020, 11:38:38 am »

I do really wish there was a 'No Trust' voting option to disband the government if all the candidates or the election system itself is clearly corrupt. It'd be much better than being forced to play a crooked, disgusting game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40459 on: October 15, 2020, 11:57:29 am »

Yeah I think early voting opened here as well, people are reporting lines both for in-person voting at the County Election Commission, and even lines for the Absentee Ballot drop off box.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40460 on: October 15, 2020, 01:11:00 pm »

At this rate, from all reports, Trump can announce the 'third' debate as irrelevent, I imagine.

(I don't think he has the confidence to even try to participate. It could really only hurt his chances among the 'dwindling' endecided/not-yet voters.)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40461 on: October 15, 2020, 01:26:28 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Npj_Ig__A&ab_channel=TheDailyShowwithTrevorNoah

This short segment interviewing African Americans, albeit by a comedian and not very rigorously, but it got me thinking; I'm just really curious what the pro-trump one is really thinking. Is he just that out of touch with reality?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40462 on: October 15, 2020, 02:38:25 pm »

Well he also denies there are any white supremacists getting around either, the guy is just stuck in his bubble, his "well I haven't seen it" to anything controversial says it all. It's not hard to find out that stuff is going on, he's just selective in what he pays attention to.

He probably says "well i haven't seen any glaciers melting, and it's still cold in winter" to climate change too. The guy's opinions can be generally dismissed, but noted as what it's like to talk to someone in reality denial.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:40:23 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40463 on: October 15, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »

The American Right has gotten increasingly solipsistic in the last 12 years, arguing that you cannot trust anything that you do not directly observe, because everything online and in media is a lie.
They even have some great YouTube videos and FOX News stories about it they'd like you to see!  :P

Speaking of random right-wing WTFery, Trump retweeted a QAnon conspiracy that Osama bin Laden is actually alive, that Seal Team 6 killed a body double, and that Obama and Biden then had the "real" Seal Team 6 executed to cover up the truth. Obviously, the real Seal Team 6 (or their clones or Life Model Decoys or whatever the fuck Qtards think they are) aren't exactly pleased about it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40464 on: October 15, 2020, 03:29:28 pm »

How can the news be real if our eyes aren't real

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40465 on: October 15, 2020, 04:24:48 pm »

Eyes are just a way for the liberal elite to control you. Best to gouge them out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40466 on: October 15, 2020, 05:47:32 pm »

but if bush did 9/11 why does bin laden matter
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40467 on: October 15, 2020, 05:51:35 pm »

The real Bin Laden was the friends we made along the way.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #40468 on: October 15, 2020, 05:51:46 pm »

+1 on the RedKing appreciation, thanks for the effort.

Agreed - just read through this at work. Well put together.
Ditto. Is this really all for us? It's not even our birthday!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40469 on: October 15, 2020, 06:00:44 pm »

Well he also denies there are any white supremacists getting around either, the guy is just stuck in his bubble, his "well I haven't seen it" to anything controversial says it all. It's not hard to find out that stuff is going on, he's just selective in what he pays attention to.

My sister is a die-hard Republican (not voting this election, due to being immuno-compromised and therefore unable to register to vote due to stricter Republican measures and an uncontrolled virus, but she doesn't see the connection) and basically lives this way - she just sees it as "lower taxes" and then ignores absolutely everything else. I kind of get it - like how many Christians vote entirely because of abortion and ignore absolutely everything else?
Pages: 1 ... 2696 2697 [2698] 2699 2700 ... 3566