Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2497 2498 [2499] 2500 2501 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223167 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37470 on: June 19, 2020, 11:11:46 pm »

It might think it's an alternate spelling of sortie, some military operation

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37471 on: June 19, 2020, 11:14:05 pm »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ea7KsHsX0AAOrP3?format=jpg&name=large

Hearings with the House are set for Wednesday.

This is what things going down looks like.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37472 on: June 20, 2020, 03:37:59 pm »

"To recap:

Barr says Berman resigned and will get promoted.

Berman says Barr doesn't have the authority to fire him and he's not leaving

Barr releases a letter saying he has asked the president to fire Berman and the president has done so

The president says he's not involved and it's up to Barr"

Well, outside of this meaning that the AG just got caught lying in writing twice in under 24 hours, it's amusing seeing Trump's rank cowardice (never, ever take responsibility for anything) run up directly against his autocratic desires like this.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37473 on: June 20, 2020, 03:41:09 pm »

Rats, ships, etc.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37474 on: June 20, 2020, 04:32:27 pm »

It's a complicated ongoing situation at the moment, but it looks like his slow-moving purge of oversight (one person every couple weeks, all on late-night Fridays, ala Iran-Contra) inevitably ran into someone who would contest the dismissal.

And Berman has a lot of cards in his hands.  He was chosen by the current administration three years ago, as an unconfirmed 'acting' head of the SDNY.  He was then appointed permanently to the position by the SDNY judges because the exective branch left the position vacant after 120 days, as per statue.

That means the AG can't fire him, as he's a judicial appointment, not an executive one.  There is an old OLN memo that suggests that the president personally may have the authority to fire him, under a wide blanket.  He certainly has enough to contest the dismissal, in which case it'll probably go back to the Supreme Court, which will take at least six months, meaning Berman will stay for at least that long.

He also has more cards, because of the utter incompetence of the administration's malice.  Barr in his Friday night press statement both said that Berman was 'resigning' and that he was going to be offered a promotion to a key position.  It was going to be fradulent, as that was a similar strategy to remove another person.  Offer a promotion, accept resignation, remove promised position, and you fire someone without firing them.

..but stating in writing that the person in question is going to be considered for a higher position removes quite a lot of 'He was incompetent, so I fired him' ground, at least if it ever sees a judge.

..secondly, lying that a person is resigning when the person is being fired via press-release is simply incredibly dirty.  After that person than makes it absolutely clear that he isn't resigning, it makes that whole statement an obvious, blatant lie.

And then Barr writes another letter, claiming that he asked the president for his dismissal (quite possibly true) and that the president granted it (also quite possibly true.. the parnas tapes make it clear basically any of his insiders can ask for people to be removed), and that Berman should consider himself fired by the president.

Of course, that letter was unsigned and not actually from Trump, followed with Trump saying to reporters that he's not involved in it at all and that it's all up to Barr, which completely undercuts the letter Barr just wrote.

It's just horrifically corrupt and autocratic.  Hasn't even provided a flimsy reason for the dismissal in all this.  I'm not going to speculate on why, because the list of SDNY investigations that they could want stopped is longer than this post.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:35:47 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37475 on: June 20, 2020, 05:50:45 pm »

Mmm, Berman agrees to step down instead of fighting it out, so Berman's deputy, chosen replacement, and head of several active anti-trump investigations is put in, instead of Barr's pet.  No idea if they're going to turn around and fire her in a week, but it does free him up to testify in front of the House next week.  Guess he decided to play it that way.  I don't know if I'd like it, I'd have wanted Trump to be forced to put his name on a document personally, first.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37476 on: June 20, 2020, 06:03:03 pm »

I keep having bizarre mashups in my head, when I think about contemporary US politics.

I keep seeing the "night watch" from babylon 5, but placed in the screwed up "earth" from Lexx.

Yes.  That about sums up this presidency and cabinet, I think.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37477 on: June 20, 2020, 06:53:46 pm »

In other news, Kpop stans have been submitting fake reservations for the Tulsa rally.  It's apparently a popular pastime at the protests as well.  They had a second shorter speech planned for the outdoor overflow crowd but looking at the livestream the arena is only like 80% full, maybe less.  The outdoor remarks are already cancelled.

If you go by twitter trump is wildly popular, but all his fans are numbernames, been wondering who's doing that actually and what their game is, aside from falsifying his popularity.  There's a sizeable contingent of anti-trump numbernames too, and I'm wondering if it's not just pure disruption, no particular goal in mind aside from fucking around.  Foreign Actor X or Y or Z doesn't really need to make a given candidate win, they just have to keep undermining trust in the process with high visibility shenanigans.

Wondering if Trump's support is flagging though, or if COVID fears in his base are stronger than they're signalling.
Shoes...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37478 on: June 20, 2020, 07:36:42 pm »

According to right-wing facebook, Trump's rally had the population of Tulsa in a mob out front, while Biden had 4 people on folding chairs in a high school gym.

I'm not here to contribute anything.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37479 on: June 20, 2020, 07:41:58 pm »

I was curious and looked at some news and I learned that people are still going to rallies and spreading Coronavirus.
Why are people even going to rallies during a pandemic?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37480 on: June 20, 2020, 07:42:08 pm »

Natch.  Of course, they had an outdoor speaking area, which got dismantled due to nobody present, and if there were really crowds of protestors they'd just shoot pictures of them and call them Trump supporters.

Fewer people will get sick from this.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37481 on: June 20, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »

I was curious and looked at some news and I learned that people are still going to rallies and spreading Coronavirus.
Why are people even going to rallies during a pandemic?

Because many of them believe it's a hoax perpetuated by the media, and want to support their candidate.  And because Trump really doesn't give a shit about how many people live or die, and has a narcissistic requirement for continual ego reinforcement, regardless of the situation.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37482 on: June 20, 2020, 09:49:33 pm »

It's also being presented as a liberty argument. It's my god-given right to not wear a mask and to gather in large crowds during a pandemic. To enforce safety regulations is to recklessly violate the constitution.

OSHA doesn't exist and neither do seatbelt laws.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37483 on: June 20, 2020, 09:57:02 pm »

The people I know are just full-on stubborn Kohlberg Stage I. No reason, they just don't want to do it, and since they aren't punished for not doing it they'll keep on vocally not doing it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37484 on: June 20, 2020, 10:02:58 pm »

Wouldn’t getting COVID be a punishment for not wearing a mask and quarantining oneself? Wouldn’t spreading COVID to friends/family be punishment?
Pages: 1 ... 2497 2498 [2499] 2500 2501 ... 3566