Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2498 2499 [2500] 2501 2502 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222600 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37485 on: June 20, 2020, 10:17:25 pm »

Ah, but you see, COVID isn't real. It's just a plot to take down President Trump and destroy the real America. Or it's just a little flu that all the kids under 60 don't see isn't a big deal. Or it's ok if I die because I won't, because I'm a strong breed. Or we need to get COVID like we brought all our kids to the chickenpox parties to get it over with back before the libs made us all get vaccinated and weak-willed. Or whatever else, pick the boomerism you like best.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37486 on: June 20, 2020, 10:36:15 pm »

My sister has convinced herself that the flu she got in November was Covid and that she is therefore immune. In times of actual crisis people are willing to delude themselves because it gives them comfort and stength in the immediate, even if the behavior is irrational on a larger scale.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37487 on: June 21, 2020, 03:28:55 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:27:46 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37488 on: June 21, 2020, 03:40:55 am »

I had something that fits COVID's description sometime last winter as well.

Unlike other flu sufferers, I actually went to the ER, because my lungs had rattles in the lower quadrants, and rather than breathe, I "gurgled".  I did not feel short of breath, but knew that I had reduced lung function (as I work in healthcare, and know these are signs of severe pre-pneumonia).

The ER doctor ruled out flu virus with a nasal viral DNA swap test.  It was NOT influenza.

I was prescribed a 1-week course of corticosteroid dosepack pills.  They worked.  I was better in a week.

I have often wondered if I had contracted the crow plague back then. There was a terrible round-robin cycle of infection going on with the resident population then.

(keep in mind, "Corona viruses" are a wide category of related viruses that covers basically most forms of the common cold. Given it was not an influenza, it was likely some KIND of corona virus, but I do not know if it was COVID-19 novel corona virus. Symptoms seemed to match, but there was not a diagnostic test for that back then.)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:44:22 am by wierd »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37489 on: June 21, 2020, 03:48:41 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:27:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37490 on: June 21, 2020, 06:21:15 am »

I likely didn't have it when I got sick a while back since my region is one of the least infected (or at least it was until the travel restrictions were lifted) but I still wonder if it was the case that I had it. Working in a grocery store with lots of customers going through it it does make me feel a little more calm.
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37491 on: June 21, 2020, 12:40:24 pm »

My mom had whatever that was back in November. She's an ER nurse in California.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37492 on: June 21, 2020, 01:29:14 pm »

I thought I had it -- some kind of disease that I had very mildly but didn't feel like anything I'd ever had -- but it was just before the shelter in place started in California, in mid-March. Still being careful and wearing my mask, although I do go outside pretty regularly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37493 on: June 21, 2020, 01:37:23 pm »

I attribute most of the unusual disease claims to confirmation bias - and I say this having had my own unusual disease back in January, when we now know covid was most likely all over the US but untested. It seems like nearly everyone has had this happen or knows someone who has, but then is that so surprising? It was cold and flu season. Most people are going to have some kind of sickness over the nearly half-year period between covid's emergence and lockdown. Also, I didn't have the signature symptom of taste loss.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37494 on: June 21, 2020, 01:42:55 pm »

I lost a ton of weight, could barely make myself eat, and had a weird tight feeling in my chest that I chalked up to anxiety up until I suddenly got a fever (although I never get anxiety in my sternum). The doctor was very interested on the phone, LOL. But regardless, I agree it's better to assume you didn't have it and play it safe.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37495 on: June 21, 2020, 01:55:39 pm »

That, and after the ship full of military people all caught it a second time, it seems like maybe immunity isn't a thing for this virus.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37496 on: June 21, 2020, 02:10:53 pm »

That, and after the ship full of military people all caught it a second time, it seems like maybe immunity isn't a thing for this virus.

That's been discussed before. There isn't enough evidence for re-transmission.

For this specific ship, over 1000 tested positive, then out of them, 5 people tested negative twice, then tested positive again. It's more likely that they didn't get over the first time, and the two negative tests were false negatives. After all this is only half a percent of the number of crew who got infected, 1 per 200 people. Let's say that the test picks up the virus 90% of the time. Then, out of 1000 known infected people, 100 will falsely pass the next test. Then, out of those 100, you do a follow up test, and 10 will also falsely pass that test. Account for some who did actually get over it on their own in the meantime, and 5 out of 1000 falsely passing two tests then failing the third would be about what you'd expect just from chance.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200526173832.htm

researchers at Johns Hopkins have found that the chance of a false negative result -- when a virus is not detected in a person who actually is, or recently has been, infected -- is greater than 1 in 5 and, at times, far higher.

So the thing is, the tests individually have a pretty high false negative rate, depending on the test, and if you have a large enough sample-size of people you're testing then of course some of them will have this pattern of two false negatives followed by a positive. You need better evidence than that for retransmission, since you can always find these anecdotes by testing enough people.

The only reason that you're not seeing even more false negatives being picked up is that some of the false-negative people will actually get better on their own before the follow-up test, or the follow-up test itself will be a false-negative too, so they'll slip through the system.

"omg someone tested positive after we cleared them the first time, they must have got it again" sounds more like they're trying to cover their ass that their testing regime isn't robust enough, rather than being proof of retransmission.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:25:22 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37497 on: June 21, 2020, 02:36:25 pm »

Also, I didn't have the signature symptom of taste loss.
Wait, has that been confirmed as actually ubiquitous or somethin'? It's certainly not unique to the crow plague (that's a general respiratory symptom, or something along those lines), and I hadn't heard anything about it being a consistent symptom.

Honestly, I don't think I've heard of anything in particular that could be called signature, so far as symptoms go. Above and beyond there being a lot of inconsistent weirdness being noticed, most of the symptoms are basically just common respiratory ones. It's one of the reasons you basically can't bloody know if your cold/flu symptoms were or were not covid 19 based just on symptoms. Shit could be a lot of stuff, not just the crow plague. Testing's the one way to be particularly sure, and even that isn't an entirely reliable measure :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37498 on: June 21, 2020, 02:41:02 pm »

In my mom's case, flu was ruled out due to swab, like with wierd.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37499 on: June 21, 2020, 03:31:02 pm »

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/six-trump-rally-staff-contract-covid-19-20200621-p554mg.html

Washington: Donald Trump has told thousands of cheering supporters he had asked US officials to slow down testing for the novel coronavirus, calling it a "double-edged sword" that led to more cases being discovered.

Knowledge is a double-edged sword because you might know stuff that's going on that is bad.

Trump's back at his argument that they're better off just not knowing that the virus is killing people, so sweep it under the carpet and those people can die like good Americans, quietly and not making a fuss about things because they want to hurt Trump's election chances. Those thoughtless dying people.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:33:10 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2498 2499 [2500] 2501 2502 ... 3566