Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2428 2429 [2430] 2431 2432 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221846 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36435 on: April 25, 2020, 07:33:27 am »

Goldfish have much longer memories than the “3 seconds of memory” myth

"Memory like a Goldfish" is just an expression.

However, if you're going to take things super-literally then you can't pick and choose like that.

A human with the literal attention-span of a literal goldfish would actually have a very short memory. A goldfish is only proven to keep memories for 5 months according to your link. A human can store memories for 90+ years: a 200-times longer memory. Hence, "memory like a goldfish" still works as an insult, even if we adjust our nerd-glasses and do a "well, actually ..."
Good point. I just don’t like the propagation or myths when we know the facts of a situation

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36436 on: April 25, 2020, 10:05:02 am »

5 months is still better than the memory of the news cycle.

Can anyone tell me what happened back in November?

I honestly had to look it up.

We were in the middle of the Democratic primary. Beto O'Rourke ducks out. Bloomberg joins the race. And Joe Biden was polling at 17%.
We were also in the middle of the Trump Impeachment inquiry and Fiona Hill gave her testimony.
The Hong Kong protests were in full swing with people and police openly fighting and some dying.
Epstein died in prison. (Granted, this turned into a meme. But I couldn't have told you WHEN it happened.)

I'd love it if I could keep 5 months worth of current events in ready access in my mind.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36437 on: April 25, 2020, 11:34:49 am »

It's kind of an interesting thought. Think of how we often assume we are smarter than ancient people.

Then think of how ancient people had memory to learn their entire life's history along with that of at least that of their parents and grandparents and probably more retold life stories.

And then compare it to us who can't even remember what we did last week.

If they saw us, don't you think they would think we are complete morons?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #36438 on: April 25, 2020, 12:48:40 pm »

Yeah, then they started writing it, and it all went downhill from there.

God damn ancestors, ruining my memory!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36439 on: April 25, 2020, 01:35:49 pm »

Yeah, then they started writing it, and it all went downhill from there.

God damn ancestors, ruining my memory!

I mean, that's literally what Socrates argued, so you're in good company. Just, uh, if you find a chalice in a court, don't drink from it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36440 on: April 25, 2020, 02:00:04 pm »

God, I and I who loathe Socrates from the depth of my heart
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36441 on: April 25, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »

The generous explanation I've heard from his supporters is he is just spitballing ideas.

Trump's statement today in response to these questions, is that yesterday he was in fact being sarcastic when he suggested injecting disinfectant and heat lamps to cure COVID.

God, I and I who loathe Socrates from the depth of my heart

If it helps, there's a good chance Socrates was made up by Plato, because Plato was mildly self-aware of his shitty ideas.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36442 on: April 25, 2020, 03:15:42 pm »

If it helps, there's a good chance Socrates was made up by Plato, because Plato was mildly self-aware of his shitty ideas.

Well, a real person as downright annoying as Socrates probably would have lasted about a week before complaining how he's only been given many examples of vicious beatings rather than an explanation of the nature of vicious beatings in general, so I can see how him being hypothetical would make sense.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36443 on: April 25, 2020, 04:43:25 pm »

Huh, apparently Trump was all for Governor Kemp easing restrictions in Georgia the other day, and gave Kemp his approval in a meeting. But then after the announcement Trump turned on Kemp.

“I told the governor of Georgia Brian Kemp that I disagree strongly with his decision to open certain facilities,” Trump said on Wednesday, just a day after telling reporters that he trusted Kemp’s judgment.

“He knows what’s he’s doing.”

On Thursday, his criticism became even more harsh, with the president saying: “I wasn’t happy with Brian Kemp, I wasn’t at all happy”.

Well the only thing that makes sense is that he's saying every possible contradictory statement so that later during the election they can claim he supported it, with edited videos, no matter which outcome becomes popular.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36444 on: April 25, 2020, 07:31:46 pm »

Huh, apparently Trump was all for Governor Kemp easing restrictions in Georgia the other day, and gave Kemp his approval in a meeting. But then after the announcement Trump turned on Kemp.

“I told the governor of Georgia Brian Kemp that I disagree strongly with his decision to open certain facilities,” Trump said on Wednesday, just a day after telling reporters that he trusted Kemp’s judgment.

On Thursday, his criticism became even more harsh, with the president saying: “I wasn’t happy with Brian Kemp, I wasn’t at all happy”.

Well the only thing that makes sense is that he's saying every possible contradictory statement so that later during the election they can claim he supported it, with edited videos, no matter which outcome becomes popular.

I really don't think he's capable of thinking that far ahead. Not saying they won't do that. Just that if they do that, it'll just be because they happened to have those clips available. Not because they planned it out that way.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36445 on: April 25, 2020, 08:08:48 pm »

I really don't think he's capable of thinking that far ahead. Not saying they won't do that. Just that if they do that, it'll just be because they happened to have those clips available. Not because they planned it out that way.

Trump is an idiot, but that type of behavior is the one thing in the world that I think he's good at.  And if you've ever had experience with an abusive person or narcissist, you know that it's not really about some grand strategy that involves thinking really far ahead.  It's more of an evolved instinct.  He probably isn't even consciously aware of the meaning of what he's doing.  But even if it's not consciously intended, it's still a behavior that's learned for the purpose of laying the groundwork for being able to conveniently pick from an array of shifting narratives in the future.  It's not even anything complicated.  It's a really simple formula.  It just appears like intelligent grand strategy thinking to people when you try to describe what it is, because it's not how most people think and short-circuits the things they take for granted about social fabric.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:13:30 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36446 on: April 25, 2020, 08:59:45 pm »

To answer the question "are his supporters dumb enough to x" you literally answered it with the "his supporters" bit, yes, at this point they are literally that stupid, that unfathomably ignorant, that gleefully hatefully averse to facts, and that eager to watch it all burn to "own the libs" while being literally too dumb to see that those flames are licking a bit close to their lily white snowflake toes.
Goldfish have much longer memories than the “3 seconds of memory” myth
Who/what is Mammon?
Hail the Dragon, Venerate the Count! Ia! Ia!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36447 on: April 25, 2020, 10:43:34 pm »

Indeed, there's nothing complicated about Trump at all. His mindset is that of the average midwestern boomer, and is in no way particularly special. I've known a dozen Trumps in my life, even people who are worse on average than him.

In a way, he's the most average President this country has ever had, which is why we're doomed as a society.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36448 on: April 25, 2020, 11:14:44 pm »

It just shows that a representative democracy ends up with leaders that best represent the electorate. That this means that many of us are ignorant, self-centered, tantrum-prone, tribalistic, mostly hairless apes is a shame - but what ya gonna do?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36449 on: April 25, 2020, 11:16:32 pm »

I know it was like 10 years ago, but I don't remember Obama's belated endorsement of Biden being discussed here.

I just watched it, and it's... eughh...

For what seems to be a very focused attempt at reconciling Sanders supporters to Biden, it seems to have widely missed the mark due to him underestimating the division while overestimating his personal credibility with that group. My immediate feeling while it's fresh is that I don't miss life pre-2016 as much as I probably ought to.
Pages: 1 ... 2428 2429 [2430] 2431 2432 ... 3566