Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226892 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25215 on: November 06, 2018, 09:47:32 am »

My wife and I are leaving to vote momentarily.
I initially processed that as "voting to leave momentarily".
I read it as a statement of the extreme temporal transience of any vote so cast, perhaps not even surviving in the ballot-box/database long enough to be counted.
I figure in Georgia and Kansas, it's sort of an electoral Heisenberg: All ballots are Republican until directly observed, which consumes energy. Therefore, to save energy, we're not going to look at the actual ballots and we'll just assume they're all Republican. Now just you run along now, and don't worry your pretty little heads any...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25216 on: November 06, 2018, 10:08:41 am »

My wife and I are leaving to vote momentarily.
I initially processed that as "voting to leave momentarily".
Brexit fever has spread so far that even the US wants to secede from the EU? Incredible.

I actually know a guy who ended up in the ballot for mayor's office by accident. He has no idea how it happened, only that he woke up the day after getting blackout drunk and kept getting congratulated by random people... Eventually he found out that he was apparently registered as his township's Left party mayoral candidate.

Ended up with about 13% of the vote, if I recall. Still the best drunk story I've heard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25217 on: November 06, 2018, 10:47:55 am »

I still like the Norwegian black metal guy who let the local election put his name on their candidate list and then accidentally wound up getting elected to the town council. And was like "Fuck, I don't want to have to politician now!"

"My campaign was a picture of me holding my cat saying, 'Please don’t vote for me.' But people just went nuts," Fenriz said.

There's also a small town in Minnesota that had a dog as mayor. He was re-elected three times, before retiring this year.

These are the elected officials we need more of: Awkward. Somewhat unwilling. Definitely not in it for the money and fame. Sometimes floofy.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25218 on: November 06, 2018, 10:53:05 am »

Someomw whose bark is worse than their bite
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25219 on: November 06, 2018, 11:07:08 am »

Downside: Definite uptick in anti-squirrel legislation.

I'm also slightly saddened that Idaho is losing a (term-limited) governor named Butch Otter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25220 on: November 06, 2018, 11:27:14 am »

I'm tired. Busy election. Even in the rain, turnout is up.

Someone comes up to me after voting. Gives me a thumbs up. "You guys are doing a horrible job." Another thumbs up. Leaves. What am I supposed to do with this?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25221 on: November 06, 2018, 11:28:41 am »

Someone comes up to me after voting. Gives me a thumbs up. "You guys are doing a horrible job." Another thumbs up. Leaves. What am I supposed to do with this?
Yes we can!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25222 on: November 06, 2018, 11:33:18 am »

Say "Thank you!"
Flip him/her off.
Say "We appreciate your valuable feedback"?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25223 on: November 06, 2018, 11:36:15 am »

Oh no.  The proper sardonic retort is:

"You get what you pay for!"

:D

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25224 on: November 06, 2018, 12:44:43 pm »

Do we have an IRC room for this?

Last time it was #bay12asylum on, I want to say rizon, but I don't see anything bay12 there now.  Or on darkmyst, which supposedly had bay12lb fairly recently.  #bay12lb just wasn't showing up in the search for some reason, but it is on darkmyst.  I guess - pretty bare, I guess most people went to Discord.

Edit:  Yeah I'm just on the Discord now, that's probably the easiest way.  I'd been meaning to do so anyway.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:15:55 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25225 on: November 06, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »

There was literally no line at my voter place.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25226 on: November 06, 2018, 01:18:10 pm »

Hopefully because so many early voted, I don't know what state you're in...
There's a polling location a quarter mile from me now, I'm about to drive past it.  It was pretty busy for the primary actually, I bet it's packed!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25227 on: November 06, 2018, 01:25:02 pm »

Flip him/her off.
Much as I'd like to, I think it'd get the people I work with in trouble, and they don't deserve that. It'd get them in trouble because they'd all completely understand why I did it and defend me. As it is, a fellow employee came up to me wondering what that was all about and laughed with me about it. People are cray-cray.

Another great moment: a senior comes up to me while I'm directing the line for the privacy booths, and asks me where to go. I direct them to the line. They ask if they really have to stand in that line, and say something like "Even though I'm a senior?" I say to her "Well, there are seniors in line too." In truth, I was understating it. A fellow employee joked to me that the average age in the room is 97. That's obviously untrue... but there are lot of old people. Now, admittedly, my district is already full of older people. And we've had plenty of younger voters. But still. Lots of them.
"You get what you pay for!"
Now this is appropriate. People complain at us because we don't have any pens (they've stolen them all! Taken them right out of the privacy booths. >:( ), because of the line, because machines break down... I say, "What are we supposed to do? We're working at capacity. And no one else wants to work all day for as little as you pay us." Apparently there was some article about how we don't get paid enough... have to look for that.

Hell, at no point since 6:00 AM have we not been operating at full capacity. The line outside has not gone away. Ever. Only recently has it stopped stretching past the 100 ft "no electioneering" sign.

There was literally no line at my voter place.
Don't you live in a hurricane or something? Maybe that's why.

Do we have an IRC room for this?

Last time it was #bay12asylum on, I want to say rizon, but I don't see anything bay12 there now.  Or on darkmyst, which supposedly had bay12lb fairly recently.  #bay12lb just wasn't showing up in the search for some reason, but it is on darkmyst.  I guess - pretty bare, I guess most people went to Discord.

Edit:  Yeah I'm just on the Discord now, that's probably the easiest way.  I'd been meaning to do so anyway.
Erm, what discord?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:30:22 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25228 on: November 06, 2018, 01:26:22 pm »

I'm in VA, and there is mild rain today. I voted at Noon, hopefully everyone voted before that time? I should have asked if they were busy earlier.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25229 on: November 06, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »

I'm still trying to decide who to write in for most of the positions on my ballot, because I literally do not want anyone who is listed.

Is it wrong to just want to vote on the ballot proposals and just give a "vote of no confidence" for every other position?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 ... 3566