Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4180760 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's also possible that the USA is going to get a 1-term presidency this time. The run since 1992 (three two term presidents in a row) hasn't happened since the cadidates were literally the heros of the American Revolution.

Also note the period from 1960-1980. Basically there were no proper two-term presidents in that time period at all, for the various reasons. People have been lulled by the unprecedented era of relative White House stability from  1992-2016, but that's unlikely to continue indefinitely. With the increasing polarization and social media making swings super-fast it's quite possible to imagine an unstable period coming up that covers the next 20 years or so.

It's possible, yes, but the Democrats are going to have to figure out how to get back on their feet quickly. Lets just hope that they don't make the same mistakes in 2020 as they did in 2016.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

It's also possible that the USA is going to get a 1-term presidency this time. The run since 1992 (three two term presidents in a row) hasn't happened since the cadidates were literally the heros of the American Revolution.

Also note the period from 1960-1980. Basically there were no proper two-term presidents in that time period at all, for the various reasons. People have been lulled by the unprecedented era of relative White House stability from  1992-2016, but that's unlikely to continue indefinitely. With the increasing polarization and social media making swings super-fast it's quite possible to imagine an unstable period coming up that covers the next 20 years or so.

It's possible, yes, but the Democrats are going to have to figure out how to get back on their feet quickly. Lets just hope that they don't make the same mistakes in 2020 as they did in 2016.
This is the Democrats we're talking about. OF COURSE they're going to make the same mistakes. Hopefully, Milquetoast McBoring still wins out just because enough people will be like "anything other than the shit we've had the last four years".

Their campaign slogan could very well be "You really want another four years of this shit, America?" and sadly, that will likely be their main campaign plank. They're just not structurally ready to field a Bernie Sanders type candidate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm hoping for ever-increasing amounts of celebrity candidates on both sides. Things will get to the point that people are saying you can't see this band because they're Conservative or that band because they're Liberal. Or TV Shows / movies divided into what's allowed to be digested due to your "tribe".

Options seem pretty shit right now, but just remember, options seemed pretty shit in 2005, too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:46:58 am by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

My model still predicts Four More Years. I'll let you know if that changes.

And Reelya, yeah, I'm expecting a pretty good chance of that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's the thing, their political infrastructure and other stuff has degraded to where they're at the lowest point that hasn't been seen in generations, 2020 is literally going to be the Democrats to lose due to the state they are in.

If they rebound next year, great, but it'll take time to regrow that bench. One of the potential candidates at this point is Kamala Harris, but I'd rather that she stay in the Senate. I've got no problem with her as President, just would rather she stay as Senator for full term, perhaps a few more after that too.

Also, MAGA is totally something the Democrats would love to steal, if just because it works, but they have yet to come up with something similar. Maybe some of their successes in 2018 midterms will help guide them, maybe not.

I'm hoping for ever-increasing amounts of celebrity candidates on both sides. Things will get to the point that people are saying you can see this band because they're Conservative or that band because they're Liberal. Or TV Shows / movies divided into what's allowed to be digested due to your "tribe".

Options seem pretty shit right now, but just remember, options seems pretty shit in 2005, too.

We're already seeing an uptick in celebrity candidates, at least those that are talking about it, none have actually declared though. Also, there's apparently not all that many conservative celebs if you look at Hollywood celebs, but yeah, Trump has blasted the door wide open to the possibility of candidates with little or no political experience.

So, really, we're going to be going through a strange time where the world is WTFing at us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ted Nugent announced he's interested to run. And nobody soothes the frayed nerves on both sides like the duclet tones of Ted Nugent.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ted Nugent announced he's interested to run. And nobody soothes the frayed nerves on both sides like the duclet tones of Ted Nugent.

Which office? We'll see how many are actually serious when the 2018 midterm campaigning starts getting underway, and it'll be some time before the 2020 gets underway (Trumps bizarre stuff nonwithstanding). I wonder if Snoop Dogg (or another rapper, I forget the name, but I know it was a rapper) is still interested in running in 2020 as he had said some time ago.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://news.radio.com/2016/08/25/ted-nugent-president/

“If we don’t get it right this time, I’m going to run, and I know how to fix America, it’s so simple it’s stupid. The hundred million Americans looking for work or looking at a list of jobs they’re not willing to do. You can’t do that anymore. If you want to act like a French person, move to France, only productive Americans who earn their own way get to keep the stuff they earn. If you don’t earn it, you don’t get it,” he said.

President Ted of course. With a simple plan, you either work down the salt mines for minimum wage or you don't eat. Or move to France with the other dirty commies.

If Ted was the man then you can bet that wages would slump to the floor, and he'd probably dig a hole through the floor so that wages could fall further (abolish minimum wage).

One of the big lies is that working-class people will save on taxes if they get rid of those welfare payments to other people. Nothing could be further from the truth, right there.

(1) welfare payments don't make up that much of the budget. So you'd only save that % of your taxes anyway.
(2) number (1) makes the outlandish assumption that they share the tax savings equitably with the working class (trololol hahahaha!)
(3) now you have no possible welfare fallback, so the boss knows your bargaining position is worse, even if you'd never take welfare yourself.
(4) all those wefare people are now competing for your job, or indirectly for jobs of those who could compete with you

Basically, getting working class people to support scrapping welfare because they will "save money" is a sucker's game.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:21:44 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile

Or you could work the salt mines AND not be able to afford to eat!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let them eat salt. Except not the salt in the mine. That's company salt and not for the peasants.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not really a concern for me. You see, unlike the 150 million people with the same goals and qualifications as me, I'm just a rich person who isn't rich yet. As long as it helps rich people it doesn't matter because it will hopefully definitely help me because I'm going to be rich, right? And it's everyone else's fault that they won't be rich so we're going to make it harder for them to have anything in the first place, OK? (it's still their fault, of course.) /s
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Fires employees who get injured/sick on the job.*

Not my problem.  Can't afford taking care of people who can't work.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, that means that I don't have to pay for other people being sick anymore!

It's not like I'd every get sick/injured, right?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

I would vote for Snoop Dogg right now. Right meow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

It was actually Kanye West. Which would be like getting Black Left-Leaning Trump. No thanks.

And that quote from The Nooge is hilarious, considering he's been living off the royalties from "Cat Scratch Fever" for about four decades now. Fucking parasite.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 3566