Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244814 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9645 on: July 27, 2017, 03:52:54 pm »

The simple version of it seems to be that the DoD haven't actually been told to change anything, and so they're in a holding pattern. Although it might be interesting that the exact wording of the memo from the Joint Chiefs of staff said: "In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect." Both the office of Mattis and a general I know nothing about by the name of Gen. Mark Milley seconded those words, both the "We will move on this as soon as we receive instructions from the proper channels" and the "We will ensure all service members are treated with respect" (to paraphrase Mattis's spokesperson).

Besides, Trump has a bit of a history of jumping the gun, hence that awful mess after the Travel Ban where it seemed like even people supposed to execute his orders didn't know what they were really supposed to be doing, leading to stuff like trying to bar visa-holders from the country.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: July 27, 2017, 03:54:04 pm »

Not to mention the fact that after Trump tweeted the first tweet of that chain, Pentagon and DoD officials thought that Trump was about to declare war on NK or something. Which is in and of itself, a failure because, well, what if NK decided to react to that. I know the tweet didn't say NK, but that just shows the problems of trying to tweet out policy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: July 27, 2017, 04:02:09 pm »

Now I wonder what the generals would end up saying if Trump actually ordered them to not treat some service members with respect. We do know what his feelings towards POW's are...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: July 27, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »

Now I wonder what the generals would end up saying if Trump actually ordered them to not treat some service members with respect. We do know what his feelings towards POW's are...

Depends how much honor they have. The proper thing would be to fall on their swords and resign.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9649 on: July 27, 2017, 05:00:40 pm »

Not to mention the fact that after Trump tweeted the first tweet of that chain, Pentagon and DoD officials thought that Trump was about to declare war on NK or something. Which is in and of itself, a failure because, well, what if NK decided to react to that. I know the tweet didn't say NK, but that just shows the problems of trying to tweet out policy.
git fukin hype

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: July 27, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »

The real question is, what do people who are vocal about supporting our troops think about this whole incident?  That's a pretty damn large group so I imagine opinions vary...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: July 27, 2017, 05:08:32 pm »

Okay, regardless of my feelings on the rest of this, I want to sit down with a moment and make one point.

Not everything should be managed like a company.

I'll fully agree with this sentiment and thought after I posted it maybe that wasn't the best example. But it is an example in one respect.

The primary purpose of a college or university is to educate. There are secondary purposes of course, and the students are of course (EDIT:At their age, I mean. Just in general, nothing about this specific time period. College and University is the first time in their lives the students come into an environment with a significant base of knowledge. Ideally, anyway.) rising up to a point where there can be effective discourse between the students and the instructors about certain subjects in certain environments with the proper respect. But the primary purpose is to educate. The main way of doing this is that you stock a bunch of people in a room who don't know as much about a subject with one or a few people who do know about a subject and you let them interact. Sometimes it's straight up one way knowledge transfer. Sometimes the instructor tries to take a soft hand and allows the students to do their own research, and throw their own knowledge back and forth between each other and just fills in the gaps where the students make a mistake or miss something.

There are probably other methods, more or less rare. But almost universally (and in my opinion universally in any effective system used) is that you have an organization where the more experienced and more knowledgeable teach the less experienced and the less knowledgeable. This organization grants some amount of respect and authority to the instructors.

Now don't mistake me for advocating for the old style "slap your hand with a ruler do not question me respect mah authoritah" style of teaching. But when you've got the students yelling down the instructors. When the administration cowers under the voice of the students. When students are attempting to get instructors fired because they don't agree with something they've done or said. (Which is fine, disagree, question, argue if you must.) There is something wrong with that system. No effective education is happening there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Trump Tweets.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:14:49 pm by sluissa »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9652 on: July 27, 2017, 06:13:20 pm »

How many is several

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: July 27, 2017, 06:30:35 pm »

Along with many members of Congress (Senate mostly), even those that are generally supportive of Trump. And yeah, many conservative outlets were basically going "Hey come on now, stop doing that, that isn't nice and it's counterproductive", in varying tones.

Just goes to show that Trump demands unconditional loyalty while giving none.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:39:38 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: July 27, 2017, 06:36:51 pm »

I don't know if I would say not going over well with the base (I genuinely do not know what goes on with them), but high-level people seem pretty concerned. Steve Bannon is against it, as are most Republicans in the Senate (Trump's issue there is anyone who would be a friend of Trump's has been a friend of Sessions for longer).

It is worth strongly noting that when Breitbart goes to bat for (or against) someone, they go to it with exactly the level of nuance of a herd of rhinos (presumably trampling RINOs). Which is to say, a hell of a lot less nuance than "endanger the administration and split the Trump coalition". So while Sessions is getting defense, its not like its breaking down the Trump support, more akin to smjjames's "hey, please stop."

Sessions, a supporter of Trump to the end, is using the same tact himself, calling the attacks "hurtful."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: July 27, 2017, 06:40:35 pm »

Meanwhile, the whole Healthcare voting in Congress has turned into what basically amounts to a game of chicken between the two chambers. Basically, the Senate is like "I'll vote on it, but please promise it won't pass" (I'm sure you see the paradox here) and the House is variously "no, we won't vote yes" or "Just freaking give it to us so that we can get SOMETHING passed".

Not to mention that the current iteration was crafted over lunchtime today, so, expect a whole lot of unintended consequences out of this whole thing if it ever passes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9656 on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:53 pm »

Many of these complaints were full-fledged articles in the publications that they write for, such as Matthew Boyle, whose article was published by Breitbart. The article in question is bylined Jeff Sessions: A Man who Embodies the Movement that Elected Donald Trump President." A choice quote: "Losing Sessions could endanger the administration and split the critical coalition that helped Trump to the presidency. Doing that is something Trump supporters nationwide do not want to see..."

So, several.
Is this different from normal drift from muh e-celebs and so on
Not asking rhetorically, genuinely interested

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: July 27, 2017, 06:48:12 pm »

Three days ago we were on the verge of Trumpcare Mk. III's death, now I don't know what version we're on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: July 27, 2017, 06:51:54 pm »

Many of these complaints were full-fledged articles in the publications that they write for, such as Matthew Boyle, whose article was published by Breitbart. The article in question is bylined Jeff Sessions: A Man who Embodies the Movement that Elected Donald Trump President." A choice quote: "Losing Sessions could endanger the administration and split the critical coalition that helped Trump to the presidency. Doing that is something Trump supporters nationwide do not want to see..."

So, several.

I don't know because Presidents don't normally publicly rip their Cabinet members a new one. Maybe it's done differently in the UK.

Three days ago we were on the verge of Trumpcare Mk. III's death, now I don't know what version we're on.

The 'skinny' one is either MK. VI or VII. I think. Nobody except the drafters have even looked at the bill I don't think.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: July 27, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »

So, several.

I think brietbart are the ones who've been furiously fellating him for a year and a half so I assume it's the context rather than the content.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 3569