Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244828 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9675 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:01 pm »

Some mention of wozzname referencing the conversation, at least... like, I don't exactly doubt it, but at the same time there's that underlaying feeling of distrust when your sole source is an after-the-fact accounting by someone other than the primary actor.

Know what I'm sayin'? If you're going to reference a phone call to me, it's nicest when you have an actual recording of the phone call to offer. Or somethin' of similar weight, anyway.

You mean the reporter having the phone call up as a download? The reporter did record it, but I don't think it's standard practice for reporters/journalists to put up the recording in their article.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:28 pm »

I gotta say, Scaramucci is making a strong showing in filling the Spicer shoes.

I wonder if they can get Melissa McCarthy to look like him...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: July 27, 2017, 08:26:46 pm »

That'd be basically the ideal, yeah, smj. Uncut recording and whatnot. It's great to say you have a recording, but to a hypothetically extreme case of similar gist, I'd also like to state for the record I have George Washington's actual gold plated left testicle tied to my cat's tail. Right outside the door, swear on yer mum's whorehouse.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:29:00 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: July 27, 2017, 08:27:06 pm »

... I guess someone decided that with spicer dip'd out, the public needed to be thrown a new bone.

Mostly just curious how confirmed that thing is, though. Are there actual recordings floating around? Because that'd be a hell of a thing.

How confirmed what is? It's right there in the New Yorker article.

The recording? Because I looked and didn't immediately see any video or audio. And New Yorker or not, I need something more than he said she said these days. Especially with regards to... you know what... fine. i'll believe it. Any other administration... any other I'd say you were crazy... but for Trump... for Trump, it was Tuesday.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:59 pm »

Thursday, actually, but whatever. And yeah, it's not that I don't think it's legit or somethin'. Just that I'd more not not think it's legit if there was something more solid. I think that's the right double negative construction anyway. Too out of it to really be sure, or care enough to try to be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: July 27, 2017, 09:19:42 pm »

We don't have recordings, it seems. We do have Scaramucci calling into CNN this morning and talking about (and apparently, to) his interview with Ryan Lizza, the writer of that article.

It's, um, a strange video. And apparently trending on Youtube.

EDIT: Apparently its confirmed that he recorded it. Also Scaramucci says in his two most recent tweets:
Quote from: @Scaramucci
I sometimes use colorful language. I will refrain in this arena but not give up the passionate fight for @realDonaldTrump's agenda.  #MAGA
Quote from: @Scaramucci
I made a mistake in trusting in a reporter. It won't happen again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:46:42 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #9681 on: July 27, 2017, 10:08:43 pm »

(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: July 27, 2017, 10:13:29 pm »

So, there is a text of the bill, and from the 538 liveblog is a summary below the linked post. Also, they're going to vote on it sometime tonight or in the early morning hours.

As far as the vote goes, the fact that they don't want the bill to become law and yet want to vote yes is just mindboggling. I mean, the common sense thing would be to just vote no, and yet they're trying to fake themselves out by thinking that the House won't pass the bill, which is a maybe, but not a 100% guarantee.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: July 27, 2017, 10:49:49 pm »

I'm actually very concerned now that they are just going to do this under the delusion that they can vote for a bill they don't support and not be blamed for the result. This is some serious Jedi mind-tricks they're pulling.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: July 27, 2017, 10:56:30 pm »

I'm actually very concerned now that they are just going to do this under the delusion that they can vote for a bill they don't support and not be blamed for the result. This is some serious Jedi mind-tricks they're pulling.

Yeah, jedi mind-tricks on themselves. Reverse psychology only works if the other side falls for your bluff, but it looks like the House might go and vote on it anyway, there doesn't seem to be a 100% guarantee that they'll go to conference first to reconcile differences between the Senate and House versions. Also, Pence arrived at the Hill in case he's needed for the tiebreaker, so, yeah, they're definetly having the vote tonight at some point.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: July 28, 2017, 12:20:42 am »

They're just sitting on the vote, have been for more than 50 minutes now. It's 1 AM in DC land, and they are still on the floor. 538's guess is that that means that the leadership knows they aren't at 50 and are trying to cajole recalcitrant senators into it before they send it up. Twitter is going mad trying to calculate the meaning of McCain's body language, and the betting markets fluctuated from 60-70% or so down to 45%. I don't think anyone knows how this will go down.

EDIT: It seems like McCain is going to vote no? Someone for NY Times claiming two people with knowledge of McCain's thinking says he's a no.
EDIT2: C-SPAN doesn't know what's going on either. Pence is trying to work McCain.
EDIT3: Vote is finally starting?
EDIT4: McCain votes no. Murkowski votes no. The "Ayes" sound very soft, the "No"s are loud.
FINAL-EDIT: Well unless this is a MASTERPLAN that I am unable to understand, this looks like a nasty defeat for Republican Congress, and for Mr. Trump, courtesy of a Mr. John McCain. Whoda thunk it.

Actual final edit: It's over. Officially. Skinny Repeal dies by exactly one vote. McConnell takes the floor, is basically saying "Hey, we worked hard, and we tried." Now amendment lightning round begins, where people throw amendments at the wall.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:42:28 am by misko27 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: July 28, 2017, 12:38:37 am »

Trumpcare Mk.....VIII?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: July 28, 2017, 12:43:08 am »

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Weird, this was my first thought also when I was reading Sacramucci's blah. I just got done with a business trip where the guy I was dealing with talked more or less the same way. Lots of bro-y foul-mouthedness and big dick swinging.

I am floored that McCain actually voted no.

I wonder if Trump or his hateful sock puppet will start ragging on McCain and his brain tumor over this. The Donald tends to turn on people who cross him rather quickly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: July 28, 2017, 12:48:10 am »

I imagine attacking the dude with just-diagnosed brain cancer will go over worse than his attacks on Sessions.

Didn't even come close to stopping him from laying in to Sessions, who had a legal responsibility to cross him. Remember if conventional wisdom says something is a bad idea, Generalisimo Donalde' is all about it. Most wouldn't think there'd be a benefit to attacking a senator who is on their way out....but in Donald's world it'd be tactically savvy to undermine the credibility of McCain's vote by saying his brain cancer reduces his ability to make informed decisions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: July 28, 2017, 12:53:13 am »

Bwhaha, the video of McCain had him sticking his hand out at the speaker after they called his name. He holds his hand there for five seconds, then gives a thumbs down, and walks away while someone smothers the brief applause from the Democratic side of the chamber. I need to find an offsite copy of that video. On a related note:

EDIT: On a different note, I'm very, very happy I felt the need to hold off on McCain when people were shit-talking him. Plenty of people look pretty silly now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:55:50 am by misko27 »
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 3569