Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244818 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9660 on: July 27, 2017, 07:00:44 pm »

I think brietbart are the ones who've been furiously fellating him for a year and a half so I assume it's the context rather than the content.
Yeah and breitbort have been hemorrhaging people in a continual internal lobotomy that rather mirrors the same internecine struggles in the GOP from the past year so I'm unsure if this is breaking bisnis from usual
I wanna know if this is just Nero being a madman again or if Rome is finally burning basically

I don't know because Presidents don't normally publicly rip their Cabinet members a new one. Maybe it's done differently in the UK.
Sometimes we spice it up and the cabinet rips the PM a new one

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: July 27, 2017, 07:04:28 pm »

If there is a flip to all this Trump hate it is that...

It is sad he deserves a LOT of the criticism he receives because goodness has he become the scapegoat.

To the point where even being associated with him in the slightest most tangential way is considered a slight against your character.

Politics suck.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9662 on: July 27, 2017, 07:06:35 pm »

Trump firing Sessions would be Rome burning. This is just Trump taunting that he's going to torch Rome, holding a lit torch and a tank of gasoline.
* Loud Whispers plays fiddle out of tune

Politics suck.
If only things could be made better, if only.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: July 27, 2017, 07:08:28 pm »

Politics suck.

I dunno... aren't moderates considered the demon children of politics?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:11:45 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: July 27, 2017, 07:15:00 pm »

The Republicans would tell us how very concerned they are with Donald Trump's irresponsible actions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: July 27, 2017, 07:17:04 pm »

Trump can't really fire Mueller directly (otherwise he would have done so already), so he has to get someone else to do it. He could fire Sessions and then have Rosenstein do it, but he'd have to go down the succession line until he gets to someone willing to fire Mueller.

It'd be a re-enactment of the Saturday Night Massacre.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: July 27, 2017, 07:18:57 pm »

Politics suck.

Nah, demon children bring to mind The Exorcist or The Omen; you actually fear them.  Moderates in politics seem to be more akin to red-headed stepchildren. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: July 27, 2017, 07:25:24 pm »

Politics suck.

Only because ribald partisanship wins elections.

That is a fault squarely in the voter's box of sins; stop supporting lizards, and lizards can't get elected. It does not matter what letter is next to the name, if they are a lizard, don't vote for them. In fact, forget the damn letter after the name entirely. It is just used to distract you.

Also, listening to campaign promises is like falling for the "I love you baby!" From the star quarterback as he screws you in the back of his daddy's car. It's bullshit. He just wants to get into your pants. But just like teen girls, and the cliche refrain, "you said you loved me!", we have no shortage of folks with election remorse, after getting screwed by the people they vote for.

Protip: all the other girls the football jock banged and dumped are a warning. Likewise with politicians; research their records in state govt, and see if you really want them dictating federal policy.

Oh, but none of that advice paints an easy bogeyman for the 5 minutes hate. Whatever was I thinking! /s

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: July 27, 2017, 07:29:54 pm »

The 'skinny' one is either MK. VI or VII. I think. Nobody except the drafters have even looked at the bill I don't think.
More or less. Supposedly it kills the ACA's individual (and maybe employer?) mandate and little to nothing else.

For what it's worth (farcically little), if that is all it does, it's actually feasible it could have been written over a lunch break, and it's fairly likely there wouldn't be any unintended consequences involved because of it.* Effectively crossing out a section or five in another bill doesn't take much in the way of time or effort.

Probably could have done it in like ten minutes, taking up less than a page or so of text, basically. Truly indicative of the weight of seven or eight years of effort.

*Just intended ones, which is to say our healthcare system gets fucked back into the eighties/nineties and we all get fucked with it, either immediately or in a few decades when your young idiot ass that thought you could get by without insurance is faced with buying into the market :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: July 27, 2017, 07:52:55 pm »

From what I gather, the skinny repeal option will mostly just have the effect of causing the healthcare system to collapse. The mandate specifically exists to keep net-contributors from all leaving and causing premiums to become unaffordable for everybody else. It's a great plan if your goal is a eugenics program to cull the sick and elderly, but not great for much else other than that. From what I read, the test case on this was Washington state, which had a similar mandate at one point for similar reasons; then Republicans took over, got rid of the mandate, the system went into a death spiral, and the state was left without any insurance providers within a few years.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/washington-state-provides-case-study-on-effects-of-heath-care-reform/2012/06/16/gJQAgYl7hV_story.html

In related news, Republicans. https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/890689514657722369
Seriously, this is weapons grade bonkers. 3 Senators just announced they will vote for repeal only if assured it will never become law.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:27 pm »

(If you're under 18, avert your eyes)

I am going to compete with alway here for the title of "Bringer of the weirdest news" with the following article, with what can charitably be described as an 'interview' with the new White House Communications Director, Scaramucci.
Anthony Scaramucci Called Me to Unload About White House Leakers, Reince Priebus, and Steve Bannon
Quote from: From the article
“They’ll all be fired by me,” he said. “I fired one guy the other day. I have three to four people I’ll fire tomorrow. I’ll get to the person who leaked that to you. Reince Priebus—if you want to leak something—he’ll be asked to resign very shortly.” The issue, he said, was that he believed Priebus had been worried about the dinner because he hadn’t been invited. “Reince is a fucking paranoid schizophrenic, a paranoiac,” Scaramucci said. He channelled Priebus as he spoke: “ ‘Oh, Bill Shine is coming in. Let me leak the fucking thing and see if I can cock-block these people the way I cock-blocked Scaramucci for six months.’ ” (Priebus did not respond to a request for comment.)
Quote from: Also from the article
Scaramucci also told me that, unlike other senior officials, he had no interest in media attention. “I’m not Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock,” he said, speaking of Trump’s chief strategist. “I’m not trying to build my own brand off the fucking strength of the President. I’m here to serve the country.” (Bannon declined to comment.)

There's more in the article.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:04 pm »

(If you're under 18, avert your eyes)

I am going to compete with alway here for the title of "Bringer of the weirdest news" with the following article, with what can charitably be described as an 'interview' with the new White House Communications Director, Scaramucci.
Anthony Scaramucci Called Me to Unload About White House Leakers, Reince Priebus, and Steve Bannon
Quote from: From the article
“They’ll all be fired by me,” he said. “I fired one guy the other day. I have three to four people I’ll fire tomorrow. I’ll get to the person who leaked that to you. Reince Priebus—if you want to leak something—he’ll be asked to resign very shortly.” The issue, he said, was that he believed Priebus had been worried about the dinner because he hadn’t been invited. “Reince is a fucking paranoid schizophrenic, a paranoiac,” Scaramucci said. He channelled Priebus as he spoke: “ ‘Oh, Bill Shine is coming in. Let me leak the fucking thing and see if I can cock-block these people the way I cock-blocked Scaramucci for six months.’ ” (Priebus did not respond to a request for comment.)
Quote from: Also from the article
Scaramucci also told me that, unlike other senior officials, he had no interest in media attention. “I’m not Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock,” he said, speaking of Trump’s chief strategist. “I’m not trying to build my own brand off the fucking strength of the President. I’m here to serve the country.” (Bannon declined to comment.)

There's more in the article.

Part of me wants to believe his rudeness is a strategy to get the administration to keep him out of the spotlight like he says he wants.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:20 pm »

... I guess someone decided that with spicer dip'd out, the public needed to be thrown a new bone.

Mostly just curious how confirmed that thing is, though. Are there actual recordings floating around? Because that'd be a hell of a thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: July 27, 2017, 08:16:29 pm »

... I guess someone decided that with spicer dip'd out, the public needed to be thrown a new bone.

Mostly just curious how confirmed that thing is, though. Are there actual recordings floating around? Because that'd be a hell of a thing.

How confirmed what is? It's right there in the New Yorker article.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: July 27, 2017, 08:22:20 pm »

Some mention of wozzname referencing the conversation, at least... like, I don't exactly doubt it, but at the same time there's that underlaying feeling of distrust when your sole source is an after-the-fact accounting by someone other than the primary actor.

Know what I'm sayin'? If you're going to reference a phone call to me, it's nicest when you have an actual recording of the phone call to offer. Or somethin' of similar weight, anyway. Scarburly* saying on record it's accurate or suchlike.

* I'll say it now, I'm going to be largely intentionally misspelling the guy's name if I speak of 'im in the future. Mostly because that's a lot easier than actually remembering what it is.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:25:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 3569