Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4153230 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6300 on: May 14, 2017, 12:26:45 pm »

It starts with a nudge, then it's a wink, then it becomes say no more say no more know what I mean?
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: May 14, 2017, 12:59:59 pm »

It's good to know he didn't test his non-FDA approved supplements that aren't intended to solve any medical condition on animals. but .. why do you have to hold the stuff in your mouth for 15 seconds? It sounds like they just threw that in to make it sound more "mediciny".
Point of Order: most supplements are not approved by the FDA. Legally someone can stuff their containers with placebos if they want, as long as they don't claim they put something in it that they didn't put in (or vice verse); so they can't stuff goat hair in the pills unless they admit to it, but they can sure as hell claim that goat hair will make your erection last longer.

Supplements are not to be trusted. Alex Jones vitamins even less so (instead of the Flintstones, Jews and the Illuminati?)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: May 14, 2017, 01:19:24 pm »

Even the need for supplements is dramatically overstated. Your food is already reinforced with what you need (and much of what you don't). I've said this repeatedly.

If you were deficient in vitamin B12, you would know it because you would be dying horrifically.

You wouldn't die, but you would develop Korsakoff's syndrome.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: May 14, 2017, 02:22:29 pm »

B12 deficiency leads to physical weakness and fatigue, as well as mental sluggishness, depression, and memory problems. If you have none whatsoever you're probably starving, which I guess is pretty terrible, but according to the Mayo Clinic's website there are millions of Americans dealing with this even now who aren't even aware of it. Dying horribly it ain't.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:24:02 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: May 14, 2017, 02:53:39 pm »

B12 deficiency in a nutshell:
- Macrocytic anemia  (you might actually be asymptomatic for a looong term... slow-onset anemias are like that
- Pancytopenia (possibly, related to the item above, if the deficit becomes severe enough)
- Glossitis
- Spinal cord damage (irreversible)
- Dementia (sometimes. Related to the item above, if the deficit becomes severe enough)

Leave it for long enough and you can die of this. Unrelated to Korsakoff, which is a different vitamin deficiency, as Ispil pointed out.

All severe cases I've seen (not that many... like 2 or 3) were in the context of pernicious anemia, which is actually an autoimmune disease  that compromises the body's  ability to absorb B12.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:58:06 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: May 14, 2017, 02:58:52 pm »

If you drink alot of alcohol you should take a B vitamin complex supplement. Alcohol inhibits the proper metabolism of vitamin B and you can develop a deficiency.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: May 14, 2017, 03:04:33 pm »

You're mixing apples and oranges. As Ispil and yours truly stated above, B12 and B1 are different things. And anyway, if you're drinking enough to run a vitamin B1 (aka thiamine,) deficit odds are your problem is bigger than what OTC supplements will be able to fix (namely, because your liver is busted), so you should be looking for professional help at that point.

*Mind you, not to say that a chronic alcoholics cannot run a vitamin B12 deficit. They do in fact develop a number of malnutrition issues. I've never seen severe B12 deficiency in this context, however.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:14:01 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: May 14, 2017, 03:17:45 pm »

If you drink alot of alcohol you should take a B vitamin complex supplement. Alcohol inhibits the proper metabolism of vitamin B and you can develop a deficiency.

But... Beer is supposed to be a decent source of B12?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: May 14, 2017, 03:19:57 pm »

Nope. Animal sources only. Eggs, milk,  meat...

BTW: While in normal circumstances you're not supposed to do a marrow tap for this bullshit, I happen to be the proud owner of a set of slides of a B12 deficient marrow (because of... nevermind. Lets leave it at "because of one of the many quirky things that took place during my residency"). What you get it's the so-called "blue marrow", called so because it's teeming with dysplastic red blood cell progenitors (which in Giemsa-Wright show as bright blue cells). Those into this sort of thing regard films of this thing as "very pretty"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:26:04 pm by ChairmanPoo »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: May 14, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »

Nope. Animal sources only. Eggs, milk,  meat...
Not yeast?

Also fortified foods sounds like a civ mod
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: May 14, 2017, 03:58:41 pm »

Yeah, Trump probably has a B12 deficiency. that's definitely it.

Four people are being interviewed tomorrow for the FBI director position

Andrew McCabe: Current acting director and IMO, the most politically neutral option, should he want the job. Appare

Sen. John Cornyn. Would be the first political FBI appointee, ever, when the FBI has been doing everything possible to seem politically neutral.

Alice Fisher. According to the CNN article that lists her, she has worked on (or associated with) the Whitewater investigation. Wiki page says that she has a general career in the justice department and apparently was involved in some way with Guantanamo stuff.

Michael J. Garcia. Arguably THE least politically involved (other than Andrew McCabe) and he has lots of judicial experience, mainly in New York, currently a state judge appointed by the governor. Did a lot of work prosecuting terrorism and some awards related to that, which I suppose Trump might find awesome.

Any news on these shenanigans? i'm pulling for McCabe, if only what for he already knows the ropes.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: May 14, 2017, 04:37:30 pm »

Yeast is a fungus.

Anyways, slow politics day I guess?

Yeah, Trump probably has a B12 deficiency. that's definitely it.

Four people are being interviewed tomorrow for the FBI director position

Andrew McCabe: Current acting director and IMO, the most politically neutral option, should he want the job. Appare

Sen. John Cornyn. Would be the first political FBI appointee, ever, when the FBI has been doing everything possible to seem politically neutral.

Alice Fisher. According to the CNN article that lists her, she has worked on (or associated with) the Whitewater investigation. Wiki page says that she has a general career in the justice department and apparently was involved in some way with Guantanamo stuff.

Michael J. Garcia. Arguably THE least politically involved (other than Andrew McCabe) and he has lots of judicial experience, mainly in New York, currently a state judge appointed by the governor. Did a lot of work prosecuting terrorism and some awards related to that, which I suppose Trump might find awesome.

Any news on these shenanigans? i'm pulling for McCabe, if only what for he already knows the ropes.

Still doing interviews, FBI supporters and others are rooting for Mike Rogers (former FBI agent and former Michigan Rep.) because of his diverse experience and Michael Garcia. And Trump has said that he plans on fast tracking the selection, might announce it before he goes on his overseas trip this Friday.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6312 on: May 14, 2017, 05:15:24 pm »

B12 deficiency leads to physical weakness and fatigue, as well as mental sluggishness, depression, and memory problems. If you have none whatsoever you're probably starving, which I guess is pretty terrible, but according to the Mayo Clinic's website there are millions of Americans dealing with this even now who aren't even aware of it. Dying horribly it ain't.

I've found that B12 deficiency results in tragically low viewing rates of dwarf-fortress related posts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: May 14, 2017, 05:18:38 pm »

Even the need for supplements is dramatically overstated. Your food is already reinforced with what you need (and much of what you don't). I've said this repeatedly.
Counterpoint: this assumes eating a reasonably diverse set of food. Do some actual cooking, eat at restaurants, etc, and you'll probably be fine nutritionally. However, if you are an incredibly cheap and nearly broke person in university who realizes animal crackers are $2 a pound at the grocery store and soda similarly calorie-cost-efficient, as I was at uni, you may actually find yourself in a position where you've had 0% of your daily amount of several substances for an entire month. Similarly, Sam Altman was notoriously enough of a cheapskate that he gave himself scurvy by eating nothing but ramen and coffee flavored ice cream. So there are many diets encouraged by capitalism in which nutritional supplements would in fact be beneficial.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: May 14, 2017, 05:24:53 pm »

Counterpoint: this assumes eating a reasonably diverse set of food. Do some actual cooking, eat at restaurants, etc, and you'll probably be fine nutritionally. However, if you are an incredibly cheap and nearly broke person in university who realizes animal crackers are $2 a pound at the grocery store and soda similarly calorie-cost-efficient, as I was at uni, you may actually find yourself in a position where you've had 0% of your daily amount of several substances for an entire month. Similarly, Sam Altman was notoriously enough of a cheapskate that he gave himself scurvy by eating nothing but ramen and coffee flavored ice cream. So there are many diets encouraged by capitalism in which nutritional supplements would in fact be beneficial.
This health tip brought to you by supplements™ for only 9.99!
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 3563