Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4152415 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6285 on: May 12, 2017, 09:04:16 pm »

I think slippery slope fallacy is, historically not a fallicy at all in many cases.

'Oh the Nazis just want us middle-class entrepreneurs in a certain part of town, zoning laws, ugh, right?? thats fine.'

Some will keep pushing after a victory.

Would you concede to a demand to limit acohol sales in any measure (Only asking 0400-01200 on sundays) if you knew in your locale that the 'Ultra Straight-X Abolistist Party of Christian Brother Knights Militant in Prohibition' was in control of the gov't? You'd agree with some demand fron them knowing their ultimate goal and knowing they are in power but need your vote?

Godwin's law strikes back
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: May 12, 2017, 09:04:22 pm »

I often wonder how often people find themselves thinking philosophically, then stop themselves with a pout, and say "Oh stop that nonsense! Enough of semantics."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: May 12, 2017, 09:17:04 pm »

I often wonder how often people find themselves thinking philosophically, then stop themselves with a pout, and say "Oh stop that nonsense! Enough of semantics."

Lol, 'yeah this guy tried to say the US military effort in Dirtshitistan was killing civilians is an unjustified slaughter , I told him 'Hey, the French and Romanians are bombing civilians in Dirtshitistan, too, you can't blame just the USA! and its not a slaughter, since we use poison gas and  we don't use the meat from the killing l , technically it not a """"slaughter""" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse

you are wrong.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: May 12, 2017, 10:08:10 pm »

What's your favorite Trump bodypart?

The precancerous cells in his prostate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:43 pm »

What's your favorite Trump bodypart?

The brain because it is like the Lochness Monster or Bigfoot. No one knows if it truly exists.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: May 12, 2017, 10:46:16 pm »

I can see your point, though I feel like I should raise the objection that politics and policy aren't like a fumbling teenage boy trying to pressure someone into sex; There's generally a lot of warning before-hand before they try making "just the tip" turn into more, and there's no pressure to say yes to the crazy shit they want to put in if you allow the not-crazy shit in.

Even still... What slope are we on here? "Oh noooo, first they'll try and... EDUCATE our KIDS! Next they'll..." Like, I can't even make a joke here, I legitimately can't think of a downhill next step here.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: May 12, 2017, 10:54:19 pm »

I think slippery slope fallacy is, historically not a fallicy at all in many cases.

Logical Fallacies are named due to certain lines of thinking.

The Slippery Slope TYPICALLY is a Fallacy because it is based on nothing. "We shouldn't do this, because this unrelated thing will happen".

Not doing something because something bad will happen later on isn't a logical fallacy. Yet a typical Slippery Slope is something like "If we let homosexuals marry, what next? Will we let people marry animals?" even though there is nothing to suggest those are related beyond being about marriage.

If someone can prove the slope, then it isn't a logical fallacy.

So if someone makes an appeal to authority in a situation where it makes sound sense, it isn't the "Appeal to Authority" logical fallacy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: May 13, 2017, 03:06:33 am »

Actually the slippery slope / Godwin is completely relevant due to "first they came".

My favorite slippery slope argument however was from Glenn Beck, "nudge leads to shove ... and shove leads to shoot!!!".

The "nudges" here were things on the level posters telling people which foods were healthy to eat, and for instance, they discovered that putting junk food a few inches further away than fruit caused more kids to get the fruit when given the choice. Beck called such thing evil mind control, as it is in fact cystal clear that the "eat healthy" messaging will lead to gas chambers and firing squads if you don't toe the line and eat your three greens a day.

Well fuck ... if your mind is that easily controlled by mere fruit placement ... then fuck choice, you actually need someone looking out for you who isn't a junkfood salesman. This isn't a case where the free market respects your individual choice and isn't using psychology to screw with you, this is just people who give a shit about health working out what the tricks are that the marketing gurus already know about, and using those to combat the junkfood guys.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:15:27 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: May 14, 2017, 12:31:48 am »

Actually the slippery slope / Godwin is completely relevant due to "first they came".

My favorite slippery slope argument however was from Glenn Beck, "nudge leads to shove ... and shove leads to shoot!!!".

The "nudges" here were things on the level posters telling people which foods were healthy to eat, and for instance, they discovered that putting junk food a few inches further away than fruit caused more kids to get the fruit when given the choice. Beck called such thing evil mind control, as it is in fact cystal clear that the "eat healthy" messaging will lead to gas chambers and firing squads if you don't toe the line and eat your three greens a day.

Well fuck ... if your mind is that easily controlled by mere fruit placement ... then fuck choice, you actually need someone looking out for you who isn't a junkfood salesman. This isn't a case where the free market respects your individual choice and isn't using psychology to screw with you, this is just people who give a shit about health working out what the tricks are that the marketing gurus already know about, and using those to combat the junkfood guys.

Has Alex Jones talked about mind controlling bananas yet? I feel like that's an Alex Jones topic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: May 14, 2017, 06:16:44 am »

I just discovered that Alex Jones sells a range of very scary looking multivitamins to combat all the stuff the government is doing to your food.

There's a conspiracy to cause B12 deficiency, so you need to take this to protect your family from the conspiracy:

It's good to know he didn't test his non-FDA approved supplements that aren't intended to solve any medical condition on animals. but .. why do you have to hold the stuff in your mouth for 15 seconds? It sounds like they just threw that in to make it sound more "mediciny".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:19:27 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: May 14, 2017, 06:19:03 am »

Ohh Glenn Beck... you are a well which gold springs forth.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: May 14, 2017, 06:34:34 am »

And here's an original video:
https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2010/10/14/beck-on-healthy-school-lunch-program-first-its/171976
"Beck on healthy school lunch program: "First it's nudge, then it's shove, then it becomes shoot"

He laughs at the behavioral psychology examples, asking what good they'll do, but those ideas are being put out there because they work, that's the entire point of studying behavioral psychology. And you can either fear monger about it or claim it doesn't work. It's a bit weird to fear monger about "mind control" it while simultaneously claiming it won't work.

Some more quotes here, it was actually one of Glen Beck's favorite topics for a while:
https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2010/09/17/right-wing-media-attack-michelle-obama-for-figh/170761
how do you get people to stop eating french fries, because french fries still beat carrots. What's left? Well, now you have to start thinking about punishments -- maybe a fine, maybe even jail. But it always starts with a nudge.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:36:13 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: May 14, 2017, 06:35:33 am »

why do you have to hold the stuff in your mouth for 15 seconds? It sounds like they just threw that in to make it sound more "mediciny".

Well, there's a reason to chew well and keep stuff in your mouth for 15 seconds. That's enzymes. Digestion starts in the mouth. A lot of the digestive enzymes from your mouth stop working in the acidic environment of your stomach. Most notable example would be the enzyme that breaks down starch. Don't swallow your bread / rice / potatoes / whatever starch without chewing for a bit, or you won't digest the starch properly.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: May 14, 2017, 06:42:19 am »

Conversely, chew less, fatties. /kidding

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: May 14, 2017, 11:57:38 am »

Conversely, chew less, fatties. /kidding
Next thing you know, they're going to jail fat people for eating.

It all starts with a nudge.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 3563