Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2586 2587 [2588] 2589 2590 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226685 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38805 on: August 20, 2020, 10:47:52 am »

If a poor person and a rich (or even middle-class, as far as that term goes when talking about the US) person both lose 50% of their respective money the poor person still has it worse, because they have less money in the end. That kind of relative comparisons don't help much when food, housing, healthcare etc. have non-relative prices

I get what you're saying, but I'm saying that's not what happened.

We had this specific discussion in December in this thread and I posted the numbers. You can find those figures by searching for GFC in this thread.

The bottom 50% of the USA, in terms of wealth, gained much more absolute wealth between the pre-crash peak of 2009 to 2019 than they did between 1988 and 2009. Roughly, the figures for the bottom 50% of people were $0.8 trillion of assets for the bottom 50% in 1988, up to $1.2 trillion in 2009. Then, that rose to $2.0 trillion by 2019. That's almost doubled. But ... the important fact is I got the $1.2 trillion figure from the peak before the crash, so the growth from $1.2 trillion to $2.0 trillion accounts for both the crash and recovery. Seriously, it took 20 years for the bottom 50% to amass $0.4 trillion in assets, even without a big crash, yet they amassed an additional $0.8 trillion in half that time, and that's even accounting for losses from the crash.

Meanwhile, the top 1% multiplied their wealth by about 5 in the period from 1988-2009, but it only multiplied that by 1.75 in the next 10 years, which is a slower rate. So yes, the richer got objectively more rich coming out of the crash, however the poor had higher gains in wealth after the crash/recovery than they had going into it, whereas for the rich it was the other way around.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:52:36 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38806 on: August 20, 2020, 10:59:10 am »

Change of subject (if you want it)... Bannon could end up behind walls due to being behind walls?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38807 on: August 20, 2020, 11:03:16 am »

That's some quality schadenfreude right there, on multiple fronts.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38808 on: August 20, 2020, 11:14:41 am »

You have to be fair, personal expenses can really add up. So what if he took a few hundred thousand dollars? That's pocket change.

There were $25 million dollars that he didn't take, to put that in perspective /s

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38809 on: August 20, 2020, 01:04:42 pm »

It's one thing to say that something might cause or correlate with a reduction in inequality, but I definitely wouldn't extend this to a claim about the wealthy having "more to lose" (with whatever political consequence could be gleaned from that, like an imagined greater competence or diligence from them in preventing collapse) or truly suffering more as a result in any human sense.

It can be technically correct that they have relatively more to lose in terms of a metric measured in dollars, but this is disconnected from a more important measure of real quality of life, where it is clear that they do not personally suffer nearly as much as any other social class from the same relative or absolute loss of money. I'm not saying that this is what anyone here was doing, but when I've seen elsewhere claims that they have "more to lose" or are "more negatively impacted" in the context of a broader political question it's usually in the same class of things wealthy-backed propagandists say to justify the existence an ultra-rich class (that they are "burdened" with risks or "the responsibility of leadership" or some other nonsense).

If you do look at it in strictly dollar-for-dollar terms, any reduction in gross income for the poor means a proportionally larger reduction or total elimination of their disposable income, while for the wealthy virtually the entirety of their after-tax income is disposable and can absorb nearly any plausible reduction short of becoming poor themselves. Even equal relative reductions between social classes aren't really equal in gross terms, as the wealthy person is likely paying some higher marginal tax rates, causing their loss of gross income to translates into a even lesser amount of actual dollar income lost.

But beyond the above, there are more important reasons for the loss of "real income" or quality of life for the rich being almost independent of their relative or absolute loss of money. For a truly wealthy person, a 50% reduction in income might mean flying first class on their weekend trips instead of chartering a jet, for instance. They're tapped out on any of the basic things that can improve a person's life, and would only be substituting extreme luxury for lesser luxury, and importantly the actual reduction or gain in happiness from this is nowhere near linear with the money spent or saved compared to the expenses everyone else deals with (which in my opinion is also a justification for equality as an intrinsic good from the perspective of democratic government, given the "demand-side" wastefulness of wealth concentration).

It's not just in personal spending, either. If a wealthy person (a person who can live off interest) does any useful work at all, that activity is itself functioning for them as another leisure activity or in service of their personal ego/greed; compare this with the total lack of financial security among most workers, who are dependent on the wealthy exercising political control over opportunities and the government in an arbitrary fashion that provides enough work (and never does in practice). This isn't even going into the numerous accumulated intangible advantages the rich have even when they do screw up badly enough to "lose everything", such as advantageous personal connections, wealthy family members, far better education opportunities, tax policies and liability limitations that are extremely generous to large losses, accumulated personal property immune from bankruptcy, the wild world of government bailouts, etc.

So while I do think there's a relevent point in there about inequality and the GFC or perhaps the pandemic, in real terms of how life is actually lived I don't think it's reasonable to say that the rich are going to be impacted more or suffer more from declines in the ultimately most important ways (especially given that economic disruption is always likely to spook the rich into withholding investment and suppressing demand, further creating permanent unemployment).

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38810 on: August 20, 2020, 01:29:55 pm »

Change of subject (if you want it)... Bannon could end up behind walls due to being behind walls?

Also, the arresting officers were agents of the postal service.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38811 on: August 20, 2020, 01:48:01 pm »

Also, the arresting officers were agents of the postal service.
So, a defensive fence-post fence was fenced in, deposed post-hoc, by friends of the post who are also not too pensively fussed about Pence?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38812 on: August 20, 2020, 04:14:42 pm »

To that person who chided me on the postal service news, there's building evidence they're right - the damage to infrastructure may have been enough to seriously mess things up.

There's also some evidence that in the days since there have been some further dismantling of sorting machines.

But really, what got me to write this post is that a) it turns out it's legal to ship chicks (i.e. baby chickens) and certain other "harmless live animals" in the post; b) farmers actually make a fair bit of use of that; and c) now thousands of them (the chicks, not the farmers) are dying in the mail.

Link to the story here, though it's Bloomberg Government which most folks probably don't have a subscription for.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:11:03 pm by Dostoevsky »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38813 on: August 20, 2020, 05:47:30 pm »

I've heard pet stores are running out of stocks of feeder bugs (crickets and superworms) as well as fish and aquatic plants.  They receive stock via (time sensitive) mail.

Consider also how all those sorting machines conveniently lived in purple areas.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38814 on: August 20, 2020, 06:08:32 pm »

Rural people rely heavily on the USPS because Fed-ex and UPS can't be bothered to drive out to the middle of nowhere for less than 20 bucks. Even ignoring chicks dying in the mail, if you rely on the USPS for medication deliveries out there...well, rest in peace.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38815 on: August 20, 2020, 06:25:05 pm »

It probably doesn't matter anyway, honestly, since noncompliance is more of a problem for the noncompliant than for anyone else.

up til they clog up the hospital.

Are we still getting "it's their freedom to take away freedom from others" from trolls? And people are still responding to them?

Careful, MS. This virus more heavily affects PoC.

MS is intentionally being racist. Look at their post history.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38816 on: August 20, 2020, 08:15:39 pm »

To that person who chided me on the postal service news, there's building evidence they're right - the damage to infrastructure may have been enough to seriously mess things up.
Yeah, I have to admit, it's becoming more extensive than it originally seemed. I almost wonder if the silly nonsense 'STEALING OUR MAIL TRUCKS' people were an intentional distraction to discredit what would come after.

MS is intentionally being racist. Look at their post history.
Wow, this is hilarious. I'm not even white, you ass.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38817 on: August 20, 2020, 08:36:11 pm »

That's a non-argument.

People can be racist regardless of which colour of skin they have.
I dare even say,  globally, there is more racism by people of colour than there is in the ' white'  world.

That being said, I have not looked into the post history so I have no idea if MS has a general tendency of being racist.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38818 on: August 20, 2020, 08:42:09 pm »

People can be racist regardless of which colour of skin they have.
I dare even say,  globally, there is more racism by people of colour than there is in the ' white'  world.
Well, probably, yes, on the statistic basis of there being way more South and East Asians alone (and they really don't care for muslims on average), but that's not really the point, since that guy's claiming I'm being racist against black Americans. The likelihood that he has even bothered to read the research on the coronavirus and race is minimal.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38819 on: August 20, 2020, 08:43:31 pm »

Fair enough, this is the Ameripol thread after all
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 2586 2587 [2588] 2589 2590 ... 3566