Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2584 2585 [2586] 2587 2588 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226204 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38775 on: August 19, 2020, 08:40:37 pm »

I can go outside any day of the week and find people not wearing masks correctly or not distancing correctly.  I've literally seen it every day.
The other day, I saw one of a pair of girls helping out the other because she had her face-fitting mask the wrong way up. Much thanks from the previously inverted one, as she then proceded to afix it thr right way up but now not over her nose...

(I didn't say anything, but it must have been at least as unfitting/uncomfortable, as when she had the chin bit atop her nose and the nose bit below her chin.)

And then there's the "chin-strappers" who seem just just use it to stop their mouth opening too far under the effect of gravity...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38776 on: August 19, 2020, 08:45:32 pm »

I can go outside any day of the week and find people not wearing masks correctly or not distancing correctly.  I've literally seen it every day.
The other day, I saw one of a pair of girls helping out the other because she had her face-fitting mask the wrong way up. Much thanks from the previously inverted one, as she then proceded to afix it thr right way up but now not over her nose...

(I didn't say anything, but it must have been at least as unfitting/uncomfortable, as when she had the chin bit atop her nose and the nose bit below her chin.)

And then there's the "chin-strappers" who seem just just use it to stop their mouth opening too far under the effect of gravity...

Its what happens when you cut education for like three generations.  You get people who can't cover their face with a thing designed to cover their face.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38777 on: August 19, 2020, 08:46:53 pm »

Yo it also looks like it hasn't been updated since June? Is that accurate?
Yes, unfortunately, I don't know of anything more recent. If you want to posit a sudden massive decline in compliance rates, I couldn't rule that out, although I've seen nothing to indicate it. It probably doesn't matter anyway, honestly, since noncompliance is more of a problem for the noncompliant than for anyone else.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38778 on: August 19, 2020, 08:52:18 pm »

It probably doesn't matter anyway, honestly, since noncompliance is more of a problem for the noncompliant than for anyone else.

up til they clog up the hospital.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38779 on: August 19, 2020, 08:53:17 pm »

I mean, rather than reference something as nebulous and untracked as compliance rates I'd posit that Europe and the US both began seeing cases in January, and whereas the majority of Europe has pushed itself down the bottom of new daily cases we remain at the top.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38780 on: August 19, 2020, 09:00:11 pm »

It probably doesn't matter anyway, honestly, since noncompliance is more of a problem for the noncompliant than for anyone else.

up til they clog up the hospital.
We're nowhere near that point, don't worry. The derivative of new cases is down, so we're unlikely to see that before the likely next wave early 2021.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38781 on: August 19, 2020, 11:56:26 pm »

Epidemics in general are beneficial for the survivors for a variety of reasons, of which the most important is freeing up resources that would otherwise be consumed by relatively low-value individuals.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand this point. Who exactly are these "low-value individuals" that the pandemic is primarily targeting and why do you think society would be better off without them?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38782 on: August 20, 2020, 12:47:19 am »

Careful, MS. This virus more heavily affects PoC.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38783 on: August 20, 2020, 01:28:24 am »

Careful, MS. This virus more heavily affects PoC.

"The US isn't bungling the pandemic, but I wish we were", "the numbers are fine if we only count the important ones, the whites", and "the virus is good for clearing out evolutionarily maladaptive traits like being black in america" sound a bit on the edge when you spell it out, but I'm sure I'm missing something that would be obvious to a higher-value individual.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38784 on: August 20, 2020, 01:34:26 am »

Epidemics in general are beneficial for the survivors for a variety of reasons, of which the most important is freeing up resources that would otherwise be consumed by relatively low-value individuals.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand this point. Who exactly are these "low-value individuals" that the pandemic is primarily targeting and why do you think society would be better off without them?

Without getting too heavily invested...

The major offenders tend to be the radical rightwing boomers, that have been holding back society for 50+ years trying to pretend that the civil rights movement never happened.  (among other offenses.)

As crude and crass as it is to say, an external, non-man-made source of downward pressure causing a sharp shift in their numbers could indeed be very beneficial to society.

As others pointed out there, there is a strong amount of collateral damage with PoC, who are further adversely impacted by the infection (for a number of reasons)-- But those are the very same people that stand to greatly benefit from the resulting cultural dynamic shift that will occur if this pandemic continues unabated (because people that are rightwing denialist morons wearing maga hats and coughing virus everywhere, continue to do that. Thankfully they tend to be very clannish about their choice of company, and continue to congregate where others are exercising strong isolation regimens.  Nature will see it out, regardless. Just that there could be beneficial consequences, overall, from their willful noncompliance and stupidity.)

PoC just need to stay away from the afore mentioned stupid racist white fucks, who are too busy killing themselves and each other with their brand of denialist stupidity.  Let them continue to have dinner parties, go to their racist church gatherings and sing without masks on-- Nature will deal with them accordingly.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:37:21 am by wierd »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38785 on: August 20, 2020, 02:58:32 am »

Without getting too heavily invested...

The major offenders tend to be the radical rightwing boomers, that have been holding back society for 50+ years trying to pretend that the civil rights movement never happened.  (among other offenses.)

As crude and crass as it is to say, an external, non-man-made source of downward pressure causing a sharp shift in their numbers could indeed be very beneficial to society.

As others pointed out there, there is a strong amount of collateral damage with PoC, who are further adversely impacted by the infection (for a number of reasons)-- But those are the very same people that stand to greatly benefit from the resulting cultural dynamic shift that will occur if this pandemic continues unabated (because people that are rightwing denialist morons wearing maga hats and coughing virus everywhere, continue to do that. Thankfully they tend to be very clannish about their choice of company, and continue to congregate where others are exercising strong isolation regimens.  Nature will see it out, regardless. Just that there could be beneficial consequences, overall, from their willful noncompliance and stupidity.)

PoC just need to stay away from the afore mentioned stupid racist white fucks, who are too busy killing themselves and each other with their brand of denialist stupidity.  Let them continue to have dinner parties, go to their racist church gatherings and sing without masks on-- Nature will deal with them accordingly.
See, this one gets it.

I'm surprisingly mostly fine with a virus that disproportionately kills the old and rich. Sure, I'd like to reduce exceptions as much as anyone else, but on average, this is for the best.

(Also, even minority cases are very likely disproportionately relatively wealthy and include many, for example, older churchgoing black Trump supporters from those weird movements and such.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:04:52 am by Maximum Spin »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38786 on: August 20, 2020, 03:02:23 am »

From a long-term and especially from an evolutionary perspective, the epidemic has been good for the population of the country as a whole.
You can and most people probably should typically just not vote.

whatthefuckamireading.png

Wh-what? You mean, maybe, just possibly.. not all peoples' judgment is equally educated, articulated, or relevant? Gasp! Oh noes!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38787 on: August 20, 2020, 04:35:10 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38788 on: August 20, 2020, 04:52:04 am »

That's just quitter talk, honestly. I can't put myself into that mindset; I'm an optimist by nature and my life experience has consistently been that things turn out fine.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38789 on: August 20, 2020, 05:17:49 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:22 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 2584 2585 [2586] 2587 2588 ... 3566