Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4180195 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10275 on: August 11, 2017, 12:29:16 pm »

Not to mention the hurricane RNG.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:08 pm »

If you haven't read the standalone series, you should. It's fantastic.

Coming back to news as unreal as a superhero with "powers of girl, powers of squirrel", New Orleans is underwater. Again.

At least this time it's not due to the levees.
That might be an extension of Katrina.  The relief and rebuilding efforts, from everything I've heard, were an utter clusterfuck.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear some contractor who pocketed half his budget is behind this.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: August 11, 2017, 01:01:46 pm »

>mayor says not to panic
>but maybe if it happens to, you know, rain... a bit of cautious terror might not be out of place

Nope, spiderman is a new yorker. I'm pretty sure Chicago is a myth, maybe made up by pizza companies. There wouldn't be that many people living in  Illinois.
I wish I could say it was a myth, but no, I can't erase the memory of that smell. We're not talking Maryland levels of "oh god what the fuck is going on here" stank (seriously, I've been through Maryland several times, it has a very distinct odor in every part I've been through, is it the bullshit over in D.C. permeating through the rest?) but Chicago has this funky "rotten vanilla and cigar smoke" type of old man smell that makes it existing all the more baffling. Been in damn near every state except the pacific northwest and--thankfully--Florida, and there are like three spots on the map that stand out as "worth multiple hundred mile detours to avoid" to me: Maryland, that stretch through Arkansas with paper mills+pet food plants (god why), and Chicago. It's not like you're being forced to live in Illinois or Indiana or Ohio, right?

Oh god, are people being forced to live in these shitholes? Who would do something like that?

In political comic news: Archangel is an alternate history sci-fi story by William Gibson--who you probably know of as coining the term that was made into a movie which has a scene which was referenced and turned into an ironic meme on becoming aware of certain "facts" about the real world which are generally just opinions, terrible ones, at that--and not to give away too much, but it involves trying to fix a global apocalypse which was like... actually a pretty fucking bad end, and then the last panel has the guy landing back in the present to see he was successful and then being baffled when he sees a newspaper with a headline about Trump winning as it is clearly the least probable part of the whole story.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10278 on: August 11, 2017, 01:06:40 pm »

I don't recall Chicago having a rotten vanilla and cigar smoke smell, but I have only been there in the winter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: August 11, 2017, 01:09:26 pm »

It might be the Chesapeake Bay that's smelling.  Whenever it rains all the fertilizers and pesticides in the entire state flow into the bay.  Its a big problem; among other things its killed off a lot of the sea life.

Or it could be plain old ocean smell.  You ever lived near the coast?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: August 11, 2017, 01:17:57 pm »

nvm, misread post.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:20:49 pm by smjjames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10281 on: August 11, 2017, 01:24:46 pm »

It might be the Chesapeake Bay that's smelling.  Whenever it rains all the fertilizers and pesticides in the entire state flow into the bay.  Its a big problem; among other things its killed off a lot of the sea life.

Or it could be plain old ocean smell.  You ever lived near the coast?
I was homeless on Martha's Vineyard for about a month like a decade and a half ago? I suspected ocean or something at first but after being around them more often that doesn't quite explain it, but all the shit in the bay sounds plausible, and I've only been to Chicago in winter, maybe it's just something when you approach it from the south, or maybe the lake is full of rottting ice cream trucks and ice cream truck drivers? I mean, there are lots of places that have their own really unique smell, and there are lots of places that smell bad but those three are the standouts where I found myself wanting a gas mask or like, cyborg lungs so I didn't have to breathe there. Really the bit through Arkansas was the worst, I've smelled paper mills, I've smelled hog farms, pet food plants, all that shit before... but the combination? I mean we're talking about highway speeds with fresh air filters, sealed up tight, and your eyes still water from the hatefully acrid scents.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

Max, you've got to learn to divide up your thoughts and maybe proofread a little. Sorry to point it out, but your last two posts were stream of consciousness vomit and near unreadable.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: August 11, 2017, 02:09:36 pm »

Like, I don't want to be that guy, but I found it readable :(

And amusing, for that matter.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: August 11, 2017, 02:50:25 pm »

I was able to read it. Could still use a paragraph or two though I suppose.

In a bunch of new ambiguity, in response to a question on the "locked and loaded" thing, he said "it's pretty obvious.""We are looking at that pretty carefully. I hope they are gonna fully understand the gravity of what I said. And what I said is what I mean,"

Yay ambiguity! /s
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:02:41 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:39 pm »

It's from a while back, but:
Daredevil, Punisher, and the rest of the Marvel Knights are all in "Hell's Kitchen" which I'm pretty sure is just a shitty part of New York, maybe somewhere else.
Hell's Kitchen is real, although it hasn't been seedy since the 70s (that 70s were 50 years ago!). I can understand why you thought it was shitty, but the Irish really aren't that bad.

I was able to read it. Could still use a paragraph or two though I suppose.

In a bunch of new ambiguousity, in response to a question on the "locked and loaded" thing, he said "it's pretty obvious.""We are looking at that pretty carefully. I hope they are gonna fully understand the gravity of what I said. And what I said is what I mean,"

Yay ambiguousity! /s
First, it's ambiguity, not ambigousity. Second, yes, I was raised by abusive pedants. Three, it seems Trump has spent his vacation lashing out on Twitter, also calling on McConnell to resign if he doesn't get some legislative achievements done. I've heard Kelly is imposing discipline on the white house, but if he can't impose discipline on the man in charge it may be all for naught.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10286 on: August 11, 2017, 03:08:14 pm »

Do you really expect Kelly to be able to discipline Trump? The WH in general seems a little calmer (besides Trump that is), but that could be a byproduct of Trump being on vacation at the golf course, so, we'll see how it is when everybody gets back to the WH.

Also, Trump has said that if NK makes one more threat at Guam (verbal? physical? psychic? Who knows.), they'll quickly regret it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: August 11, 2017, 03:20:51 pm »

Golf course? Hahaha. He's already well installed in his nuke free bunker in the friendly province of Siberia
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10288 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:45 pm »

Option 5: US attacks South Korea as an example to show NK what we're capable of and nukes Guam ourselves. "We didn't need that puny island anyway."
Option 6: US attacks Guam, North Korea nukes Siberia and Ryukyu conquers the world

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: August 11, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »

Option 5: US attacks South Korea as an example to show NK what we're capable of and nukes Guam ourselves. "We didn't need that puny island anyway."
Option 6: US attacks Guam, North Korea nukes Siberia and Ryukyu conquers the world

Option 7: Guam declares independence and preemptively attacks NK. US attacks Guam to suppress the rebellion. Guam wins against both, somehow and the world descends into peace as everyone crawls away embarassed.
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 3566