Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4180730 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10260 on: August 10, 2017, 10:41:31 pm »

Gotham and Metropolis are both New York City: the former is the seamy underside, while the latter is the glittery city of tomorrow.  Both of these are actually nicknames for NYC, the former since 1807 and the latter since the 1930s (albeit much more generic, in the sense that Constantinople/Istanbul was also just "The City").  Apparently, for heroes in Chicago, your choices are Supergirl, Nightwing, Hawkman, the Blue Beetle, and Plastic Man.  Hell's Kitchen is indeed a neighborhood in Manhattan, since NYC also exists alongside Gotham and Metropolis in the DC-verse.

EDIT:
But, then again, the only print comic from DC or Marvel that I actually read is Squirrel Girl because it absolutely refuses to take itself seriously, and that only recently.  I just know the Gotham/Metropolis connection because I know the nickname Gotham and because I once saw someone mention that they're across the bay from each other, which caused me to look up the rest at that time; the rest I grabbed off the DC Wiki. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:47:55 pm by Culise »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: August 10, 2017, 10:52:02 pm »

In appearance, however, Gotham City is heavily modeled on Chicago. At least, modern Gotham is.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: August 11, 2017, 12:17:10 am »

Going wayy offtopic here, but I wonder if theres any rural based (read: not liberal environment) superheroes? Besides Paul Bunyan that is.

Obviously it makes sense that the city is where the action is, but still, just wondering out of curiosity.

Colossus.

Piotr "Peter" Rasputin was born on a Soviet collective farm called the Ust-Ordynsky Collective near Lake Baikal in Siberia. He lived there with his mother Alexandra, father Nikolai, and sister Illyana. His older brother, Mikhail, had been a Soviet cosmonaut and had apparently died in a rocket accident. The 2006 comic mini-series Colossus: Bloodline established that the family was descended from Grigori Rasputin.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: August 11, 2017, 03:08:18 am »

Forget North Korea, we might have a new Cuban missile crisis.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/amerikanen-in-cuba-lopen-gehoorschade-op-door-verstopte-audioapparatuur~a4510708/

Apparently US (and possibly Canadian and other nationalities as well) diplomats that were stationed in Havana have had to return to the US, because of severe hearing damage (both to their own ears as well as their spouses and children)

Investigation has now shown that the appartments granted to them by the Cuban authorities are fitted with audio devices that produce a loud tone, that's unhearable to the human ear, but nonetheless damaging.

Knowing Trump, he'll throw at least 666 nukes on Cuba now to retaliate for the loss of hearing.

Still wtf, why the fuck would Cuba do that? Seems purposeless and unnescessary.

EDIT: I guess it has some merit if you want to make sure you are dealing with inexperienced diplomats. Deaf diplomats have to be replaced.

EDIT: AP press agency does say it is also possible Cuba is not responsible. It could have been another foreign agency that instaled the devices. Unlikely though, the diplomatic residences are owned by the Cuban state.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:15:16 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: August 11, 2017, 03:37:07 am »

Didn't the British used to rub lead on their faces? And eat something called spotted dick?

Good role models, I think not.
There is literally nothing wrong with eating blood or rubbing lead on your face
Although, thanks to the EU, we cannot eat lead or rub blood on our faces any more...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: August 11, 2017, 06:33:51 am »

The Chinese state newspaper Global Times advises that if the US attacks North Korea first, China should side with North Korea and defend it.
If however North Korea attacks first, China should remain neutral, and not intervene with any retaliatory action, including invasion into NK territory.

Dunno, I guess that sounds .. reasonable?

EDIT: it's not an official state announcement. The Global Times is said to write what Chinese civil servants and Party members think, but are afraid to speak out on personal title.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:37:29 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: August 11, 2017, 07:34:59 am »

Didn't the British used to rub lead on their faces? And eat something called spotted dick?

Good role models, I think not.
There is literally nothing wrong with eating blood or rubbing lead on your face
Although, thanks to the EU, we cannot eat lead or rub blood on our faces any more...

You got it backwards mate. Ya'll ate the blood and rubbed lead on your faces.

:P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10267 on: August 11, 2017, 07:45:59 am »

The Chinese state newspaper Global Times advises that if the US attacks North Korea first, China should side with North Korea and defend it.
If however North Korea attacks first, China should remain neutral, and not intervene with any retaliatory action, including invasion into NK territory.
EDIT: it's not an official state announcement. The Global Times is said to write what Chinese civil servants and Party members think, but are afraid to speak out on personal title.
Missing option 3, China attacks North Korea first, or option 4 - attacks USA or SK first

The EU has nothing to do with Thames Water, the EU needs to learn that plagiarism is bad. Ditto for fox hunting, you can still rub blood on your face anyways, it's not actually illegal
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: August 11, 2017, 07:52:10 am »

Oooh, look at that!

* Starver points at something aloft, superpositioned to your combined craniums...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: August 11, 2017, 08:17:25 am »

Sounds like a good reason to not do a pre-emptive first strike. Trump seems to be trying to put the onus on North Korea here, and NK shooting at Guam would definetly be seen as NK attacking first. Though Trump has said that the military is "locked and loaded" should NK try anything and NK has reverted to it's usual rhetoric that the US wants to pursue nuclear war. And theres going to be those planned war games with SK later in the month, which are already a tense period in normal times.

As for Cuba, Trump hasn't even said anything about it and it hasn't progressed beyond wierd Cold War echoes.

Also, to nobody's surprise, Trumps saying that the military is fully in place and ready is a total lie and could actually make things more dangerous.

edit: You know, I wonder how NK would react to China abandoning them if NK is the one to strike first. I suppose it'd be some level of "F-you!" and middle finger.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:33:25 am by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:22 am »

Missing option 3, China attacks North Korea first, or option 4 - attacks USA or SK first

Option 5: US attacks South Korea as an example to show NK what we're capable of and nukes Guam ourselves. "We didn't need that puny island anyway."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: August 11, 2017, 11:25:39 am »

Regarding non-NYC superheroes, I can't believe nobody mentioned Squirrel Girl and the Great Lakes Avengers. (Although Squirrel Girl eventually moved to NYC...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: August 11, 2017, 11:43:47 am »

I am not a huge fan of comic book heroes but for the short stints I played marvel heroes on steam Squirrel Girl became my favorite character almost instantly.  Just the perfect combination of absurd superpowers, probably the best one liners in the game(and nut facts!), and the skills names (nutcracker, hulkbuster squirrels).  She even beats out deadpool.

That and it's so amusing to constantly have over a dozen tiny pets running off in sync to eviscerate any hydra agent or dinosaur stupid enough to wander within 10 yards of her while I'm looking through menus.  All led by a single one wearing a bow.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:50:44 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:13 am »

If you haven't read the standalone series, you should. It's fantastic.

Coming back to news as unreal as a superhero with "powers of girl, powers of squirrel", New Orleans is underwater. Again.

At least this time it's not due to the levees.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: August 11, 2017, 12:25:36 pm »

Give it time, we still got rain comin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 3566