Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 57

Author Topic: Paranormal 25 - Game over! Town victory!  (Read 79553 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 25 - Night 1
« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2017, 06:50:01 pm »

RattyB, for hopefully obvious reasons.

DA

hector: I didn't say that I think TBF is more likely to be a third party than scum. I still think scum is the most likely option, but if I'm wrong about that he's almost certainly third party.

If he happens to flip town, the town won't be better off, clearly.

Anyway, cynical!hector would think that you're twisting an argument to suit your read, in both cases.
Perhaps cynical hector should put some effort into explaining why he feels that way instead of making blanket statements and leaving it at that.

Well for starters you say you're open-minded about TBF not being scum, but that if he's not scum he's third-party, and third-party should be killed anyway. Basically "I want TBF dead regardless". You were voting him on D1, with no evidence other than your respective day game's, during which he hasn't really deviated from his normal day play ie it's pants. I don't think the town should be mentioning TP's D1, so asked about why you were citing that as a reason for voting someone. Poorly, obviously...

I unvoted him after I calmed down and realised this is how TBF plays the game. I would've hoped that someone who was thinking I was a bit shady might have a little look-see at TBF's previous games to either confirm I'm backing off for a legit reason or if I'm talking nonsense, especially since your case on him is that he clearly doesn't have the town's interest at heart because of his poor play. You obviously didn't, and kept on with your case that his play isn't town-oriented, ergo he's not town. Which is stupid. See: D1 lynch, fillipk.

So yeah, at this point you appear to be indulging in confirmation bias - TBF isn't a crap player he's just not town, hector didn't miscommunicate his thoughts, he might be trying to misrepresent me - and that doesn't sit well with me.

That's an interesting way to put things, seeing as you were the one to bring up the issue of TPs on D1 in regards to your vote. You said if TBF wasn't scum, he was a TP, which - as implied by my questions - struck me as an odd thing to be worrying about for town on D1. It doesn't even look like you considered the possibility of him being incompetent town.
Why would I consider that as a possibility? TBF has played the game before, he knows how it works. And again, I didn't bring up third parties as a worry at all during day 1. I said that TBF was clearly not playing from a town orientated mindset and if not scum he was most likely a third party. You seem determined to project the impression that I'm hunting for third parties over scum, and I'd like to know why.

See above: his meta.

I'm not saying you're hunting TPs, I'm wondering why you would cite "his play isn't town so he's either scum or TP" as a reason to lynch someone on D1 when they're pretty much playing the game the way they always do.

Certainly, there were a number of players on D1 who could fit the bill of not having the town's best interests at heart. TDS posted a handful of times, Tiruin promised a reads list before day end that never came, I tunneled on TBF for ~30 hours, IronyOwl was voting for themselves at the end of the day; the list goes on.

Why did TBF deserve to be voted over these other players on the terms you settled on?
Tiruin and TDS were had low activity. I don't know what similarity you think IronyOwl has with the others you mentioned. TBF had a reasonable number of posts, but had made it clear that he had no interest in contributing any information to the town that he could avoid doing. Active players that are part taking in scummy behaviour are a higher priority for lynching as far as I'm concerned over inactive players or whatever you're accusing IronyOwl of.

I tuned out toward the end of D1, so I thought he'd left his vote on himself at the conclusion of D1, so that's nonsense now.

Anyway, I pointed out some anti-town play from other players, because that's why you were voting TBF. Has his play now been upgraded to scummy?

PPE:

TDS

Is that going to be your contribution for the day?

PPE2:

Oh-
@Tiruin: I'm certain he didn't visit me because <insert multiple contradictory, but valid, explanations here>.  Yeah, I really don't want to claim why.

*sigh*

One thing you should probably consider before posting is "will this advance my team's goal(s)?"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 25 - Day 2 dawns bloody cold
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »

Also, see? Was that so tough, Tiruin? All I wanted was a little activity. Now we can go back to being nice to each other.

Or at least I can assume you're Town. You can assume whatever you like about me. But, I'll admit, I'm (mostly) harmless.

Oh-
@Tiruin: I'm certain he didn't visit me because <insert multiple contradictory, but valid, explanations here>.  Yeah, I really don't want to claim why.
Don't claim. It's better that way. Being a mysterious element at this point in time allows the scum to being in the dark. It's better that way.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 14, 2017, 06:52:47 pm »

Oh-
Don't claim. It's better that way. Being a mysterious element at this point in time allows the scum to being in the dark. It's better that way.
Exactly.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2017, 07:06:47 pm »

The Whiteboard
doll: RattyB
RattyB: Deus Asmoth, hector13, Persus13, TheBiggerFish, TheDarkStar, Tiruin, webadict
Shakerag: Leafsnail
TheDarkStar: Shakerag
Tiruin: doll

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Wednesday. There is one vote to Extend the day to ~5pm Pacific Thursday. Three votes needed to Extend.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2017, 07:48:06 pm »

I'm voting for Shorten, unless anyone else has anything to discuss.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2017, 07:55:43 pm »

shrug

Shorten is fine with me too.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2017, 08:06:14 pm »

shorten

hector13:
DA

hector: I didn't say that I think TBF is more likely to be a third party than scum. I still think scum is the most likely option, but if I'm wrong about that he's almost certainly third party.

If he happens to flip town, the town won't be better off, clearly.

Anyway, cynical!hector would think that you're twisting an argument to suit your read, in both cases.
Perhaps cynical hector should put some effort into explaining why he feels that way instead of making blanket statements and leaving it at that.

Well for starters you say you're open-minded about TBF not being scum, but that if he's not scum he's third-party, and third-party should be killed anyway.
I didn't say that. The original point that you questioned me on was when I said that "TBF may not be scum", which you seem to have interpreted as me saying that I thought there was a good chance that he wasn't, when I was raising the possibility of it in reference to the fact that regardless of his alignment (which I considered most likely to be scum), his play at the time was not town-oriented, he showed no inclination to change this fact, and I see no reason to leave such a player alive any longer than absolutely necessary.

And yes, in almost every case a third party should also be lynched when given the opportunity to do so, especially one playing with the same anti-town mindset that TBF was during D1.

Of the third parties in the game, there's a town/mafia-ally, a cultist, like four flavours of serial killer and the survivor. There is exactly one of those that I wouldn't want dead, and there's no reason why that role would be played with an anti town mindset (hint; it's the town-sided Rogue).

Basically "I want TBF dead regardless". You were voting him on D1, with no evidence other than your respective day game's, during which he hasn't really deviated from his normal day play ie it's pants. I don't think the town should be mentioning TP's D1, so asked about why you were citing that as a reason for voting someone. Poorly, obviously...
And as I've already explained multiple times I in no way cited thinking that he was a third party as a reason to lynch him. I cited his anti-town play as a reason to lynch him and acknowledged that while it wasn't a guarantee that he was scum, it did indicate that he was in an anti-town alignment.

It's also odd that you don't think third parties should be discussed during day 1, considering that there was a hell of a lot of mentions about third party roles thanks to Doll, but you don't seem to have raised any objections about that.

I unvoted him after I calmed down and realised this is how TBF plays the game. I would've hoped that someone who was thinking I was a bit shady might have a little look-see at TBF's previous games to either confirm I'm backing off for a legit reason or if I'm talking nonsense, especially since your case on him is that he clearly doesn't have the town's interest at heart because of his poor play. You obviously didn't, and kept on with your case that his play isn't town-oriented, ergo he's not town. Which is stupid. See: D1 lynch, fillipk.
I'm sure you have a point here, but I don't know what it's supposed to be. His play wasn't poor, it was lazy and had no interest in aiding the town over his own interests. That's anti town, that's a valid reason to lynch someone, and to claim otherwise is idiotic.

So yeah, at this point you appear to be indulging in confirmation bias - TBF isn't a crap player he's just not town, hector didn't miscommunicate his thoughts, he might be trying to misrepresent me - and that doesn't sit well with me.
So it's confirmation bias that I think that when someone joins a game of mafia they're aware of how the game is played and capable of pouring water out of a boot that has instructions for doing so on the bottom of the heel?

That's an interesting way to put things, seeing as you were the one to bring up the issue of TPs on D1 in regards to your vote. You said if TBF wasn't scum, he was a TP, which - as implied by my questions - struck me as an odd thing to be worrying about for town on D1. It doesn't even look like you considered the possibility of him being incompetent town.
Why would I consider that as a possibility? TBF has played the game before, he knows how it works. And again, I didn't bring up third parties as a worry at all during day 1. I said that TBF was clearly not playing from a town orientated mindset and if not scum he was most likely a third party. You seem determined to project the impression that I'm hunting for third parties over scum, and I'd like to know why.

See above: his meta.

I'm not saying you're hunting TPs, I'm wondering why you would cite "his play isn't town so he's either scum or TP" as a reason to lynch someone on D1 when they're pretty much playing the game the way they always do.
Are you saying that someone playing with an anti-town mindset should not be identified as someone with an anti-town alignment and should not be lynched? Because it sounds to me like that's what you're saying, and that's frankly worrying.

Certainly, there were a number of players on D1 who could fit the bill of not having the town's best interests at heart. TDS posted a handful of times, Tiruin promised a reads list before day end that never came, I tunneled on TBF for ~30 hours, IronyOwl was voting for themselves at the end of the day; the list goes on.

Why did TBF deserve to be voted over these other players on the terms you settled on?
Tiruin and TDS were had low activity. I don't know what similarity you think IronyOwl has with the others you mentioned. TBF had a reasonable number of posts, but had made it clear that he had no interest in contributing any information to the town that he could avoid doing. Active players that are part taking in scummy behaviour are a higher priority for lynching as far as I'm concerned over inactive players or whatever you're accusing IronyOwl of.

I tuned out toward the end of D1, so I thought he'd left his vote on himself at the conclusion of D1, so that's nonsense now.

Anyway, I pointed out some anti-town play from other players, because that's why you were voting TBF. Has his play now been upgraded to scummy?
Do you see a difference between scummy behaviour and anti-town behaviour? And as I said, lack of activity is not the same as actual activity that is scummy.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2017, 08:14:14 pm »

RattyB then. The alternative of two out of three mafia members outing themselves on day 2 to contradict his claim is vanishingly unlikely.
Leafsnail: What did you do last night?
Nothing. I'll assume you had a good reason for asking that and you will be held to account if you don't.

EBWOP:
Why did you visit Shakerag? Why did you think this information was useful to reveal to the town?
This can be disregarded, I missed the Tiruin post earlier.
Tiruin: Why did you feel you had to force a claim out of doll? Your read on him was not incriminating. At the very least you could have just asked him who he visited rather than what he did.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2017, 09:03:30 pm »

Shorten. Well, RattyB being scum changes around my picks for scum.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:40 pm »

I'll throw in a RattyB vote, obviously.  Things happened quickly while I was at work, but I'm not complaining because ya'll found scum.

Regarding things earlier: I have no relevant night action information to share.

Also, shorten.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 14, 2017, 10:14:00 pm »

TDS

Is that going to be your contribution for the day?

Shorten :P

That aside, here's what I get from RattyB's posting history:

In this post he tries to throw suspicion on webadict, doll, and fillipk.

In this post he votes Shakerag for no reason.

...and that's all his posts of substance from yesterday. The webadict/doll/fillipk cases appear to be actual attempts to throw suspicion on them (and of course fillipk flipped Agent), but I'm not quite as sure about the Shakerag vote. It could be a reaction vote or it could RattyB's attempt to distance himself from his scum partner.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 14, 2017, 10:16:02 pm »

Hmm.
Sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 14, 2017, 10:23:55 pm »

Also, one more shorten to shorten if I'm counting correctly.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:03 pm »

You including the fact that Shortens and extends cancel each other?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:44 pm »

They do?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 57