Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57

Author Topic: Paranormal 25 - Game over! Town victory!  (Read 79446 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 25 - Day 1 - Horror comes with the tides
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2017, 10:37:15 am »

I was reading into his seeming lack of concern for others as being a possible fleck in the direction of his being totally without a team, i.e. independent third party.
On further consideration though, I think that's just the nature of Shakerag.

You were right that I should have waited until D2 before reading too much into shakerag.
I tend to be right about a lot of things. Not everything, but a lot.

Shakerag does Shakerag things.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 09, 2017, 11:50:15 am »

fillipk

Spoiler: thoughts (click to show/hide)

I'm actually just going to post this bit now, 'cause I was juggling a lot of tabs trying to find the bits I wanted to refer to, and I don't want to close this one accidentally.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 09, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »

DA

He may not be scum, but his mindset definitely doesn't seem to be town oriented as far as I'm concerned.

You seem like you think he's not scum. What do you think he is?

Leafsnail

How do you think the town should respond to you and I claiming kook in the short-, medium-, and long-term in this game? Say, D1 + N1, D2-N3, and D4+ respectively.
I don't think they should really do anything differently except not investigate us if they're agents (and maybe investigate us if they have kook bypassing inspections).

Why not? *Insert identical rhetoric as this post, here*

I'm hopeful to see fillipk's promised huge post today, preferably with enough time for people to look over it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2017, 12:09:18 pm »

Shakerag does Shakerag things.
That warms the cockles of my heart.

6 players to go for my reads.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:27 pm »

This is my last chance to Extend before the deadline, so I'll do that now.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2017, 02:05:50 pm »

...Extend I guess?  We are still waiting on that post from fillipk.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2017, 02:23:04 pm »

Extend

And I'm working on it now.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:43 pm »

TheBiggerFish:
What have you done to find scum? What do you plan to do to find scum? What have you done to shift the focus off of yourself? What do you plan to do to shift the focus off of yourself?
I haven't had much chance to - especially what with major focuses of this RVS being me, and someone I'm pretty certain is town.  fillipk might be scummier than not, but I'm really not certain.
At this point, I'm not sure I'll even have the chance, but I want to see the flip of whoever does get lynched to start actual scumhunting.
The last two questions are quite frankly loaded as all heck IMHO.  So no thanks.
Why do you say you can't scumhunt without an existing roleflip? Other people are doing it just fine.

So rather than answer my questions, or address the fact that they're loaded, you're just going to refuse because they might be dangerous? Is there any scummy quality you haven't displayed this game?

Pretty much, word choice.  Connotations and stuff.  But either way, I don't think I should need to do anything about the focus on myself except play - that is, that what I'm already doing - at least, what I'm doing right now - should, you know, prove the suspicions groundless.  Actively "shifting focus off" myself implies that there are reasons for focus to be on myself.  And honestly, it was somewhat of a complaint that hector was tunneling (at least IMO).
You have not been playing. You've been posting, but by your own admission you refuse to start playing until D2.

TheDarkStar:
DA/hector/IO: Why do you want TBF lynched so badly? How do you (and hector especially) think doll compares in terms of scumminess?
I don't want him lynched badly, but he's been displaying some outright Jester-tier play and I can't figure out why. I originally voted him because I wasn't sure he'd see it if it wasn't a vote at the top of my post, for instance, and he's done less than nothing to persuade me off of it since. Indeed, he's displayed only passing interest in the prospect of being lynched, and had no direct engagement with anyone over that point beyond briefly answering questions.

Basically, if I did a quote-by-quote "here he displays scummy behavior" thingy for TBF like doll did for fillipk, it'd show him to be 100% confirmed scum. I don't actually think he's scum, but I don't actually think he's town or third party or literally anything else either, because his play is absolutely baffling for any alignment.

So to be honest I'd rather not lynch him, but if he's going to intentionally be completely unreadable and useless, I'm not sure what to do about it except kill him on principle, or shrug and hope he's town.

Doll doesn't even come close in scumminess. Even at the height of his shenanigans, he was awfully brazen to be scum and lacked the sloth and self-righteousness of TBF. Then he started doing stuff and now he's one of our more active, interesting players.

RattyB:
RattyB: Day's ending. Are you sure you want to end it draped haphazardly over Shakerag like a googly-eyed novelty shawl?

fillipk:
@Irony
Sure if I don't have anyone else I actually think is scum I would rather hit an obnoxious player then random another player.
Are you working on finding any such scum? Other than prodding RattyB, I don't recall you having anything approaching a real suspect or attempts at gaining a real suspect.
I understand that you are probably just trying to help me (as a noob, it is nice to have in), but if I were scum IronyOwl, getting the noob to trust me would be very helpful later on. Just saying.
If you are scum, I'm on to your tricks...
You're not, though. I'm scum. Whatcha gonna do about it?
"VOTE IRONYOWL!!!!"
Cool. Why?
"BECAUSE HE'S SCUUUUUUUUUUUM!"
Cool. Why?
"BECAUSE HE SAID SO!"
And you believe him?
"Well he's not gonna lie about-"
So he wouldn't lie about being scum but he'd confess to it?
"Er... uh..."
What's your read on him?
"Um... h-he confessed-"
What's your read on him?
"...I don't have one because I've asked him no questions and not analyzed his interactions with others very well."
Cool. Now he's gonna laugh all the way to LYLO even though you know he's scum. This could probably be labeled as poor strategy on your part. Perhaps you should ask him and others questions in order to get a better grasp on who they are and why they're behaving as they do, so that you can find scum without them confessing and convince others without them already agreeing.

Why are you voting fillipk, for instance? Is it because you've interacted with him a ton and concluded that he's scum through that, or because you've bandwagoned him based on other people's work?

Also that last one is not purely rhetorical. Why are you voting fillipk? Why were you voting Shakerag prior to that?

webadict:
Are you just kind of done for the Day, then?
Not really. I will be done when I convince 3 more people to lynch fillipk. Also, I posted that while waiting for my car to warm up for work. I am a lot more busy than I used to be.

Lynching TBF is a stupid mistake. Nothing he is doing really jumps out at me other than being: 1) lazy, 2) newbie, 3) boring. Lynching him gives us relatively little information, unless you somehow think he is being really clever.
Why 3 specifically?

How do you think TBF's play would differ were he scum? What would the ideal time to lynch him be?

Lol, alright, Shakerag's probably town.
What makes you say that?

Yes I'm aware I'm voting for myself. What you gonna do about it?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2017, 02:43:56 pm »

Welcome to the wall.  Unvote  Extend

hector13: Claiming kook.  Voting TBF for being a lazy asshat.  Mostly focusing on TBF.  Slow start, but seems to be engaging well as time goes on.  Unvoted TBF on realizing his vote was more emotional.  I don't think it was a bad vote, personally, but I have come to agree with the sentiment that TBF's play is poor and doesn't contribute positively to the game as much as other players, but isn't necessarily scummy.  Said he was going to vote fillipk but has yet to put his vote on anyone again.  Leaning minutely non-scum. PPE: has now voted for fillipk

TheDarkStar: Sparse posting early in the day.  Didn't follow up with my response looking for reasons as to why I named who I named.  Assumed doll/webadict can't both be scum because they pm'd each other (couldn't they be lying about that?).  Sparse posting late in the day too.  Could be scum, but could also be lazy/busy/not a strong player.  Likely wouldn't oppose a TDS lynch, but not strongly in favor of one either.

fillipk: Offering a number of observations, but not turning them into direct, prodding questions (post 144).  webadict -does- make a good point that keeping quiet about a survivor is not a good idea.  Survivors can (and will) stab you in the back, regardless of your team.  I'm not sure that if fillipk keeping quiet indicates that he is scum or just an idiot lacking experience.  Said he would prefer a TBF lynch (on grounds of laziness), but is still voting for RattyB?  Agrees with Leafsnail 100% about doll, but isn't voting doll either (it would be bandwagoning?).  Seems like he could be more concerned with being agreeable rather than focused on scumhunting.  Gut feels like this could be inexperienced scum play.

Shakerag: top kek

Tiruin: Obligatory "I can never read Tiruin".  Claims she doesn't have a killing role.  And ... that's about it.  Isn't pushing on any particular lead it seems.  Doesn't have a vote out there presently, but I don't -think- that's unusual for her.  Pretty much neutral read.

Persus13: voting hector13 because there can be only one "13" because his reasons for going after TBF are weak.  Never answered my RVS question.  Not a lot of content to work with.  Speculatively, were I scum, hector13 would seem like a safe target to go after.  Gut feeling of leaning scum, but hard to say on D1.

Deus Asmoth: Voting for TBF for ... kind of not being consistent.  Feels like fairly standard play for him.  Not overly aggressive, but not overly defensive either.  He might be up there with Tiruin for "hard to get a read on".  I'm not totally keen on his case on TBF, but it feels like it's a little more substantial than hector13's case on TBF was.

doll: Oh fuck me I don't want to do this.  Obviously was stirring ample shit with all the fakeclaims and PMs and stuff.  As much as I hate hate hate to admit it, I think webadict is right (post 149).  doll has been doing a ton of work, and has generated a lot of discussion that has pushed us out of the slog that the RVS is.  Having said that, outside of webadict, I don't think most of us are going to trust doll in the long term.  What doll did was effective in a short-term sense, but I think it will come back to haunt him in the long term.  It is quite possible that doll isn't scum, but I don't think I'll be able to trust what he says in the future; so the longer he stays around the more of a liability he may become.  May not be the best choice for a lynch (at least now), but I won't be upset if he gets killed.  Also, I have a weird feeling like doll could be the alt of some other player from here, created to allow performing a crazy gambit without having the player's established meta affecting said gambit (like maybe Toaster or Jim).

webadict: wubba's gonna wub.  Seriously though, I think it's safe to say that webadict is regarded as one of the top players in the forum.  I think it can feel a little hard at times to not be intimidated by his presence, and it can be easy to slip into a mindset of "well if webadict says it's so, it must be so".  Which is partly why I didn't want to agree with his assessment of doll for a while.  But I don't want to fall into a mindset of "webadict is a master manipulator and I can't trust anything he says" either. So, moving on, says that claiming miller as your first post is a strong towntell.  Votes for hector13, also says fillipk would be an okay lynch.  No reason for hector13 outside of being "fishy".  Flips to fillipk due to his willingness to potentially not out a survivor.  Claims he fullclaimed to doll via PM, doll fullclaimed to him, and is convinced doll is town.  Also claimed that he would let doll have "any discretion on actions I will perform".  Thinks that lynching TBF is a stupid mistake.  In response to TDS about fullclaiming to doll, webadict states "You have to play unfairly to get an advantage sometimes".  Thinks that I am probably town after drunken shitposting.  Does seem awfully buddy-buddy with doll.  Likely not an indication of them both being scum, but out of everyone webadict would be the one to have the balls to blatantly buddy a scumbuddy.  Unsurprisingly, hard to say where he leans one way or another.

Leafsnail: Claimed kook on his first post.  Was first player to claim kook.  Certainly experienced enough to try and claim kook while scum.  However, claims he was ignorant of previous miller/kook discussions and likely wouldn't claim kook as scum, but may in the future.  Interestingly, states that "having your wincon changed is a lot less fun in practice than it is in theory", but when asked by doll remarks that he "probably wouldn't be sad" if his wincon changed halfway through the game.  The latter is in reference to this specific game, however, which he pegs as town not having the best of chances to win.  Votes for doll for anti-town behaviour.  Claims to vote for anyone caught in a lie.  Switches from doll to me due to active-lurking and trying to avoid attention.  Suspicious of fillipk for similar reasons.  Hasn't really engaged with many players outside of RVS questions. 

IronyOwl: Voted for TBF.  Reasons not terribly clear.  Does feel like he's asking some potentially loaded questions to TBF.  Asking questions, but (and this is vague, I know) it just doesn't feel like there's any weight behind them.  Not terribly active.  Leaning scum, because it feels like he may be trying to not stand out. 
PPE: Aw, fuck you.  I'm not changing this for now.

RattyB: Yeah.  So.  Voted me because I seem "eager to take charge".  Not posting often or with much content.  Votes fillipk.  Feels like hector13 is definitely scum, but thinks fillipk should be lynched first because he perceives "him as more of a threat".  Could be argued that he's buddying TBF.  Thinks IronyOwl is trying to gain his trust? (wtf?)  Clearly a clueless newbie, but hard to say if noobtown or noobscum.  Gut feeling is sliiiightly toward scum.

4maskwolf:  Seems suspicious of two kooks and one cup in the same game.  Calling out claims of inactivity in regards to his own inactivity.  Mostly responding to questions and navel gazing.  Says he's going to reread the thread with a fine-tooth comb.  Has not posted anything of significance since.  Has not voted yet.  Could be active-lurking.  Hard to say given lack of content.  Not inclined to lean town, at least.

TheBiggerFish: Lazy.  Should arguably not be joining mafia games if he is only going to play on his phone and not put in the effort to construct better posts.  Thinks doll is town, despite shenanigans.  Mostly talking about "yes, I did ask some questions" and how hard it is to quote on the phone.  Seems to think he'll get to "actual scumhunting" after the first flip.  Mostly spent time defending himself and little time pressuring any other players.  His actions make me feel like he's leaning toward scum, but gut feeling says otherwise.  Either way, likely wouldn't be a bad thing if he got killed off.

Leafsnail: So despite saying you think anyone being caught in a lie is scum and you'll vote for them, why are you no longer voting for doll?  Does doll get a pass for some reason?  Are there other exceptions to your "always vote for liars" rule?

webadict: Why did you vote for hector13 originally?

fillipk: Why are you still voting for RattyB?

4maskwolf: Find your fine-tooth comb yet? 

IronyOwl: You haven't said much of anything on the whole doll gambit business.  What's your analysis of both doll's actions and the general response to them?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »

The Whiteboard
fillipk: doll, hector13, RattyB, webadict
hector13: Persus13
IronyOwl: IronyOwl
RattyB: fillipk
Shakerag: Leafsnail
TheBiggerFish: Deus Asmoth

Day has been Extended to ~5pm Pacific Friday. There are no more extensions remaining for this day.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »

@IronyOwl: It's not that I'm not going to start playing till D2, it's that I like to have some form of solid information to go on to scumhunt.  Like investigative results, or flips.

I believe I did address their loadedness.  See:

What difference do you see between doing something about the focus on yourself (which you see as unhelpful) and shifting the focus off yourself?

What have you done to find scum? What do you plan to do to find scum? What have you done to shift the focus off of yourself? What do you plan to do to shift the focus off of yourself?
I haven't had much chance to - especially what with major focuses of this RVS being me, and someone I'm pretty certain is town. 
Did you mean someone other than Doll with that second part, or do you think it is helpful to have one of the major foci of the day be someone you are fairly certain is town?
Pretty much, word choice.  Connotations and stuff.  But either way, I don't think I should need to do anything about the focus on myself except play - that is, that what I'm already doing - at least, what I'm doing right now - should, you know, prove the suspicions groundless.  Actively "shifting focus off" myself implies that there are reasons for focus to be on myself.  And honestly, it was somewhat of a complaint that hector was tunneling (at least IMO).

I meant Doll.

@Shakerag:Well, you try it.

Additional post coming up, I think.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2017, 03:14:42 pm »

RattyB: Your word choice is very suspicious.

Why is fillipk "more of a threat", exactly?  How is fillipk more of a threat?
Sigtext

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »

Okay, Went back through the thread half to get a good read on other players half to see what everyone has actually done. Unvote

Spoiler: Hector13 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TDS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shakerag (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Persus13 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Deus Asmoth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Doll (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Webadict (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leafsnail (click to show/hide)
fillipk has been giving me somewhat similar vibes but I'll need to reread and think about his posts more carefully.
How do you think the town should respond to you and I claiming kook in the short-, medium-, and long-term in this game? Say, D1 + N1, D2-N3, and D4+ respectively.
I don't think they should really do anything differently except not investigate us if they're agents (and maybe investigate us if they have kook bypassing inspections).
[/quote]When he switches to shakerag because he thinks shakerag is scum instead of Doll.  However this contradicts a lot of what he said earlier about town not lying.  also he hasn't been pressuring Doll after they started playing normally, seems a bit weird but I guess he thinks that Doll is more anti-town then scum.[/spoiler]

Spoiler: Irony Owl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RattyB (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 4maskwolf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TheBiggerFish (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Why I'm Not Scum (click to show/hide)

Just so its not in a spoiler tag Hector13
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2017, 04:31:46 pm »

Leafsnail: Claimed kook on his first post.  Was first player to claim kook.  Certainly experienced enough to try and claim kook while scum.  However, claims he was ignorant of previous miller/kook discussions and likely wouldn't claim kook as scum, but may in the future.  Interestingly, states that "having your wincon changed is a lot less fun in practice than it is in theory", but when asked by doll remarks that he "probably wouldn't be sad" if his wincon changed halfway through the game.  The latter is in reference to this specific game, however, which he pegs as town not having the best of chances to win.  Votes for doll for anti-town behaviour.  Claims to vote for anyone caught in a lie.  Switches from doll to me due to active-lurking and trying to avoid attention.  Suspicious of fillipk for similar reasons.  Hasn't really engaged with many players outside of RVS questions.
So what's your read? You've made a bunch of insinuations in your post as if to discredit your attacker but you aren't actually making the accusation.

Why haven't you voted for anyone? You've listed 4 players as leaning scum (fillipk, Persus13, IronyOwl, RattyB), plus me who you're making insinuations about, plus three players who you wouldn't mind having die due to their playstyle (TheDarkStar, doll, TheBiggerFish). That's 8 out of the 10 other players in the game. Surely you should be happy to vote for one of those people?

To me it looks a lot more like you're feeling around for a safe place to plant your vote (keeping your options open) than you're genuinely trying to identify scum.
Leafsnail: So despite saying you think anyone being caught in a lie is scum and you'll vote for them, why are you no longer voting for doll?  Does doll get a pass for some reason?  Are there other exceptions to your "always vote for liars" rule?
He wasn't caught in a lie due to contradictory evidence, he just simmered down. If he is prepared to stop playing like a complete idiot going forwards then a policy lynch isn't necessary.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2017, 04:34:04 pm »

EBWOP: 13 other players, not 10.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57