Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Evolution, /tg/ style  (Read 28958 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution, /tg/ style
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2019, 04:21:09 pm »

-snip-
Ooh a little misscommunication there, I was assuming that if you revived the thread, you'd take on the role of big extinction boss/evolutionary cartographer. Sadly I'm not online that often so I won't be able to mod this thread.

Anyone feeling like it, feel free to take that role over. It does bring joy to my heart that this is alive again.
Well since I can't be bothered to manually check all the species submitted since the last extinction event, and their clades, I won't really finish this EE, but I might consider doing the next one.

How will the species be determined? I may have accidentally created a third species in one of the clades.

I'll guess that it'll be the two that are the best suited to avoid their clade's problems.
it's over

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2019, 05:14:43 pm »

Yes, that makes sense. It appears a second species of Byrdocopedes must be submitted as well. I will edit this post with the change

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2019, 05:35:09 pm »

A few pages ago, I and others submitted a few before any extinction event happened.
Would they be viable for survival as well?

I won't really finish this EE, but I might consider doing the next one.
Please do give me a PM when you decide to start.
Will it be player illustrated like this one?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:36:51 pm by Ultimuh »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2019, 05:51:37 pm »

The Nautorostro Grasperus Underwent some drastic changes to better cope with the new environment, even its pigments reflects that.
A set of filtration devices goes along both sides of its underside, and it gained the ability to flip itself around as it pleases to better navigate these new waters.
Also evolved slightly more complex graspers/mouths to catch its prey with.

(I hope this wasn't too many changes.)

Due to running low on food, Nautorostro Grasperus has eventually stopped growing 2 of its mouths so it would need less food to live and allow lower metabolism to save energy.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2019, 01:32:46 pm »

The Autismo Autorostro evolved to become the Autismo Mondobabilo. It has changed the way it body works to be more streamlined, also it has grown a mouth belly where it keeps its young in times of danger.
Autismo autorostro pueris

Because food is getting scarce, a subspecies of Autismo autorostro has formed, the first four children to hatch eat the other eggs, and their parent before they start hunting. Because of this, their populations are lower, however there arent't as many of them, so prey has time to recover before it is hunted to extinction. The subspecies name is pueris, for "four children" to reflect the amount of children that survive

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2019, 01:58:00 pm »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2019, 02:05:55 pm »

Autismo mondobabilo is in the third era, I thought that creatures in the third era can be edited. If this is incorrect, I'd be happy to delete the creatures that are invalid. Can I only edit those that are the most derived?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2019, 02:07:42 pm »

Ah, sorry. My mistake.
It is still very much existing, I just realized that myself.

Edit: That tree is so large, that it took me a while to locate. Maybe we should make it smaller if we are to continue?
Small enough to see everything, but with each species big enough to distinguish them from each other.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:16:35 pm by Ultimuh »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2019, 05:04:46 pm »

-snip-
That tree is so large, that it took me a while to locate. Maybe we should make it smaller if we are to continue?
Small enough to see everything, but with each species big enough to distinguish them from each other.

I think it's fine.

Also, in the current tree, there are only 14 different species which haven't had anything evolve from them yet. While it's over 3x the initial amount, we could have more biodiversity. Don't feel afraid to branch out if possible. There have been 9 'branches' of species that haven't had any creatures evolve from their last generation of evolutions before they got pwned by extinction events.

Just some (useless) data that may or may not be important to the state of choosing stuff to evolve creatures from.
it's over

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2019, 05:46:10 pm »

-snip-
That tree is so large, that it took me a while to locate. Maybe we should make it smaller if we are to continue?

I think it's fine.

Also, in the current tree, there are only 14 different species which haven't had anything evolve from them yet. While it's over 3x the initial amount, we could have more biodiversity. Don't feel afraid to branch out if possible. There have been 9 'branches' of species that haven't had any creatures evolve from their last generation of evolutions before they got pwned by extinction events.

Just some (useless) data that may or may not be important to the state of choosing stuff to evolve creatures from.
I’ve been trying this, evolving creatures from the (currently) basal branches of each class or from derived branches that had fewer species relative to their cousins

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2019, 06:51:05 pm »

-how much snip can a snipchuck chuck if a snipchuck could chuck snip-
I’ve been trying this, evolving creatures from the (currently) basal branches of each class or from derived branches that had fewer species relative to their cousins
Hopefully once the GM tells us when we can stop submitting creatures we can have a new evolution tree.
it's over

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2019, 07:23:44 pm »

The Bloopfish signumcaudus get more tails with bioluminescent spots to better attract mates, the ones with more tails attract more, this also works as a light to better see in the darkness of the seafloor.

Sinking to the deepest depths, the Bloopfish attaches itself to the ocean's floor. There, the species undergoes a massive change.
This new iteration is called Bloopfan Seaflooris. Where it glows in a bright green color in order to attract tiny specks of prey, which it catches with its undulating fans.
An opening in its center reveals several eyes, which it uses to spot any incoming danger. Which at that moment, it will close up its fans and retract them into its presumably safe shell.

Edit:
Due to the nature of this event, two species from every clade will survive into the next period of time. There is however, no time limit. Because there is such a limited amount of free spots, players are forbidden to evolve two species from the same clade.
Hmm.. That puts a cog in the wheels here.. I got an idea and went with it without noticing that rule.
Is it still applied even if the game have been down for so long?

Edit2: Should the rule still apply, I forgo the previous species I made for that clade (Updown Umbrellis Burromoreis), in favor of this new one (Bloopfan Seaflooris).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:07:15 pm by Ultimuh »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2019, 08:10:02 pm »

I think lord_lemonpie should check the submitted species to see which 2 from each Claude are fit to survive this extinction event, since we accidentally broke the rules. I think we should compile all post extinction submissions in a post and compare them to figure out which 2 from each clade survives. I will compile them into this post.
Spoiler:  Terrestrius Cactfus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Polypolyp foliumspika (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Bloopfan Seaflooris (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:24:32 am by Naturegirl1999 »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2019, 08:15:28 pm »

PTW, maybe add random eyes later, idk

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:55 pm »

I think lord_lemonpie should check the submitted species to see which 2 from each Claude are fit to survive this extinction event, since we accidentally broke the rules. I think we should compile all post extinction submissions in a post and compare them to figure out which 2 from each clade survives. I will compile them into this post.
You should probably put them in spoilers, since that post is so large.
Forgot to mention, there is one clade that seems to be missing a new evolutions, and that is that worm-like one.

Edit: Also, as I previously mentioned.. Please disregard Updown Umbrellis Burromoreis that I made years ago.
Bloopfan Seaflooris is the one I want submitted instead.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:26:21 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15