Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185091 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2835 on: February 28, 2019, 06:37:08 pm »

Alright. Let's fucking do this. You say, taking a deep breath as you try to see where you'd best make the jump to catch her.
Yes, I suppose we must. Ugh. I'll just help you carry her, and get her to a safer position. Maybe you should try to keep that demon from finishing her off, no? We'll just together.
I've got a distraction ready, but Sydney can't be too close or it'll obliterate her.
That's a tad more than just a "distraction". I love it. Francine laughs as she gets into position for a run. Considering how hard driders cheat, your sprint will be her "decent run". Well, that's just how it goes. Just as the demon stomps down on another errand creature in the alleyway below, you start the run. You weren't that far when you started, and yet it seems so, so far away as soon as you start. It's occuring to you that everything is currently riding on the idea that you can keep that thing away from a woman you know weighs about twice what you do. Good thing driders are way lighter than they appear, but still.
You're nervous.
As you sprint closer and closer to the spider-demon, you feel your teeth seemingly "buzzing as you head closer. A strange static surrounds the demon, a reminder of how otherwordly Jack has become. Hell, you always hated the bitch even before she turned into this. You won't exactly feel bad for what comes next, but first you need to get your shield against Carrion back. Sydney's done good by you, and you sure as shit plan on reciprocating. You're very close now, whispers echo through your mind. You see that Francine is already jumping. How is she doing that so fast? Before you fully know it, you're in the air as well, leaping between buildings as you hear a particularly angry screech from Jack. You find yourself flying against Sydney, and the gravity field gives out as you hoped. Your momentum...
Was it enough, you wonder ever so briefly. You got the air knocked out of you when you hit Sydney, but you think you're moving forward. Everything is so disconnected it's hard to tell what's really happening. Sydney lands on the roof, just barely.

You are half-way down your fall when you start realizing what else is happening. For one, while you pushed Sydney on the roof, you didn't make it. The next thing to note is that there's about a five meter drop, and you're not in a position to land properly. That staticky feeling on your teeth disappears just a tad before your vision flashes with pain and your lungs explode. Then an explosion rocks the world just above you, and there's a horrific scream that cuts through your head like a knife.
Distraction successful, most likely. There are more explosions, but you can only tell from the heat that it's happening through all the ringing. You're crawling on your hands and knees, trying to get to safer ground. After a little while, you finally manage to recover enough to stagger upright and stumble out of the alley, before the spider can focus itself back on you. Your breathing is painful, you... might have broken a rib during the fall.
You're lucky none of the lizards are coming by, they'd love easy prey like you.

...Off the street. Gotta...
You hoarsely whisper to yourself, holding back a cough as you do so. You push against a backdoor of one of the houses, and find that the door was still unlocked. You catch yourself, and as you grit your teeth you even manage to stumble forward. You close the door behind you, and flip down a bar used to stop the door from opening. You're safe, for now...
No soliciting... Assh...Assholes.
You give yourself the liberty of sitting on one of the chairs, before looking around. Guessing from the abandoned bags in a corner, the people here were in a rush to get out of town. Guessing from the blood in the kitchen, they were also too slow. Whether they had a particularly bad transformation, or were just killed, isn't easy to say without looking in the kitchen. But...
You just need to catch your breath.
There is blood when you cough.
Fuck.

Right. Hand me your clotting agent, 40 centilitres.
That would kill her. Her arteries will clog up entirely.
Not here it won't. There's a filter in place between spider and man for us, it'll keep the agent from getting too far.
Don't come crying to me if you're wrong.
I'm never wrong, darling. Say, how long do you think that demon will be "distracted"?
Considering the power of the pheromones and how much I overdid the glitter bomb? I think she'll be attracting attention for another hour. How's the leg?
Total loss, but it wasn't too vital. I'm overdue for a molting, regardless.
Doesn't that hurt?
When you're as old as I am, things don't hurt as much anymore. Especially with some of my enhancements. 
Right. So, you're the drider. Not to mention, medical technician. Is Sydney going to live?
...She's stable right now. Little more I can say. With what we have here, we can only hope infection doesn't set in.
We have that thing that cures impurities, right? I never looked into it much, as I didn't want to start stealing from Sydney.
I wouldn't know. Is it this little bottle?
Yes, promises to cure vampirism... One type of it, at least. She's got two as it stands.
Ahhh, yes. I've looked into that before. Wasted time, in my opinion. I spent seven years looking for a cure to vampirism, but it relied on bloody chaos magic to keep itself going through a system. You'd need samples, and those just weren't available.
Plenty where we were. So, back to the point, could we use that potion?
I'd need to check to see if it won't kill her, for starters. Second, it won't help her wounds, per se. Not to mention, if it's tailor-made for bampirism, it won't solve the... encroaching.
The arm, yes?
The upside is, her shoulder and part of her back will be able to work with the extra power now.
She won't take it well.
If she wakes up at all. Now, it's a waiting game...
We should find Madotsu, if we have to wait.
I saw her fall. She's likely dead. If not, she can find her way back here herself. I need you here. Complications may just arise, and I've only got two hands.
And seven legs.
Don't insult the wounded, please. Oh, and do see that the idiots don't eat too much of our supplies. Honestly, these prisoners should make themselves useful, soon.
What CAN they do?

You wake up again, with a new appreciation for how much pain you can feel. Your back feels shattered, but you can still stand. At least the cobwebs are out of your head.
You need to get back to the hide-out. It's a long walk, and you're damn injured...
Let's just hope Sydney got out of there.

Death timer stopped. But the trouble isn't over yet.
Get Yunikki back to the hide-out. You'll need to be careful.

Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KitRougard, I understand that things have gotten in the way of the writing. Life's a bitch that never asks if you're ready. Regardless, I'm still interested to read whatever you add. As such, if you ever post a finished product, I will find another way to give a bonus of sorts. Jack being more powerful in exchange for better rewards upon her death is my main idea, but we'll see if things develop.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: February 28, 2019, 07:05:29 pm »

Hey, we did something insane for a human to attempt and are still alive, I'll call it a win.

Check if we're bleeding in our mouth. Hey, coughing up blood doesnt always mean severe internal damage...

Either way, we've got a long road ahead, filled with hostile creatures. Fighting them is out of the question, and there's no way to just go around. We don't have any magic bullshit to bypass the threat entirely. This leaves only one real option...

Snake, this is a sneaking mission.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: February 28, 2019, 08:54:50 pm »

If hope is lost, yukinni will know how to thrown her proud on the fan and let carrion move, but then will be a work of making carrion walk the right way

eat a bit before moving, take a considerate amount of sake to ease the pain and go
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: February 28, 2019, 08:57:14 pm »

Hm, I think when we make it out ta here we go proper Darkest Dungeon Abomination with Yuki here. Teach her how to control Carrion, all that.
For now, +1 Sneak
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: March 02, 2019, 12:10:18 am »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: March 02, 2019, 12:37:30 am »

Don't move around more than you have to, and loosen your clothing enough to see if you have a punctured lung.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: March 02, 2019, 12:43:58 am »

Barring a deus ex machina, we have to move around quite a lot.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: March 02, 2019, 05:43:17 pm »

The bruising and your complete inability to take in a proper breath seems to indicate that, yes, you most certainly have a collapsed lung. The coughing does not help much, especially now that it's mixing up with your fluids, as well. Fortunately, you should be able to keep moving. Combat, however, is completely out of the question. You're permanently winded, essentially, and you're honestly having trouble keeping your step. You might have a concussion on top of the splintered rib. You take off your chains entirely. It... It still feels too early, but you might die if you keep these things on you. Can't be making noise anymore. You'll.. You'll find new ones, you can't go without them too long. It would dishonour you even further. It feels... absurdly light, now that you don't have the chains on you. Not that it will help that much, considering you're still limping, forcing your body to keep breathing. Before you go, you take a look inside the house for anything that might help. While you don't find any alcohol, you do find something else to dull the pain with. They had something akin to a medicine cabinet, which consisted of two bandages, a needle and thread and a small bottle with an opiate. It's not exactly the high-end stuff, but it will help against the pain of breathing. Not that it will actually improve your breathing in any regard, you'll just not have to hold in a groan every time gasp for air.
You briefly consider eating something, but this place has nothing other than an unbaked piece of flatbread. Not worth the effort to chew on, even if it wasn't painful to swallow at the moment.

Carefully, you peek through the door you opened up again. The streets are clear, for now. It's time to get moving. Using the wall as support, you move through the alleyways. Nearly every step, you need to breathe in again. With the opiate, it doesn't hurt, so you just feel like your lung capacity is too low instead of feeling like something is constantly crushing you. You reach a corner, and you peek past. You instantly jump back as you notice a scaled foot in the street. You wait for a moment, making the mistake of trying to hold your breath. You quickly gasp for more air again, the pain is more than the opium can mask. You grit your teeth and squeeze your eyes shut. No time for pain. You look again, more carefully, and see that the foot of the lizardman isn't actually attached to anything. The alleyway is a damn abattoir, corpses of both the birds and the lizards are everywhere. Most of them dismembered in some manner, and some others are actually strung up against the wall and sliced open like an actual butcher would. They're hanging from hooks rather than any kind of knot.
What creature did THAT?
Little morsel...
Warm breath on the back of your neck. You jump forward, only barely catching yourself. You struggle to get up, crawling on all fours as you try to regain your sense of balance. You find yourself punching the sandy floor beneath you in anger, struggling to find enough of a grip to stumble upright. You look behind you, to see what you just jumped away from.
A pigman. Corpulent and inhumanly muscled. He is not one of Mantorok's creatures, this is a normal pigman. Rather than cobbled together from human parts into the mockery of both a pig and a man, this looks more like a boar standing upright, hairy and tusked. Something more pressingly is the massive cleaver he has in one hand. Though it is too large, too thick and too chipped to properly call it a cleaver. It's more a chunk of iron.
The fact that it is stuck in the corpse of one of the butchered lizardmen, after you just barely dodged that swing, indicates you are still in deep fucking shit. The pigman rips it off, splitting the lizardman corpse in two.
Come out! I can smell you... He stands here, sniffing the air. Considering his rather large snout, you don't doubt his claim. He's wearing dirty wrapping around his head, covering up his eyes.

How the hell are you dealing with that thing? He might be blind, but you just can't be quiet with how you're breathing. Fight or flight? Or maybe another strategy?

Stats
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:47:46 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: March 02, 2019, 05:47:27 pm »

If he's blind, how about a trap with the chains?  Find some jagged sticks and use a chain to trip the guy onto them.  You can keep moving after that.. all we have to do is stay ahead of the blind guy, and not let him get in range for a charge.  Simply getting upstairs and breaking a hole or two in the steps would also work.  In any case, keep an exit route open.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: March 02, 2019, 06:06:41 pm »

The only alternative I can think of, is feigning weakness where there is none. It wouldn't be hard, considering our state of things. A few 'please no's  and carefully waiting for him to drop his guard. Then, a shot to a vital area like the throat as he begins to raise his cleaver. I'd say, target his arm tendons, but he's still a mother-trucking boar. It will need to be one helluva shot, but there are worse weapons than a longsword for precision stabbing.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: March 03, 2019, 12:47:12 am »

Hm. If we play it vulnerable enough, he might not want to use the cleaver because it would just instakill us and that's no fun. Not getting gibbed first thing means a better chance to get a proper critical hit.

He's not armored of course, so any hit which forces him to drop the cleaver is close to a win as well. Simpler to aim for the crotch than for the neck, and the end result is basically the same.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: March 04, 2019, 02:35:54 pm »

Hm. If we play it vulnerable enough, he might not want to use the cleaver because it would just instakill us and that's no fun. Not getting gibbed first thing means a better chance to get a proper critical hit.

He's not armored of course, so any hit which forces him to drop the cleaver is close to a win as well. Simpler to aim for the crotch than for the neck, and the end result is basically the same.

So let's feign weakness and strike when he gets close.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: March 04, 2019, 03:32:44 pm »

We can just act as weaker and  use the trap to leave this guy behind, shazam, there is the two strategies in one, one where we mock his existence with cleverness (although I really doubt he will put his guard down, he might find instakill glorious and just play with the corpse) and the other where we get the fuck off here because there is no worthy reward for us to risk a combat

GET AWAY FROM HERE
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: March 04, 2019, 07:06:18 pm »

As much as you'd like to act like you're a horrifically injured and helpless babe out on the street, you don't have to. You ARE a horrifically injured and ALMOST helpless babe out on the streets. The "almost" being the key phrase here, mind you. You've got a sword and you lack the helpless babe attitude. You're still hot as hell, though. Once you're better, at least. Sure, people find you "scary and abrasive", but those people aren't man enough to handle you.
You're a tad sidetracked, aren't you? Strange what you think of whenever you enter a fight-or-flight situation. Then again, mostly you're just trying to cheer yourself up through this whole post-"I turned into a monster and feel like a blight against both my belief and honor system".
Back to the point, you try to squeal out some requests for help, but you can't manage much more than the first few syllables. You can't breathe well enough to finish a word! It should still get that idea across, though.
The massive pigman snorts twice, before stomping forward and raising his cleaver. He snorts again, this time with derision. Easy meat. Soft meat. Good Meat.
He slams his cleaver down, missing by just a hair as you jump back, your knees nearly buckling. You were never able to capitulate on it, that damn thing's so large it gives him far too much reach! You need to move, rather than striking at his vulnerable points.

Fortunately, you can still limp across this alleyway-turned-butcher's workshop faster than he can, as he stomps around, occasionally stepping on a piece of his victims. You don't think you can outrun him on even ground, but his own corpses slow him down enough to get you a head start. You need to figure out some way of taking him down, or perhaps you just need a way to get out of dodge. Maybe you can come back to murder him when you're not coughing up blood in regular intervals. You also noted that while his cleaver gets stuck for just a moment in a corpse, it doesn't really stop him at all when it hits the sand. You'll need to hope he whiffs in a particularly good way for you to take advantage of it.
You keep limping along, and enter a house that has the doors broken apart. Looking inside, it wasn't lizards or birds that killed this family. This butchering pig has no real preference for prey, as long as it's alive.
Poor kids. It makes your blood boil, but you can't waste any time. You head up the stairs, which wasn't an easy option. You basically have to crawl up on hands and knees, and even then you needed a hot second to catch your breath again. Your lungs burn so damn much...
You look around for anything that might help you against this monster of a pig, but you can't see anything. Nothing sharp up here, it's just a collection of bedrooms! There's beds and blood, the corpses of the parents are still in their beds, locked in a scream before being eviscerated. The children's bedrooms are empty, though the doors are similarly splintered. They must have been hiding...
Good Gods.

You hear heavy stomping at the stairs. That thing is getting closer, and you don't see any place to tie up your chains to set him up for a trip! Limping into the parent's bedroom, you look for any kind of emergency weapon. The father must have had a dagger or something, right? The pig is slow on the stairs, but you don't exactly relish jumping out another window. Just as you're about to start running to the window, however...
Hey! Lady... Get under the bed, he can't smell us there! You hear. A young voice, that's for sure. You look down and see a child, no more than 12 years old, gesturing for you to get under the bed. Considering that you're breathing like an asthmatic rhino, you doubt it'll help, but...

Stats
Neat stuff I do:

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: March 04, 2019, 07:14:04 pm »

...hear me out real quick

What if we use the kid as meat to distract the pig.
It's cruel, and savage, and I don't know why it came to mind, but it can't be worse than Carrion, one of our few other options.

I'm sorry I even said this.

Edit: Uh, hold up, is it possible this child is more powerful than he seems? It would appear that the first time this beast came through he hid and survived... Should we hide with him?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:23:37 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 216