Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185074 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2865 on: March 12, 2019, 07:43:48 pm »

Just let the kid fix something that cripples us the most (but not the lung) and let him do his tricks, just let him far from the birdcorpses because...

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT

HOW THE KID DIDN'T TURNED INTO A ABOMINATION YET?
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:27 pm »

He's a magic user, kinda like how we have Carrion inside us therefore no abominationification. Don't think too hard he would've killed us if he wanted to
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: March 12, 2019, 07:50:15 pm »

..Yeah, he wouldn't have any difficulty at all killing us.

Fix 'dem bones.  The punctured lung is the one that'll kill us, it needs to be dealt with.  We can tape up (Partially!) some bit of cloth to act as a barrier if necessary.

..and if it makes us collapse, the kid can put it back.

Also, weren't we looking for a kid with power for the sealed crab-monster thingy?  Jack could use some giant crab monster.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:35:24 pm by Devastator »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: March 13, 2019, 02:24:55 pm »

welp, the kid is going in the exact direction of the sealed stuff anyway

My initial fear was that it wanted us to show the survivors and THEN transform
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: March 13, 2019, 04:14:11 pm »

Fix the bones, but not the lungs. The last thing we need is internal bleeding before we have an even bigger mess in there before we're in the hands of someone who can fix it.

Probably would take a little less time too, which is a bonus.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: March 14, 2019, 05:16:38 pm »

Alright, we gotta get a consensus. I hear a lot of "everything but the lungs" and a bit of "get some more magic bone-sticks" correct?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: March 14, 2019, 05:26:53 pm »

Leave the rib in my lung alone. You manage to say without wheezing. Aren't you exceptional?
Huh? Why?
Bleeding. I'll die.
...Alright, fine. The rest you want fixed, right?
You just nod, and brace yourself for the fix. You have a feeling that it's going to hurt. The kid takes a deep breath, and places his hand in the centre of your back. A chackra point, if you remember your elder's teachings correctly. You likely don't, but it certainly feels like a good point to throw in magical energy. It's a strange feeling, like electricity coursing through your spine itself. The sensation lies deeper than any kind of pain you've ever felt, and not even uncomfortable. It's strange. When it reaches your ribcage, however, you get the wind knocked out of you. The broken ribs pull themselves back into the intended spot, with little regard on the comfort of the flesh surrounding it. The fractures weren't too far apart, so you're not bleeding, but damn if it didn't feel like you got punched by a carriage.
Yeah, I'm, uh, not good at doing this gently. Just two more!
You manage to hold back from swearing, though a long career of dealing with pain, paladin training and mostly because you're too tired to bother. Doesn't stop you from groaning in pain, at least, sometimes punching the nearby table in an attempt to smother the pain. It's like getting a finger stuck between a door, except the finger is your entire torso.
Last one. Three, two, one!
You heard that last one. It's not a cracking noise, like you'd expect. It's more of a strange squelching noise, followed by a series of pops. Like cornflakes in a bowl of milk. The pain was, somehow, even worse that time.
I'll, uh, leave the one that's messing with your lungs alone, as you asked. Also mean I can't straighten the spine, though. It'll mess with your remaining rib real bad if I do that. I mean, it's just a long-term thing to worry about. You know, fix it now, don't regret it ten years later.
Optimistic...
How are you feeling?
Bad.
Yeah. Give it a minute. I'll, uh, try to get a rib or two from those birds, here. Uh, wait, no. They're like, infected or whatever, right? I've been taking from human corpses until now, but...
...Good point. Don't touch.
How does this thing spread, anyway? I mean, It's not airborne, or I'd have gotten hit with it already.
Fluids. Being close. Short-range, but... But fast. I'm immune.
Really? My guess is that it's got some nasty side-effects, or the beaks woulda cured about most the population now... With or without their consent.
You don't say more than a non-commital grunt. The lingering pain from the somewhat brutal bone surgery has subsided, and you are feeling a lot better than before. The central issue of your lungs is still up and running, but the removal of a lot of the burning goes a long way. You think breathing is also slightly easier, making it easier to talk, if nothing else. It won't help much with the intermittent exhaustion.

...We should get moving. I don't want to be in this building when the pigman gets here.
Good call. You get up, wincing as you go. It's not that much further now. Looking carefully through the alleyway before leaving the building, you don't spot any dangers. Matter of fact, it's completely quiet.
Not good. I hate it when it's perfectly quiet like that.
I see why. Something scarier's *hh* around.
You keep your guard up, trying to spot any kind of danger as you keep moving forward. The kid is close behind you, without his bones he is helpless. Mostly, anyhow. At least he isn't breathing like an asthmatic rhino. After getting closer and closer to the hide-out, you finally spot the creature that's keeping everything else away. It is a large, jelly-fish like creature, clad in a robe. It's bulbous head is filled up with thousands of un-blinking eyes, most of them whitened out. The creature's mouth is a horrid beak, with a blackened tongue lolling out the side of it. It's a huge creature, standing nearly twice as tall as you, and about three times as wide. It hardly fits the alleyways. It meanders forward, having fortunately not seen you. Considering the eye count, it's probably more like that it just didn't care.
A watcher! Those things... Don't let them grab you. I don't know what they do, exactly, but it's damn messy.
No arms?
It doesn't need to physically grab you. It can float you up, if you get too close.
Hm.

It's currently wandering through the alleyway you need to get to the hide-out. You need a way past this thing, but that would mean going on the main street. Unless you can think of an alternative.

Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: March 14, 2019, 06:57:04 pm »

Let's see, we have a longsword, a broken fighter, a horrible crow monster in a bottle, and a child with weak bonery powers.
The challenge posed is a giant telekinetic jellyfish monster. Couldn't even try fucking with its bones because it don't got none.
Don't really know anything else about the creature or its habits, can't really make up a plan to fool it.

Only two options I see are going around it or siccing carrion on the thing.

Hmm. Might be able to take the rooftops, but I'd want some bone tricks to deal with harpies. Given that the watcher seems to be scaring away other monsters, maybe we could break into houses right here and look for bones somewhat risk-free.

Yeah, quietly look for some human remains we could repurpose. The watcher isn't immediately hostile and nothing else seems to be around so we should have some time.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: March 17, 2019, 03:55:18 pm »

Need bones. No plague.
I don't know where to get a corpse, though. The butcher killed people before they got infected, but these monsters... The infection's pretty quick if they get a lick in, and they tend to leave you alone once infected.
How do you know?
Remember when I said I was an apprentice? Well, that's how I lost my teacher. She told me to get out of here and I... Well, I was with two other guys.
The butcher?
Yeah. They tried to take him down with fireballs and floramancy, of all things. Didn't work out. They called me a coward for hiding, but damn if it didn't work, eh?
Hrm. Worth checking.

The watcher is fortunately quite slow, so you have ample time to take a quick look around a few houses. Sadly, all houses are either empty or covered in birds and lizards. At one point, it was a particularly bad scene where the whole inside of the house was covered in viscera. You decide to leave that particular house alone, especially as the flesh that was all over the floor, walls and ceiling seemed to "breathe" and squirm.
This plague gets really weird, sometimes.
You end up finding nothing in the four houses you have available, and it wasn't really comfortable to kick in some of these doors, considering your situation. You needed a moment to stop seeing stars before you could continue, most of the time. The exertion is taking a heavy toll on you, even if you aren't suffering quite as much any more with every slight movement of your shoulder. It's just that you can't take in breaths properly. That, and the few moments of heavy coughing that makes your lungs explode in pain and have you spitting out blood. That sure as shit isn't helping.
Anyway, just as you're about to try out another house, which is a lot more risky to try, you suddenly hear the by now familiar heavy footsteps and snorting.
The butcher is making pig-like noises, screaming and snorting in a rage. The Watcher is pretty much straight ahead, and the buildings are certified empty... The butcher hasn't quite found you yet, though, he's still snorting and stomping forward, being just a tad too far. Still...

There is hardly any way forward, or even to retreat. The street is the only remaining option, unless...
Let them fight.
How? He won't go for anything that doesn't smell like us. He wants US dead, he won't fight a watcher!
He's blind.
The stomping is getting louder. He's yelling about meat again.
Better think of something fast! You need a way to trick either party to attack eachother. Or you could try hiding again. The streets are also available, but it takes a bit of running and if a lizard or bird is watching...

Stats
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: March 17, 2019, 04:27:57 pm »

Can we just make noise and then move?  I mean, all we need is for them to stumble upon each other.  If the butcher won't attack the watcher, we should be able to use it to break contact.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: March 17, 2019, 08:54:19 pm »

I'm guessing that the butcher is clever enough not to attack the watcher, and the watcher is happy to gobble the fuck up anything that gets too close. Smelling is slow, so if we can make enough sound that he relies on that.

Guess we could let the watcher eat us and then it would smell like us and they'd get in a fight. That's certainly an option.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: March 18, 2019, 12:46:21 am »

throw something to make a noise?
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 19, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »

Have to throw something. Get it closer.
...I don't have anything.
You don't say anything for a moment, and then pick up a small stool from the building you were just in. You may be injured, but you've still got a decent throwing arm. The stool flies forward, and hits a wall before landing into the sandstone ground. The pigman snorts, and steps up his pace, right towards the watcher. The watcher itself is looking at the chair with a strange level of interest, and about a quarter of the thing's eyes are squarely on you. With the pig coming from one side and a watcher being interested in you, you elect to go deeper into the house and hope they don't sniff you out somehow. The watcher is fortunately more interested with the chair, which has started floating as about half a dozen tiny arms reveal themselves from the large cloak the creature is wearing, and begin to fondle the small wooden stool. You're too deep in the house to see what happens next, and you quickly go upstairs. It's a small house, only a single bedroom is up here, which is filled to the brim with all manner of trash. The owner was clearly not a very clean individual. You wonder where he is, considering this place was clean of any kind of blood. You can't hide under the bed, as it's just a matress on the floor. The mattress itself doesn't look very comfortable by any means.
Meat. I can smell you. You hear, just below you. Oh shit
Bad meat. Tricky meat.
Heavy steps resound from the stairs, and the kid is starting to visibly panic. He's looking for a way out, but...
You're trapped. Why did you think that pig would go to any old noise!? Well, you still have your sword. All he has is strength, resilience, the ability to breathe, surprising speed and not being injured to the point of being incapable of battle!
Yeah.
Oh God.

You do have one way out. Something you're almost sure of will get you out of this jam. But you promised yourself not to go there. But just thinking of him makes him scratch at the back of your mind. It makes you hungry, desperate, and most of all, plain angry. How the hell did you get this far to die from falling off a roof and having some FUCK think he can make you into a meal!? Fuck that. You made a vow, sure, but you know what? Survival beats it out. You're not going to lie down and die like this. Sydney can save you, anyhow. She always does
Hide. In the trash. Make sure I can't see you.
You can't see me? What are going to do?
Your only response is a warbled croak as your throat swells in a grotesque manner. Feathers begin to sprout over your body, and everything just expands. Your bones crack and reform painfully, your flesh tears and mends. Your mind itself twists into nothing but thoughts of food and safety. Your prey in front of you, the skies around you. Everything turns to a red blur as you willingly give in. You're cornered, there was no other way.
Hell.
If there was one, you probably skipped it. The pain throbs across your body, enraging you just a little bit more, but it feels good. It feels good to be angry, to be a raging beast.
Those are your last thoughts before Carrion takes control, screeching as it rushes forward, your four eyes blinking irregularly as you go.

You open your eyes again. You feel...
Awful.
You try to come to your senses, but things are starting to click as you look around. You're back at the hide-out. You look at where you saw a massive spear pierce through your back. Sure enough, there's a massive scar where it entered, and it still leaves a horribly throbbing pain. You try to move your legs, but most of them hardly even twitch. There's no feeling in them, leaving you trapped to your own body.
Ah! You're awake. Swell. Francine says. Right, she must have fixed you up, along with Sucy... Where is she?
Where is Sucy?
Oh, she's in the back, taking care of a little something I requested of her. It should keep her occupied for a while longer. You see, now that you're awake, I think it high time that you take on a little something I've been preparing in my spare time. What precious little of it I had, of course.
As if from nowhere, she procures a small vial of orange, bubbling liquid. You have a bad feeling about this, but you can't yell. Anything above a whisper just causes your throat to clog up.
You had a fine reaction to some of my drugs back in the cities, so I'm interested to see what this will do to you. If nothing else, it should make you a tad more... mallable. The physical side-effects should be beneficial, but...
Well.
That's the fun of science, no? Down the hatch!

No... Please. You whisper out, desperate to offer any kind of resistance. But even Alexia (as the arm) is unresponsive. It feels like a log is attached to your shoulder rather than anything resembling an arm. You can't feel it.
"No"? Darling, you lost. If you're not the apex predator, there is scarcely little reason for me to treat you special, is there?
You need to either convince, or stall her. You can hardly move, but at least you can talk.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: March 19, 2019, 05:40:15 pm »

Probably should have come back and suggested taking off our clothes and tossing it at the watcher to fool his smeller. Oh well.

Now, I don't know if all my assumptions here are correct, but what I see is that we have some mana, are able to speak (barely, but I'd think it's enough), and a little skill called Oral Fixation.
One of the nice things about being a mage is that it can be very hard to disarm one.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 19, 2019, 05:53:06 pm »

Breathe in. Sighoning Cloud out.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 216