Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185094 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2820 on: February 24, 2019, 01:07:33 pm »

Well.. of course not, but we don't have any humans here, and that might not be workable.  We do have vials of 'blood', and if we had more time we could probably just use donations from the living humans.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: February 24, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »

Or we could just slaughter them for their blood. Decisions, decisions~

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: February 24, 2019, 03:56:08 pm »

Well, I'm in kind of a pickle, to be honest. Making an attempt at saving Sydney's life may or may not make the write-up unneeded, as well as rob you from getting to "enjoy" playing as Jack for a very limited time. It took some thinking, which is a dangerous activity as you should know, and I've decided to keep this particular bit of the story on hold. Of course, this does make the fate of the character rest on nothing but one guy and how I enjoy his writing, so I'll make one concession:
If we return to this moment, because the write-up was unsatisfactory, Sydney's death timer will be given just enough time to fix her up IF you make the correct decisions (that is to say, the rescue will not count as a countdown. You will 1 turn remaining). The incorrect decision will kill her, and there are a lot of things you can do wrong here.

To make up for the lack in an update, however, I'll just keep questions open until Thursday. If you want to know anything about anyone, now's the time. Because this takes far less time, I'll also give answers at least once per day and possibly more. So, if people are just happening across this story, now's a good time to get an idea of what's happening.
Also, if you have requests or suggestions on how to improve the quality of writing, now's the time.

I'm sure that carrionblood is a totally safe thing to consume.
CLICK HERE FOR AN AUTHOR'S PERSONAL INSIGHT IN THIS EXTRAORDINARY STATEMENT.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: February 24, 2019, 04:25:07 pm »

What's that corruption curing potion again?

What sort of gear do the other two people have?  Do we have any of those bombs left?

The experimenter drider might have a better idea for avoiding Sydney dying.

It also sounds like those orders lead to the death of Sydney, and you're giving us a re-do.  I like that, but I genuinely have no idea what to do here.  We have no magic and we have no time.

Anyway, guessing we need to take her away.  Instead of tackling her, what could work better is a net, and a matress.  The net we could just use as a bit of tarp, the matress to cushion the fall and provide more room for handholds in carrying her, and the bombs should make good distractions.  We can also use a chain to drag her, and Yuniiki should be able to keep any stray lizardpeople off of us.  If we can't find a matress, well, we improvise.  But throwing a tarp and dragging her down with everyone's collective weight should do it, and adding ballast should get things done.

Also, Jumping Spider.  Instead of having Yuniiki tackle, maybe our other drider should jump over her, with or without the tarp, and with one of the chains.  We could then drag Sydney through the air, down somewhat, and away from Jack until we can press her against a ceiling or towards a doorway to put more force on the bubble.  That should pop it and then we can get out of here.

The goal is to get something on top of Sydney which we can use to pull her around, and possibly out of the bubble or just pull her and the bubble in a direction to where we can apply enough force to free it.  We use bombs as distractions and work hard.

If feeding her humans is the only option, we do it, but we see if the experimenter has any other ideas with Sydney on the ground.  I don't really trust her, but she wants Sydney to live.

Hell, if she has to eat the Drider..  Does she really need all those legs?  ;-p
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:57:49 pm by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: February 24, 2019, 05:23:29 pm »

What's that corruption curing potion again?

What sort of gear do the other two people have?  Do we have any of those bombs left?

The experimenter drider might have a better idea for avoiding Sydney dying.

It also sounds like those orders lead to the death of Sydney, and you're giving us a re-do.  I like that, but I genuinely have no idea what to do here.  We have no magic and we have no time.

The corruption potion is a cure for vampirism. It's sort of strange in that it will only really take care of one type. The original strain can only be removed if the existing corruption of the vampire arc dissipates completely. It will go away over time, and that will also speed up over time.

The gear of Sucy is intentionally kind of a mystery. However, you can always assume that she has a few basics. That means she has a basically infinite supply of at LEAST flashpowder (flashbang effect, minus the bang) and some basic smoke-creating. Depending on how well-supplied she is, that smoke can give buffs or debuffs. Poison is available in large quantities, and in this case she has a lot of what she likes. She has plague grenades and acid dust for close-range area denial. She has a few syringes with truly random effects for point-blank rate. You can generally assume them to be lethal, though. Grenades are also an option, especially now that she could loot the marketplace. She has a limited supply of purely explosive ones, and a few other ones with worrying effects.
Francine is basically unarmed. She isn't really meant for direct combat, though she does have a few emergency options. She has a dagger, with which she is nearly worthless. The best weapon at her disposal is the fact that she is a type of jumping drider. So her legs allow her to jump massive distances for her size, and even crush smaller targets. She has a few other options, such as mystery goop in a jar. I'm not sure what it'll do yet, it's attached to a dice roll.

The drider DOES have several good ideas to stop Sydney from dying.

I'm not stating which option would save Sydney and which don't. You're on the right track in a few places, and dead wrong in some other places. The rescue attempt itself could or could not work. I'm not going into it right now. The point is, if you save it now the Jack-control moment will be lost and somebody will have wasted a lot of time transcribing things from a calculator.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: February 24, 2019, 05:57:18 pm »

You're really making me want to solve this right here.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: February 24, 2019, 06:32:36 pm »

...Honestly go ahead and solve it, I could do an edit where she almost breaks free and goes bat-sh** because she doesn't get to kill Sidney like she wanted

I'll finish the writing either way

Edit: I figure if we don't get to control Jack now we can still net a one-shot type bonus at the cost of an even stronger Jack later and a few other things I am not at a liberty to divulge
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:41:02 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: February 26, 2019, 04:50:51 am »

..Wait a sec, we have a potion that can cure a magical curse/disease?

That's gotta be worth examining for relevance to our current situation.  Vamp Sydney is okay, but it might be useful for other purposes or even study.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: February 26, 2019, 02:29:00 pm »

Evelline ( the one who gave us the potion) might already be doing it, although it said that the person that discovered this potion did this in unethical ways
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: February 26, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »

I'll be real with you fellas, main reason I did a question week is because I just so happen to be in a period of a somewhat heftier workload. I still wouldn't have continued to the (attempted) rescue, but I would have done short stories related to other places or people instead.

On the note of other people, it might interest you people to know that Eveline is handling the plague just fine. The refugees consider her land as one of the absolute safest against the plague. She does this through a very thorough and occasionally very violent quarantine plan.
It's impressive how fast she got used to the smell of burning bodies, too.
Neat stuff I do:

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: February 26, 2019, 03:50:49 pm »

Aww, that's just like Eveline...competent and kind of terrifying when you think about it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:55 pm »

Umm.. didn't I send in some orders?

..or is it just timing the save attempt to see if Kit's submission occurs first granting us extra time?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:50:15 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: February 26, 2019, 09:21:02 pm »

Jee, thanks for spending a tick on that.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: February 27, 2019, 06:43:26 pm »

Nah, I'm here to tell you that I have news! Do what Devastator said, because life hit me like 9/11 and I'm never getting it done.

Disappointment and a downward depression spiral HERE I COME!

Sorry I'm such a jackass who hypes everyone up for nothing.

Synopsis of Happenings: I did something stupid and instead of taking responsibility for it, I'm burrowing into the bottom of my mind and shutting down major mental processes until things have cooled down. Possibly never.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:52:41 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: February 27, 2019, 09:23:16 pm »

Right, so I submit my official plan B of PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT

Yuniki can do this, she just needs some motivational montage music.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 216