Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185081 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2385 on: August 22, 2018, 04:25:54 pm »

Wakey wakey... Listen. I know damn well that prison wouldn't hold you. Hell, I'm not even sure death could contain you. So, I'm giving you an ultimatum.
I will be of much use to you. You have to know that, right?
Waging the pros to cons here, and cons is winning. Let me give you the option I have, alright? First one: I shoot you in the head and hope splattering your brain across the walls is going to be enough to keep you down.
Would be a waste.
Two. I get the cops in here and have you arrested. You will undoubtably escape, causing untold chaos and death. So that one is unlikely.
Yeah, I know this stuff enough to know that's not going to work.
Three, I allow you to follow us around like a lost puppy, wreaking havoc on anything you feel like.
Dangerous
Or, finally: I tell you to go away and never come into my sight again. If I DO come across you, I'll cut you up in as many little pieces as I can manage to stop you from coming back.
...That's a bit much, isn't it?
Just enough, I figure. Now... The rest of you. What do we do?
What?
Come on. Let's vote. What do we do with her?

Some time passes as people mull it all over. Seems like it isn't that easy for them, either.
I say she follows us, but I just keep a close look at her materials and workings. I can learn a lot from her. Sucy says, in a relative monotone. She doesn't care for the woman, but the science she provides? Invaluable.
...I'd say give her with the police, but I think you're right about her escaping. I'd rather not leave loose ends, but if she doesn't die from what we can do we'll be in trouble...
I just... want her out of here. Out of the dwarven cities, away from here. Take her with you or kill her.
Kill her. Says Yunikki. Pretty simple on her part.
Can I say something in my defence?
Hardly.
I'm the only hope your oriental friend has for a cure. Call that a fact.
There is a heavy silence in the room. The first one to talk, after a bout of very heavy breathing, is Yunikki.
How do you...
We've been keeping an eye on you. In the tunnels, when you transformed? I recognized the condition, I read about it. It will take me a long time, but I can fix you eventually. I've done greater things than that before.
You... You BITCH! FUCK! FINE! I SAY KEEP HER. Yunikki stomps closer to you, with more emotion than you've seen from her in a while. You swear her eyes are turning red.
But YOU! She pokes her finger against your chest. KEEP. FUCKING. WATCH. If she does ANYTHING, I'll kill her anyway. And I'll never forgive you for letting that chance go.
Hey! You can't expect...
Fuck you! I CAN expect this. It's my only fucking hope! I want this OUT  OF ME.
It's oddly relaxing to hear her just be properly angry again. She hasn't been the same since the vampire. Still...
I'm hearing a lot of "keep her". Is that what we're going to do here?
In the end, it's your call. We'll just keep a damned close eye on her.
...Best of luck to you. I hope you don't mind but... I just want this to be over. I'm tired of this.
You won't regret it.
I strongly doubt that.
Look, worst case scenario? We kill her a little later. I figure Meandra would prefer not to wash brains out of carpet.
That washes off, no need to worry. Her father says. He says it in a rather nonchalant way that makes people look for a moment.
I still prefer not doing it.

You got to hear the others. Final choice. Next update you get paid and get to do some last-minute shopping before you go to the border guards. Maybe you could get a blueprint for bullets/guns and write that one in your tome? You'll need to buy that.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

I swear I'm not pushing for you to keep her, it's just that I can't quite decide on what the actual consensus is. A lot of "if" and not a lot of "do this now".
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: August 22, 2018, 04:32:53 pm »

We can talk with death and make sure she's gone that way.  If it was possible for someone to find a cure for Yuniiki, it will still be possible without her.  Just kill her and get it over with.  Setting the body on fire is traditional and should get the job done.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 22, 2018, 05:10:49 pm »

...I think we're hearing a lot of "keep her" and "Meandra needs maintenance".  We should do something nice for Meandra.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 22, 2018, 05:14:26 pm »

... *flips coin*
Keep. I'm sure this will be amusing.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 22, 2018, 05:27:59 pm »

We're hearing that 'keep her' is the only answer that'll be accepted.  Kill her was tied first, then ditch her won 2-1.  So we're keeping her.

It's not that I can't deal with this character, it's that I don't like this one, and we have enough characters already.  Stories with too many characters just tend to drag on forever as there is always so much stuff to deal with.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:39:47 pm by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 22, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »

We're hearing that 'keep her' is the only answer that'll be accepted.  Kill her was tied first, then ditch her won 2-1.  So we're keeping her.

It's not that I can't deal with this character, it's that I don't like this one, and we have enough characters already.  Stories with too many characters just tend to drag on forever as there is always so much stuff to deal with.

Some people wanted the opinion of the other characters as well, and you're also tied on that due to some emotional manipulation on the scientist's part. Meandra is more passive, as she hopes the whole thing will be out of her hair entirely, Hal is uncertain due to being well aware that this kind of situation tends to come back (he fought a LOT of wizards), Yunikki has personal stakes, and Sucy is the worst possible influence.
Also, it's another choice for a reason. Most of all, I wanted to extend the conversation a bit so the other part members had a say, specifically.

I'll tell you right now, killing her only has the consequence of not being able to use her in the future. That's it. Yunikki will not hold it against you, and Sucy doesn't care THAT much. It's a bit cheaty of me to tell you that, but I realize that it really feels like I'm pushing her joining forward.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 22, 2018, 06:04:59 pm »

Keep Her.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 22, 2018, 06:06:31 pm »

Goblin.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 22, 2018, 06:08:33 pm »

Some people wanted the opinion of the other characters as well, and you're also tied on that due to some emotional manipulation on the scientist's part. Meandra is more passive, as she hopes the whole thing will be out of her hair entirely, Hal is uncertain due to being well aware that this kind of situation tends to come back (he fought a LOT of wizards), Yunikki has personal stakes, and Sucy is the worst possible influence.
Also, it's another choice for a reason. Most of all, I wanted to extend the conversation a bit so the other part members had a say, specifically.

I'll tell you right now, killing her only has the consequence of not being able to use her in the future. That's it. Yunikki will not hold it against you, and Sucy doesn't care THAT much. It's a bit cheaty of me to tell you that, but I realize that it really feels like I'm pushing her joining forward.

It's not your fault.  Eveyone always votes for more secondary characters, and the slow plots and worse stories that come with them.  In any fan-driven production, nobody dies, nobody goes away, and it eventually devolves into a clog of fifty characters.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:12:28 pm by Devastator »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 23, 2018, 06:07:50 pm »

In-character I don't know what sydney would do

devastator has a good point so this time my first vote is to kill her, plus, knowing that it will give us no drawbacks it's okay

But the possibility to cure Yukinni is making me doubtful what is the chance that she is lying?

Whatever we choose we should give her another act of violence before that and ask that if the cure stuff is real looking in her eye...

if we are gonna kill her let's just say "you're bluffing, trying to fool us" and put an end to her.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 24, 2018, 05:10:00 pm »

I suppose it's decided. We're keeping her.
Ahh! Naturally. Now, would you please untie... me... her talking falters as she notices you coming closer. The look in your eye must be hard to describe, but it seems to get the point across really well. What really makes it clear is when you engulf her head with your massive hand, only barely leaving her face open enough to scream as you start squeezing.
But let's be very. VERY clear. If you do anything to my friends, or do ANY. THING. that another person would take offence to, I will squeeze until hear a fucking pop.
She gurgles in pain as she tries to tear away your mutated fingers, only managing to cut herself. The others don't make a move, and Yunikki looks at her with particular disdain. Even those that voted "keep" aren't in any rush to help.
P-please... Not... Like this...
IS. THIS. CLEAR?
YES! YES! PLEASE!
You stop crushing her skull, but not before lurching her head around once more. She falls to the ground, clutching her head and breathing heavily.
And you better follow through on that promise to fix Yunikki. If I find out you were lying to me, I'll make it slower.
There is a heavy silence. You haven't quite flexed your intimidation muscles to that extent quite yet, but you suspect it had the intended effect. Even a freak like this little monster here should understand that, even if it doesn't fear death, it still has a damn good reason to fear getting killed by you.
Well... With that out of the way. I'll go pick up our payment before we leave. Keep watch over her, would you?

The walk to D-VA was uneventful, though you get a LOT of stares. At one point a policeman even walks up to you for a moment, drawing his gun even, but then decides to leave it be. You assume that you were put on the "trusted" list of some sort. Still, you get a lot of wary looks and people crossing the street so they don't pass you. You've got better things to do than to care, you're leaving in a short while, anyhow. When you enter your employer's flat, there are many people hard at work, getting the unfurnished building in order. The office of your employer remains easy to find, though, just look at the one place people are clearly afraid to enter. When you look inside, however, you see the shadowrunners from the mission are here.
Huh, wondered where you were.
Ahhh, good. No need to pull out the wallet twice. So, tell me, you did the killing but?
She was missing mana... and a leg. She was also yelling for a "Sydney". Either way, considering the casualties and the danger of her magic, I think it's safe to say it's a damn good thing somebody came along before we did.
Good for all of you. Well, you all get an equal share. You all helped dissolve that nasty bit of business and now I can get back to work. I will even be nice and give Sydney her piece of kit, it would waste away otherwise... You all get 50, medical expenses are on me, and those of you who can get something special, just follow me. Ask the employee in the red suit for your money and get out of here. My muse is calling and you are smothering her!
...Right.

You and another member of the shadowrunner team (Some guy, you didn't pay much attention at the time but you think be might be the one with the bombs? Who knows.) follow the little woman, who rapidly moves to a seemingly ordinary wall. There are no workers here, leaving the room oddly barren, despite the interesting design. She slides down a bit of wall (you didn't even see the seams!), types a code faster than you can follow, places her hand on a scanner of some sort, then lets an odd light pass over her eye before speaking slowly and carefully:
D-VA Bonus.
Two turrets instantly pop out of the ceiling, with a high-pitched whine signalling their intention
And guests. She adds, with a smirk.
Alright, darlings, just follow me and don't touch anything that looks more expensive than you. Meaning you are only barely allowed to touch the floor.
I wouldn't mess with D-va if I were you. Even I know better than to mess with her.

The room is one of the most breathtaking pieces of technology you've ever seen. Everything looks like it was made out of a dark metal, that manages to be both intimidating and pleasing at the same time though the comfortable lighting, bathing the area in a faint orange tinge. Many computers and mostly things you don't recognize begin to retract into the walls, and soon the only thing that remains easily visible are some mannequins. She walks right up said mannequins and then claps her hands three times in rapid succession.
After a short, half-second pause the mannequins retract to go under the floor, and soon a single other mannequin comes out. On the (human-shaped) mannequin, you see it's a sweater overlaid with a solid metal plate. It seems... oddly simple for something of D-VA's make, considering the woman herself.
You, Vinny. You have done fine work for me, so I figured you deserved something that fits your expertise. You prefer to be unconspicious so I made it appear fairly normal, the armor one would expect from a Demolitions expert. But it is far more than that. The sweater, here! Touch it!
Carefully, the man steps forward and touches the fabric.
You can feel the difference, right? Carefully interlinked with eachother, this will stop a bullet with ease while still breathing like fine cotton! The insides have been made completely itch-free, with a D-VA guarantee. The metal plate, while ghastly, has the expected uses of one, protecting you from all sorts of schrapnel. My own additions come from the heat dispersal system and grounding. Electricity and heat are no issue for it in the slightest, AND it is quite light.
That's, eh, quite something. the moustached says, clearly unsure of how to react. He still looks quite eager to have it.
With D-va, you only get the best darling. You know that. Now, as for YOU!
...Yes Ma'am.
You made it rather difficult to figure out what would be useful for you, but as you plan on returning to the surface, I needed some way to look after that. Your new arm proved difficult to work with, the asymmetry you see, but after some thinking I finally figured out how I could turn it to my advantage.
She claps twice, and the floor opens up again, revealing another humanoid mannequin, albeit with the legs removed. On it you see an oddly shapes piece of... armor? Cloth? The shape is right for leather armor, but the material doesn't. The space where your demonic arm is has no shoulder-pad, and there's even some slight discolouration from brown to black (with small pieces of dark red? It remind you of burnt wood).
Working with your asymmetry was a welcome challenge, and I believe with this it should add to your intimidation. Similar to Vinny's suit, this is lighter and sturdier than any leather you'll find, carefully interlinked fabric goes a long way.. Of course, there is the matter of the style. I went for a wooden aesthetic, rustic and familiar to anybody going topside, I bet. In addition, I added plenty of pockets, seeing as pants are not an option for you. Now, of course, if you find a way to damage this highly valuable piece of equipment, you'll be hardpressed to find something that could hope to fix it. If that happens, just discard it.
But wouldn't that be... She cuts you off with a dismissive handgesture.
Aaa-papapapa. No talking. If I breaks, too bad. It's already in the past. Don't dwell in the past darling, it distracts from the now. Keep remembering that, it will help you. Now, take your things and get out of here. I have some more work to do. Remember to pick up your share on the way out.

You are unceremoniously made to leave. Well, you collect the (paltry) payment, and the man in the red suite explains your pay was cut due to the shadowrunners doing most of the work. It's too bad. Well, you've got some more money coming in, anyhow. The police station has a few bounties you intend on collecting.
When you get there, the person at the entrance hall is quick to hail you over.
Sydney Aestinus? This is the collective bounty for the capture and the samples you sent through. There is one extra question, however. The woman at the desk slides 115 bucks your way as she speaks. A bit more like it, you say.
What would that question be?
You are heading for the surface soon, are you? If so, we will ask you to take the two captured driders along. We conserve costs if you do the guarding. There is a bonus in it for you.
I'll think about it.
They will be at the exit, regardless. The guard will ask if you comply or not. Remember, they only need to be exiled topside. What happens beyond our borders is none of our concern. We promised their release in exchange for information.
...Lovely. Is that all?
Please don't try to smuggle anything valuable out of here. It's been tried by better, and they did not succeed.
Aren't we careful today? Fine, I won't.
You totally will.

Well, you're a set of armour and 165 bucks richer. Time for some final bits of shopping and then leaving.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

I hope the "we're keeping her but none of the party have any regard for her well-being" is a decent compromise for now.
Neat stuff I do:

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: August 24, 2018, 09:11:56 pm »

Let's take the two driders, We say to the mad scientist that she is going to find her way out because we can't be seen with her together with two driders that might know her

So... let's ask our book if he thinks that they might have something to detect him, and if we can put recipes inside him
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 26, 2018, 02:10:04 pm »

Let's take the two driders, We say to the mad scientist that she is going to find her way out because we can't be seen with her together with two driders that might know her

So... let's ask our book if he thinks that they might have something to detect him, and if we can put recipes inside him

The rest of the party would not even CONSIDER letting that woman out of your sight. And you can keep things in your book, easy-peasy. You'll need to actually acquire the recipes and somesuch as well, mind you.
I feel like I couldn't make an entire update on the little information I'm going to give,here.

Also, I am aware that I kind of shat the bed on the whole scientist situation. If you want a revote to retcon the situation and just shoot her from the get-go, feel free to do so. I admit I handled this rather shoddily.

EDIT: I changed nothing, don't worry, no promises were removed. Remain asleep.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:22:18 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 26, 2018, 02:19:17 pm »

Hey, I'm not complaining.

Sell off the gems and buy some gun documentation. Take this opportunity to learn how to re-assemble our revolver. Can't take it with us, but it's good practice.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:22:35 pm by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 26, 2018, 02:20:31 pm »

If I'm outvoted I'm outvoted.  Personally, I expect that letting her live will last until she knocks people out to run her next 'experiment' on Sydney, and then votes or no votes they'll kill her.  The result of keeping her is that maybe she'll kill someone and maybe some new bizarre thing begins affecting Sydney's physiology.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 216