Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185754 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2220 on: July 05, 2018, 04:37:43 pm »

Right, you get going, and take the cat with you. It's a clever beastie, things should be fine. It will be able to guide you back, too, if you want. You're doing good out here.
Thanks... But I think I... I might need to have a talk with my dad. Maybe... Oh, it's not important.
Nah, by al means, go on. It sounds important to you.
Dude. shut. up. The other drider says, all colour gone from his face.
Sorry, sorry! You're right!
I strongly suggest no more talking when you get out of here. I'll radio it in that we're sending in captives. Oh, and one more thing? The mutation thing the queen's been selling you is completely wrong. It's entirely around impressive achievements, adrenaline rushes and the like. Just reaching new frontiers in general, really.
I fucking knew it!
I guarantee you that isn't the reason they stopped you from heisting sunstone.
They were just scared of me getting better than their precious "elites"! Fucking told you, man!
Shut up and get moving. With luck, we'll find a warm cell to stew in, yeah?
Yeah, yeah... Fuck, man. At least we 'ain't dead.
Yeah. Guess so.

The driders leave, fortunately not adding any more talk. They are some real blabbermouths, aren't they? Well. You radio control to tell them about the hostages.
This is freelance again, giving you warning: We're sending in three hostages. One dwarf, for the bonus, and two driders. So don't start shooting, alright?
Driders? We're impressed you managed that, considering where you are. But there is no bonus attached to that... According to our own guidelines, we're to arrest them. Well, we'll see what becomes of it, but I warn you that there is no bonus attached to drider captives. Still... Who is guiding them back?
Small lady, looks a bit mousy. Also my cat.
The undead thing? Right. You'll get your- shit, hang on.
What?
The radio goes quiet for a few moments, but after a few more general radio noises, you hear control's voice again.
Damn. Seems like we made contact with the civvie centre. Can you tell us how close you are? They need another flanking unit. They're in massive numbers, and even the civvie driders are tough. 
Who's in trouble right now?
Fire team A to C... Shadowrunners are getting in place as we speak, but their bulldozer unit is currently pinned. So, are you able to support?

Are you? (There was a tie in the directional votes, essentially asking again. Remember, ending the fight early by killing the queen is a perfectly viable option.)

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Minions

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: July 05, 2018, 07:56:35 pm »

hmmm ask him in what we would be more usefull, dealing with the civvies that are being used as meatshield or to try to go into a more direct route that we have here against the queen, a even more direct one if they have something to dig that we can use

say that there is also a drider in the cell locked because she tried a rebellion, we think that she might be the one that helped us escape so don't shoot the prisioners, and expect some Slaneeshi bullshit sooner or later somewhere since the chemist here was responsible for their drugs
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: July 06, 2018, 01:27:11 am »

I'd really rather not see a drider genocide. Getting newsgirl our and then pulling off our best attempt at diplomacy might defuse the civilians, but that would be fighting against their culture. Offing the queen ought to break most of their resistance, could leave the place with living driders...
 Going in there directly, while a battle is already under way, will most likely end in bloodshed. Nobody is going to want to talk while they are being shot at, and it only takes one shot to ruin everything even if we do manage to peacefully-reconcile/mercilessly-intimidate/ram-one-elite's-torso-through-another's-torso-to-spider-joint-and-beat-up-a-third-with-their-peer-who-is-suffocating-on-spider-innards the civilians into surrendering... It would probably get the police to like us more if we went in guns-blazing and did the cavalry thing, which would be good if we don't care about drider casualties.

aim For the queen. Which would be the second path? But skip the vault?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:38:37 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: July 06, 2018, 04:29:18 pm »

we're not doing that, command. We've got a more direct route to the queen. With some luck, we'll be able to prevent a lot of bloodshed.
Fine. I don't have official control over you, anyhow. With that in mind, though, we'll send in a team at your location... Also, I'll ask for reports every now and then. If you really thing you've got a way to the queen, we'll try to keep a stalemate going. Hopefully, we'll spook out the armed civilians. Less death on both sides, that way. If things get bad, though, I'm sending in the ZEAL team. Make sure to keep yourself clear of them, they do NOT mess around.
Why didn't you start with them?
They're expensive.
Neat. Also, there is at least one drider that was against the regime here... She should be in a cell. Watch out for that.

You get moving towards the zombie tunnel after the end of that conversation. Traps are preferable over what sounds like extended gunfights, although you'll have to discover what kind of trap it is. After your earlier exploits, the tunnel is empty, albeit bloody. You tell people to be careful around the blood, perhaps put on a mask of sorts, which Sucy was already doing. She also hands out a few extra masks to Yunikki and Hal, but she doesn't have anything for the gunslinger. He doesn't seem to mind overmuch. You reach the first of the traps pretty soon, if those beeping rocks are any indication. Seems dangerous, but nothing you can't deal with. Two ways to go about it, you figure, sending a couple of rats, or just throwing-
One moment. Cover the ears. The gunslinger says, as he steps forward. He focuses for a few moments, and then fires off five shots almost instantly! With an earshattering explosion, the five mines blow up violently, causing most people to fly back from the shockwave, although the gunslinger remains standing, despite being so close. His scarf flies backwards from the blast, and you thank your lucky stars it's not possible to get tinnitus for right now, because it would be kind of annoying.
Well, that's the mines taken care of. That was surprisingly easy, kinda. Feels like kind of a design flaw to let them be vulnerable to that kind of thing. Just as you're about to move forward, however, your radio crackles to life.

All fire teams, be advised. Team shadowrunner just confirmed the presence of a... zombie virus? Right. Infectees are fast and highly infectuous. Shoot on sight. On that note, anything that runs right at you is to be shot. Do NOT fight them in melee, I repeat, they are highly contagious. Anything that refuses to talk is to be shot. Look for strange wounds and red eyes. Currently, it's spreading through the drider population, though they're holding them off using their wallclimbing... On that note, freelancers: The payout for virus samples has just quadrupled. I want some people working on a cure double-quick.
Sucy giggles a little. There's those teeth again...
I'm not heading back with the samples. I am dying to see the effects of all this.
Could send somebody else...

The hallway ahead is seemingly empty. There's a door at the end, but there's bound to be more traps. Also: do you send somebody with the samples?

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: July 06, 2018, 05:23:16 pm »

Send a rat off with a sample.

I mean, the courier doesn't have to be living, right?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: July 06, 2018, 07:01:13 pm »

Could we just animate one of the former rage zombies and send them back? With a note from Sucy?

Soul sight is unlikely to help with traps, but it is worth a brief look in case there is a trapdoor with monsters behind it or something...

Have a quick look at the cookbook. Some chemicals can probably do double-duty as hazards and condiments... Certainly send a rat to the far end and look for an off-switch, I mean, they go through here too, right? and a second perspective can be helpful for spotting things that are hidden from one angle. Tom probably has better eyes, so send them along a ways behind the rat... Then... I guess we have a consult with our best spotters and then take the lead behind our arm... Maybe with a table or door as an improvised shield...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: July 06, 2018, 07:29:40 pm »

Hmm. Should we, maybe, worry a little bit about mister revolver performing a sudden yet inevitable betrayal, such as he's famous for?
Eh, add it to the paranoia list I guess.

Tie a sample to a rat and send it back, making sure to radio it in because rats can be a little subtle (and they might shoot anything that looks vaguely zombie-like on sight)

Also proceed. Preferably in a way that doesn't resemble a walk through Sen's Fortress.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: July 07, 2018, 12:27:11 pm »

We got more samples that there is rats... right?

if it's too much it's better to send a zombified rage zombie

proceed on the ceilling, lower chance to be US stepping in something and our eyes will have a nice vision of everything better
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: July 07, 2018, 03:54:40 pm »

proceed on the ceilling ... nice vision of everything better
Ceiling necromancer is watching you!

I am sort of tragically embarrassed that I didn't think of walking on walls/ceiling when trying to avoid a trap set to keep non-driders out. It is an extremely good thought.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: July 07, 2018, 04:57:31 pm »

Let's just keep it easy. Sucy, get a vial of the stuff ready, I'm sending it by rat.
Huh. Clever.
I went to school for a reason, didn't I? I'd send an actual rage zombie, but I don't have the mana for resurrecting anything above a dog or so.  Anyway, I'll go on ahead.
Shouldn't you send something a little more... expendable?
Not when I use the route I use. They'll have trapped this place for everybody that might attack them, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they left themselves a way to pass without exploding. And what can a drider do that the average human or dwarf can't?
Produce rope?
Be huge?
Inject poison?
...Climbing walls.
Points to the gunslinger! What is your name, anyway?
Call me Bobcat, if you must. I rather prefer "gunslinger", though.
Hal snickers at the name. 'Bobcat'!? Why that?
A... little injoke, between me and another. Greatest man I ever knew! But that's enough about me, let's continue on with the mission, shall we?
Yeah, we'd better. If I start screaming, come pick me up, alright?
How encouraging.

You start climbing up the walls, and soon find yourself upside down. The feeling of vertigo and the blood rushing to your head is something you enjoy, but you'll take it over getting your legs blown off. Sure enough, you spot a second trap as you skitter over the ceiling. You spot a trapped plate right at the door, and some suspicious holes in the wall that would likely spit something out that would hurt. You call out this fact before crawling through the door. You notice something a little off about the door, though...
Well, for one, it's actually the SECOND door. The first door was reduced to splinters when the mines went off. The door behind it is fairly solid plate, and there's an empty space, a small one. If it wasn't for the fact that there's no ceiling, most people would likely assume it's part of the hallway, just an extended bit of door. But with the warning about the vault...
You can't possibly hope to fit through the space, but perhaps you can find something of note. You stick your head through the doorpost, and just above the door you see a small glowing button. As you expected, a backdoor for the driders themselves. But, of course, just a bit too complex for a zombie to figure out. Alright. Time to get to work. Pressing the button (carefully, using your sword) causes the door to make a little distance, and the trapped plate at the door to depress. A few sawblades shoot out across the hallway, as well. Actual, honest to god, whirling sawblades of death just shooting through. They wouldn't have just killed you, they would have made sure you bled out slowly. Provided they pierce through, of course. With some decent armor, those thing wouldn't have gotten that far. Still, leg wounds are leg wounds...

I figured it out! It should be safe. Don't go through the metal door, I think that's the vault they were talking about. You say, as you make your way down. Your party hurries through the hallway, in case it works on a timer, and then people start working their way through the space between the walls. After a short while of careful shuffling, you end up at a door. There's a big sign that says "maintenance". You go through it, and enter almost complete darkness. You can literally not see your hand in front of your face. But after only a few seconds, Sucy lights a bright white torch. The difference is night and day! Almost literally, even. The amount of light is so great that you actually get a blind spot when you look straight at it. It goes away after a few blinks, fortunately, but Sucy places a little glass box over it to make it a little less painfully bright.
Looks like normal maintenance tunnels... I'd still be careful, if I was you. Now, keep your guns at the ready, this is a perfect place for an ambush.
Suddenly, you hear a horrid, inhuman shrieking in the distance. The high-pitched screech is nearly painful, and some people groan at the sound.
Just had to say it, huh?
I suppose I did. Well, again, keep the fingers on those triggers.
Right... Wait, things are expanding.

The walkways begins to open up, significantly. You also didn't even notice that the tunnels turned to walkways. You seem to be in an absolutely massive and hauntingly dark room, with these walkways along the way. With the screeching in mind, maybe the torch isn't the best idea...

Douse the torch, stay together.
You'll find your way through, maybe you can find another way to figure out the way.

Keep the torch going, just be ready...
If you get charged, there aren't a lot of things in the world that won't die of acute lead poisoning.

Douse the torch, split up.
There are a lot of walkways. With a sound system you should keep your route going.

Split up, but somebody keeps the torch going.
They'll attract attention, but maybe you can be the one to perform the ambush.

Other

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Minions

Skills and spells

Alright, I've decided to make a little decision here. First of all, I'd like to make it clear that I most certainly still enjoy writing Web Of Life, and I won't stop, but I fear that I'm approaching a bit of a burnout on writing it. I often feel like I have to do this out of obligation to start (and I still enjoy myself when I actually start writing, so don't worry.). So, for that purpose, I'm going to start up a new game that's similar in style to this one, but with an established universe that I love (Fallout, so I don't need to keep track of the things I invent myself. ). I don't know how long this alternative game will last. Maybe it will be a permanent side-thing to WOL, maybe it will die in a week. Either way, I just want to give myself a little variety so I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to continue. I'll do my best to keep WOL updated on the regular, but it could happen that updates slow down a little, at least for a little while. So, watch out for a new game on the horizon.
It's about being a raider.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 06:23:16 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: July 07, 2018, 06:22:30 pm »

Wasn't this ghosts?

Ah hells to it, stay lit and together than blast anything that appears.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: July 07, 2018, 06:27:59 pm »

The ghosts were after the assassins route right?

stay lit and go back, maybe we can make whatever is charging us get together and we face them in  a corridor or whatever that is easier to defend

and allright, it's cool to go the evil route as a raider for a while hehehe
Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:41 pm »

I get all muddled on the paths, but I think we are avoiding the ghosts? Which would be a good thing, the sewer ghosts messed us up pretty badly, and we don't have any pets to keep us sane this time, and our mental resistance is not all that much better from what I recall...

If you get charged, there aren't a lot of things in the world that won't die of acute lead poisoning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85sWHNbd_Y
Granted, when it comes to lead poisoning, it can change based upon how much and how enthusiastic it is... we can deliver rather a large dosage...

Try to get a wad of silk with sticky patches, for blinding senses, gumming works, or gently bouncing off of a hypothetical immaterial being with enough corruption-attuned magic that corruption-resistance might be a thing?

We are in a hurry though. Stick together, light up, and press on.

P.S.
 Motivation can be a tricky beast. It might be wise to try to maintain a schedule of some sort, but that sounds to be exactly the focus of the problem... I guess all I can really recommend is to set a date to review how you feel about things in a while's time? Regardless, the story has already been great, so even if things somehow went disaster-shaped, it would still have been an impressive accomplishment! And the whole "feels like work" thing is terrible, so taking care of yourself is very much justified, not that it needs to be...

Just, umm, [awkward encouragement noises]!
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: July 07, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »

If you find something you can't kill with lead poisoning, you didn't bring enough dakka.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: July 08, 2018, 05:03:37 am »

If you find something you can't kill with lead poisoning, you didn't bring enough dakka.
How much does it take to kill a star? No, nevermind, that would hjust be a matter of achieving sufficient displacement... How much dakka is required in order to kill sufficient dakka?
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 216