Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185835 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1740 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:47 pm »

Social butterfly with the captain! Put him at ease by jokingly laughing about the horrifying horrors that are waiting to grind his bones!
Ooooh, good idea! Let's be fun about this! So long as we don't dwell on the ritual itself we can probably be coherent about our old war-stories. All sorts of little gems can be found from them, like "fire kills them, but doesn't stop them" that was a fun old romp! Oh, and tattoos mean their special, yes, tattoos very much like these old scars... nevermind, vest in the way... well, we probably have some visible on the arms or something... And that one time in the orc tower, they sure didn't seem overly inconvenienced by stairs then did they! Let's hope that they haven't learned to play "close enough" with our possible siblings to make more evil clones of us ey! Yeah... good times... But hey! A bullet to the head worked just fine on our zombie here, so all these dwarven guns... our little squad here should do just fine! So lone as they haven't learned how to make swarms...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 27, 2018, 08:35:57 pm »

Commander's too busy to social butterfly, go find your team and socialize with them, they'll need to know what's inside there, and the team leader will decide what to pass up the line.

I also thought we'd gotten a bit stronger due to vampire-related stuff.  Could we handle full-body armour?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:51:25 pm by Devastator »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 27, 2018, 10:40:02 pm »

Well, we are the unofficial advisor, we should talk to him a bit, at least to calm him down  "hey, I noticed you are still nervous, in the end they still die as any other beast, they just are like as ugly as any nightmare and has weird bodies, their power comes from fear and promises of better life, but it will stop when your bullets tear them apart, and oh, if the fight gets too rough I have a kind of very rude martial trance, just don't be alarmed if I change my personality and tear the monsters with my hands"

edit:Oh, and ask his name, if he say us his code or the name he wants us to call him (to make it faster to yell) say that we will call him by his code, but we wan't to know his name because it's better to fight alongside with someone we know

later we use our help with the police to ask about the drider slaves on level 2, maybe we would wan't to join them
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:47:04 am by omada »
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 28, 2018, 03:26:50 pm »

You seem nervous. You say, more of a fact than any attempt at small talk. The captain jumped a little, and then jumped again when he noticed you were taller than him by a long shot. He then almost screamed (he stopped himself so it was just a yelp) when he noticed you were a drider. You blink slowly in minor disapproval, but you keep it going. Best to keep talking.
Hello. I'm Sydney. I'm going to be your advisor for today.
Y-you're the advisor? I didn't think... Nevermind.
Yeah, I've fought with this kind of thing before topside. I figure with what you have available- Your talking is suddenly interrupted by a horrid squealing right next to the two of you. A pigman worked his way past the line of fire, and is currently blocked by two members of the forward barrier. They're keeping the hulking beast back, but only barely. Until, suddenly, the beast's head explodes into gore, showering both of the shield's shoulders in blackened blood. The smell hits even harder than the pig's body did just a little bit ago, causing you to groan in annoyance and the captain to vomit. You'd just about give up on him if it wasn't his shotgun that just killed the beast. He's got a good reflex, at least.
there's your proof, you should be able to tear these things apart
...Yeah. Alright, yeah. I guess? That was a point-blank shotgun blast, though, if that didn't work, I...
We kill these things with sharp sticks, captain, I think guns will be good enough.
Y-yeah. I-i'm sure you're right.
There's no need to be scared, you know. They're dumb as hell, pretty much just beasts. Although, if you hear an obviously evil voice calling out to you, treat it like any disembodied voice.
We're not the best example, are we? Alexia says, laughing a little. You subconsciously smile, though you don't think it's very funny.
You mean people might shoot us in the back!?
Oh, no. That's just about impossible. It prefers people that are obviously stronger, or marked in some way. I'm, uh, both. They tried it, I fought it, kept the scars.
...Right. The squad will be ready in about fifteen minutes. Anything you can tell me about the creatures?
You've seen the footsoldiers. Mushroom zombies are about as dangerous as a "normal" insane person, they die quick. We've got these masks to keep us safe from the spores. The pigmen are a little more rare, and they're not from here. They're getting teleported in, if I'm not mistaken. Too much humans, and that uniform belongs to a dead bandit army from five years ago or so. Our goal is going to be killing whatever's keeping that portal open. I know enough magic theory to know a portal like that is going to need a serious battery. Short distances work off of basic enchanted bit of metal, but multidimensional, or just getting through your sunstone layers? They'd need something living, and focused on it. It'll burn out a lessar wizard in seconds, so it's likely to be something very powerful.
Oh... Wonderful. He shrugs in a way that allows his rolling of the eyes to shine through the featureless mask.
Oh, don't worry. Keeping that portal open should keep it weakened to the point of uselessness. The battery can't end it fast without the feedback killing it.
No wizards, then. Good. Alright. We can work with that.

One more thing: watch out for lieutenants. You can recognize them from strange tattoos, and more importantly, looking absolutely grotesque. They're EXTREMELY dangerous, and if we find one, I'd prefer bringing it back here so the cannon can have a go at it.
Just then, the massive cannon launches another ball, tearing an entire horde of pigmen and zombies apart in one go. The cannon operator roars in a triumph. That is a lady that really likes her job, at least.
...Will that be enough?
With the ones I've seen? Probably. But they're the best of the best. If nothing else works, fire should work. And we've got our very own alchemist with us.
You point to Sucy, who tilts her head to the side. It's kind of creepy with the gasmask on. You can see her eyes through the glass, just barely. She's got some piercing eyes when they don't look half-asleep.
Right.
Name's Sydney, by the way. What do I call you?
Captain. Captain Winters, if you need a name... Where the hell are... Ah. Right then.

Another dwarf arrives, carrying a shield of different make than the frontline shields are using. It's larger, and covers his sides a little more. It also looks to be made up of metal entirely, rather than the plastic-like material. Even tougher, if you had to guess.
T-took you long enough. It's the only ballistic shield we have, how'd you people misplace it!?
It ended up in the back of the truck.
Of course it did. RIGHT.
The man gathers up all the breath he can muster, alongside his courage. Then, he blows a whistle and shouts above the general carnage for Team Fang to converge on him. At the same time, the commander gathers up the considerably larger Team Shield. The hordes seem to simmer down a little, allowing for the counter-attack. The shields disperse, and the cannon fires one more shot before the attack begins. At first, team Shield and Fang go together, as there's only one entrance. Fang is entirely covered by team Shield, however, ensuring that you don't see any action. Just as well. You can certainly see enough, as you tower over the massive amounts of dwarves. As you expected, the footsoldiers of the gestating god can't get through a concentrated firing line. Soon, the attacks stop, the counter-attack successful at deterring them for a time. That's the cue for team Fang to move up, while team Shield starts a war chant. They clank their shields against the floor to cause noise as they sing in their native dwarf. It's a song with a strong nationalistic overtone, guessing from the tone and the occasional mention of other races.
That'll attract attention, yeah.

You all go forward, and enter some maintenance tunnels you missed on your first go-through. The door was hidden in the dark, and it was mercifully empty of attackers. You are at the front, with the commander right behind you. You reach three doors, each to a different direction. You activate your soulsight.
To your left, you see a MASSIVE amount of souls moving around. It's a sea of colour, and none of them look right. Seems busy.
To your right, you don't even need your soulsight to feel what's going on. A massive amount of magical energy is pouring in from that direction. It could be the portal, but it's more likely to be a trap.
Right ahead, however, you see only a single soul. Although no soul you've ever seen was red with black swirling around it. Also of note is that the soul looks massive! Most souls have around the same "size" visually, but this thing is nearly ten times as large, a raging inferno instead of a simple flame.
That thing can't possibly be normal. And this hallway, while unused, is still rather cramped.

Forward!

Left!

Right!

Captain?
What's his opinion? You'll be telling him all you know, and have him make the decision. You know that if you give him the choice, your choice won't matter.

Let's split up, gang!
Zoinks.

Tap out?
A little early, yes, but why take a chance?

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Party

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 28, 2018, 03:56:18 pm »

Forward. Quietly, so that whatever's on the left doesn't flank us.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 28, 2018, 08:54:16 pm »

Head forward, but mention why, and let Alexia out if she makes an honest promise to keep the mask on... So help us, if she rips that mask off just to eat some gross cultists...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 28, 2018, 09:32:06 pm »

Head forward, but mention why, and let Alexia out if she makes an honest promise to keep the mask on... So help us, if she rips that mask off just to eat some gross cultists...

and not taking too much drugs

or overfeeding

or...

CAPTAIN
?
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 29, 2018, 03:46:02 am »

Forward.  Our goal is to take out the big one, right?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 29, 2018, 04:11:00 am »

CAPTAIN
?
Hopefully she keeps the mask on, on account of not liking spores. With the mask on, she can't lift the captain by his shoulders and snog him, or otherwise try to sow devotion or intimidate him for the lulz to an excessive degree. I mean, his IS a bit too easy of a target for her to pass up, but there should be limits when dealing with allies...
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 29, 2018, 12:13:54 pm »

Forward.  Our goal is to take out the big one, right?

our goal is to destroy the portal, but the big one might give more XP and or a mutation
Novice english wordsmith

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: March 29, 2018, 03:43:45 pm »

The portal is most likely being powered by a very powerful living being. Hence, go after the big soul.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 29, 2018, 04:22:40 pm »

I say we move forward. We've got a massive amount of movement to our left, and a massive amount of magical energy to the right. Up ahead is just a single soul. Albeit... strange and forboding.
How strange and foreboding are we talking?
Twice the size and covered in black stuff. I'm guessing it's going to be BAD. Bad enough I'm going to change to something kind of... drastic.
You hear gibbering coming from the left. Gods, the horde must be massive. But it does give one advantage: they won't hear team Fang over their own noises. And they won't hear you, in a second.
Remember, this is serious. No fucking around with our allies, and do NOT remove the damned mask.
Of course, of course... Honestly, the tattoos look hot, what are you complaining about? I know our body, Sydney, and it looks GOOD.
I already regret this decision.
You slowly twist the doorknob, and open the door. The thing in the room ahead of you (some kind of parking garage? Nothing's finished enough to tell, but it's a big open space) is... familiar. You've seen it in your dream.

A long, slender creature, with dozens of arms haphazardly spread around itself. It's back looks twisted and gnarled, with massive bumps along the way, as if ribcages are spread out alongside that torso. It has four sharp legs, closer to blades than real legs, and they tick and clank against the concrete floor as it moves around, doing something you can't quite tell. Team Fang begins to spread out, their guns all pointed at the creature. It hasn't seen anybody yet. At least, you think so. Suddenly, however, you see that it has two faces. A horrified looking face rests at the "back" of the creature, seemingly gasping for breath in pure terror. You hadn't expected it to suddenly start wailing.
GET AWAY FROM HERE! BEFORE I KILL YOU ALL! he shouts, his voice hoarse and shrill. The creature shoots up, and turns to you in three quick ticks of its legs. You see what it was "working" on. In three of its twisted hands is a mutilated, yet still very much alive cultist. His face has been reduced to barely recognizable gore, and there is an almost formulaic quality to the wounds along the limbs. You hear two policemen vomit in the room, only one of them quick enough to take off the mask first.
The creature starts laughing. It barely sounds human, but there is just enough humanity in there to remind everyone of just how close this kind of chaos is to us all...
Hell is unleashed. Every single gun in the room starts blasting at the creature, but it seems undaunted by the massive amount of bullets impacting against the thick, leathery skin. Wounds are appearing over the creature, to be sure, but it's just not enough. It reaches the closest few cops, and starts tearing them apart brutally. It's a sadistic thing, taking it's time to injure, rather than kill its targets. Your revolver empty, you struggle to reload quickly. You're not sure if you hit it even once, and you've never practiced reloading this damned thing!

Screams fill the air as more people get dismembered and left behind. The team spreads out, trying to avoid the creature, but it's gleefully taking advantage of its near invulnerability against bullets. Strangely, Hal's bolts are a bit more effective. It flinches whenever the heavy bolts pierce its flesh, and remain inside. Hal has already taken down two of its arms, even, piercing them stuck to its body. You, however, feel mostly useless right now. Even if your bullets pierced the damned thing's hide, you can't even HIT it! You yell through the gunfire, barely managing to reach your alchemist, is frantically pulling things out of her alchemy bag.
SUCY! WHERE THE HELL IS THE FIRE?!
HERE! she yells, raising a bottle filled with a red, bubbling liquid. She throws the vial at the creature, but to your horror it was more than ready for it. You didn't even think it was looking at it, but an arm bats it away towards a small group of policemen!
The second the bottle explodes, bathing four people in fire, everything officially goes wrong. The remaining policemen start to panic, and several have started running away, back to where the group came from. Others run deeper, blind in their hysteria. Soon, only your party and the captain remains, apart from the victims the creature is currently tearing apart quite happily.
You see him loading a double-barrel with some orange shells. You didn't see him using that thing before...
Alright! You think you can get close to that fucking thing!?
Look at that thing! You'd have to be... crazy.
You groan before saying yes. Yes you can get close to that thing. But you warn him things are going to get really fucking weird after this.

He hands you the shotgun. It's lovingly engraved and taken care of, and sawn off. Surprisingly heavy, despite that. It also has a bayonet, although one has to ask why.
Let's FUCKING DO THIS!
Alexia roars in an exhilarated rage as she charges forward, right towards the creature. With a jump, she slams the shotgun's bayonet into the creature. She yells in pain as four blades slash at her, but when she pulls both triggers on the gun...
Fire roars.
The point-blank shot was enough to pierce the creature's skin, and the incendiary payload does the rest. The wound sizzles and blackens as Alexia is flung backwards, bleeding heavily but laughing all the same. The crying head starts wailing in pain as the creature stumbles and roars. However, it's just one wound on that tall, horrible body. It starts running, and before anybody can stop it it runs deeper into the tunnels, screaming all the while. So that leaves you... without the entirety of team fang, and deep lacerations.
Son of a bitch! i didn't think you'd... What the hell!
Told you, pretty boy, I get it DONE.
With her claws setting in, and the added strength, tearing up the robes is done in a flash. The form-covering clothing is reduced to a loose top, at best, as the cloth is repurposed as bandages. Sucy wordlessly helps out with the wounds, putting some stuff on it it to help it clot. You won't be bleeding out, at least. The armor stopped any of your internal organs from getting seriously damaged. It's mostly just flesh wounds.
Not that they don't hurt, though.

We're KILLING that thing, and I'm going to take the fucker's skull and WEAR IT!  COME ON!
What the fuck are you talking about! We need to regroup, we just lost damn near the whole squad!
Don't question me. This was always how it was going to go, and you damn well know it! some deadbeat cops weren't going to handle this. I'm surprised YOU are holding up as well as you are!
He's about one scary noise from screaming, Sydney. Look at his hands, they're shaking. Sucy says, clearly enjoying herself as she fixes up Yunikki. She got pretty badly hit...
All around you are dead or dying cops, their wounds enough to kill them outright. More importantly, there are two limbs that used to hang from that demon. The blades on them still look plenty sharp...
These men need help.
You also notice that there are pieces of zombie pigman spread all around the room. That was worthless...

Help them out.
This captain's cute enough to forgive for the transgression. Have Sucy help out, stabilize these clods... They'll be VERY grateful.

"Help"
Finish them off. It's a mercy, and they're free soldiers.

No time, we move.
We're killing this thing before it has time to lick its wounds.

Turn back and go through another door.
There's victims or magic available,  this should be FUN.

Other
Don't do anything I wouldn't do, alright~?

Basic Stats

Party

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 29, 2018, 06:25:00 pm »

Helping them out is the right call, we could use some goodwill with the police.
But the prey is escaping... No chasing the giant monster without a loaded revolver, and if we can't aim, then we get closer...
And these are mostly slashing wounds, so Stitch should be really helpful. Errgh, let's heal.
Then again, we are behind enemy lines and the monster is likely going to get help sooner or later, even if it is by accident at this point...

Mrnmrhrm... I vote heal, for now...
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 29, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »

"Better they start worshiping me and Sydney. put the bodies on my back and here we go"
Novice english wordsmith

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: March 29, 2018, 10:40:36 pm »

We cannot lose momentum while on enemy ground! Pursue the cowardly beast, punish it!
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 216