Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 79870 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2016, 01:08:00 am »

Overwatch, aye aye.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2016, 01:14:21 am »

Keep an eye out for bandits while Marcus works on removing the cart. Heck, I've got a scorpionsnake. Have it make use of its senses to detect bandits too from its hiding spot if it can.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2016, 01:55:32 pm »

For some reason bay12 is giving me some real hard times actually updating things. Nothing wants to load.

((The logic is obvious--these people are quite capable of taming a giant, clearly dangerous beast, making it entirely nonharmful and pacifistic!  They're essentially so not-dangerous their danger level is negative, and even better, they're clearly fools who let one of their own be eaten, and who are heading into the bandit infested forest!  Lemmings like that are the best people to follow, because they'll willingly be killed and eaten while I run.))

Continie following the idiots from a long distance away, keeping low and small so that they won't notice me following them.  Also, keep an eye out for insidious secondary dangers.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)
As soon as the wagon stops you dive behind the nearest tree and press your back up against it, holding your breath. After a few seconds of no one yelling at you, you poke your head around the trunk and peek at the caravan. You can see the overturned wagon up ahead, and your teammates seem to be milling around, staring at it. You look from it, back to them, and then back to it. You can think of 53 different terrible things that could come from that wagon, and several fold ways in which it might be a trap of some kind. You would speak up but...that would require speaking up. And Being noticed.

Act low key while trying to keep an eye out for the attack.  Stay on one side of the cart.

Marcus is probably gonna be the guy to show off by clearing the block with those metal fists.  I'll try to keep an eye out.. and try not to be too obvious a target.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

Overwatch, aye aye.

Keep an eye out for bandits while Marcus works on removing the cart. Heck, I've got a scorpionsnake. Have it make use of its senses to detect bandits too from its hiding spot if it can.

Bill, Beethro and Gordon keep their positions around the wagon, attempting to look as nonchalant and unsuspecting as possible while still carefully scanning the woods around them.
Eyes open, ears on roll [5]
They watch the shadows for any fleeting movement and  they listen for any sound that would betray movement, some shifting of weight against crinkling metal grass as a raider peeks out of behind an iron tree. But they see and hear nothing. The Chimera tastes the air and observes with alien reptilian and insectoid senses, listening to the vibrations in the ground and sensing heat gradients. But there's nothing. So far as they can all tell, at least within a few hundred feet, this forest is entirely empty except for them.

"Alanna, stay low. I will clear the path!"

"Be careful."

"Always!"

Alanna stays low. Marcus goes to inspect and remove blockage.
Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)
Does that seem suspicious to you? Nah roll [12]

Marcus hands the control crops to Alanna and hops off the cart, landing with a resounding metallic clang. He walks towards the overturned cart, scanning the area as he does. He, like the others, sees nothing. He walks once around the cart, looking for anyone hiding behind it, but finds no one. He walks to the end of the cart and rocks it back and forth a bit, shaking it. Nothing. He checks under the remnants of the cloth cover, and finds nothing but a half caved in wooden crate.  Finally, he straightens back up and shrugs.

"Marcus supposes that there is nothing here!" He shouts back to the wagon before walking over to one of the intact barrels and picking it up.  As he straightens up with the barrel  cradled in his arms, he notices something. There's a thin metal wire running from a stake in the ground to the bottom of the barrel. As he watches, the wire snaps free of the stake and retracts violently into the barrel with a metallic ratcheting sound.

The barrel detonates; to Marcus the detonation is a missing second, one moment he is on the path, the next he is laying against an ironwood tree several meters away, deaf and bleeding. He can feel his heartbeat in every inch of his flesh and he struggles to comprehend what just happened, his mind hazy and his vision swimming. [7 damage-2 for heavy armor. 5 damage, HP 0.] He looks down at himself, dully inventorying his body. Two arms, two legs, body intact. There's blood dripping from several small cuts in the areas between his armor and he's going to have an all over bruise, but otherwise he's unharmed.  The ground around him is littered with scorched iron nails. Shrapnel. He picks one up and stares at it a moment before his shaken brain seems to finally process what has happened. He leaps back to his feet and runs through the dissipating black smoke, back toward the cart.

He can't hear it but the crawler is squealing, bouncing and jerking the cart violently back and forth in a panic. As he nears it, the creature cuts and runs, turning back towards the town and dragging the empty cart, and leaving a trail of blood, behind it. He's about to start running after it when he sees Alanna standing about 10 feet off the path next to the chimera. He runs to her and grabs her by the shoulders, spinning her around and looking her over. Besides a shallow cut on her face, just below her left eye, she seems unhurt. She's yelling at him but everything sounds like its underwater and her voice is an indecipherable drone.

Bill is standing next to the Chimera [1 damage, blocked by armor], both of whom are completely uninjured. Gordon and Beethro are not as lucky. Gordon [3 damage, 0 hp -1 str, roll...20 fail] is laying on his back on the edge of the path, a 5 inch nail embedded between his ribs. He's breathing shallow and hard, coughing raggedly with blood staining his teeth.  Beethro [4 damage, hp zero, str 12, roll 12 pass] is still on his feet, but has a nail embedded in his thigh and another through the palm of his left hand. He limps over to Alanna and motions for her to be quiet, saying something that Marcus can't hear.

Syv, far in the back, feels faintly superior for having avoided any and all damage thanks to his hiding place.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2016, 03:04:45 pm »

"------, --- --- ----?"

"---, ---- --- ---- --!"

"----?"

Marcus stays near Alanna, but otherwise takes a quick breather. Alanna attempts to apply first aid to Gordon.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:06:56 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2016, 01:51:17 am »

MAJOR. FRACTURE. DETECTED.
AUTOMATIC. MEDICAL SYSTEM. ENGAGED.
MORPHINE. ADMINISTERED.

VITAL SIGNS. CRITICAL.
SEEK MEDICAL. ATTENTION.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2016, 11:39:27 am »

Keep hiding, and make sure to check that my hiding tree isn't explosive.  I'm pretty sure that explosion was the wagonmancer's fault, but maybe I'm wrong--can't be too careful!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2016, 12:24:01 pm »

Keep an eye out for bandits. Have the Chimera make use of its senses to detect bandits too. If the coast is clear, summon up the Amber Boa constrictor. Have it patrol the perimeter to sense for bandits. If we get attacked, have my summons attack the bandits and attack the bandits with my sword, prioritizing the wizard if he shows up.

Spoiler: Amber Boa (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2016, 01:21:59 pm »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2016, 02:24:26 pm »

Check on, and attempt to revive my downed comrade

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »

"------, --- --- ----?"

"---, ---- --- ---- --!"

"----?"

Marcus stays near Alanna, but otherwise takes a quick breather. Alanna attempts to apply first aid to Gordon.

Marcus gestures that he understands what Alanna is yelling at him and then points towards Gordon.

"HELP HIM IF YOU CAN." he says, half yelling without realizing it.  Alanna makes a face at him but nods and runs over to Gordon. He watches her go and then lowers himself heavily to the ground. The metal road is uncomfortable, to say the least, but its sturdier than his legs are at the moment. He lays back, awkwardly trying to find a way to lay down that doesn't dig the lip of the back plate into his spine or neck. He eventually settles for laying on his side, watching the rest of the team as he waits for his hearing to come back.

I'm a daughter, not a doctor roll [19]

Alanna kneels down next to Gordon and looks at the nail in his side. She squints and bites her lip, trying to devise some sort of method of helping without causing anymore harm. She gets hold of the head of the nail and tries, very gently, to get it free. Gordon screams as she pulls the nail about a quart inch out and she jumps back away from him, hands bloody and face pale.

"I don't know if I'm the best person to do this." she says, looking from Gordon to the rest of the team, silently begging for help.

MAJOR. FRACTURE. DETECTED.
AUTOMATIC. MEDICAL SYSTEM. ENGAGED.
MORPHINE. ADMINISTERED.

VITAL SIGNS. CRITICAL.
SEEK MEDICAL. ATTENTION.

You'd like to say something witty. You'd like to be a great big man and walk this off or let everyone know you're ok while they work on you.  Or maybe even just utter an impressive string of swear words.  Or at the very least beg for help.  You can't do any of these. About the best you CAN do, is scream and grit your teeth, and you can't even do that very well. Anything more than a shallow gasp feels like someone is shoving a hot poker between your ribs, but anything less and you feel like you're drowning in the coating of warm blood that is trickling into your throat. When Alanna pulls on the nail, you overcome the pain of a deep breath just long enough to scream. It feels like she's pulling that nail out along with a few ribs.

Keep hiding, and make sure to check that my hiding tree isn't explosive.  I'm pretty sure that explosion was the wagonmancer's fault, but maybe I'm wrong--can't be too careful!

You tap the tree carefully, cautiously, timidly and very gently. It doesn't explode. You knock it with your knuckles a few times and then press your ear against it. No ticking, no gurgling or humming or rapidly increasing whistling noise. You push on it a bit and it doesn't budge. You consider trying to light it on fire, just to be safe but reconsider that notion almost immediately, for a lot of very good reasons, you think. After a few more seconds of intense staring, you decide that the tree is, probably, not going to explode.

Keep an eye out for bandits. Have the Chimera make use of its senses to detect bandits too. If the coast is clear, summon up the Amber Boa constrictor. Have it patrol the perimeter to sense for bandits. If we get attacked, have my summons attack the bandits and attack the bandits with my sword, prioritizing the wizard if he shows up.

You sit down on the back of the chimera and close your eyes, doing your very best to sense through its strange and inhuman organs.

Bill confirmed for half snake roll [1]

The world opens up around you in a strange way; it's as though you can see in all directions at once, and every tiny vibration and point of heat lights up an otherwise utterly dark world. You can taste the scents around you, and further away than you believed possible. It is a nearly overwhelming amount of information, but out of the chaos you discern something. In the distance, maybe a half mile or more away, you can see living things. There are several of them, you think they are human sized and warm, and they are coming this way. From the state of things, and the information you have, you immediately understand a few things. 

First, this wasn’t an ambush. The people coming your way weren’t hanging around near by, waiting for you, they seem to be coming in response to the sound of the explosion. This was a trap, surely, but this wasn’t an attempt to gather goods. This was an attempt to kill anyone that came this way.

And if this is an attempt to kill, then they must know or at least assume you’re coming. The death of a few of their members must have spooked them, made them defensive. They’re digging in, trying to thin the numbers of their pursuers and weaken the survivors before they are forced into a straight up fight.

That means there are probably more traps around here, and that the camp is probably ready for you. It’s hard to tell from the movements that you see if everyone is coming here, or if they’re moving around in one area, or if a few are heading this way while the others wait. If you had to make a guess, it would probably be a scout or two heading here while the rest wait.   

Check on, and attempt to revive my downed comrade

I’ve seen injuries like these before...roll [6]
You hobble over to Gordon and step between him and Alanna, gesturing for the girl to move away. You roll the screaming man onto his good side and tear one of your sleeves off your shirt. You rip the fabric into crude bandages and set them aside before jamming the scabbard of your sword into Gordon’s mouth and grabbing the nail. You stand over him and press down with one hand while yanking the nail out with the other. Gordon screams and squirms, his voice muffled by the scabbard. You ignore him and set about packing the wound with bandages and then wrapping it to keep it in place. You end up having to use the other sleeve for cloth as well, but it works. Gordon’s breath comes a little easier and he sits up, spitting the scabbard out of his mouth, along with a fair bit of blood. You pick up the scabbard and sigh over the teeth marks in the leather before hanging it back on your belt.

Gordon has been stabilized and is no longer in risk of dying from this injury.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:05 pm »

"Scratches are no problem for Marcus! Alanna, did you revive our comrade?"

"I don't know a damn thing about first aid old man!"

"Excellent work!"

"Wh- ugh."

"Quickly now, we must be the sneaky! No doubt foolhardy people are coming to investigate! Marcus will PILEDRIVE THEM INTO A DIRT NAP!"

Plan ambush the scouts! By hiding in tree.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:20:59 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2016, 06:43:59 pm »

Good, good, this tree is now definitely the safest object around.  Due to that, I'll huddle very very close to it.  I will become one with the the tree.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2016, 07:54:03 pm »

"Dammit, where am I going to find another yellow shirt?  This one's been with me a long time."

"Now time to do something either brilliant or stupid."

Hide by playing dead near the pile of wreckage.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2016, 12:37:08 am »

Go punch Marcus in the face.

"Be more careful next time!"

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2016, 12:54:45 am »

"A group of them are about half a mile away, and headed this direction from what I can tell. They may be sending a scout or two first to investigate."

Summon my Amber Boa. Have it hide in the trees to drop down on foes. Ride my snakescorpion into cover, or at least behind a thick cluster of trees to hide. Continue to track the bandits using the snakescorpion senses, and the Amber Boa senses for more detail.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53