Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 79877 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2016, 12:10:51 am »

((That would be pretty sick though. Then your fireball could cast fireball. And their fireball could kill a wizard and cast fireball, etcetera. Fireballception.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2016, 12:28:11 am »

Summoning a skeleton that has the ability to summon a copy of itself and does so constantly is the very recipie for an apocalypse.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2016, 12:38:26 am »

And that, little children, is how a baby PW is born.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2016, 12:47:26 am »

And that, little children, is how a baby PW is born.

If anyones gonna bring the apocalypse around here it's me >:v
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2016, 01:13:57 pm »

Summoning a skeleton that has the ability to summon a copy of itself and does so constantly is the very recipie for an apocalypse.
Thats an interesting variant of the gray goo scenario.

Also, are you gonna wear your heavy armor into this or go in unarmored?
((...What happens if a grimoire creature kills a wizard? Does it become a wizard? :P))
In the some 40 pages of material you don't get to see, there's a section on "Shit magic can't do" and thats one of the things. Summons can't get wizard levels and can't do magic.

Wake up!  And then get out of this horrible, horrible town!

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)
I'm not really sure how to reconcile your character seeing a demon in a cart and 4 blood sprayed murderers and thinking to himself "Yeah, better follow those guys! They look nice and safe." So I'm just gonna assume you follow the cart out of the cathedral at a safe distance.

"Damn, this thing is badass. Alright, let's go kill us a wizard. And no biting or grabbing any of us, chimera. But you can eat anyone who attacks us, or the bandits when we find them."

Load the chimera into the cart and hide it under the tarp if it wouldn't break the cart with its weight. Otherwise, just ride the chimera. Then off we go to the woods. Keep an eye out for bandits, and keep the cart between me and the woods incase we get ambushed.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)

Directing the summoned beast is an odd experience. You can sort of feel its mind sitting atop yours, like a gorilla hand pressing down on the top of your head. You don't have to tell it anything; it knows what you want it to do as soon as you can process the thought yourself. And in return, you can feel its mind in yours. The insect is all hard, unrestrained instinct with absolutely nothing else, like an organic automata. The snake is a bit more comprehensible, but only a bit. You order it up onto the cart and it obeys, moving with strange ease for something so big, plates of carapace squeaking slightly as they rub together. It takes some effort to get it into the cart without tipping the entire thing over; the cart is very sturdy, clearly designed to carry the massive weights of metallic flora, but balanced to handle that weight being dropped in on one end first. The first time the beast tries to skitter in it lifts the cart onto two wheels and drags the crawler off the ground. The crawler makes terrified hooting noises and its many legs flail, trying to get hold of the ground.  After two more trial runs, you finally manage to get the chimera in by having it carefully climb in over the side of the cart. You have it settle down and curl up into as small of a ball as it can before draping the tarp over it. It's a tight fit and the tarp only just barely covers it, but it does work.

Marcus climbs up into the driver's seat and pulls Alanna up to sit next to him.  Crawlers, because of their wheel like rotational walking, can't be controlled like a horse or giant beetle. Instead they're controlled via taps on their sides with long wooden rods. It's not the fastest method, but Crawlers are hauling beasts, not war horses. Marcus pulls the control crops out of a hollow under the wooden plank that makes up his and Alanna's seat and gives the crawler two taps on either side at the same time. The crawler makes a low chittering noise and begins to roll forward, pushing itself along like a cartwheeling centipede. The rest of the team follows close behind, either walking side by side with the cart or just behind it. They slip out amidst several other carts and then break away, heading for the forest while the rest head into the fields. The cart trundles along, following the path until it reaches the edge of the woods.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2016, 01:27:02 pm »

[[ Hope I'm not interrupting! Forever and a half in the waiting-list perhaps, but better to get in now then to squander the opportunity! Consider this a PTW too! Can't wait to see what sorta lovely things come of this one. ]]
I've lost control of my life.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2016, 03:19:51 pm »

How else will Marcus beat the living hell out of people without his HEAVILY ARMORED FISTS and rest of self.

"Alanna, keep eyes peeled. They will have scout. We will not be unprepared!"

"Mmm. Shouldn't you have a weapon as well?"

"Ah! How could my own daughter doubt me? My own two hands will serve me well enough. See? The palms and knuckles are covered in the FINEST STEEL available for 50 silver. Perfect for CRUSHING THE HEADS OF THOSE WHO OPPOSE ME!"

"If you say so."

Eyes peeled! There's a scout afoot somewhere. Drive the cart forward, slowlike.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:29:09 pm by Dermonster »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »

Shoot the bad dudes.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2016, 04:35:24 pm »

Follow the cart.  Try to spot the inevitable oncoming ambush in time.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2016, 05:15:11 pm »

Keep an eye out for bandits. Heck, I've got a scorpionsnake. Have it make use of its senses to detect bandits too from its hiding spot if it can.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2016, 07:14:15 pm »

((The logic is obvious--these people are quite capable of taming a giant, clearly dangerous beast, making it entirely nonharmful and pacifistic!  They're essentially so not-dangerous their danger level is negative, and even better, they're clearly fools who let one of their own be eaten, and who are heading into the bandit infested forest!  Lemmings like that are the best people to follow, because they'll willingly be killed and eaten while I run.))

Continie following the idiots from a long distance away, keeping low and small so that they won't notice me following them.  Also, keep an eye out for insidious secondary dangers.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2016, 12:20:48 pm »

[[ Hope I'm not interrupting! Forever and a half in the waiting-list perhaps, but better to get in now then to squander the opportunity! Consider this a PTW too! Can't wait to see what sorta lovely things come of this one. ]]
Added. Who knows, you might get lucky and we could have a wipe.

How else will Marcus beat the living hell out of people without his HEAVILY ARMORED FISTS and rest of self.

"Alanna, keep eyes peeled. They will have scout. We will not be unprepared!"

"Mmm. Shouldn't you have a weapon as well?"

"Ah! How could my own daughter doubt me? My own two hands will serve me well enough. See? The palms and knuckles are covered in the FINEST STEEL available for 50 silver. Perfect for CRUSHING THE HEADS OF THOSE WHO OPPOSE ME!"

"If you say so."

Eyes peeled! There's a scout afoot somewhere. Drive the cart forward, slowlike.

Marcus urges he cart on while alanna plays squire and straps his armor to him. His breastplate looks like its straight off a boiler, heavy black iron with bolts running around the edge, and his gauntlets are huge and heavy things shaped like iron mittens. The plates she straps to his hips, legs and upper arms mirror the industrial nature of his breastplate, but his helmet is perhaps even more absurd. Its a metal basin, pounded into the shape of a flat top crusader's helmet. As Alanna works, Marcus keeps his eyes peeled, scanning the forest around him for any signs of movement. The forest at this early hour is a strange place; the trees are so huge, so wide and so close together in most places that they nearly block out the sun, which is still near the horizon. Only thin reflected beams make it to the cart, and the path is cast in an almost primordial gloom. There are scattered noises, sounds like bolts or nuts falling onto metal plates or the twang of metal flexing as it changes temperature, cold iron trunks flexing under the warmth of the morning. There's an ozone smell in the air, and Marcus realizes rather suddenly that this place would be an absolute death trap in a lightning storm. He looks up. almost expecting to see dark clouds overhead, but instead the sky is alight with streaming ethereal colors. a pastel aurora that flows gently through the pink morning sky. He idly rolls one of the crops around in his hand and wonders what such skies could foretell.

The rest of the team follows closely behind, or directly next to the cart, scanning the horizon and peering through the morning gloom, trying to make out the movement of a scout running off to tell of their caravan. Despite their best efforts they see nothing, not even the flickering movement of a metallic animal, if such things exist. But after they've penetrated maybe half a mile into the forest, they do come across something: it's a wagon, flipped onto its side, blocking most of the path. It looks like it might be from one of earlier caravans, its similar to the one you have now, right down to the dead crawler still tangled up in the hitch. scattered around the wagon are barrels and boxes; most smashed open and empty but a few still closed, apparently abandoned or passed over for some reason. The wagon itself looks to be in pretty good condition; it had a cloth top that has been torn and half pulled off but the actual wagon itself looks intact and undamaged. There's no signs of the guards or the occupants of the wagon, no visible bodies, blood or even signs of violence.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2016, 05:50:33 pm »

I stop when the team stops, hurriedly hiding behind a metal tree so they can't spot me following them.  I do peek out and keep an eye on the people, but only as much as is needed to ensure they aren't coming for me.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2016, 12:49:18 am »

Act low key while trying to keep an eye out for the attack.  Stay on one side of the cart.

Marcus is probably gonna be the guy to show off by clearing the block with those metal fists.  I'll try to keep an eye out.. and try not to be too obvious a target.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:34:55 am by Devastator »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2016, 12:59:33 am »

"Alanna, stay low. I will clear the path!"

"Be careful."

"Always!"

Alanna stays low. Marcus goes to inspect and remove blockage.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53