Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Should California become its own nation?  (Read 14426 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Should California become its own nation?
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2016, 02:44:37 am »

TBF, you just asked us to do THIS EXACT THING, and now you're bitching about time?  You don't even know what you want, you're just scared, angry, and confused.  You want something to happen to make it so that you aren't anymore, and you're lashing out at anything you don't agree with, JUST LIKE THE PEOPLE WHO GOT TRUMP ELECTED.

This election has made absolutely everyone stupid.  I'm done with this.  AND YES, I AM INCLUDING MYSELF IN THAT EVERYONE.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:48:57 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2016, 04:12:20 am »

You've shown that it's possible for the electoral college to result in weird shit in extreme circumstances. Sure. That, however, doesn't prove that the electoral college is evil, bad, worse than any other given proposed solution, nor does it disprove the claim that it balances out geographical groups (especially city folk VS country folk) when one group is more populous than the other, which is what Evaris has been saying.

In short, you're going to do more to prove your point if you think that the electoral college is the worst kind of gerrymandering, or whatever your claim is.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2016, 09:19:36 am »

(...)

Allow me to point out, that were it not for the abnormally large percentage of Californian voters who went with hillary over trump, than Trump would have won the popular election.  It's just that California has an absurd population, that culture there has a large impact on the popular vote. 

The electoral college is in place so that all states have at least a minimum of a level of impact on the vote of the country, as we live in a federated republic of states - each state is meant to be represented in national elections.  The electoral college was designed so that urban demographics are on equal ground with rural demographics, as the founding fathers were worried of mob rule scenarios, as well as concerned that farmers had as much a voice as academics.   Etc, etc, etc.

End of the day, the electoral collage is there for a reason, and was built from the lessons learned of the Athenian democracy and the Roman republic. 

The lesson learned is that rural voters, in popular vote systems, are often ignored, which tends to lead to a lot of issues down the line as urban demographics become the only groups pandered to by politicians, and rural voters needs/concerns become ignored completely over time.  The electoral system allows for multiple rural states to equal a heavily populated state, instead of being completely irrelevant.  You'll notice that Trump won 29-30 states to Hillary's 20-21, and Trump won the vast majority of the USA's physical landmass, including the states with the greatest amounts of industry and agriculture. 

Meanwhile, service and technology oriented states, which see extreme urbanization, went for Hillary.  This is the balancing of interest group priorities the electoral college is there to protect, instead of the government being controlled by only a couple of interest groups.

Why do rural voters need to be protected? What makes them more special than any other group of society?

Are there special rules to protect the interests of minority voters? Are there special rules to protect the interests engineers, firemen or bakers?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2016, 10:18:20 am »

I think it is worth promoting rural interests in various ways and having some representation based on area instead of population does have value to the system.

That's why we have a Senate. (Edit: And to a lesser degree, the house.)

The presidency is a zero sum game there can only be one winner. You're not raising up the rural populations representation to match the urban populations by using the electoral collage, you're simply making the majority loosers and the minority winners. Any "good" or increase in representation you gain from it is at the cost of a larger amount of "bad" or decrease in representation.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:30:30 am by Criptfeind »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2016, 10:30:21 am »

The EC fails to represent rural voters in another way, because it forces the candidates to focus on swing states. Small rural states are red enough that no one needs to care about them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2016, 10:34:20 am »

I like how this thread has turned into a discussion on the Electoral College,

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2016, 10:38:25 am »

Anyone else think the Twelfth Amendment was a bit of a mistake, and what led to it being made a bit bullshit?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 12, 2016, 10:53:39 am »

Twelfth Amendment? Um... *looks that up*

The bit about the VP may have been more of an issue when the nation was still young, but not so much now. Bush-Cheney did run into that problem a bit since Cheney was residing in Texas at the time, but he set it back to Wyoming (or Wisconscin, I forget which) for the election.

Unless you mean the second part, that was in response to problems that happened early in our history. And yeah, it's kind of BS, why else would we be discussing it otherwise?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 12, 2016, 10:53:46 am »

Slightly ninjaed by alternate countergarguments, but still...

[infographic]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw6528WXcAUYX1b.jpg[/infographic]
If half of the population lives in those blue areas, then half the population lives in those blue areas...

Why should land area be an over-riding factor, above numbers of people?  "I'm the only person living on the side of this mountain, therefore I control a whole mountain's worth of votes"? " You live in a tower-block with hundreds of other people, therefore you get the same amount of votes to split between you all as the family that lives in the large single-storey house with the same footprint..."?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:57:11 am by Starver »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2016, 11:11:33 am »

I love that the USA would just COMPLETELY fall apart if California split.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2016, 11:14:56 am »

Nah it wouldn't.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2016, 11:27:25 am »

Twelfth Amendment? Um... *looks that up*

The bit about the VP may have been more of an issue when the nation was still young, but not so much now. Bush-Cheney did run into that problem a bit since Cheney was residing in Texas at the time, but he set it back to Wyoming (or Wisconscin, I forget which) for the election.

Unless you mean the second part, that was in response to problems that happened early in our history. And yeah, it's kind of BS, why else would we be discussing it otherwise?

Election of 1800 is what I was referring to as the bullshit they pulled.  I personally like the sound of the person coming in first becomes president, while the person coming in second becomes vice president.  If they nuked it to each elector only having one vote and kept that, then the smaller political parties would have a much higher chance of gaining at least the latter position, granting much higher odds of gaining an at least 3 party system, likely more.  And if that happens, a lot of the problems resulting from a 2 party system wouldn't exist.

I've only been seeing the argument that California would fall apart if it split off, but not the US.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2016, 11:30:36 am »

Or is it that if the USA fell apart, California would split.

(Also reference...)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2016, 11:32:05 am »

I think you'd have to fix first past the post before you did that, otherwise you'd still easily just have a republican and a democrat. If you had some sorta run off that was run twice, once to pick the president, then again with the winner removed, then maybe you'd get third parties in the vice presidential seat.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2016, 11:41:13 am »

I think it is worth promoting rural interests in various ways and having some representation based on area instead of population does have value to the system.

That's why we have a Senate. (Edit: And to a lesser degree, the house.)

The presidency is a zero sum game there can only be one winner. You're not raising up the rural populations representation to match the urban populations by using the electoral collage, you're simply making the majority loosers and the minority winners. Any "good" or increase in representation you gain from it is at the cost of a larger amount of "bad" or decrease in representation.

But I once again would like to ask why "rural" voters are the only group that get their interests protected like this.

EVERYONE has interests, why are those of rural voters more important than those of others?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17