Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Should California become its own nation?  (Read 14428 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Should California become its own nation?
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2016, 01:07:29 am »

Misko is quite right.

Ironically, the Electoral College going rogueish and following the popular vote here is quite possibly the best way to get rid of the bloody thing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2016, 01:12:01 am »

By the way, no, it wasn't about compromise with slave states.  It was about making politicians have to not only focus on urban areas and the rich for getting their votes, and thus they would need to balance their platforms with rural needs too.  Plus there's that whole states rights / state representation tidbit. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:14:20 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2016, 01:25:22 am »

Excuse me, what?

Statistics, please!

Okay, no, you cannot cite opinion pieces against factual analysis.  No.  That is not how it works.  And they're just as wrong as you are about what the EC is actually doing.  Spoiler alert: None of those things.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:30:18 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2016, 01:30:11 am »

Excuse me, what?

Statistics, please!

Okay, no, you cannot cite opinion pieces against factual analysis.  No.

That theoretically 23% of the population can win the electoral vote has not debunked my argument. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2016, 01:30:58 am »

Excuse me, what?

Statistics, please!

That theoretically 23% of the population can win the electoral vote has not debunked my argument. 
Did you watch the videos?

I presume not?
Sigtext

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2016, 01:35:24 am »

Excuse me, what?

Statistics, please!

Did you watch the videos?

I presume not?

Your videos haven't changed my opinion or made my argument any less valid?  Urban populations are larger than rural populations, so it was kinda a given that the electoral college could give a win to someone who doesn't win the popular vote. 

I again was arguing about interest group voting, not individual city campaigning.  i.e. urban-rural divide and all the jazz that comes with that as a difference in candidate priorities. 

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2016, 01:37:23 am »

You didn't read the NPR thing.

You can win an election with 27% of popvote if you win only big states.  It's not a 'size of state' thing, it's a 'disproportionate vote allotment' thing.

Okay, but once again the Electoral College deemphasizes that in favor of hyperfocusing on swing states.
Sigtext

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2016, 01:46:26 am »

Okay, but once again the Electoral College deemphasizes that in favor of hyperfocusing on swing states.

Looking at electorial college maps, that's kinda only started happening since 92.  Whole nation would swing in either direction before that point.

Interactive Map via Dropdown
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:48:45 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2016, 01:52:16 am »

You didn't read the NPR thing.

You can win an election with 27% of popvote if you win only big states.  It's not a 'size of state' thing, it's a 'disproportionate vote allotment' thing.

1.  And if it was pure pop vote, those "big states" would theoretically have a bigger impact. 

2.  Which swing states usually have a mixture of rural and urban demographics, which is why they "swing" in the first place. 

3.  Taking into consideration the original topic if this thread, the removal of California from the US would dangerously swing the vote to the right - similarly to how the removal of Texas would dangerously swing the US to the left.  The electoral college as it stands, has done well to preserve a balancing act between political ideals, in my opinion. 

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2016, 02:37:38 am »

Snip for ignoring reality.

If the public wants the electoral college removed, then there is no federal force in existence that can stop it.  Politicians can be recalled as many fucking times as necessary until there are representative who will make it reality.  pretending that the government is immune to popular action is very foolish.  The fact that no one is willing to do it is not relevant to the fact that it can occur.  The governed people are ALWAYS the ones who call the shots in the end, because if their governing entity won't do its job, that government can be ripped down and rebuilt.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2016, 02:41:45 am »

Snip for ignoring reality.

If the public wants the electoral college removed, then there is no federal force in existence that can stop it.  Politicians can be recalled as many fucking times as necessary until there are representative who will make it reality.  pretending that the government is immune to popular action is very foolish.  The fact that no one is willing to do it is not relevant to the fact that it can occur.  The governed people are ALWAYS the ones who call the shots in the end, because if their governing entity won't do its job, that government can be ripped down and rebuilt.
Like we have the time.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17