Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35

Author Topic: Power Hungry Mafia - D3 - Game over, town and survivor win!  (Read 60383 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Power Hungry Mafia - D1
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2016, 04:38:14 pm »

Shakerag:Are there wincon changers?
It is a possibility.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2016, 04:52:20 pm »

Shakerag: Is it possible that the game shall only continue if there are incompatible winconditions?
Are there any incompatible win conditions?
+1
I don't quite get what you're getting at Tiruin.
The game will continue until some player or players achieve their win condition.  If, somehow, there is a genuine stalemate then I'll call the game at that point.  There are no bastard win conditions in this game. 
Yes, there are incompatible win conditions.  So, sorry, there's no possible way for everyone to win.
Shakerag:Are there wincon changers?
If I've missed questions aimed at me, could you repost them?  I didn't exactly pay exhaustive attention to the mass of content here.
filipk:Why do you say I'm active-lurking?
You took three posts and basically did nothing.  Your inflating your post count which just screams active lurker to me.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Weirdo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Best Digi-Tamer EVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2016, 04:55:13 pm »

Weirdo, Imic: You guys are kind of in the deep end here, but please try to contribute some. It's not really okay to just sit back and watch a game that you signed up to play in.
You aren't the GM.
And you won't be in the game long with that attitude.
No you.
I came this far. Erase my scars.

With enough duct tape you could fix anything. In Mother Russia duct tape fixes YOU!
SHIT I LIKE
U rike poetry?
MUTANT CYBERPUNK GAME!!!

Weirdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2016, 04:58:58 pm »

This is true. But it's not the GM's job to help you figure out how to play.
It's not yours either. :)

With enough duct tape you could fix anything. In Mother Russia duct tape fixes YOU!
SHIT I LIKE
U rike poetry?
MUTANT CYBERPUNK GAME!!!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2016, 05:06:37 pm »

@filipk:I'm a serial editor, dude.  It falls out as multiposting frequently in Mafia games as I have a new thought.

Weirdo, TWS:Explain yourselves.  Why are you all acting like that?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2016, 06:38:07 pm »

... is anybody else getting flashbacks to roo?
~~~
FoU

FoU: tell me one thing each of your hypothetical questions (that was not asked to everybody) has revealed in its answer.
Ha. Haha. No.
I'll do that once you tally up every answer to every hypothetical question I asked in a single post.

Challenge accepted:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These don't include your most recent two hypotheticals, seeing as how you just asked them.

One thing that each answer has revealed, please.

But I'll give you a follow through: I think, basically, what you're saying here, is that I should not be asking the hypothetical scenario questions because they don't benefit town as much as other questions.
My response:
As much as the other questions? I'm fairly sure that the purpose of RVS questions is to "shake things up", which is exactly what they're doing. In fact, they may be benefiting town even more by supplying me with ideas on how to use my abilities. Because I'm town.

While I appreciate the initiative in anticipating my thought process and where I'm going to go with it, as with TWS, don't put words in my mouth. However, I'll respond to that since it's a bit more interesting:

[1] I note how you are trying to direct this little tete a tete in a direction you want it to go, but even then... how is this helping you to "shake things up" in RVS? What earth shattering revelations have your hypotheticals caused to get us out of randomly flailing, as TBF so aptly put it, and into actual protein-rich meaty content? You haven't followed through on any of your questions, whether they are hypothetical or not.

Nobody knows you are town, and another thing I note is how you point this out completely unbidden. [2] How have your hypotheticals helped you to consider the alignments of the people answering them, either eliminating townies from your suspicions or adding scum/third-party to them?

[3] You haven't followed up on any of the questions you asked, unless someone requires clarification or you asked for more questions like you did with UXLZ. This makes it look as though you are posting for the sake of posting, in order to look as though you're doing something.

[4] This post being an excellent example of such:

Why do you want me to ask you three questions?
Why do you think I am one of the least visible players?
Between hector and BiggerFish, who is scummier?
Four questions. Good...
One. To get you more active. And to generate conversation.
Two. Because I haven't seen you post as much as the other players. Or it might be my bias based on having not played with you before. Probably.
Three. Fish hasn't produced enough content for me to make a good judgement on him, but hector's leaning scum a bit more than Fish. Because he's jumping on the really little things in order to "find scum".
Four. A player in this game, apparently.

The third answer is the salient one here, though linking back to the first one.

[5] You say you want to generate conversation, yet you point out to someone who is not me that I'm focusing on the little things to "find scum", suggesting you don't think that's a very useful way of going about that. Why not ask me about it to clear things up?

[6] Perhaps you would like to tell us how focusing on the little things won't help me discover someone's alignment?

[7] Prior to this you say you don't have enough on TBF to get a read on them, so why are you not interacting with them more in order to be able to answer the question more fully? If you don't have enough on TBF, how can you possibly say I'm scummier?

[8] I think at this point we should also note that I am voting for you, making you aspersion-casting look a little bit OMGUS-y.

I would use a spoiler tag, but that seems to break the quote.
~~~
*stabs procrastination*

Orange [1]: TheWetSheep seems to value potentially keeping town alive over role information.
Orange [2]: You're not a fan of one player controlling the lynch.
Orange [3]: Interesting idea. Though UXLZ didn't take into account the claims given at all.
Orange [4]: fillipk has some decent strategic sense. Though I wonder what "most third parties" counts as. Actually, I'll ask that: fillipk, what third parties were you referring to?
Orange [5]: Now I have an idea for a question for juicebox. juicebox, what makes the inspect different from all other possible abilities that are keeping you from winning?

Purple [1]: First of all, it led to our meaty discussion. Second of all, read Orange [4] and Orange [5].
Purple [2]: Not very much, but the purpose of these hypotheticals is mostly night aligned anyway. Hopefully the follow up will help get some more day stuff going.
Purple [3]: Refer to Purple [1].
Purple [4]: This doesn't link well to the next section of your argument. Also, you're missing some context-- UXLZ's questions were asked as a result of me asking him to give me some questions. Follow up, mate.
Purple [5]: Sure. hector, why do you like to focus on the "little things" so much?
Purple [6]: The problem is that the little things are not representative of the bigger picture of a player. You miss out on context.
Purple [7]: Consider "no activity" to "scummy activity". Basically means you appear to be scummier at the moment, but may actually be better in reality. Anyways, Fish is generating more content now. Seems to be going after Weirdo.
Purple [8]: Oooh, new word! Could you please explain "aspersion" to me?
~~~
Weirdo: Please don't be like roo.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Weirdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »

I'll be whatever I want to do.

SHIT I LIKE
U rike poetry?
MUTANT CYBERPUNK GAME!!!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2016, 08:58:40 pm »

PFP

FoU

Orange section: how will these things you've learned help the town in this game?

How will they help you determine a player's motivation?

How will they help you determine a player's alignment?

How will you put it the thing you learned to use?

Purple section: 1. That has a lot more to do with me than it has to do with your questions.

2. What follow up have you done, son? None. See 4.

3. See 1. and 2., cheeky mare.

4. You have five points from the orange section, and you follow up with two of them only because I made you address them, and then provide one instance of having done so with another player.

What did your follow up if UXLZ's questions bring to the game? Sweet fack all. You didn't even take the initiative and put pressure on TBF to be able to answer one of the questions he asked at your behest more fully. How does that generate conversation and/or content, like you say you wanted in the answer to another of his questions? You're coasting along trying to look busy. 'T ain't a townie motivation.

5. The devil's in the details. In your particular case, you haven't done anything of note despite your excess of questions on situations that may or may not exist in this game. It looks to me that you're trying to look busy, and your responses so far haven't done much to change that.

A specific example of this being your assertion you're trying to generate content and conversation, and your actions not mirroring that.

6. What context am I missing?

How do the little things that make up any given player's position and motivations fail to represent that player's position and motivations?

7. What about my play has been "scummy"? Why have you failed to pressure TBF in order to bring him from "no activity no read" to "an actually useful for town read supported with quotes and shit"?

8. Aspersions
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »

I'll be whatever I want to do.
I haven't played with him before so I don't know if this is normal, however this screams Jester to me so we shouldn't lynch him, without some inspects first. 
FoU
fillipk, what third parties were you referring to?
I would keep it with third parties like SK or assassin that are very anti-town and don't mind screwing them over.  I would also keep it if I was cult because I could tell my cultists about it.  I would probably keep it as a survivor at least until I got found out because it probably helps me survive.  I would probably not keep it with those third parties that don't want to screw everyone else over or don't need to.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2016, 09:31:44 pm »

FoU: What makes it different is that if I claim an inspect my chances of getting mafia killed goes up. So I wouldn't claim it until I got useful information from it.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2016, 11:27:17 pm »

Quote from: fillipk
Well the problem with going after people who go after people for little things right now is that its a little thing and right now that's all we really have so I'm going to repeat myself a bit differently. Why did you feel the need to try and shut down Fallacy's inquiries into Hector by saying it's not the time to be going after people for being scum yet?

I think you might have misunderstood exactly what I was saying. I was trying to point out that calling Hector scummier than TBF because he was going after "the little thing" in a stage of the game where "the little things" are the only tells that might exist was not the most logical thing. The alternative would be not to scumhunt at all, or just keep RV/RQing.

Quote from: fillipk
I haven't played with him before so I don't know if this is normal, however this screams Jester to me so we shouldn't lynch him, without some inspects first. 

It screams Jester to me as well, but unless someone else crops up that seems more worth the time we may as well lynch him. Jesters don't immediately end the game anymore, if I recall correctly, so yeah... He'll "win" but I'd rather he "win" than just be a pain in the ass for however many days this game lasts. He might not necessarily be a Jester, anyway. I remember reading about a role that gets full control over the next Day's lynch after reviving from themselves being lynched the day prior.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2016, 11:33:05 pm »

@FoU:Not really.  Roo was a bit more obviously OHGODWHY.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2016, 11:57:33 pm »

WARNING AHEAD:
My activity is actively hampered due to a cut-off of internets (Due to signal 3 storm) and will be posting sporadically--apologies for temporary absence!

Tiruin: Don't count yourself out of the night game just because the only active night ability you have is an inspect. Knowing xyblot, quite a few of us are going to be gaining abilities over the course of this game.
Well this is good :P If in doubt--touch Tiruin! (Just be reminded that inspects won't be accurate >_>)

Shakerag: Is it possible that the game shall only continue if there are incompatible winconditions?
Are there any incompatible win conditions?
+1
I don't quite get what you're getting at Tiruin.
The game will continue until some player or players achieve their win condition.  If, somehow, there is a genuine stalemate then I'll call the game at that point.  There are no bastard win conditions in this game. 
Yes, there are incompatible win conditions.  So, sorry, there's no possible way for everyone to win.
Right, so assuming standard Mafia/Town existence (rather than the hilarious Third-party/town thing), along with POWER ROLE SHENANIGANS rather than HIDDEN BASTARDRY.

Thanks!

Weirdo: why are you part of the not-town alliance along with Tiruin and ReynTheLord?
(Quoted for your convenience)
Ooooo o_o I wonder what ability was that to be affected in part about me :O [/indirectvalidation]

Also why're you claiming outright? (By that, I mean, "Why not poke the rest of us :V")

Tiruin:
Oooookay, claiming here
I've extremely little of an active power role. All my roles otherwise are autos--although I'm strangely like a mirror-rock o_O (ie Revives once; Poison immune[?]; some kind of brother-connection that I'm alive as long as {this other dude is alive} but that doesn't discard that I can revive once for some reason; aaaaand I can inspect! But can be non-sane -_-}

Yeah I'm power-role-less :I
You're claiming to be a cop with a revive, and you feel that that's a safe claim? What's your reasoning on that?
TECHNICALLY I'm not really a cop :P It's like a tiny JOAT bundled in one, minus the ability to kill--with a reasoning that I'm unsure of my results (They've a chance to fail as far as I read it and I've no idea if they will work [but they can work :v]) <_<
Reasoning: I'm a blobby blob that if anyone touches me, their role changes :V Also I can't die. I can die if my person-connection is dead, but I'll revive once after that.
And I'm claiming out so I can be like a magnet to scum-shots. :D If they bother hitting me, they'll lose a role (actually have it changed--this thing is some kind of indomitable thing as far as I read it, unless someone wants to wipe my autos [why.])

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm safe in claiming. This precludes the lynch too, in pertinence to death. :v

Shakerag: I do recall there's a xylbot's role list. Can we have a link to it in the OP so there's full clarity to all possible roles available?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2016, 12:00:59 am »

Quote from: B-BAKArin
Shakerag: I do recall there's a xylbot's role list. Can we have a link to it in the OP so there's full clarity to all possible roles available?

There's been one in the OP since the start of the gaaaaame LOOK MORE CLOSELY! >_>

When you say their role changes, do you mean the primary role, or just one of the effects their character might have?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2016, 12:04:59 am »

Power Hungry Mafia

<something something flavortext>

Welcome to the first (of more, depending on reception) Power Hungry Mafia.  This is going to be a game "for funsies" as role abilities (and perhaps even alignments) are going to be completely randomized.  Which means it is more likely than not going to be an unbalanced hot mess.  Also, as the name would indicate, not only will you be getting random abilities, you're going to be getting a double handful of them.  This is a semi-bastard game (as you may be given misleading information from role abilities).  Roles will be randomly taken from the >>>>>>>>Xylbot role list<<<<<<<< with maybe a few surprises sprinkled in as the mod sees fit.
Like that one?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35