Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Weather thread? Weather thread.  (Read 9418 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Weather thread? Weather thread.
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 12:55:13 pm »

Anyways, projections show that it looks like it's going to loop around and then hit Florida again? I don't think I've seen a hurricane do that before, at least not in my lifetime. Heck of a double whammy for Florida. Hope all the Florida Bay12ers (and everybody in it's path) get outta there and are okay.

Yup. At least two of the projections have it looping around and cutting back across southern Florida into the Gulf and/or hitting the Yucatan.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 02:09:05 pm »

Oof, if it gets into the Gulf.....

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 02:21:59 pm »

I'm in southern brevard county. All braced up for it, and now its just a waiting game here. About 7 hours from now, I'll probably be without power, quite possibly a little sooner. Good luck to anyone else out there getting ready to ride this bugger out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 02:45:29 pm »

Godspeed, all you Floridians.

Do we need to have a list of B12'ers in the strike zone, just so we can do a roll call afterwards?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 02:52:04 pm »

Eehh... questionable usefulness, really. If someone in the strike zone does get hit genuinely hard, it could be weeks/months before they have power/net access back, depending on how badly the infrastructure gets wrecked and the government et al fumbles the ball. Folks could check back in, but not responding wouldn't necessarily mean much.

Plus if it does loop back around and goes through to the gulf there may not be anywhere in the state that isn't in the strike zone :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 03:22:02 pm »

Wow, the looping back around is pretty crazy, but if it was going to replicate what Sandy did it would need to follow most of the northeast projections before looping back northwest.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 04:32:38 pm »

Wow, the looping back around is pretty crazy, but if it was going to replicate what Sandy did it would need to follow most of the northeast projections before looping back northwest.

I was thinking of Katrina actually. It very well could do something similar to that. While it might not get as strong (due to the water not being quite as warm), even a Cat 4 or 3 would still pack a punch to the Gulf Coast.

CNN's storm tracker shows a lot of plots looping back and into the Gulf. What it does from there is anybodys guess. Some of them end the loop about halfway, so, it's just a 'wait and see' situation.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:44:52 pm by smjjames »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 07:19:03 pm »

Hope everyone else in florida and the bahamas are ok so far.   Still have power and internet here but it's already looking like a big windy storm. 

Probably going to lose power sometime tomorrow morning.  Who knows when it will come back and I'm heading to bed soon.  Good luck everyone else, will hopefully see y'all in a few days.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2016, 07:26:10 pm »

Yeah, good luck to the rest of you, at the mo. Forecast for my area isn't even predicting rain, and wind only in the 20ish range. Probably change if the thing does boomerang, but...
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:57 pm »

So I've been told that Florida's time has run out and the ocean is coming to collect. Is this true? Because everything I've heard sounds like that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 09:18:24 pm »

Eehh... honestly, from what I can tell not really. It is looking like the first really major storm to hit in a while but that's... not really saying much, in and of itself. Depends on what happens next, but so far it's looking like FL is going to come out pretty lightly, at least inasmuch as notable hurricanes go.

Now if the thing u-turns and gets into the gulf who the fuck knows what's going to happen. Other than everyone along the coast praying it goes to a different part of the coast than where they're at. And doesn't just kinda' chill for a while building itself up to the point that Charybdis manifests in reality and lays waste to the entire south and south-east region.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 10:34:23 pm »

Eehh... honestly, from what I can tell not really. It is looking like the first really major storm to hit in a while but that's... not really saying much, in and of itself. Depends on what happens next, but so far it's looking like FL is going to come out pretty lightly, at least inasmuch as notable hurricanes go.

Now if the thing u-turns and gets into the gulf who the fuck knows what's going to happen. Other than everyone along the coast praying it goes to a different part of the coast than where they're at. And doesn't just kinda' chill for a while building itself up to the point that Charybdis manifests in reality and lays waste to the entire south and south-east region.

Charybdis was a whirlpool, but yes, if it gets into the Gulf, who knows what's going to happen. Also, it could still wreak quite a bit of damage even if it doesn't build up a whole lot more strength.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 11:23:14 pm »

So I've been told that Florida's time has run out and the ocean is coming to collect. Is this true? Because everything I've heard sounds like that.
Meh. If Florida is America's dong, this is more like Mother Nature washing the nation where the sun don't shine (except the sun is ALWAYS shining down there).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2016, 12:52:03 am »

Looks like it's hitting the coast atm, and should be rubbing up along the shaft today.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 08:02:42 am »

*wakes up*

Huh....How do I still have power and internet?  Did it turn away or something?  Looks like it did a little bit, but still got high winds.   I'd take a video clip if I had a camera.

Damage so far:  A lot of brush in the yard, and a tree branch from the neighbor's tree has taken down a section of the back fence.

EDIT2:Scratch that that tree branch is not from the neighbor's tree.  It's a pine branch from what I can see from here.  Concerning since I don't know of any pine trees anywhere remotely near.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:24:20 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8