Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Weather thread? Weather thread.  (Read 9399 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Weather thread? Weather thread.
« on: October 04, 2016, 05:08:32 pm »

Hmmm, seems like that might be getting a bit close for comfort for any of you over on the NC/VA coast. Is Matthew going to make landfall as a major hurricane? Seems like the nullschool and NOAA models differ a bit there, worth keeping an eye on though.

My grass has been drying out after it got damn near murdered by the ridiculous rain we had a month ago, but I doubt we'll get any rain from the swirly over here due to the jet stream folding up against it awkwardly.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Weather thread? Weather thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:04:28 pm »

As a east coast Florida beachside resident I am posting to watch this thread.  As I mentioned in other threads D batteries and unleaded gas seems to be rarer than diamonds at this point round here.  We're just gunna be grazed and Governor Gollum is declaring a state of emergency, I hope y'all up in the carolinas make it through all right.  And Get batteries and gas while you can!

Spoiler: tangent (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:06:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:09:50 pm »

Yeah, worth keeping in mind that it has been over a decade since a major hurricane hit, good to be prepared in case it swings more westward.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 07:19:32 pm »

I'm sending prayer and good faith to the people that might be affected by this hurricane. I could bring up my concept of climate change and a symbiosis of why climate-change deniers think the way they do, or how it is in actual reality, but that should be reserved for another thread in case anyone needs to ask me. I can elaborate if you wish.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:23:12 pm »

Heh according to that projection it might as well hit here.  The center of the eye is going to be what maybe 20-40 miles off shore of Daytona beach (where I am) with current projections friday at 11 AM 8 AM.  20 miles is the point of "get the brunt of the storm but it doesn't actually have the courtesy of coming on to land to weaken."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:34:16 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:32:33 pm »

Well, I feel like I'm in a good spot to witness the storm.

I'm not too far off from Daytona. I'm also a beachside resident.

I've been praying (and oddly not worrying either, for some reason) all day against this thing hitting us.

EDIT:
Then again, something recently Happy Thread worthy just occurred (and I was going to secure it this week too), and this thing decided to conveniently appear to attempt to rain on my parade (cause all kinds of interference). Typical. If anything, I'm annoyed at the inconvenience this thing's causing me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:43:58 pm by Itnetlolor »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 07:47:13 pm »

Heh according to that projection it might as well hit here.  The center of the eye is going to be what maybe 20-40 miles off shore of Daytona beach (where I am) with current projections friday at 11 AM 8 AM.  20 miles is the point of "get the brunt of the storm but it doesn't actually have the courtesy of coming on to land to weaken."
Checking that nullschool model can let you see the updated projections more frequently, just change the time/date in the link on that picture in the first post: https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/10/09/0000Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/overlay=temp/orthographic=-81.59,30.27,684

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:50:31 pm »

Really, if it does hit fairly hard it will almost be comforting. Every year that passes without a meaningful one landing feels like another increase in the likelihood that next one that does is going to break the category scale and grind the entire state into dust. Possibly after catching fire.

... though it does help being, ah. Not. On the east coast >_>

Still, has honestly felt friggin' unnatural every time in the last while that hurricane season has passed without anything terribly notable happening (to Florida, anyway). I think I've lived through more damaging hurricanes in the first half of my life to date than I have in the second. Feels... murphy.

Hope folks'll make it through a'ight, though. Levelled towns are one thing but it's always much better when everyone manages to evac first. Or at least not get perforated by concrete impaling pine needles or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:53:54 pm »

I think I vaguely remember an old thread with the same title, but eh, probably best to make a new one than necro the old one.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:55:03 pm »

Really, if it does hit fairly hard it will almost be comforting. Every year that passes without a meaningful one landing feels like another increase in the likelihood that next one that does is going to break the category scale and grind the entire state into dust. Possibly after catching fire.

... though it does help being, ah. Not. On the east coast >_>

Still, has honestly felt friggin' unnatural every time in the last while that hurricane season has passed without anything terribly notable happening (to Florida, anyway). I think I've lived through more damaging hurricanes in the first half of my life to date than I have in the second. Feels... murphy.

Hope folks'll make it through a'ight, though. Levelled towns are one thing but it's always much better when everyone manages to evac first. Or at least not get perforated by concrete impaling pine needles or somethin'.
Well, there's no correlation in the length of time between events and the strength of upcoming events, the energy is being dissipated through other mechanisms instead of major hurricanes, and anyone talking about "THIS MEANS WE'LL GET A CAT 6 SOON" is chicken little-ing like a mofo.

I think I vaguely remember an old thread with the same title, but eh, probably best to make a new one than necro the old one.
I couldn't see a weather thread going back a couple pages in the search so I went with a new one.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 07:59:33 pm »

Checking that nullschool model can let you see the updated projections more frequently, just change the time/date in the link on that picture in the first post: https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/10/09/0000Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/overlay=temp/orthographic=-81.59,30.27,684
Yea I'm not sure what a nullschool model is but I learned how to move around in time and location on the projection.  https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/10/07/1500Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-85.35,26.99,3000/loc=-81.096,29.325  This makes a pretty good representation of how much I'll be staying inside friday.

(and no that is not my exact location.  I moved it a bit.  Still round there though.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:02:12 pm by Greiger »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 08:02:00 pm »

I couldn't see a weather thread going back a couple pages in the search so I went with a new one.

I remember it from years back, so, it'd probably be something of a necro anyhow.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 08:06:13 pm »

Well, this calls for a Hurricane Party. Thursday and Friday are definitely gonna be something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 08:07:18 pm »

Well, there's no correlation in the length of time between events and the strength of upcoming events, the energy is being dissipated through other mechanisms instead of major hurricanes, and anyone talking about "THIS MEANS WE'LL GET A CAT 6 SOON" is chicken little-ing like a mofo.
The statement made had nothing to do with science and everything to do with murphy, mate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 08:47:21 pm »

The statement made had nothing to do with science and everything to do with murphy, mate.
No disrespect intended to any members here, but QFT Frumple.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8