Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Weather thread? Weather thread.  (Read 9409 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weather thread? Weather thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 10:59:00 pm »

HOW DARE YOU.

I only posted in it not so long ago... sadly it was not enough to rekindle interest in the thread. Weather doesn't seem to be a terrible popular topic, unfortunately. Or maybe it was my terrible management of the thread and lack of actual knowledge about weather or something. Perhaps yours will have better luck than mine.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 11:36:06 pm »

Well, I feel like I'm in a good spot to witness the storm.

I'm not too far off from Daytona. I'm also a beachside resident.

I've been praying (and oddly not worrying either, for some reason) all day against this thing hitting us.

EDIT:
Then again, something recently Happy Thread worthy just occurred (and I was going to secure it this week too), and this thing decided to conveniently appear to attempt to rain on my parade (cause all kinds of interference). Typical. If anything, I'm annoyed at the inconvenience this thing's causing me.

Don't stay. Get away posthaste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 11:53:26 pm »

HOW DARE YOU.

I only posted in it not so long ago... sadly it was not enough to rekindle interest in the thread. Weather doesn't seem to be a terrible popular topic, unfortunately. Or maybe it was my terrible management of the thread and lack of actual knowledge about weather or something. Perhaps yours will have better luck than mine.
Sorry, I think starting off with the nullschool site helped because it's so damn fascinating.
Well, there's no correlation in the length of time between events and the strength of upcoming events, the energy is being dissipated through other mechanisms instead of major hurricanes, and anyone talking about "THIS MEANS WE'LL GET A CAT 6 SOON" is chicken little-ing like a mofo.
The statement made had nothing to do with science and everything to do with murphy, mate.
Ah, well that is harder to disprove.

Heh according to that projection it might as well hit here.  The center of the eye is going to be what maybe 20-40 miles off shore of Daytona beach (where I am) with current projections friday at 11 AM 8 AM.  20 miles is the point of "get the brunt of the storm but it doesn't actually have the courtesy of coming on to land to weaken."
Checking that nullschool model can let you see the updated projections more frequently, just change the time/date in the link on that picture in the first post: https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/10/09/0000Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/overlay=temp/orthographic=-81.59,30.27,684
Yea I'm not sure what a nullschool model is but I learned how to move around in time and location on the projection.  https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/10/07/1500Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-85.35,26.99,3000/loc=-81.096,29.325  This makes a pretty good representation of how much I'll be staying inside friday.

(and no that is not my exact location.  I moved it a bit.  Still round there though.)
Nullschool, according to: https://earth.nullschool.net/about.html uses models from: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/ to produce "a visualization of global weather conditions forecast by supercomputers updated every three hours" which means you get to play around with similar quality modeling as actual weather forecasters work with and learn how to see what they're looking at in a richer and deeper fashion.

Knowing what a high and low is in a textbook sense is fine, but seeing the contours and wind flows on the globe makes it easier to grasp what is actually going on.

Strictly speaking you could also switch to the surface level but the higher view helps see what steers the storm a bit better, and gives you an idea of where the clouds are, while the surface level is a better view of where it is grinding into the dirt.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 12:07:45 am »

Well naturally, heck, look at the difference in the links between earlier today and what the outputs suggest now, with the storm spinning out into the ocean instead of hitting NC on the 9th, but it's nice to have the ability to check and see as it updates instead of the vague path projection images.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 12:46:41 am »

NOT MY POINT ISPIL.

Incidentally, these are updated regularly with new data and thus get closer to reality, so the prediction of it spinning off to the east is more likely than it hitting NC.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 12:53:00 am »

You don't need to convert me to chaos theory though, my issue was the chaotic brain thing, chaos in general is indeed important, it's actually why I love having stuff like the nullschool site. The most up-to-date tv report lacks the same freshness as poking around and seeing the changes as the models update.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 08:30:45 am »

Aren't they the remnants of an ecoterrorist group? Seems trustworthy.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 08:55:36 am »

I think I vaguely remember an old thread with the same title, but eh, probably best to make a new one than necro the old one.
I couldn't see a weather thread going back a couple pages in the search so I went with a new one.

I remember it from years back, so, it'd probably be something of a necro anyhow.
I had been intent last night on starting the "ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS: 2016 Edition" thread but got distracted.

So yeah, be interesting to see if NC gets more than a brush along the Outer Banks. We haven't had a real storm hit the mainland in 16 years, so like Frumple, there's an illogical part of my brain thinking we're overdue for a big one.

Thankfully I'm far enough inland that it wouldn't amount to much here. Which is good considering that I live on the banks of a river.

And the latest track actually has it staying out to sea all along the Eastern Seaboard. Looks like America made its roll to dodge.

On a tangentially-related topic, how the hell did we get up to "M" already?? It's barely October! Last year's hurricane thread was almost the exactly same time of year and we were only on "J".
I mean, it's no 2005 (where we hit "R" by mid-September and ran out of letters by late October, leading to shit like Hurricane Epsilon) but it's still pretty active.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 09:09:49 am »

Oh man I wake up and check the thread and hear good news, it's not gunna hit NC anymore yay!  Does that mean it's backing off from florida?

Nope,  now it's just dropping hurricane force winds along the entire coast, making a U-turn and hanging out just off shore to dump more wind and rain on us while it decides what to do from there.  Good that it's not going to actually impact anywhere, but I'm still thinking it's getting so close it might as well impact.

Oh and the projection shows it just a few miles closer to daytona too.  It's like it's playing a backseat game of 'I'm not touching you.'
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:11:44 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 10:03:35 am »

Well, this calls for a Hurricane Party. Thursday and Friday are definitely gonna be something.
I actually am gonna have a party of sorts, my friends and I are gonna play D&D while the neighborhood likely floods. I'm gonna try and film some stuff too.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 10:08:09 am »

I was just joking. Seemed a bit funny to imagine an ecoterrorist group telling you the weather, that's all.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 11:11:49 am »

Ah the joys of thinking you are prepared when yer not.  We had some precut plywood with some window mounts.   We got new windows a few years back and the mounts no longer fit in any useful way.  And the local hardware place is out of plywood clips.  So we have plywood cut to size and no way of actually attaching it to the windows.

If we hadn't thought we had some perfectly functional window covers already we would have been able to go to lowes before they sold out.   Annoying bit is that the insurance company is the one that insisted we replace all the windows in the first place.  Shame I don't remember why.

EDIT:And this projection is not helping me keep my piece of mind.  Nothing quite like seeing the green circle INSIDE the red circle, and the projected windspeed being only 10km/h at your location.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:29:57 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 12:32:51 pm »

Tfw when the sun starts to set at 6:30pm

Fuck daylight savings. I hate waking up when it's still dark. :(

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 01:17:34 pm »

Huh. Kneel says the demon light, I guess. Kinda' wondered for a while if it's going to hit a point where islanders just say to sky hell with this shit and leave. Or sky hell says to hell with them and there stops being islanders to consider, anyway.

Then again, I vaguely remember something about relatively cheap/improved geodesic domes starting to propagate a bit, a few years back, able to stand up to some pretty significant winds and whatnot. Maybe they'll just start building differently, at least until the islands functionally sink.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8