Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Weather thread? Weather thread.  (Read 9396 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weather thread? Weather thread.
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2016, 08:57:27 pm »

Do we have any Haitian Bay12ers? If so, I hope they and their loved ones are safe.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2016, 09:15:48 pm »

I didn't see any mention earlier in the thread incidentally, just a couple Floridians and Squibillistanians.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2016, 10:01:15 pm »

River is now 30 feet from the backdoor. Have never seen it this bad before.

Eno River is typically about 2' deep. Last fall it got up to 14' deep. We're currently at 16.52' and slowly falling (crested at 16.63' about 45 min ago).

Thank Buddallaheimdalloki we just got "grazed". If Matthew had said hello with the fury of a thousand storms, we'd probably be evacuated and half my shit would be underwater.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2016, 12:10:52 am »

I'm in Ohio, we always get the leftovers of these storms.  Nasty thunderstorms for days after a hurricane hits.  The worst was Ike back in 2008, it hit as a wall of air that blew the power out all through the Ohio Valley, mine was out for five days straight in the middle of summer.
Shoes...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2016, 03:18:40 am »

The one in late 2015 I think that petered out over the gulf was amazing here in Memphis because you could clearly see the remnants of the spiral as they rolled into view overhead and turned bright neon pink when the sun set.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2016, 01:26:36 pm »

Everything's pretty good over here (house and town). Turns out my calculations and such I mentioned earlier were pretty darn consistent, according to the mess I had to clean up around the house and yard. House took minimal damage (basically the vinyl siding we had served as protective armor for the house, and a great deal of it got torn off), no flooding, surges apparently didn't even make it past the house closer to the beach than ours, and all the windows are intact. Exactly as calculated; well, more or less.

Had the hurricane maintained it's original course, we'd be far worse off (becoming a ground-zero location instead), of course. But thank goodness we dodged a cannonball there. Went about a day or so (slightly longer than a day since it came back a couple hours ago (I think around 9-ish)) sans power and internet. Had a generator keep us going for the time being at minimal operation, refreshing the house and such, and keeping our food and such from going rotten. Now I'm just spending what remains of my unofficial days off from work (Hurricane Party Vacation) cleaning up the place, and have just now re-set my computer setup and such.

It's nice to keep tabs on a bigger screen again. Nice to see everyone else has come off pretty well, as well.

EDIT:
I may have been on the news, since I saw at least 2 news choppers fly over my house (NBC and Channel 9, I think), and hold still for a bit; probably giving everyone else watching a good look at the mess. If you saw a pink house that was once white on the viewscreen, I may have waved at the camera either time.

EDIT EDIT:
Got a bit more yard cleaning done (getting it ready for pickup). Definitely got my work cut out for me here. Much more crap lying about the place than I thought.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:35:01 pm by Itnetlolor »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2016, 04:55:16 pm »

:) Glad you are alright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2016, 09:26:26 am »

Looks at digital clock. Sees the time, takes a few moments to register.

I have power?   I have power woo!

Power went out just a few minutes after I posted that I was surprised I still had power.  Just got it back. So no power for....maybe 3 days 3 and a half? vOv  I got a lot of reading done.

Like Itnetlolor damage was fairly minimal for us.  Neiborhood is pretty trashed though.   Got all the yard cleaning done that we could by ourselves on saturday.  An orange tree in the front yard fell over, and we lost all of the backyard fencing.  House itself is fine, no broken windows and shingles appear fine from the ground.  A little bit of water got in under the doors, but not flooding or anything, just an improperly sealed door on the side of the house the wind was coming from. 

Neighbors fared worse, the big damaged oak tree in their backyard that we worried would fall on our house fell on their garage instead, pretty much smashing it to kindling.  Fortunately it's their winter home so noone was home.  Kinda gotta say it's their own fault there though, that tree had a massive gouge in the side of it even before the storm from an old lightning strike.  It was obviously unstable and we asked them to see about bracing it or cutting it down more than once.  Probably good nature took care of it when noone was home.

Apparently here in Florida we got pretty lucky.  We got the eyewall, but the strong winds were all on the east side of the storm, not our side.

Hope everyone else is all-right too :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:33:36 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2016, 10:50:14 am »

So....eastern half of my beloved home state is pretty well fucked. Haven't seen flooding like this since....ever. Not even Hurricane Floyd, which damn near brought the coastline 200 miles inland for a couple of days. Neuse, Tar and Lumbee rivers all hit record flood levels.

For a few tense hours Saturday night, our little chunk of the Eno -- which is normally about a foot deep and maybe 50 feet wide -- was 16+ feet deep and nearly a quarter-mile wide. Plodded along the riverbank upstream yesterday and there's assorted debris up in the trees well over my head. Tables, picnic benches, etc. all washed away.

There was formerly a fallen tree that completely crossed the river and was wide enough to use as a bridge, if you were adventurous enough. It's gone.
And we got off light, areas like Fayetteville got 2-3 times as much rain as we did.

Half the deaths in the US from Matthew are here in NC.  :-[

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2016, 09:36:47 am »

*hugs*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2016, 11:56:31 am »

Well damn, yeah, NC flooding has been a big problem last few years, anybody else in the area who hasn't checked in?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:23 pm »

Nah, I think we're all good. Most of the deaths here were due to people driving around barricades into flooded roadways and getting swept away. (i.e. Darwin award finalists).
And there was the one guy who got shot by cops. In the middle of a flood. But, he was homeless, mentally ill, was armed and had a lengthy record. Sad state of affairs, but not the typical cop shooting incident.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:33 pm »

Good, I mean, getting washed out of NC isn't the worst that could happen, unless you landed in like, SC, or WV, or north along the coast into like... MD!

*dramatic piano sting*

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2016, 01:25:21 pm »

Good, I mean, getting washed out of NC isn't the worst that could happen, unless you landed in like, SC, or WV, or north along the coast into like... MD!

*dramatic piano sting*
.... Hey!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2016, 11:07:26 am »

Ha ha, take THAT North Carolina!

Though I shouldn't have talked too smug, because one of these looks nice, and the other suggests our local weather station might be on fire, or thousands of miles too far west:

That would be ~134 Fahrenheit btw.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8