Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Enemy Stars [SG] - Update 32  (Read 10582 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy Stars [SG] - Update 10
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2016, 11:20:47 pm »

I second looking for a technician to help us from the stasis pods.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy Stars [SG] - Update 11
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2016, 06:21:40 pm »

You kick the console out of anger. It doesn't seem to care.
Darn.

You try to look for ship schematics, but you don't have much luck. As it turns out, there's a reason why they train people for operation of specific ships. Besides, most standardized methods or systems you know of aren't present here.

Frustrated, you stomp back over to the area where you found the power interface earlier, hoping to find some kind of way to access the primary reactor. You seem to be in luck, as a nearby console looks like it has just the thing. It seems to be a nuclear fission reactor. From what you can tell, there's no kind of system damage and it has plenty of fuel.
Starting it is a risk. One that you're willing to take - primarily due to what appear to be signs that the entire process is almost entirely automated. You press a few obvious buttons, then the lights flicker, you hear a hum in the background, and the intercom turns on.

"Power restored. Commencing system troubleshooting and damage analysis. Results printed to log."

You run over to the console where you found the log.
HORIZONS COLONY SHIP - DAMAGE ANALYSIS
CRYOCHAMBER: CRITICAL FAILURE
SOLAR PANELS: CONNECTION FAILURE
All other systems functional.

Hull breach detected: Cryochamber.

Ship unpressurized. Automated Control successfully sealed off breached areas and activated Life Support in unbreached areas.
CRITICAL ALERT: Cryochamber has lacked power for: 55 years. Power has been restored, but all cryopods now connected to power are reporting deceased occupants.

You feel the atmosphere being vented in, and are starting to faintly hear it as well. There's still no gravity, though. But other than that, it looks like your job here is done for no-

Huh.
There's a red blinking light over one of the consoles.
You walk over to investigate it.

HYPERWAVE DISTRESS BEACON ACTIVATED

Okay. That's really bad. As in, REALLY BAD. You're sure you're in Occupier space, or at least are very close to it. Without a doubt, there's going to be a patrol coming very soon after detecting the distress signal. You still have weapons on your fighter and it's likely going to be a small patrol, but that's still not very reassuring. Your fighter still has no shields and no reactor. You're going to have to think and pretty fast.

You manage to deactivate the oxygen intake on your helmet, since you have an atmosphere to breath in now.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:53 pm »

ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit

Scramble to find a way to turn off the signal. If impossible get back to your ship and ready weapons
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2016, 06:18:12 am »

Plan A:
Let's see... we can't work the navigation console so flying the colony ship out of here is impossible, and we have no other hyperspace-capable ships...
Scramble to find a way to turn off the signal. If impossible get back to your ship and ready weapons
Also, see if there's a way to use the suit connection to fly the shuttle remotely (and detach the suit reel, we don't want to go for the ride). If we can use it as bait, it'll be easier to destroy the scouts while they're distracted... But, when a scout goes missing in times of war, the normal reason is enemy action, so they'd send something a lot heavier not long after... We might be able to figure out the controls before they arrive, though.

OR...

Plan B:
On the other hand, if we hide the fighter it's possible that the scouting crew might try to explore the hulk to see why did it activate. If we could kill them then, we'd have a fully functional, hyperspace-capable ship... that we wouldn't know how to fly either... but if we could somehow learn... maybe take a prisoner and force him at gunpoint to take us home... Of course, there's a chance that the scout won't dock and just call in a troop transport full of marines or a heavy hitter to destroy the colony ship from afar...

((I'm split on this, so let someone else decide which plan to follow, A or B, or suggest a plan C.))
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:07:37 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2016, 07:19:47 am »

I vote for plan B.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 07:42:15 am »

B
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy Stars [SG] - Update 12
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2016, 06:45:20 pm »

You clumsily sprint as if your life depended on it through the halls and back to your fighter. You grab the pistol lying in your cockpit, then quickly re-examine your surroundings to figure out what to do. Then suddenly you realize something. This hangar is obviously designed to allow materials and perhaps vehicles loaded from the halls. You stomp over to a now-active console inside a smaller enclosure - probably some kind of local control room - and try to decipher the controls.

It actually turns out to be easier than expected. You manage to open a large door leading to the corridor behind the hangar. You hop back into your fighter and start the engines. You very carefully maneuver the fighter through the door and into the corridor. It drains a bit of power, but there's still plenty left. You quickly get back out of the fighter and close the large door again.

You clamber back through the smaller person-sized door and into your fighter, activating the sensors. Already you're met with a single red blip on the scope. You tap it and the sensor readout appears.
HOSTILE SHIP SIGNATURE
Signature correlates with: Large Scout.
Life signs detected.

It also lists some other stats such as velocity, but that's not particularly relevant right now. Finally, you actually know something about your situation. The large scout has some basic weapons and holds about 3 personnel. A fully-operational LAC-130 (your ship) could very easily take it on, but at this point you're really not sure if it'd be a good idea to engage it head-on. Instead, you decide to wait and try to hijack it.
The scout will be able to detect your general location - it has much more advanced life sign sensors, as that is one of its intended purposes. But still, they won't be able to pinpoint you any further than this general vicinity, which will work exactly in your favor.

You inspect your weapon. It's a standard issue pistol. It takes an LC-Bullet mag and has just enough stopping power to puncture light Occupier armor, though it has some trouble with heavier varieties. Luckily, you don't think a large scout vessel is going to have any heavy soldiers. You have one spare magazine of 16 rounds in addition to the magazine currently loaded.

You shut off the sensors and carefully depart your ship to hide in the back of the hangar, near a door to the corridor.

You hear the ship coming in. From what you can hear, it seems to hover above the flooring, then lands. A ramp hits the floor. You hear what sounds like light armor. You have your pistol in the hand and are hiding behind the control room. You could look out to get a better view of the situation but that could compromise your location. At least one of them stayed inside the ship to keep it running; maybe two.
What do you do?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2016, 07:21:29 pm »

Stay where we are for the moment. When the enemy gets close enough, see if you can take him down quietly. It would be best to maintain stealth and conserve ammo. Of course, if he's too far away, or cannot be otherwise engaged, just shoot him.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2016, 08:08:49 pm »

No peeking out, just wait and try to ambush in hand to hand if we can. if he's too far out of reach and looks like he's about to spot us, shoot and hide again.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2016, 08:15:13 pm »

No peeking out, just wait and try to ambush in hand to hand if we can. if he's too far out of reach and looks like he's about to spot us, shoot and hide again.
This, and if it's a successful kill see if we can't search the corpse for anything of use, in the following priority:

Alpha Priority
-Weapon/s, our Handgun can only last so long and alternatives are welcome.
-Ammo

Beta Priority
-Enemy Uniform, as we may need to pretend to be our victim
-Communications

Gamma Priority
-Explosives
-Currency
-Other
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »

-1 to engage the searchers

It's likely that two would come out to explore so they can cover for each other. Ambush and surprise are on our side, but we're a fighter pilot; neither melee or marksmanship are really our thing, we've never faced Occupiers in close combat and don't actually know how quick or strong they are. Also, all it takes is a gurgle on an open radio channel for the pilot to know things went sour for them.

I think it'd be better to let them go by past us, double back to sneak into the ship and hold the pilot at gunpoint - hey, he'll be a fly boy too, so shouldn't be too proficient in CQC either, or know how quick or strong we are.

If there's only one in the cockpit, that might be simple enough; otherwise, the chance for a shootout at close range increases dramatically, our chances lower a lot, and even if we survive stuff might end up broken.

It'd be better if two of them did come out...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:34:05 pm by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2016, 08:26:36 pm »

((If we get the ship and find we can't really fly it, perhaps we should grab whatever source of power it has and flee- this both gives us an asset and denies them one.))
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2016, 08:30:58 pm »

((If we get the ship and find we can't really fly it, perhaps we should grab whatever source of power it has and flee- this both gives us an asset and denies them one.))
((To use their parts we'd need to kill 3 crewmembers, figure out alien engineering, carry a large piece of equipment, figure out how to connect the alien technology to our own, and do it all before the enemy sends someone else to check on their missing scouts... and then fly home without any navigation data. I don't think so!))

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »

-1 to engage the searchers

It's likely that two would come out to explore so they can cover for each other. Ambush and surprise are on our side, but we're a fighter pilot; neither melee or marksmanship are really our thing, we've never faced Occupiers in close combat and don't actually know how quick or strong they are. Also, all it takes is a gurgle on an open radio channel for the pilot to know things went sour for them.
I think it'd be better to let them go by past us, double back to sneak into the ship and hold the pilot at gunpoint - hey, he'll be a fly boy too, so shouldn't be too proficient in CQC either, or know how quick or strong we are.
If there's only one in the cockpit, that might be simple enough; otherwise, the chance for a shootout at close range increases dramatically, our chances lower a lot, and even if we survive stuff might end up broken.

It'd be better if two of them did come out...
This if two people come after us

This if only one

If three or more,  just fire away

Glory to United Forenia!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2016, 08:36:25 pm »

((To use their parts we'd need to kill 3 crewmembers, figure out alien engineering, carry a large piece of equipment, figure out how to connect the alien technology to our own, and do it all before the enemy sends someone else to check on their missing scouts... and then fly home without any navigation data. I don't think so!))
((Point taken. Could we recharge our capacitor off their ship? All that requires is wiring their power to ours. Actually, we could do that off the hulk too.))
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11