Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140174 times)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile

All too often I find people fixate though.

And yes, much like listening to Violet from the chocolate factory harp about gum all day gets tedious, hearing people harp about sex, or nudge you to ask if "you saw that" as somebody walks by is equally exhausting.

as for the statement about being enslaved by hormones being offensive, just ask all your friends if they think they could go a week without sex. a month? a year?

you will find that most cant even go 3 days without it. that's pretty damned hooked.
I feel like maybe you hang out with some friends who don't understand asexuality, and maybe you should reconsider :V

Also, stop the dang derail guys!
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Philosophical Asparagus
« Reply #871 on: November 22, 2016, 11:38:03 pm »

I read it initially as 'political asparagus', lol....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 22, 2016, 11:38:14 pm »

most people do not understand asexuality, in my experience.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:40 pm »

In the most literal term, it means genderless. Though I understand it in this context to just mean 'not interested in sex, regardless of gender'.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 22, 2016, 11:42:03 pm »

for all intents and purposes, my genitals serve only a useful endochrine function, and nothing else.

I could live just fine without them. mentally, i *am* genderless.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #875 on: November 22, 2016, 11:48:48 pm »

In the most literal term, it means genderless.
NO, NO, NO - WRONG

That would be agender! Not asexuality!
Though I understand it in this context to just mean 'not interested in sex, regardless of gender'.
Or "not having any libido, i.e., drive to engage in sexual activity." A subtle distinction: someone could be not interested in sex at the moment (too busy with SCIENCE) and yet be hetero/homo/bisexual.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 22, 2016, 11:52:27 pm »

That is true doze. "Got a headache" being cliche.

I do not have attraction, ever, and do not relate with my gender. Or the other gender. I just kinda am.

To cope with that, I have created my own, personal identity. I relate with others who have done that as well.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 22, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »

NO, NO, NO - WRONG

Though I understand it in this context to just mean 'not interested in sex, regardless of gender'.
Or "not having any libido, i.e., drive to engage in sexual activity." A subtle distinction: someone could be not interested in sex at the moment (too busy with SCIENCE) and yet be hetero/homo/bisexual.

I'm probably conflating it with 'asexual' as in 'asexual reproduction', which I know has nothing to do with asexuality, and I wasn't being entirely serious with that first comment.

edit: Wait, even asexual in that context doesn't mean 'genderless', it just means 'outside of sex, or no sex involved in the proccess'. You can have a gendered organism and still have asexual reproduction (aphids, a few species of lizard come to mind, also corals and anemonenes).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:57:27 pm by smjjames »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #878 on: November 22, 2016, 11:56:08 pm »

for all intents and purposes, my genitals serve only a useful endochrine function, and nothing else.

I could live just fine without them. mentally, i *am* genderless.
I just realized something. The way that I might want to present myself could overlap with different form of gender expression, and I could still be agender.

Which is another way of saying "just do you," I guess. Huh. I keep coming back to that. Maybe I should follow it.

(But hmm, negative body image associated with the part of me that is more associated with masculinity; i.e., hairiness... that's the issue, association. Whence these feelings? Transgenderness, or have I simply associated "feminine" with "good"?)

That is true doze. "Got a headache" being cliche.

I do not have attraction, ever, and do not relate with my gender. Or the other gender. I just kinda am.

To cope with that, I have created my own, personal identity. I relate with others who have done that as well.
Creating your own identity... why the heck not? Just restrain your urge to label yourself and put yourself in a box, Doz, and it might just work!
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #879 on: November 22, 2016, 11:57:04 pm »

NO, NO, NO - WRONG

I'm probably conflating it with 'asexual' as in 'asexual reproduction', which I know has nothing to do with asexuality, and I wasn't being entirely serious with that first comment.
Ah. Asexual reproduction doesn't imply a lack of sex (physical state), though. Parthenogenesis and whatnot.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:39 pm »

NO, NO, NO - WRONG

Ah. Asexual reproduction doesn't imply a lack of sex (physical state), though.

Yeah, I realized that and corrected that in my post above.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 23, 2016, 12:29:55 am »

sure it does. we attribute value to reasons, but nature does not.

This is not true. 'Nature' (By which I assume you mean reality) is the ultimate arbitrator of if something happens, if there is no cause, there is no effect. Instincts are decisions make so quickly to by unconscious that the conscious mind is unaware of them, but that doesn't mean that they are not rational and do not have underlying reasons. Once again, just because instinct exists, that doesn't mean that there is no cause and rationality to why our instincts do what they do.

only a really premeditated action is truly the result of rational thought. almost all of your decisions in life are excluded from this class.

when it comes to things like pleasure, it is universally excluded.

Although the first point may be true from a raw number of decisions point, after all, we do things constantly on an unconscious level, like breathing or how many times I click my mouse to highlight a sentence for copy and pasting. It's really just an obfuscation, since most things that people would actually call decisions are in fact these premeditated actions. Including often deciding to have sex. The second point is demonstrably false. In order to prove you false, I considered actions that could give me pleasure, choose one, and executed it. This feels like something that would be a no brainer, that if you have an argument with an obviously false conclusion, you would rethink the argument. I feel like you may not be discussing this in good faith, I must be honest.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 23, 2016, 01:24:28 am »

A causal event is not a reason. There is no underlying thinking of the universe, it is just an endless chain of consequences from an initial action that has no discernible cause. (spontaneous symmetry breaking of the unified vacuum)

Reasons are things humans make, to explain things. The universe explains nothing.

Here, dont take my word for it:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reason

Full Definition of reason

a :  a statement offered in explanation or justification <gave reasons that were quite satisfactory> b :  a rational ground or motive <a good reason to act soon> c :  a sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense; especially :  something (as a principle or law) that supports a conclusion or explains a fact <the reasons behind her client's action> d :  the thing that makes some fact intelligible :  cause <the reason for earthquakes> <the real reason why he wanted me to stay — Graham Greene>

a (1) :  the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways :  intelligence (2) :  proper exercise of the mind (3) :  sanity b :  the sum of the intellectual powers

archaic :  treatment that affords satisfaction

in reason

:  rightly, justifiably

within reason

:  within reasonable limits

with reason

:  with good cause

Humans CREATE reasons, to explain what is.

They always come after the fact. You can predict that you will like something, after having done that thing in the past, but that does not change the reality that the event itself is what is pleasurable, and you are simply rationalizing that pleasure after the fact with your reasons.

To wit- Being gay is not a choice. One does not go "You know, I think I will be gay from now on."  It does not work that way. They have always been gay, and come to that startling revelation. Then they rationalize why it is OK to be gay, and why they like the things they like. This is also why "reprogramming camps" dont work. You dont choose what you find enjoyable. You cant be told what you find enjoyable either. You can choose to do things that you know to be enjoyable, but that is most certainly NOT the same thing.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 23, 2016, 01:42:05 am »

Asexual people aren't necessarily uninterested in sex, they just don't feel any drive to. Some asexuals do still have sex, they just don't have an innate biological drive behind it.\

Also, wierd, maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm friends with a lot of non-heterosexuals :V

that and smart people
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 23, 2016, 01:48:12 am »

Are you implying that I am not smart? ;)

I'll share my IQ if you share yours. :P

I have unusual thoughts and opinions on how people think and act, because I have an almost morbid interest in it. Strangely, neuroscience and behavioral science agree with my takes on it.

Cript just does not like that explanation, and does not think I am being honest about the conclusions I have arrived at.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 91