Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140112 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Man, I already know about most of my friends' sex lives and this is comically untrue. Are you basing this "can't go without sex for three days" thing on college freshmen?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, at least that'd have about the same validity of most psychology experiments.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

A) most psychology experiments are performed on undergrads

B) people lie very often on surveys about their sex lives

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

it blinds you to stunning things you would otherwise notice about people, like how horrible that devil in prada really is (but damn does she look hawt!), or how amazing that dumpy fat guy is aside from looking fat and dumpy.
Not in my experience.
maybe i am clairvoyant or empathic or something, but it most certainly is mine.

it causes you to stare at asses and breasts intead of talking to people.
I like to look in people's eyes.

me too. i also like to hear what people really think, and dispense with all the aires and masks.

and, it gives a negative body image complex its power to destroy truly beautiful people.
Because they aren't being ogled? Oh, I expect you probably mean beautiful minds.

yes and no. a beautiful person is beautiful because they are genuinely transcendent. say, mother theresa. i doubt anyone here without a fetish would say she was physically attractive, but she was a genuinely beautiful person. a person need not be famous to be beautiful like that. a beautiful soul shines through anything.

then there is the whole "i cant wear pink, thats a fucking gay assed color! i gotta wear a mans color, like black."  and similar pathologies, like "being smart isnt womanly, so i wont persue my childhood dream of being a scientist." and pals.
idgi
I don't feel constrained to or away from particular colors. I particularly like red.
see the term, "machismo"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machismo

then re-evaluate things like "truck nuts", the dos equis 'most interesting man', and yes, getting all crazy over a man wearing pink.  this is not my imagination.

smart, independent woman scientist is freaking hawt. flaunt that methyl blue stained labcoat! woo!
Strong women in general are hot! Whether mentally or physically.

strong PEOPLE are hot. the gender is not really important. however, the "brains arent sexy on women" trope is sadly very real (or at least, still ruining lives and dreams), and seeing it rejected is sexy as hell.

as for the statement about being enslaved by hormones being offensive, just ask all your friends if they think they could go a week without sex. a month? a year?
I've gone 34 years without sex~
Voluntarily
But I am not averse to the possibility.
celebacy is rare. like, 1% of the population, just as good a chance as meeting mark cuban, rare.
cherry picking and all that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

i like the taste and texture of buttered popcorn. no other reaason. when i want some, i pop it and eat it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

:U thats why I keep telling people to try things before they decide its not for them.

Sure, there's the social interaction part, and thats pretty important (well, I guess it depends on each person's feelings and tastes, for me its pretty damn important anyway), and yea it can be pretty awkward, BUT HEY, its basically supposed to be pretty awkward unless magic happens, so if you want to try it, you'll just have to deal with it. Its a barrier for many people, though.

Maybe its really not for you, but it might be! And its not like drugs in which there's a very obvious and proven downside to even trying (and its not illegal unless you have some very specific tastes, in which case I invite you to visit the closest psychiatrist). Life's scary, people are scary, but scary things can be pretty enjoyable once you get past the first few bumps, kinda like DF :U (jesus infinite christ I just made a DF sex analogy someone please find me in the next life and punch me)

So yea. Do the impossible, see the invisible, row row, fight the butt.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wierd, if I may point you to the spoiler I just posted? You dun gotta reply, but it was largely for you.

a beautiful person is beautiful because they are genuinely transcendent. say, mother theresa. i doubt anyone here without a fetish would say she was physically attractive, but she was a genuinely beautiful person. a person need not be famous to be beautiful like that. a beautiful soul shines through anything.

When she was an appropriate age for the majority of this forum's members, she was pretty dang Conventionally Attractive actually.
That's not to say that she didn't have problematic personality traits and prejudices, according to Shadowlord's link, though. That's unfortunate. :I

Anyway, beauty comes in a lot of forms both internal and external, and either are great.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:09:35 pm by Solifuge »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting. I was unaware of that side of her. However, the articles author is not understanding the concept of being mendicant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendicant_orders

it is also important to seperate the woman, from her order.

less beauiful, but still not as ugly as depicted, and the article goes through great pains to dispel the aura of beauty she presented. if not the actual person, examine the concept sshe represented in terms of such beauty.

also, very much pegged an 11 sized ad hominem.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wierd, if I may point you to the spoiler I just posted? You dun gotta reply, but it was largely for you.

a beautiful person is beautiful because they are genuinely transcendent. say, mother theresa. i doubt anyone here without a fetish would say she was physically attractive, but she was a genuinely beautiful person. a person need not be famous to be beautiful like that. a beautiful soul shines through anything.

When she was an appropriate age for the majority of this forum's members, she was pretty dang Conventionally Attractive actually.
That's not to say that she didn't have problematic personality traits and prejudices, according to Shadowlord's link, though. That's unfortunate. :I

Anyway, beauty comes in a lot of forms both internal and external, and either are great.

from your spoiler--

1) i can accept that the first time i meet somebody, and they do it. however, when i tell them that i dont find anyone attractive, they do one of two things, usually. one, they will be cool with it and not ask me about such things again, or two, they will be convinced that i am sexually repressed, and need to be "liberated", or worse still, think if i try it, i will like it. {protip, i have not lived under a rock, and am not a virgin. i dont find sex appealing after trying it. i dont want you to find me a date.}

2) i agree. i also insist on reciprocity. i understand thaat other people are sexual. i want others to reciprocate that understanding, and not wax philosophical about how awesome that gay 4some was last night, and no, i dont want to see pictures. {true story. really happened.}

3) i have seen  "the ugly girl" get excluded from everything more often than you can count. there is also real research that less attractive people get passed up for jobs, get less pay, and get hassled needlessly, despite being better qualified, being more essential to productivity, and being good people. the world fixates on physical hotness way too much, and yes, this demonstrably blinds people.

4) i always try things to see if i do indeed dislike it.  the kid refusing the asparagus is not making a decision on known preferences, but instead on "reasons".  eg, "asparagus is a vegetable, and vegetaables are gross tasting, so i wont try it, and assert it is gross tasting." this is not the same as "i dont like asparagus", which is a true statement after tryig it, and not liking it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:48:43 pm by wierd »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Pah, madre Theresa, I still remember  that dear xavier lost the Nobel prize to her. I guess her work was simply too relevant at the time.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fuckit then. This is now the asparagus thread, Dozebôm if you would be so kind to change the title.

"I don't like Asparagus" could or could not be a true statement, but it's not a rational statement or a valid statement.

"I don't like Asparagus because I have an informed dislike of the taste" could or could not be a true statement, but it's a rational and valid statement.

Of course this metaphor is pretty ridiculous because most of the time we don't really need to know your reason for disliking a food, indeed, we don't need your reasoning for disliking most things, so long as it's easy enough for us to conceive why you dislike something and the reason doesn't actually matter we can simply fill in the blanks with our imagination, it's not perfect, but for many things it'd better then giving a background for all the obvious and non important reasoning.

The important bit of what I said was that when you don't have such a reason in the back (As you claimed you did not need!), your feeling is irrational, even if it's true. If your actions are informed by that feeling, then your actions are irrational, even if they turn out to be the correct action to have taken.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think there is a failure to communicate.

when I say "you dont need a reason to dislike something", i mean it like this:

1) there is this thing that most people like. Let's say chocolate. its everywhere, its even cultual at valentines day. but when you eat it, it tastes horrid vile, like eating old used tampons vile. you hate it.

2) you politely decline the chocolate when offered, and people demand a reason why you hate the chocolate.

3) short of going all commander data on them, and exhaustively exploring why your tastebuds are different (which they might not be), you politely tell them that you just do not like the taste of chocolate, and really dont need a reason why, because you simply find it horrible vile.

substitute chocolate for sex, and you have me.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

substitute chocolate for sex, and you have me.
Combine chocolate and sex, and you have messy.

(It had to be said.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only if you use syrup. Use crackle instead. ;) must be used when cold.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:07:35 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 91