It is more Grindtastic then a MMO! Yes
- 8 (8.9%)
They LIED TO ME! Yes
- 8 (8.9%)
I am a banana, no!
- 56 (62.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Who here would refund their No Man's Sky?  (Read 11838 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who here would refund their No Man's Sky?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 11:00:45 pm »

I haven't seen more than 2 hours of your poll! :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 11:03:46 pm »

I'm putting this in the negativity thread to preserve precious feels.

I haven't died even once.  Even when very aggressively stealing gravioli balls.  At no point have I felt challenged, tested, or anything more than inconvenienced by anything in this game.

I didn't buy it.  If I did, it would've been during the preorder phase, and I definitely would've refunded it before release when the issues became obvious.

It would be an okay pretty-stuff-looker-atter if it didn't aggressively stifle whatever immersion you manage to find with constant intrusive achievements, robots flying around, save points, identical buildings with nothing to them but one or two collectible nothings, stupid video game shit that was annoying even when it was in games you expect to see them.

What's funny is I once described my hype for the game's exploration by comparing it to games like that.  Exploration's never really hit the right spot for me, mainly because everything I find was obviously put there intentionally by a developer.  Nothing kills my enthusiasm for exploration like seeing an old abandoned tower off the beaten path, heading up there to see what I might find, and finding a chest with some stupid fucking collectible for an achievement. 

I thought that No Man's Sky would solve that problem.  Ironically it takes it to new heights, where those things are basically the only notable features on the environments.
Shoes...

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 11:05:00 pm »

If the poll doesn't have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 choices, I'm not interested...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 11:50:29 pm »

Yeah, they deffo overdid it on the EZmodo nature and the even dispersal of civilization. Probably, I suspect, because they don't actually have that much in the way of base content yet--three species all at the same exact technological development.

Nah. I've already put 22 hours in, so it's basically past my cost-time threshold. If I really wanted to be a scumbag I could blitz games that had plausible reasons to be refunded and then do so, but frankly if you already got your money's worth it's a kinda shitty thing to do. Maybe if it didn't run at all for me or something I would.

That is the thing with games no adays just inflating the playing times by adding more and more grinding that you have to push through...

It actually took me those 7 hours to basically find out I was completely and utterly ripped off.
And that's fine. It's a personal metric.

So marketing costs +$30 per unit?
Console companies love their console prices. It's why so many multi-platform games released by big-name devs and publishers sell for $60 when there's no reason for good little capitalists to not do so. The age of digital-distribution games being less expensive for the consumer to reflect the markedly lower cost of production and distribution is just as dead as the concept of owning products which you purchase. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 11:52:55 pm »

Do you support copyright?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 12:16:19 am »

Do you support copyright?

Kind of a "Support our troops" thing isn't it?

I don't like all aspects of our current Copyright (like our current "Copyright never realistically runs out anymore"), but I like the idea and some aspects of it.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 12:37:50 am »

Which parts? Author credit?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 12:49:51 am »

Copyright is for protection of intellectual property, if we didn't have it anything you made could be taken, reused, marketed, and profited from without your consent and certainly without you being paid.  The system as it currently exists is somewhat counter-productive, but is infinitely preferable to not having it at all.

This conversation gets ground into the dirt here in the internet and nothing productive ever comes of it, leave it alone.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 12:56:31 am »

Very well.

From what I've seen of the game, it isn't so bad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 01:04:13 am »

Copyright is for protection of intellectual property, if we didn't have it anything you made could be taken, reused, marketed, and profited from without your consent and certainly without you being paid.  The system as it currently exists is somewhat counter-productive, but is infinitely preferable to not having it at all.

Basically.

The fact that Copyright currently never runs out is a rather big one. Copyright trolling, Copyright Migration madness, Excessive Copyright restrictions on things such as singing the happy birthday song in a home video that you post online (a song that people have argued isn't truly owned), excessive penalties that don't reflect the modern times, Licensing "You only borrow it" copies, Sabotaging your own products to retain copyright, Overextended Copyright association (Mostly a UK thing actually).

You know... same old stuff to name a few.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:05:58 am by Neonivek »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 01:05:30 am »

I meant what parts do you like?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 01:56:49 am »

Basically.

The fact that Copyright currently never runs out is a rather big one. Copyright trolling, Copyright Migration madness, Excessive Copyright restrictions on things such as singing the happy birthday song in a home video that you post online (a song that people have argued isn't truly owned), excessive penalties that don't reflect the modern times, Licensing "You only borrow it" copies, Sabotaging your own products to retain copyright, Overextended Copyright association (Mostly a UK thing actually).

You know... same old stuff to name a few.

Spoiler: That song is in the public domain now, as the result of a lawsuit.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:59 am »

Thank freeken goodness!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 02:16:28 am »

Does Disney still claim Mickey as a trademark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 02:23:04 am »

Does Disney still claim Mickey as a trademark?

Yes... and will for decades to come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10