Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 139548 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! "Nah, too easy. I'll make a god instead."
« Reply #645 on: October 01, 2016, 06:12:11 am »

. Plus, it's probably not even that heavy to begin with, so not too worried, since most weight comes from armour, I researched lightweight armour, and the design philosophy of the super-soldier from the beginning was light and fast.
In your case a lot of weight would be coming from the pair of bloody nuclear reactors you've got on there. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 01, 2016, 06:20:32 am »

Doctor Ozarck here wants to invite everyone along for the Grand Tour of Reality. He pops up in everyone's personal room and gives you option to ascend beyond humanity, immortality via nanomahchines, super powers from god and membership in swarm soul communications network. The man is either very selfless or plans to integrate your individuality into the collective by force.

Yeah, no.

Anyway, then there's the equipment.

The Executive Producer has:
  • Improved learning, coordination and reaction times II.
  • Is integrated into a hive mind with about 11 EPAs and a copy of himself, possessing executive control over his elements.
  • Each member of the EP collective has the WHW suite of implants, allowing teleportation of up to 2 cubic meters of volume (operates at the speed of light) at a time (WHW-T), advanced rangefinding (WHW-R), telepathic communication (WHW-B) and interrogative telepathy (WHW-ASE).
  • All members of the EP are imprinted on Doc George, and have within them a killswitch installed earlier as an experimental safety measure (render it nonfunctional in the actual field of battle, however).
  • Mundane equipment of the EP's choice.
  • A 1 cm stone sphere that contains another EP's original mind and enhancements, and is in contact with the hive mind.

Pretty humble stuff, all in all.

Post-research work: copy the EP down one more time as a stonemind for future use, and disable the killswitch for actual field activity. They've earned it! Oh, and give my corporate overseers the memory wipe technology for test subject recycling purposes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:47:40 am by Harry Baldman »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 01, 2016, 06:44:26 am »

The teleportation will probably help to equalize things.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 01, 2016, 09:25:31 am »

Doctor Ozarck here wants to invite everyone along for the Grand Tour of Reality. He pops up in everyone's personal room and gives you option to ascend beyond humanity, immortality via nanomahchines, super powers from god and membership in swarm soul communications network. The man is either very selfless or plans to integrate your individuality into the collective by force.
Quick! Whack the the ozclone with something heavy so I can steal the secrets in its brain!
All units to ozone 1 we have a 1ozy in progress. The ozarks have breach containment, repeat we have a 1ozy in progress.

I dunno, what I do depends on what daemonic spooner gives me to play with.

Ozclone disappears from these two before they can accost him. If they do, however, somehow manage to affect him, he'll dissolve their bodies and equipment, leaving them each in a brain in a jar - the original, before it was even made human sized - the big, clunky one that fills a room. He'll then place all their tech and a living copy of their bodies in their scientists' labs, to be reintegrated with their brains when testing starts.

Yeah, no.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 01, 2016, 09:51:43 am »

-snip-

Your multi-level marketing scheme won't work on me!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 01, 2016, 11:11:04 am »

Oh also.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 01, 2016, 11:33:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: soldier equipment (click to show/hide)

I think that 's everything

@Dustin Hache: did I miss anything?

So. Unit capabilities and armament. I... have no idea how to do this. Do I just summarize everything done so far?

edit:

I... think I got everything?
Oh also.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Quick! Whack the the ozclone with something heavy so I can steal the secrets in its brain!

Spoiler: Oceanic Soldier (click to show/hide)

Just try catching a teleporter with psychic powers. You'll find that's not easy.

Drones need a major revamp to make that possible. They are more aimed for pistol sized weapons, or small SMG at best. Giving them ability to carry three meter long particle accelerator and its pilot electrolaser AND a nucler reactor it needs is just not possible. Total and complete redesign is necessary. Or cheating. Cheating is easier. And faster.
Observing laws guidelines of this universe means after conversion they won't be drones anymore, but rather gunships, and that doesn't fit in term of super soldier any more. Seriously, how overpowered you want spaz to be? His particle cannon already gives him instant kill ability, but having a horde flying particle cannons isn't really fair anymore, not in IC nor in OOC. And I recall you saying he would be on his own...
Cancel it then maybe? I mean, you didn't specifically mention it was overpowered when I was making the supersoldier, even when I sort of outright asked, you only said that I needed to design better lift systems for the drones to use particle beams, so I was thinking it's fine. Was just trying to keep my super-soldier competitive, not overpower him.

Regarding on his own, I meant I wouldn't really develop any groundbreaking new technologies for him. I considered simply adapting the drones to carry some of the other super-soldier technology pretty minor. The quantum brain upgrade was more because that was an oversight on my part. I intended to add something like that all along, but seem to have forgotten to say it.

Single particle cannon isn't problem. It's a big fucking gun that needs powered exoskeleton to even lift it. Your modern quadcopters had no hope of carrying one. You know how tiny quadcopters are? That's why I said you need better lift systems, because I didn't expect you to go that way. But having a fleet of gunships toting particle cannons in addition of the invisible robot overlord... It goes straight into super category alright. Not that Egan's Dreamstream isn't a weapon of mass destruction by its own right.

Hmm, if it is only few, couple, handful of boosted quadcopter drones then maybe... Magic or mechanical science?

Spazyak, feel free to make suggestions. Overall I've been pretty orthodox by mad scientist standards "Faster, Tougher, Bigger Gun, Swarm of Drones". He can't even fly with his main-body or make portals to send the enemies attacks back at them.  :'(

Super Soldier design:

A main body housing the super-soldier's quantum brains. Has nuclear reactors, particle rifle and that mono-atomic blades. His body should be pretty damn fast due to Fast Body. Has an AR Hud to help him keep track of stuff. Has backup for his brains, incase he dies.

Drones co-ordinate with each other and the main body through QE comms. At least a few are unstealthed some of the time, so that they can share their photon senses with the rest of the swarm and main-body. Maybe specialize some drones for super-speed so they can do a rapid fly-by of the entire battlefield to locate all the other super-soldiers.

Both the main body and the drones have supermaterial-armouring, emp hardening, invisibility, super-senses, Thermovoltaics to take care of excess heat from stealth, and more conventional firepower than you would think thanks to Compact built-in systems. Both has some conventional weaponry, probably anti-material rifles, machine guns and missiles, and some mortars on some drones for artillery support? But the super-soldier can specify some things if he likes. Honestly, I'd like to use tactical nukes I could get away with it?

They have modular design, and some modules for different environments if that could be useful. Like different camouflages for the drones when they're unstealthed in the various environments, and possibly an alternate means of locomotion for the drones and super-soldier in the winter, for blizzards and thick snow. Maybe the high-tech equivalent of snow-shoes for the super-soldier and whatever you use to fly around in winter. Ramjets? The base super-soldier would probably be fine even if buried in snow, or if it sinks into a swamp, and probably just walk out. Plus, it's probably not even that heavy to begin with, so not too worried, since most weight comes from armour, I researched lightweight armour, and the design philosophy of the super-soldier from the beginning was light and fast.

And of course, the finalized super-soldier design was made by a super-genius, so it's pretty decent all-over I guess?

Commentary on the game:
It was fun! Good job!  :D

It wasn't mentioned before that drones should have armoring, EMP hardening or super senses. Correct me if I'm wrong. Individual drones could be equipped with extended sensor suite. They are battery powered, so constant invisibility means they'll run out of power quickly. Then again soldier could have recharger array so when they run out of power they could return and swap new batteries on fly.

No tactical nukes unless drone can carry one. Same for missiles. They are after all TINY quadcopters. Machine guns, fine. Anti-materiel rifles... probably can't lift those.

Hey, hey, new development is on ice now. No adding anything new that didn't already exist. Different camo paints are fine, but no alternative locomotion because you didn't make any. So no ramjets. The body is modular, but I don't think you really took advantage of that. Replacing broken parts should be easy anyway.

I would guess it weights some. Basic frame was some chitinous material so it is light, probably no more than 80kg. However biggest weight comes from nuclear reactors which you have two in the torso. So accounting those it should be around 180 kg at least. Armor, as light as it is, pushes it around 200 kg. And that's before adding particle cannon, that's possibly around 80 kg too.

Appearancewise it think whole exoskeleton is around 2.5 meters tall. Reactors take some vertical space, so other parts must be scaled up to match normal body proportions.

One question I have. Where are the brains located? At moment I think they are in torso together with nuclear reactors to ensure constant and quaranteed power.

Also I have "some conventional weapons" listed on my notes. What are those? Those are probably using built in system, ie part of the exoskeleton, which again increases weight.

Spazyak, any questions or is everything clear?

Anyway, then there's the equipment.

The Executive Producer has:
  • Improved learning, coordination and reaction times II.
  • Is integrated into a hive mind with about 11 EPAs and a copy of himself, possessing executive control over his elements.
  • Each member of the EP collective has the WHW suite of implants, allowing teleportation of up to 2 cubic meters of volume (operates at the speed of light) at a time (WHW-T), advanced rangefinding (WHW-R), telepathic communication (WHW-B) and interrogative telepathy (WHW-ASE).
  • All members of the EP are imprinted on Doc George, and have within them a killswitch installed earlier as an experimental safety measure (render it nonfunctional in the actual field of battle, however).
  • Mundane equipment of the EP's choice.
  • A 1 cm stone sphere that contains another EP's original mind and enhancements, and is in contact with the hive mind.

Pretty humble stuff, all in all.

Post-research work: copy the EP down one more time as a stonemind for future use, and disable the killswitch for actual field activity. They've earned it! Oh, and give my corporate overseers the memory wipe technology for test subject recycling purposes.

I don't think Executive Producer's Assistants ever got improved coordination treatment. Regardless, the treatment kind of bleeds through hivemind.

That's a lot of stuff to carry. How much and what does every body have?

Quote from: NAV

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 01, 2016, 11:41:10 am »

In the end we got some very interesting products. We have psychic gray goo, army of velocicats, badass normal, psionic hivemind, ninja Borg, Phobetor's tradesman, invisible robot overlord with literal case of multiple personalities and sapient giant spider.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 01, 2016, 11:56:39 am »

May I request to have an Enhanced F88 Austeyr (an enhanced aug who's full capabilities and differences from other augs will be listed in a spoiler below) for one conventional weapon that's aiming can be synced to the suits hud, left arm
 sputtergun mounted sin such a way it can quickly be activated in melee (sputter gun is basicaly a billy club shaped gun with no trigger that fires when the pin is pulledback and doesn't stop until the ammo is used up)
 a fn scar long rifle-Mk 17 LB (Long Barrel) – 510 mm (20 in) barrel. For long range fire...and more grenadey goodness. Right arm, also connected to suits hud for aiming purposes
A M240G for machine gunnery with infantry modification kit. This is the machinegun usualy mounted on m1 abrams (at least what wikipedia said, otherwebsites didn't specify). On shoulders if possible
And a browning m2e2 lightweight .50 caliber machinegun quick barrely change heavy machine gun if I can, normaly used mounted in vehicles or on a tripod on the ground I want this to be something I can pull out (giggity) and weild like a normal gun to lay tons of fire down.

For grenade launchers and mortar launchers other then those already on the guns I think m203 grenade lauchers mounted on the arms should do.

For grenades themselves, I'd like a mix of smoke grenades, fragmentation grenades, and white phosphorus Am-m14. And one or two concusive.

Also get some c4 I can use, half contained in shells made for the 40mm low velocity grenade launcher on the aug.

Spoiler: Enhanced F88 Austeyr (click to show/hide)

Drones will be equiped evenly between stripped down fn p90s firing FN 5.7x28mm fmj ss190, pp200 firing parabelum fmj rounds, and m320 light weight grenadelauncher modules (should allow for firing of multiple grenades with out need to reload.)
Tried to select guns for the drones that could either be easily mounted with little modification to the gun and would be light weight enough to use while maintaining speed.

Fn p90 would end up requiring parts of the casing remove and replaced but due to how the clip works the end of the clip could be expanded and attached to a feeder.

Drones will use simple frag grenades for grenade launchers
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:33:47 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 01, 2016, 12:15:08 pm »

Before the mission steal Dr. Ocean's wallet and order a ridiculous amount of takeout.
On second thought forget stealing the wallet. Just kill the delivery man when he arrives and feed him to the zombie army.
The things I do for a meal.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 01, 2016, 12:21:22 pm »

I'll leave it to Xantalos to figure out who gets what.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 01, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »

No tactical nukes unless drone can carry one. Same for missiles. They are after all TINY quadcopters. Machine guns, fine. Anti-materiel rifles... probably can't lift those.
I specified that the drones were wielding weapons, you said no to particle beams and now they can only have machine guns? Kind of dissapointing. Or give them mono-atomic katanas so they can at least stab things.

Maybe tiny missiles? Missiles are kind of a drone staple, so I'm kind of shocked you're noping them. My drones are worse than US military ones? How embarrasing!
Hey, hey, new development is on ice now. No adding anything new that didn't already exist. Different camo paints are fine, but no alternative locomotion because you didn't make any. So no ramjets. The body is modular, but I don't think you really took advantage of that. Replacing broken parts should be easy anyway.
I assumed modular design included some modules for different environments? Which is why I didn't actually do any further research on it. Seems kind of pointless to research modular design without modules, and it was part of the original description of the tech iirc.

Also, I thought ramjets are a thing that already exists? Didn't think I'd need to develop it? Just mentioned it as an idea either way.

Also I have "some conventional weapons" listed on my notes. What are those? Those are probably using built in system, ie part of the exoskeleton, which again increases weight.
I specified that in the post you quoted?
Both has some conventional weaponry, probably anti-material rifles, machine guns and missiles, and some mortars on some drones for artillery support? But the super-soldier can specify some things if he likes.
I would guess it weights some. Basic frame was some chitinous material so it is light, probably no more than 80kg. However biggest weight comes from nuclear reactors which you have two in the torso. So accounting those it should be around 180 kg at least. Armor, as light as it is, pushes it around 200 kg. And that's before adding particle cannon, that's possibly around 80 kg too.
Chitinous material is what again? Any reason that can't be replaced with the Super-Material armouring?
One question I have. Where are the brains located? At moment I think they are in torso together with nuclear reactors to ensure constant and quaranteed power.
Sure, that sounds fine. Maybe space them out a bit so that if one gets kilt the super-soldier can still function. Yay redundancy!
It wasn't mentioned before that drones should have armoring, EMP hardening or super senses. Correct me if I'm wrong. Individual drones could be equipped with extended sensor suite. They are battery powered, so constant invisibility means they'll run out of power quickly. Then again soldier could have recharger array so when they run out of power they could return and swap new batteries on fly.
I've made references to them having super-senses before I think, and don't see any reason they wouldn't so it seems odd for them to not have them. I mean, half the point was them to be sneaky scouts along with sneaky assassins, so having super-senses is definitely a must.

Armouring and EMP hardening was assumed by me I think, but again don't see why not, as it should be lightweight?

I thought their capacitor could at least last a day or so? Make the super-soldier a recharger array, or allow the gunships thing, just without the particle beams? Or just a few beams. The drones are annoyingly limited at this point.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:48:17 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 01, 2016, 12:27:00 pm »

Didn't I get an antidazzle orb system in plac,e after my first prank?
That's the Basilisk Effects thing under Head

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 01, 2016, 12:38:37 pm »

Oh daemonic spoon, I spent the morning researching rifles and weaponry of the conventional sense. Hope you enjoy them. They are all in my first post
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 01, 2016, 12:39:23 pm »

More details on loadouts:

In the end we got some very interesting products. We have psychic gray goo, army of velocicats, badass normal, psionic hivemind, ninja Borg, Phobetor's tradesman, invisible robot overlord with literal case of multiple personalities and sapient giant spider.

Avengers, Assemble! :D

Also yeah, that's an important detail.

If I can just deactivate the MMI to avoid complications, do that. Otherwise call up Captain Malpractice again and see if he's willing to try gambling his life on him being able to safely undo his work. I imagine Atreyu will have some choice objects to interact with the good doctor with if he fails.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:50:58 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 75