Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32634 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »

My biggest concern is that if we leave the ship, we'll either have to leave men to guard the ship (weakening the shield walls) or leave it unguarded (leaving it to be destroyed or stolen).

Considering that we haven't taken any casualties (besides our own wound), we could hold this position and let them tire themselves out trying to get through our shieldwall while the archer brothers pick away at them. Once they either give up or mostly die, we can go on to scout the situation out and decide what to do from there.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2016, 04:05:52 pm »

I think two of the archers should fire a few fire arrows into the foliage first, to get rid of any ambushers that might be there. If anybody runs out, the third archer will pick them off.

Edit: Ignore above. +1 to row home.

((Why am I so indecisive? ???))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:58:25 am by vishdafish »

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2016, 04:15:07 pm »

you know, this really raise a legitimate need for developing crossbows. Starting with their predecessors the Lockbow, of course. Far easier to train and use and will make the militia far more effective in defending our land. And more hunters, too!
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2016, 04:30:50 pm »

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. We need some more ranged units. Perhaps we can buy some crossbows from somewhere, or get some english longbowmen settlers/thralls.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2016, 04:35:05 pm »

Fall back. Get out of range of their arrows. And then row home. We'll give them their due soon.
Throw in a vote for this.

As for crossbows, we could import those from europe given the opportunity to do so. But if we need more archers we only need to encourage more men and women to pick up archery.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2016, 04:36:18 pm »

Just firing arrows that are on fire into a forest isint going to do much unless there is a drought, and even then you need a big chunk of luck that the arrow wouldent go out while in flight.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2016, 05:15:40 pm »

Well, I assumed they would coat the cloth on the arrow with oil or tar, so the arrow would burn for long enough to ignite something.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2016, 06:03:58 pm »

You need a specially designed arrow for them. Mostly because, well, imagine firing a normal arrow thats on fire. You would have the fire touching your hand if you went to fire it properly. However, you also need one that protects the fire from the wind, all of which makes fire arrows rather... impractical.
Highly Opinionated Fool

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2016, 06:12:38 pm »

Yeh, true. Changed vote.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2016, 07:16:11 pm »

Why did you vote to go out in the day? We were told that doing daytime activities would've resulted in our death while doing a night raid would've ended with their village pillaged.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:33:02 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2016, 08:15:39 pm »

Because we saw that as "attack in day and die, attack at night and die" which left only diplo or leave.

Seeing as you never voiced your interpretation of the runes, you can shut up, or atleast get rid of the insults.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2016, 08:40:53 pm »

Fall back. Get out of range of their arrows. And then row home. We'll give them their due soon.
Throw in a vote for this.
+1

Also, please no fights over what's already happened.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:54 pm »

I say we kill them. Don't go too far from the boat lest they be trying to lead us into further ambushes, but if we can take out the ambush, then march to the village and call the fucks out for being fucks, then we're pretty well off.

Failing that, shoot them as we leave. We have new meat coming in over the next few years. We can kill 'em.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2016, 01:51:18 am »

So we have the Shieldwall formation, how about the Spitting Porcupine?

Keep ranks and stay where we are in the river. Behind the Shieldwall, have Spears poking out and ready to stab anyone who attempts to get into melee. The Archery Brothers will continue to shoot any enemy they see or don't see but think they can shoot. Keep the non-combatants covered and protected. Possibly throw in a comment about as this is the first time we've met these Skraelings and we figured we'd give them a fair shake. Now it's time to give them a hard shake.

Well their ambush didn't work. Let's see how long they'll keep this up. If they commit hard enough to it, we could end up killing most of them and then go over to the village to file a complaint.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:55:54 am by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2016, 02:00:52 am »

So we have the Shieldwall formation, how about the Spitting Porcupine?

Keep ranks and stay where we are in the river. Behind the Shieldwall, have Spears poking out and ready to stab anyone who attempts to get into melee. The Archery Brothers will continue to shoot any enemy they see or don't see but think they can shoot. Keep the non-combatants covered and protected. Possibly throw in a comment about as this is the first time we've met these Skraelings and we figured we'd give them a fair shake. Now it's time to give them a hard shake.

Well their ambush didn't work. Let's see how long they'll keep this up. If they commit hard enough to it, we could end up killing most of them and then go over to the village to file a complaint.

+1 No risk, no reward. Also, this is a good opportunity for our recruits to gain experience.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36