Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32630 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2016, 07:21:58 am »

But we have non-combatants, are taking fire from both sides, and aren't exactly in the best position to engage the enemy. That we've only lost 3 men is astonishing. Unless leaving now to strike later would be seen as a crippling sign of cowardness, it appears to be the safest option.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2016, 07:25:05 am »

Yep. Make no attempts to repel them. They can't rout us on water. Lets back off and plan our attack.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:24 am »

Plus this synches well with the Scout By Land as well, where we decide to come back within the year, unless you have something else in mind for that.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2016, 07:43:00 am »

you haven't lost three men they have.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2016, 08:13:31 am »

Can we raze the bastards? Should we?

Maybe we should do what the romans did, have our men rest and eat and just sleep through the day on our boats away from their arrows. Then come night time, after our men woke up from a good resting and the enemies been up all day under the sun all unnerved and tired from fear of being attaked at any time, we attack the worn out and sleepy defenders.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2016, 08:34:22 am »

Well, we dont really have a large force(Probably around 40, total. Using one of our large ships and cramming it with all our loyal troops would be bad, and you dont really need or want your largest ship for what we are doing), they probably have atleast tried to call their friends to help out, and we are sitting in what seems to be a narrow inlet, within bowshot in its entirety. We could try pulling out of range back into the bay and waiting, but I know I would just leave scouts and send everyone else back to rest up.

Least, thats what I am getting from scanty details, common sense, and a fair deal of conjecture.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2016, 08:53:13 am »

you are in a small inlet as said above, surrounded by thick foliage, both banks are relatively flat so you could charge if you wanted to. Further down the Inlet of the River gets ever more narrower. The Bay itself is large enough to be out of arrow range. About another 300 to 400 meters down lies the supposed village.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2016, 09:03:57 am »

How many men do we have?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2016, 09:17:41 am »

40 excluding you and Odd. All the Huskarls, the Vikingr and the Rekkr

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2016, 09:20:32 am »

Whats the weather like?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2016, 10:00:15 am »

It's a beautifully sunny day with a few clouds. perfect weather for butchers business.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2016, 10:10:34 am »

Hmm... Perhaps we could set fire to the foliage and advance to the village? We are better armed and better trained. Their archers only pose a threat if they ambush us from the flanks. They will be pretty weak in melee because they dont have steel weapons and armor.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2016, 11:12:07 am »

Hmm... Perhaps we could set fire to the foliage

What?? Why?!

We shouldn't burn anything we intend to raid, and I doubt we could control a blaze that is hot enough to catch fresh living forest on fire.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2016, 11:32:05 am »

Well, we dont really need to worry about trees and plants because we arent gonna live there. If the fire does spread to the village (which I doubt it will), when the villagers are trying to put it out they are easy targets. Also, if we raid at the right time, we can take slaves/valuables before the fire completely wrecks the village. I dont think its a good idea retreating straight away- they know we are here now, and if they find us, they may pose a threat to our loggers and farmers.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2016, 11:34:04 am »

Well, would we want to control it? I mean, we could set fire on both edges and then row back to the relative safety of the zea and watch their world burn in amusement. They'd have to fight the fire to not lose their village, which means strength that should've been spent fighting us being spent fighting fire.

If the fire went out of control and burned them all, nothing's really lost to us. We can just come in after everything settled down and see if we can't pick through some metal stuff of theirs that didn't burn.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36