Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32633 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2016, 02:21:45 am »

I agree? I'm stating that "Train the Leidangr" is an option and purposed a plan that would let us get them up and running  within a relatively short time while also building up our economy so that we can have a very strong military while also having all of our economic ducks in a row.

I prefer the diplomatic approach myself for many reasons, but just felt that I should share the method of acquiring a stronger military quickly without self destructing as it's relevant to the topic at the moment. By the time we'd get the new soldiers on that plan's timescale, I'm expecting to have something like 1.600Hs in income a year. At that point we'll be able to afford 210 Lidsmenn and may very well have need of them.

@Ghazkull: Would having our own Longhousr affect the maintaince rate of our soldiers? As we're housing them and such.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2016, 03:45:05 am »

The Longhouse does not reduce Maintenance.

It has a variety of different effects. First it is the official seat of your "government", secondly it will allow more advanced military actions more specifically to enlarge the military, build extra defenses and so forth.

Remember Huskarls (from scandinavian hus-> house and karl-> man/peasant) are something like your household knights, these men need to be completely hosted by you. the larger your personal estate the larger the amount of huskarls you can sustain.

Apart from that it has also an impact on the number of slaves you can effectively hold, on diplomacy on the chance of getting children and birthing them healthily and some other things.

So yeah rather important. Norse society was one of showing off. The richer you were and the more awesome presents you could give to men and the more you could flaunt your wealth and power the more friends you got. Friends= vassals.

Most of that friend gathering and wealth flaunting and gift giving is abstracted though since im sure no one wants to deal with pages of descriptions of gift giving ceremonies. Most of it happens in your tab with the military maintenance. You are not paying your soldiers, you are giving them presents as it were.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2016, 03:59:05 am »

To be fair I think just about every society was about showing off :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2016, 04:06:25 am »

I'm split, because we could get the Longhouse now as well as one (or two depending on Mead) things, or we could throw it all into expanding finances and put it off til next turn. The biggest issue is that of our first child. We get the Longhouse up, the whole birth will most likely be easier all around. But money.

-sigh- In interest of our wife and our first born, I think we're going to have to build the Longhouse now rather than later. Then we can dive into the world of econonics.

How much would it cost in presents to maintain 200 more Lidsmenn?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2016, 04:12:40 am »

Given that lidsmen are effectively volunteer militiamen, it shouldn't cost anything to get more beyond encouraging growth or immigration.

And presumably we do have a house, just not a longhouse per-say. Besides, we could build a really great one next turn after we start making loads of money. Especially if we start expanding our smithing business.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2016, 04:18:05 am »

You have a tent.

Lidsmenn cost nothing extra, they are militia. Their equipment form Karl to Lidsmenn doesn't improve at all, only their training.

To be fair I think just about every society was about showing off :P

difference here is that in a feudal society, you were born a count and thus people had to obey and follow you. In viking society you were a simple karl until you had the cash to buy yourself some friends, which then followed you out of their own free will turning you into a chieftain.

One theory about viking society is that the entire raiding busines sstarted because the jarls were simply broke from handing out presents so they went raiding, trading and exploring to continue holding on to their friends.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2016, 04:27:54 am »

Wait. So you're saying that 15 soldiers are costing us 220Hs a turn? How does that divy up between the Veterans and the not Veterans?

In retrospect it's not THAT much, and if significantly lowers future potential costs, but I'm still missing that silver. The Lidsmenn where under the "professional" area as are the Rekkr (perhaps the origins of "Get Rekkred"?), so I assumed we were paying them.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2016, 04:33:57 am »

Actually one of the reasons they went raiding was to nick french swords because the french stopped the flow of such weapons to them. A real nice, ornate viking sword would do wonders for social status, and make a nice heirloom to boot.

@SMMI: Whoops, looks like you're right. My mistake  :-[

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2016, 04:38:17 am »

Well you were right about the Honey, so let's call it even eh?

While we've got you here Ghazkull, would you mind clarifying something? If we start up a multiple year research project, will that consume a research action each year until it's completed? So if we'd started buffalo instead of honey, this upcoming turn we'd only be able to select one Research?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2016, 04:46:26 am »

yes.

as for Lidsmenn again:

The Leidangr costs nothing. They are militiamen. trianing the Karlar in the Leidangr up to Lidsmenn costs the one time expenditure and thats it. The lidsmenn in your regular force are professionals and cost money.

anyway update rolling round soon.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2016, 05:21:49 am »

So we're decided on this diplomacy thing then, huh?
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2016, 05:50:43 am »

With 4 votes for it and at most 1 bote for the other options, it seems so.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2016, 06:22:31 am »

Savages - Runes come to my Memory

"Row you dogs! I want to reach that village today."

Your men get to rowing, the youngsters goaded by the older veterans to put their backs into it. Soon enough the Ormrs Call was cutting through the waters of the bay.

Ever so slowly the land closed in around you. Soon enough you had to sail into a river, the village now only a few hundred meters off.

[9+13 Jomar Martial + 10 Corv's Instincts + 5 Odds Rune Magic]

It was quiet, tranquil even, you took a deep sigh and only realized something was wrong when the first arrow sprouted from your chest.

"AMBUSH!" arrows began flitting in from the left and right, hooting coming from seemingly nowhere. "Skraelings!"

[91+13+10-5 Wounded = 109 Critical Success]

Unimpressed you break off the arrow and together with Corv you begin shouting orders. "SHIELDS! Protect the Rowers!", "Archers i want those bastards taken out!"

With practiced ease your men form shieldwalls along the sides of your Ship protecting the Rekkr who continued rowing. Among the vikings the brothers Aki were your only archers. The three of them immediately put down three natives who had come out of the thick foliage surrounding you.

Corv turns to you. "I FUCKING TOLD YOU TO RAID THEM AT NIGHT! BUT NO YOU JUST HAD TO RUN INTO AN AMBUSH!"

Gained Trait: Wounded
Two Huron Youngbloods killed
One Huron Warrior killed

Write In []
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:03:28 am by Ghazkull »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2016, 06:30:23 am »

That Wound roll  8)

Fall back. Get out of range of their arrows. And then row home. We'll give them their due soon. (Edit: Actually, I have a different idea.)

Aaand this is why I wanted to scout. We COULD try to charge them. From the boat. Into their fire. While they're ambushing us.

But I think getting everyone to safety and then dealing death to these fine folks at a later time is the better option at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:45:31 am by somemildmanneredidiot »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2016, 07:04:21 am »

the water in the river is about two meters deep in the center, if you go closer towards one of the shores your men can easily jump out.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36