Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Multiverse Bugaboo: I can't believe it's not Everything: Gaiden [OOC]  (Read 5026 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Bugaboo: I can't believe it's not Everything: Gaiden [OOC]
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2016, 12:14:31 pm »

Being a ghost is only necessary when you're on the job, after all.

Really, I don't see anything wrong with his backstory as-is because mine are always terrible so I can't accurately judge the work of others.
Black lives matter.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2016, 12:18:33 pm »

Just running the fuck away would work and would also play into how you've established him as stealthy

plus it gives him a reason to continue a career as a sniper because he can take revenge on the shits that fucked up his life forever
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2016, 05:37:53 pm »

In my opinion, the fame isn't really an issue. As long as the fame is either attributed to whatever pseudonym he works under, or he just uses false identities, such that someone who knows his work still can't track him down and arrest or kill him, it shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure on the "killed every responsible" matter. I mean, Murdoc does have a point that he'd have trouble killing all of them in their sleep. But... he definitely could kill them all some other way.

If he did manage to get trusted enough to run operations with them, he could just purposely botch it or betray them. Doesn't even matter if they don't all die, so long as none escape, seeing any survivors who get incarcerated could just be picked off at his leisure while being transported or somesuch, assuming of course that other underworld figures who want them dead for one reason or another, doesn't just arrange for them to get shanked a few dozen times.

Or he could recruit some of the other people they conscripted and who would likely still have quite the grudge as well, to help with the whole "murder everyone" plot. Or he could just betray info to people who want them dead, and let them handle it.

Basically, there's plenty of ways to kill them all, and honestly, it could be a lot more interesting keeping it as him having killed them all a long time ago. IT raises a lot of questions of why he's still in the business and his motivations, which would likely be something more complex than simple revenge seeing as the people responsible are all in shallow graves now.

However, you probably should reduce his kill count by an entire order of magnitude. By my calculations, from the age of 13, he'd have to kill just over one person every four days. I mean, he could certainly rack up that many kills by shooting random people and escaping with his cloaking unit, but he probably isn't shooting random people for no pay. Just communicating with his client could take a week if not more, and tracking down his target and planning out his killing would presumably take plenty of time as well, along with getting in and out of the country (since he'd likely need to get false documents and either smuggle in his weapons somehow or acquire and dispose of them). Realistically speaking, it could take months.

Oh also, the whole "in the top 3 snipers" statements is probably setting off a few people's Mary Sue alarms, you probably could safely remove that anyway seeing as it's already quite clear he's good at his job.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2016, 06:42:26 pm »

@Empiricist

Thank you and everyone else for the help. Your suggestions helped a lot. I took several of your suggestions and put them into the backstory. How is it now?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2016, 10:08:58 pm »

If I could throw in my own suggestions, it's always good to show, rather than tell, in the description of a character. What was his family doing that would make them the target of a contracted group? Who is this contract killing group, and what is their ideology and/or objective? How was he able to convince legions of other children to revolt with him? How did they get such easy access to the group's sleeping quarters? Why did they disband rather than sticking together? Who is hiring Nate and who are his targets? What else has he been doing for the past seven years besides sniping? Who is claiming that he is in the top 25 snipers in the world? Himself? A government agency? "Modern Sniper Weekly" Magazine?

None of these are necessary, but merely suggestions that could help fill out who this Nate character is exactly.

If any character raises concerns of Sue-ness, it's important to point out flaws that counterbalance a character's strengths in order to make them appear like a real being and not a God. (Even in the case of God, it's probably best for them to have flaws or limitations.) You say that he is incredibly physically fit and obviously a highly achieving sniper. What areas is he especially weak and vulnerable in? Being a loner, cynical, and suspicious of others are personality traits, not weaknesses. This goes for everyone as well, since I've seen many a player guilty of this, when asked of what their character's flaw is, to respond that they're angsty, or angry, emotionally detached, etc. These are not flaws.

Anyways, I do think your new sheet is improved from what you originally posted.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2016, 10:14:52 pm »

Pretty much seconding everything TCM said.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2016, 01:38:42 am »

Spoiler: Rogue Devourer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:53:47 am by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2016, 02:17:46 am »

Sorry, but given past incidents, I would rather you not join.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2016, 02:36:09 am »

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:09:52 am by Pencil_Art »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2016, 02:59:28 am »

Those Past Incidents involved mechanics.  If you won't let me join, I won't, but I have some friends In this game, and I'd like to enjoy a good roleplay with them.

I assure you there won't be any incidents, It's a new game, and I'd like to be cool here.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2016, 12:21:15 pm »

Also agreeing with TCM here, but also noting that not all of that extra detail has to be in the sheet seeing as some of it could make for good stories to tell IC,  especially the reasons for disbanding, seeing as if others managed to carve out a legitimate living or some such and thus couldn't be associated with him, it could raise a nice mix of conflicting emotions such as pride, envy, and bitterness.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:24:41 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »

I had considered having them stick together and form their own group, but decided against it because I didn't feel like it fit with the 'lone sniper' concept.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »

Those Past Incidents involved mechanics.  If you won't let me join, I won't, but I have some friends In this game, and I'd like to enjoy a good roleplay with them.

I assure you there won't be any incidents, It's a new game, and I'd like to be cool here.
After consulting with the players, quite a few of them actually don't want you in either for the same reasons, not that I wasn't willing to give the benefit of the doubt and not that nobody vouched for you. Sorry, but my ruling stands.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2016, 04:12:56 pm »

I'll vouch for him if it helps. He and I have been friends for years.

Glory to United Forenia!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2016, 04:21:20 pm »

Eh. Possibly not. Again, it was a majority of the players who didn't want him in (quite a few abstained, I'll be honest).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7